Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th February 2020, 06:51   #1  |  Link
Lathe

Number of Ref frames / amount of compression

Hello all!

I asked something similar last year, but I don't think I asked it very well So, I didn't quite get the answer that I THINK I need.

In doing a 1 Pass ABR compression for a Blu-ray where there is VERY LITTLE compression being done. Say for example a file is being compressed from a size of 25 Gigs to 22 Gigs. The resulting encode will be around a 24,000 bitrate, which is pretty decent. Normally, I like to thrown in a couple of little 'Tweaks' such as me-hex and subme-6 so that I can activate both the Psy and Trellis settings and give them a little bump. With this in mind using a VeryFast setting, and YES I am aware of the parameters included in that preset, since the resulting encoded bitrate is pretty high, is the default ref-1 setting 'good enough' or would adding an additional 'Tweak' setting the ref frames higher (2-4) make any discernible visual difference in your opinions.

In other words, should I just leave the ref-1 setting, or should I bother to increase the refs since the resulting bitrate will be fairly high?

Thank you kindly for any thoughts and input. Again, I am asking for your OPINIONS based on the above. With such little compression at 1080p is there any necessity to increase the ref frames higher than the ref-1 that the preset calls for. I am only interested in whether you feel the picture quality would be affected/improved enough to bother. I know the ref frames are primarily a factor of compression, so with such little compression will it matter visually?

Thanks!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote