Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 30th March 2014, 18:21   #19761  |  Link
colinhunt

Ohh-kay, first playback test on a stand-alone player: everything appears to be working and the main movie plays in proper 3D. BUT! The BD drive is making one hell of a racket - it's seeking constantly, apparently reading data from two separate files and making a nasty noise while jumping back and forth between them.

This, I'm guessing, is due to out-of-mux 3D, with main and dependent view data split into two physically separate files on disc. To be perfectly honest, I'm not a fan of this solution, even though it appears to be working fine and so far I haven't noticed any stuttering or skipping in the movie.

I'm very glad jdobbs included the INMUX option - which I'm testing next.

Last edited by colinhunt; 30th March 2014 at 18:44.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 20:11   #19762  |  Link
colinhunt

Test #1 of the mux-in-3D version of Deep Water 3D: PowerDVD 13 plays it without issues - and red/cyan anaglyph 3D has separation and depth. So far, so good. Burning data on BD-RE next for testing on a stand-alone.
Old 30th March 2014, 20:18   #19763  |  Link
Starfiresg1

I did a full backup of Man of Steel to BD25 without blanking etc.. There were no issues during encoding. The resulting disc played fine in TMT and my standalone Panasonic.
I currently have a job of Jurassic Park running - its about 80 percent done.
Starfiresg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 20:33   #19764  |  Link
AmigaFuture

@jdobbs

I updated my previous post.
Old 30th March 2014, 20:46   #19765  |  Link
Rich86

Convert BD to DVD - forcing a sub to "on"

When converting a BD movie to DVD, selecting a subtitle to be forced on does not work.
Example = "The Book Thief" blu-ray.
The 1st subtitle is regular english. The last is forced english subtitles.
I selected both english subtitles to be included in the conversion, and clicked 2nd english subtitle to be forced on, and ran BDRB.
Both subtitles were converted, but the 2nd english subtitle was not forced on.
Workaround: use PGCEdit to open up the output DVD on hard disc and insert a "setstn" command to force the 2nd english subtitle on.

Last edited by Rich86; 30th March 2014 at 20:48.
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 21:07   #19766  |  Link
colinhunt

Yes! Excelsior! The in-mux-3D version plays nicely on a stand-alone - and there are no extraneous seeking noises coming from the drive!

Furthermore, Stereoscopic Player is A-OK with in-muxed .m2ts files, and there's even no need to rename them to SSIF
Old 30th March 2014, 22:52   #19767  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
Ohh-kay, first playback test on a stand-alone player: everything appears to be working and the main movie plays in proper 3D. BUT! The BD drive is making one hell of a racket - it's seeking constantly, apparently reading data from two separate files and making a nasty noise while jumping back and forth between them.

This, I'm guessing, is due to out-of-mux 3D, with main and dependent view data split into two physically separate files on disc. To be perfectly honest, I'm not a fan of this solution, even though it appears to be working fine and so far I haven't noticed any stuttering or skipping in the movie.

I'm very glad jdobbs included the INMUX option - which I'm testing next.
It is in the standard... so the player is REQUIRED to play it. If it makes noise, it is a fault in the player. My Sony player takes it in stride.

Sorry -- but that is a fact. With that said, though, I'll probably cause fewer headached for myself if I make in-mux the default in the next release.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th March 2014 at 23:02.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 22:54   #19768  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
When converting a BD movie to DVD, selecting a subtitle to be forced on does not work.
Example = "The Book Thief" blu-ray.
The 1st subtitle is regular english. The last is forced english subtitles.
I selected both english subtitles to be included in the conversion, and clicked 2nd english subtitle to be forced on, and ran BDRB.
Both subtitles were converted, but the 2nd english subtitle was not forced on.
Workaround: use PGCEdit to open up the output DVD on hard disc and insert a "setstn" command to force the 2nd english subtitle on.
Hmm... I didn't think of that when I wrote the conversion software. I'll look into forcing them.
Old 30th March 2014, 22:57   #19769  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
Yes! Excelsior! The in-mux-3D version plays nicely on a stand-alone - and there are no extraneous seeking noises coming from the drive!

Furthermore, Stereoscopic Player is A-OK with in-muxed .m2ts files, and there's even no need to rename them to SSIF
Cool.
Old 30th March 2014, 23:02   #19770  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It is in the standard... so the player is REQUIRED to play it. If it makes noise, it is a fault in the player.
It's not really a fault, it's just regular seeking noise created by the motors. It's only noticeable because the drive is seeking constantly.
Old 30th March 2014, 23:03   #19771  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
@jdobbs

I updated my previous post.
Thanks.
Old 30th March 2014, 23:07   #19772  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Cool.
Oh, very much so. There's another donation coming your way soonish to celebrate this milestone

When you begin fine-tuning, looking into blanking etc., could you please give the sizing algorithms another look? It seems that currently encodes come out 1.5 gigabytes too small when Output target is BD-25. I just finished another test run of Khumba 3D, and even with a silly Custom target size of 24550MB, it came out 1.5GB short of a full disc.
Old 30th March 2014, 23:11   #19773  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Well it's chugging along at 6-8fps on my rig on w7, question though jdobbs qly chance you could implement cuda encoding to speed things up at least a little for users like me that do not have an i-series rig to use quicksync?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 23:18   #19774  |  Link
colinhunt

Some info I saw on Nvidia's Whitepaper on Kepler GPUs:

"All Kepler GPUs also incorporate a new hardware-based H.264 video encoder, NVENC. Prior to the introduction of Kepler, video encoding on previous GeForce products was handled by encode software running on the GPU’s array of CUDA Cores. While the CUDA Cores were able to deliver tremendous performance speedups compared to CPU-based encoding, one downside of using these high-speed processor cores to process video encoding was increased power consumption. By using specialized circuitry for H.264 encoding, the NVENC hardware encoder in Kepler is almost four times faster than our previous CUDA-based encoder while consuming much less power.

It is important to note that an application can choose to encode using both NVENC hardware and NVIDIA’s legacy CUDA encoder in parallel, without negatively affecting each other. However, some video pre-processing algorithms may require CUDA, and this will result in reduced performance from the CUDA encoder since the available CUDA Cores will be shared by the encoder and pre-processor. NVENC provides the following:

Can encode full HD resolution (1080p) videos up to 8x faster than real-time. For example, in high performance mode, encoding of a 16 minute long 1080p, 30 fps video will take approximately 2 minutes.
Support for H.264 Base, Main, and High Profile Level 4.1 (same as Blu-ray standard)
Supports MVC (Multiview Video Coding) for stereoscopic video—an extension of H.264 which is used for Blu-ray 3D.
Up to 4096x4096 encode"

So if I read that right, NVENC can accelerate MVC encoding as well.

My apologies for going off-topic :/

Last edited by colinhunt; 30th March 2014 at 23:25.
Old 30th March 2014, 23:23   #19775  |  Link
cartman0208

Audio speed problem

Hi guys,

I hope, one of you can help me.

I've been using BD Rebuilder for quite a while now, but since some weeks or so I'm experiencing problems:
Usually I reencode audio to ac3 because I mostly do BD9 encodes.
But reencoded audio plays with like a tenth of original speed.

I probably did something wrong with my system and I know its not necessarily a BD-Rebuilder issue but maybe one of you can pinpoint me to the direction, what could be wrong here.

Quote:
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- AVISYNTH Version: [2.5.8.0], Ok
- HAALI Splitter: [1.9.42.1], Ok
- FFDSHOW: [4504], Ok
- WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
- AnyDVD settings check: Ok.
- BD-RB v0.46.0.14, not current
Don't know why it says "not current", I just downloaded it from the website.
Never mind, I just found the inspect inside BDRB:
Quote:
Checking System Settings
- BD-Rebuilder v0.46.14 (beta)
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- Working Path Free Space: 359,62GB
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.8.0, Ok
- HAALI Splitter: 1.9.42.1, Ok
- FFDSHOW: 4504, Ok
- WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
- AnyDVD settings check: Ok.
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok
- FRIMEncode: Ok
- FRIMDecode: Ok
[03.31.14] Systems Settings Check complete
Thanks for this great product!

Last edited by cartman0208; 30th March 2014 at 23:44.
cartman0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 00:07   #19776  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
Well it's chugging along at 6-8fps on my rig on w7, question though jdobbs qly chance you could implement cuda encoding to speed things up at least a little for users like me that do not have an i-series rig to use quicksync?

Right now there is only one freeware choice for MVC encoding... and its core code was written by Intel. Actually it's a pretty smart move -- it makes you wonder how NVidia let themselves get behind.

I know it has me wondering if I may want to buy an i7 processor...

Last edited by jdobbs; 31st March 2014 at 00:53.
Old 31st March 2014, 00:23   #19777  |  Link
DMagic1

Just completed Frozen and all went well. Size was perfect. No playback issue noticed.

On a side note, can want ever flag is used to stop playback if the tv isn't 3D be removed? This isn't a problem with movie only but in full backup it is. I'd like for the disc to be playable in 2D on my other 3D player that isn't connected to a 3D tv.
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 00:50   #19778  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMagic1 View Post
Just completed Frozen and all went well. Size was perfect. No playback issue noticed.

On a side note, can want ever flag is used to stop playback if the tv isn't 3D be removed? This isn't a problem with movie only but in full backup it is. I'd like for the disc to be playable in 2D on my other 3D player that isn't connected to a 3D tv.
It's interesting. All 3D discs will play on 2D players. The standard was designed to assure downward compatibility. But, for some reason, some of the authors put checks in and require a 3D player and monitor. I think it is to make it necessary for consumers to buy either two discs, or to make you pay more for the 2D/3D/DVD set.

Unfortunately, the checks are done in either JAVA or via command sequences. So there's really no reasonable way to prevent it. That's one of the reasons I'm considering removing the "ignore 3D" option. On those discs you can still get the "can't play" message.

Last edited by jdobbs; 31st March 2014 at 01:14.
Old 31st March 2014, 01:28   #19779  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Jdobbs, i don't mind paying a little if it'll do what i want it too. Perhaps neuron2 can help you in that endeavour. As afaik he has experience with cuda due to his dgdecnv. I'd be happy to pay $15 rather than a new system entirely. As for a new processor I'd need a new motherboard, which triggers new ram etc as my current mono doesn't support the i-series. It uses socket lga775. Other than that its currently estimated just over 6hrs for a full 45gb disc. Can't say that that's too bad.

Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 31st March 2014 at 01:31.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 02:45   #19780  |  Link
DMagic1

Quote:
It's interesting. All 3D discs will play on 2D players. The standard was designed to assure downward compatibility. But, for some reason, some of the authors put checks in and require a 3D player and monitor. I think it is to make it necessary for consumers to buy either two discs, or to make you pay more for the 2D/3D/DVD set.

Unfortunately, the checks are done in either JAVA or via command sequences. So there's really no reasonable way to prevent it. That's one of the reasons I'm considering removing the "ignore 3D" option. On those discs you can still get the "can't play" message.
I've only know one software(you can probably guess which) that partially disabled this check. It would play just as long as the player was 3D. The TV didn't have to be. So it seem the 3D player is needed probably to show menus properly but the TV part of it isn't. It would be nice to know how that was done.
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote