Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 14th January 2016, 21:04   #401  |  Link
Nikse555

@mbcd: I was not sure the Blu-ray TextST was used... I think you can change position via the "region style", so I've added the possibility to duplicate a "region style" - in latest beta: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...itBetaTest.zip (last chance to test the beta before the final 3.4.11)

@StainlessS: Don't know much about video decoding... SE just plays via either DirectShow (using e.g. LAV filters) or via VLC.
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 09:43   #402  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
(last chance to test the beta before the final 3.4.11)
There's at least two reported issues that are not fixed yet in the beta. Please see the example subtitle file, on lines 401 and 439 there are two similar problems (words Yourpackage --> Your package and oftwo --> of two). Line 401 remains corrected but line 439 isn't corrected even if I change it manually.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bze...ew?usp=sharing

The other one is that if you import NTSC subtitles via IFO, the timestamps are incorrect. If you first use VSRip to get the IDX and SUB file and import that, you get correct timestamps. PAL subs seem to be fine imported via IFO.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:04   #403  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcd View Post
I am missing some feature to change position of those captions.
SRT doesnt support different positions, but I think that this is an "important" feature.
Cool would be, if position is read out by OCR / Capturing an directly reused.
Also creating different styles and applying them in the editor (on different captions at the same time) would be cool.

Often you have some seconds in the beginning of a film where you can read actors-name or something else.
It would be cool to get a function to shift the text verticaly for some captions, so that subtitletext and filmtext are not on the same position for that case.
If the SRT does not support positioning (other formats do) how do you propose this to be implemented?

I disregard the usability of text subtitles in BD world. It may only work 100% correct if only the 26 English letters and numbers are used. All others depend on the settings and features of the player.

I only miss a possibility to change the colours for PGS subtitles. This I consider a basic function.
Old 16th January 2016, 12:13   #404  |  Link
Nikse555

SE cannot edit image based formats - only import and export ( and only limited styling support in export - http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/Help#export )

Also, SE 3.4.11 is out: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases

Shortened change log:
3.4.11 (16th January 2016)
* NEW:
* New "Binary Image Compare" OCR
* Can now import TextST from Matroska (.mkv) files - thx Rudde
* Can now import "Timed Text image" files - thx Mouna
* Added "Blu-ray sup" output in "Batch convert" - thx Dan
* IMPROVED:
* Some improvements for default ASS/SSA style - thx Michael
* Batch convert now remembers ASS/SSA style - thx Thunderbolt8
* TextST: Can now duplicate a "Region style"
* OCR Window: "Unknown words" is now tab one in the "log tab control"
* FIXED:
* "Normal (remove formatting)" don't remove Unicode chars - thx Fotis
* Fixed bug in spell check "word replace" - thx Sami
* Fixed post OCR correction regarding dashes in dialog - thx Rudde
* Fixed bug in OCR regarding scrambled line - thx jpsdr
* Several fixes in remove text for HI - thx Thunderbolt8
* Some fixes for the "Advanced Sub Station Alpha" properties window
* Fixed bug in color chooser - thx Thunderbolt8
* Fixed bug in "Remove interjections" - thx Leinad4Mind
* Fixed some crashes in OCR window - xylographe/heforfree

The "Binary Image Compare OCR" works better with some subtitles than Tesseract (also, Tesseract has a problem with "...").
Tip: If a letter is recognized wrong, then right click in the list view and choose "Inspect compare matches for current image" and "add better match" or update/delete the old match.

Last edited by Nikse555; 16th January 2016 at 12:22. Reason: typo
Old 16th January 2016, 13:28   #405  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
SE cannot edit image based formats - only import and export
PGS and TXT subtitles have different underlying basic requirements.
If these cannot be fulfilled what's then the purpose of editing them?

I am not criticizing, just wondering...
Old 16th January 2016, 17:56   #406  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
There's at least two reported issues that are not fixed yet in the beta. Please see the example subtitle file, on lines 401 and 439 there are two similar problems (words Yourpackage --> Your package and oftwo --> of two). Line 401 remains corrected but line 439 isn't corrected even if I change it manually.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bze...ew?usp=sharing

The other one is that if you import NTSC subtitles via IFO, the timestamps are incorrect. If you first use VSRip to get the IDX and SUB file and import that, you get correct timestamps. PAL subs seem to be fine imported via IFO.
I've tested these ones, and they still occur. The first one is weird, because the correction is exactly the same for both but it only works for the first item
Old 16th January 2016, 19:50   #407  |  Link
Nikse555

@Boulder: I do think I added those fixes to the "OCR fix list" (see Options -> Settings -> Word lists). Perhaps the installer don't overwrite the "eng_OCRFixReplaceList.xml" file as it should...
If you add a lot of OCR fixes do email me the file "eng_OCRFixReplaceList_User.xml"
Old 16th January 2016, 19:57   #408  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I didn't overwrite the file just because I have added stuff as I've OCR'd things I'll do a compare to see what the changes are and send you my file.

Anyway, the latter correction is not kept if I do it manually while doing OCR; that is, change "oftwo" to "of two" and select Change.
Old 16th January 2016, 20:08   #409  |  Link
Nikse555

@Boulder: Later version of SE writes the user additions to the user file, so it should be simpler to upgrade.
Only the "Change all" button (+ "use always") adds the correction to the OCR fix list - http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/Help#importvobsub
Old 16th January 2016, 20:12   #410  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Not working for me, I just tested with that troublesome subtitle. If I choose Change all or Use always at that point, the item doesn't appear in the user xml file (and is not corrected even though the status bar says so). It seems that the italics are the problem, or the first word of a sentence. I've never seen this issue with words in the middle of a sentence.

EDIT: I use the portable EN (or FI) version.
Old 17th January 2016, 09:30   #411  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Not working for me, I just tested with that troublesome subtitle. If I choose Change all or Use always at that point, the item doesn't appear in the user xml file (and is not corrected even though the status bar says so). It seems that the italics are the problem, or the first word of a sentence. I've never seen this issue with words in the middle of a sentence.
Hm, sounds like a bug but I cannot re-create this...
http://www.nikse.dk/SE1.png
Old 17th January 2016, 10:34   #412  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I did have SE installed at some point, could that have messed things such as paths etc. up? I have uninstalled it and also tested a fresh portable installation, but it's still a no-go.

Did you try loading srt file I linked to and OCRing that one without having those automatic fixes in the corrections list?
Old 18th January 2016, 02:34   #413  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Hello and many thanks for Subtitle Edit . I just updated from 3.4.10 to 3.4.11 on my two laptops (Win 7 x64) and noticed that the the SE icon for .srt files has changed to the default icon for .txt files (Windows Notepad icon) on both setups. But only for .srt files; every other format I've set to default open with Subtitle Edit still have the SE icon (.ass, .idx, .sub, .sup, .ssa). I wondered if anybody else has experienced this or if my laptops are finally plotting against me after years of abuse . Thanks.

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 18th January 2016 at 06:29.
LouieChuckyMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 22:53   #414  |  Link
Nikse555

@Boulder: I cannot ocr an srt file... or did you mean Fix common errors - fix common ocr errors? (I tried to export the srt to bluray sup and ocr that one)

@LouieCheckyMerry: did you use the installer version and did you check the new 'associate srt files with SE' checkbox?
Old 21st January 2016, 04:25   #415  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
@LouieCheckyMerry: did you use the installer version and did you check the new 'associate srt files with SE' checkbox?
Yes, I used the installer version and ticked the new associate box. I also tried resetting .srt files to default open with Subtitle Edit but they were still set to default open with Subtitle Edit so nothing changed. Eventually I saved the Subtitle Edit AppData folders on both laptops then uninstalled-reinstalled Subtitle Edit and all is OK. I noticed, however, that .srt and .sup files now have a "newer" looking icon while .ass, .ssa, .sub, and .idx files have the old icon. Is this by design? I don't really care about the subtly----different icon for .srt and .sup files, I'm simply curious if this is as it should be .

On a related note, a couple-three releases ago (I'm a bit slow, ha ha) the "Fix common OCR errors (using OCR replace list)" started changing (without the quotes) "Mr." to "Mr...". I've added "Mr...-->Mr." to "Settings/Word list/OCR fix list" but that didn't change anything; the only work around I can come up with is to use "Replace" with "Mr..." and "Mr." then hit "Replace all", which of course means that I then have to repeat "Fix common errors...", sort by "Function", deselect all the incorrect "Mr." to "Mr..." lines, then apply the affected "Break long line" or "Merge short line (all except dialogs)" as necessary. Certainly not the end of the world but quite annoying. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks again.

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 21st January 2016 at 04:29.
LouieChuckyMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 04:52   #416  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
@Boulder: I cannot ocr an srt file... or did you mean Fix common errors - fix common ocr errors? (I tried to export the srt to bluray sup and ocr that one)
Sorry, didn't mean OCR but spell checking on the srt file.
Old 21st January 2016, 12:19   #417  |  Link
mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner View Post
Greetings Nik.
There appears to be an issue with add duration in the latest built. The duration of last subtitle always ends up with 3.099 sec.

Many thanks and best regards.
Greetings Nik. Many thank for the new build

1. Did you have a chance to look at the above issue?

2. Does SE support command line mode to convert text srt to blu-ray sup, with all the formatting options available in the GUI?

Many thanks and best regards.

Last edited by mariner; 21st January 2016 at 12:27.
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 10:33   #418  |  Link
S_E_New

It would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcd View Post
Cool would be, if position is read out by OCR / Capturing an directly reused.

It would be nice if it could be with sub/idx and sup.

And also Add "VobSub sub/idx" output in "Batch convert"

S_E_New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 11:11   #419  |  Link
mbcd

Thanks for those Updates Nikse555

Meanwhile I figured out that there is an extended SRT-Standard which includes textposition.

Should be something like this:
Code:
 01:31:56,887 --> 01:31:58,012
 {\pos(250,270)}<i>Come on. Who needs</i>
 <i>something like this?</i>

01:31:58,096 --> 01:32:01,223
 {\pos(250,270)}<i>Who's the target demo</i>
 <i>for a drug like Sustengo?</i>
Also BDN-XML has this option as you know, but I didnt figured out how to take in text there.
My personal goal was to scale subtitles up and down, but imagescaling look too ugly, so I thought to make OCR to do it in an elegant way.

Bluray-Text-Output is not a must-be, it is a nice feature, but not used because of some problemes. I thought it solves my Problems so I tried to use it, but also if it dous not result back in an .sup it does not make sence.

I want to take both in one file, but atm this is not possible. With SRT I loose position, with BDNXML I loose text ... but away from that, the textposition is generally "thrown away" after OCR ... so this is the real problem.

Last edited by mbcd; 25th January 2016 at 11:18.
mbcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 02:18   #420  |  Link
johner23

Hi, dear all!

@ Nikse555

Subtitle Edit can open, create, process or edit .stl files? If not, can you add such features on its engine?

See the thread below to get more information about the subject:

---> http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...-edit-stl-file

Best regards. Thanks for your time!

devil (johner)

Last edited by johner23; 8th February 2016 at 02:23.
johner23 is offline   Reply With Quote