Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2008, 13:47   #4361  |  Link
drmpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by azad View Post
I guess thats it, somewhere in this forum I read that xport uses the first "I" frame for chopping the audio frames before.
Actually, it checks the first two frames in the first GOP with a Sequence header (or SPS). The frame with the earliest PTS is then selected for the audio cut point. Usually, this will be the first B-frame if the GOP is IBBP or IBP. If the GOP is IPPP, then the I-frame will be selected.

If the GOP is not closed, and you discard the ugly looking B-frames before re-encoding, then you should compensate the audio delay for the discarded frames.

Ron
Old 21st April 2008, 14:37   #4362  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmpeg View Post
Actually, it checks the first two frames in the first GOP with a Sequence header (or SPS). The frame with the earliest PTS is then selected for the audio cut point. Usually, this will be the first B-frame if the GOP is IBBP or IBP. If the GOP is IPPP, then the I-frame will be selected.

If the GOP is not closed, and you discard the ugly looking B-frames before re-encoding, then you should compensate the audio delay for the discarded frames.
Hmmmmm... I'm using a quite different method: I'm calculating the PTS difference between the first video and audio packet. Additionally I'm counting the number of video frames before the first sequence header (which are dropped for demuxing). The delay used for audio demuxing is then PtsDifference+DroppedFrameCount*FrameDuration.

Two very different algorithms. But I guess the end result will be roughly identical?
Old 21st April 2008, 14:48   #4363  |  Link
umaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I think already joined files will not work too well because eac3to will not know where exactly the join points are. So eac3to will not be able to do special processing on the timestamps on the join points. The best result will definitely be achieved by feeding the separate m2ts parts to eac3to and letting eac3to do all the work.

Basically I'm planning to handle the joining in such a way that the video at the join points is seen as a constant stream of frames without any gaps/overlaps (if necessary I'll change the timecodes accordingly). The audio timestamps will then decide about where eac3to will add/remove audio frames. If the parts were already joined before eac3to gets active, eac3to cannot do anything about the video timecodes. That means there may be a tiny amount of motion judder at the join points - depending on how well TsRemux is working...
wow, sounds promising indeed.. thanks for explaining things.. i got all my seamless branching sources ready to be re-riped then.. thanks alot for all ur work, my remuxed hddvds are grateful that they are in such a cool form & shape now
Old 21st April 2008, 15:47   #4364  |  Link
shambles

for the seamless branching titles with 20+ m2ts segments, blu-ray playlist file support would also be neat
Old 21st April 2008, 15:52   #4365  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

i guess that blu-ray playlist support could be hard to establish, since there can be various longer playlists, which do not necessarily have to be the main movie. might be hard to let a prog find out then which the correct playlist for the main movie is.
Old 21st April 2008, 16:20   #4366  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
i guess that blu-ray playlist support could be hard to establish, since there can be various longer playlists, which do not necessarily have to be the main movie. might be hard to let a prog find out then which the correct playlist for the main movie is.
How do you find that out manually?
Old 21st April 2008, 16:40   #4367  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

use bdedit
Old 21st April 2008, 17:07   #4368  |  Link
inmetzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post
So what you are telling me is that you didn't even BOTHER to look and see what the pastebin.com is? Pastebin is a site DESIGNED to allow the pasting of long log files. The interface is designed to allow for easy review and they can be expired after a period of time instead of taking up space here FOREVER. From the top of the page you didn't read "pastebin - collaborative debugging tool"
Hi BLKMGK, sorry but I looked at pastebin and i thought it was really a joke of you to paste there. I didnīt understand how I can use and connect the pastebin with the forum. Iīm trying it next time. newbee ;-)
Old 21st April 2008, 20:00   #4369  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
The Haali Matroska Muxer DirectShow filter puts the string there, I've no direct control over it.
so, why I get your tool as "writing app" when I parse a matroska file created with eac3to ? I didn't mention the "muxing app" in my last sentence.

btw, many thanks for the last update...
Old 21st April 2008, 20:01   #4370  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
How do you find that out manually?
basically trial and error :P
open the pls files and have a look at the filenames displayed there. in case of only 1 and 2 big files its quite easily mostly. but take close encounters with its 3 different versions, i wouldnt know how a program should be able to differentiate which of those 3 versions the user actually means
Old 21st April 2008, 20:33   #4371  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13 View Post
so, why I get your tool as "writing app" when I parse a matroska file created with eac3to ?
Because the Haali Matroska Muxer DirectShow filter is running inside of the eac3to process. Evidently the filter writes the process it's running in into the MKV. If you use the Haali Muxer in GraphEdit, you'll see "GraphEdit" in the MKV header.

If you want the eac3to version in the MKV header, you can simply rename "eac3to.exe" to "eac3to v2.41.exe". The Haali Matroska Muxer will then most probably write the version number into the MKV file for you... Please note that renaming eac3to.exe results in that Nero's Audio Decoders stops working, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
basically trial and error :P
open the pls files and have a look at the filenames displayed there. in case of only 1 and 2 big files its quite easily mostly. but take close encounters with its 3 different versions, i wouldnt know how a program should be able to differentiate which of those 3 versions the user actually means
Ah well. I wish there was a way to get names for the playlists, as we can with HD DVDs.
Old 22nd April 2008, 00:04   #4372  |  Link
Chumbo

Thanks madshi. 2.41 logging is working.
Old 22nd April 2008, 02:20   #4373  |  Link
BLKMGK

There has to be a way for hardware players to know what combination of files leads to which showing of the film. It might even be possible to play around with an authoring tool that supports the seamless stuff to figure out what file controls this. Perhaps someone can help with this, it's a shame the format seems so poorly documented.
Old 22nd April 2008, 03:12   #4374  |  Link
Yraen

Quote:
eac3to v2.40 released
* added: "-check" option added to check container for corruption
madshi,

When I use the -check option it appears to start demuxing all the tracks. Is this supposed to happen? I'm not sure where the files want to go as they don't appear in the eac3to folder nor the source folder. Are they just temp files or is it only read into memory and discarded as it checks out okay? Here's a log from a -check.
Code:
eac3to v2.41
command line: eac3to  "H:\HD\33895594_PREDATOR\BDMV\STREAM\00028.m2ts" -check
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M2TS, 1 video track, 4 audio tracks, 1:46:35
1: MPEG2, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
2: DTS Master Audio, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
3: AC3, English, 3/1 channels, 448kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
4: AC3, Spanish, 2.0 channels, 224kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
5: AC3, French, 2.0 channels, 224kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Extracting primary video track...
Extracting audio track number 2...
Extracting audio track number 3...
Extracting audio track number 4...
Extracting audio track number 5...
eac3to processing took 7 minutes, 23 seconds.
Done.
Old 22nd April 2008, 03:45   #4375  |  Link
ezryel

Unable to use Nero Multi Channel Plugin with eac3to

Hi Everyone,

I'm using eac3to for converting eac3 to ac3. I now have the Nero 7 installed with the Multichannel Plug in. I start converting the e-ac3 file with eac3to; I immediatley see the below in command prompt/DOS with "-" populating accross the DOS screen underneath "Disabling DRC..."; this lasts for about 60 seconds, then stops and no output file.

What am I missing?

eac3to v2.39
command line: "D:\Downloads\HD RIP utinlities\EAC3toGUI\eac3to.exe" "G:\HDDVD\HD DVD\moviename_D1_NA\Demuxed\FEATURE_1_MERGED.DDp.stream.00.ddp" "G:\HDDVD\HD DVD\moviename_D1_NA\Demuxed\FEATURE_1_MERGED.DDp.stream.00.ac3"-640 -nero

E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:23:27, 1536kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Removing dialog normalization...
Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)...
Disabling DRC for Nero (E-)AC3 decoding...
Old 22nd April 2008, 03:59   #4376  |  Link
Snowknight26

Add a space between the " and -640?
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:14   #4377  |  Link
azad

@madshi

Would it be possible to implement a function that changes the pitch after applying a pal speedup to avoid those chipmunk-effects?
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:15   #4378  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
When I use the -check option it appears to start demuxing all the tracks. Is this supposed to happen?
Yes. eac3to extracts all video and audio streams and handles them as if they would be written to harddisk - but they are not. Everything is done in RAM. The result is that e.g. AC3 tracks are checked for valid CRCs etc... This whole checking is still not as good as mpeg2repair, though, cause mpeg2repair has very detailed tests for the MPEG2 video stream. eac3to only does some very limited video checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezryel View Post
I'm using eac3to for converting eac3 to ac3. I now have the Nero 7 installed with the Multichannel Plug in.
You need the HD DVD/Blu-Ray plugin and not the Multichannel plugin. Please try "eac3to -test" to see whether the Nero decoder is working correctly. Of course you can always use "-libav" to force E-AC3 decoding with the libav decoder.
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:18   #4379  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azad View Post
Would it be possible to implement a function that changes the pitch after applying a pal speedup to avoid those chipmunk-effects?
The pitch is changed by the "-speedup" function. So the chipmunk effect gets removed. However, if the original PAL track was created by using pitch correction, using "-speedup" will actually make the pitch too low. In that case you need to use a software which can slowdown audio while doing pitch correction. TimeFactory would be a good choice for that. But at least here in Germany 99.9% of all movies have the chipmunk effect. So eac3to's "-speedup" option is the right choice for those. The situation may be different in other countries, though.
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:48   #4380  |  Link
azad

Quote:
... But at least here in Germany 99.9% of all movies have the chipmunk effect. So eac3to's "-speedup" option is the right choice for those. The situation may be different in other countries, though.
Since I'm living in Germany too, you mean that I can use eac3to on a 25FPS Pal-DVD AC3 audiotrack with the "-speedup" option to get a nice 25FPS AC3 audiotrack but with the "original" pitch like on 24p BD or HD DVD? That would be great!
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to