Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st April 2016, 01:37   #37321  |  Link
huhn

use mkvtoolnix to split them.

and make OSD screen with the file with problems.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 05:19   #37322  |  Link
baii

I almost always uses 3dlut and doubling+sr, thing that affect performance for me can be

1. black bar, black bar reduce render time. Haven't really test black bar vs cropped though.

2. Some scenes just have performance spike for w.e reason. I have 1080 60i tv rip from several sources (so individually ripped) and they all have spike at the same scene. This scene seems to be fast panning iirc? cant exactly remember now.

3. a 1080i60 bluray tend to have lower render time compare to said tv rip. It seems that compression artifact(or artifact in general) can increase render time?

Last edited by baii; 1st April 2016 at 05:23.
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 13:21   #37323  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Ok I have the sharpness and anamorphic stretch now working from my ipad but the notifications pop up on the top left hand corner for the profiles created. Is there a way to turn these OFF please, I don't want them to show?

As we have a movie club I don't want to inflict these notifications to my audience.....
Then don't change settings while you're watching a movie.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 18:55   #37324  |  Link
Uoppi

Interesting that with the previous Nvidia driver performance got worse when updating from 09.15 to 09.17 but simply updating the driver shaved off up to 7 ms. Never noticed such a dramatic difference before. Pays off to keep everything up to date, I guess! (I'm using GTX 960 and Win10.)
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 19:09   #37325  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
I almost always uses 3dlut and doubling+sr, thing that affect performance for me can be

1. black bar, black bar reduce render time. Haven't really test black bar vs cropped though.

2. Some scenes just have performance spike for w.e reason. I have 1080 60i tv rip from several sources (so individually ripped) and they all have spike at the same scene. This scene seems to be fast panning iirc? cant exactly remember now.

3. a 1080i60 bluray tend to have lower render time compare to said tv rip. It seems that compression artifact(or artifact in general) can increase render time?
How does black bar affect anything? It's purely black. Are you saying some videos actually have the black bar as a part of the video image and other videos simply have black bars applied to them by the player or renderer to make them fit the format?
Old 1st April 2016, 21:01   #37326  |  Link
bcec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Interesting that with the previous Nvidia driver performance got worse when updating from 09.15 to 09.17 but simply updating the driver shaved off up to 7 ms. Never noticed such a dramatic difference before. Pays off to keep everything up to date, I guess! (I'm using GTX 960 and Win10.)
are those manufacturer's driver versions? do you know your current nvidia driver version? I'm interested to see if updating gives me some ms back
bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 21:06   #37327  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Then don't change settings while you're watching a movie.
I have to change settings when going from 16:9 to scope.

Is there anyone here who can help me please, madshi?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 21:29   #37328  |  Link
nussman

You can not turn off these madVR messages.
As far as I know it's on madshi's todo list, but dont know its high or low priority.

Not a big issue imho ...
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 21:34   #37329  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
are those manufacturer's driver versions? do you know your current nvidia driver version? I'm interested to see if updating gives me some ms back
Yeah, the regular drivers from the Nvidia site.

I believe it was driver version 362.00 that to my surprise worked badly with madVR 09.17, even though no settings had been changed and everything was fine on 09.15.

Then, lo and behold, updating to driver version 364.72 (released this Monday) fixed everything, which was a major relief because I was just about to give in and start fine-tuning my madVR settings AGAIN for each profile.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 21:50   #37330  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
You can not turn off these madVR messages.
As far as I know it's on madshi's todo list, but dont know its high or low priority.

Not a big issue imho ...
Yes its not a big issue for most in a non professional sense. But we have a film club and try to emulate cinema presentation which doesn't show notifications on the screen to the audience when a change is made going from 1.85 to scope.

Currently we do our anamorphic stretch with the projector, but since madvr has been so incredible image wise we want to change over to its anamorphic stretch. If its not a high priority we may have to leave the madvr stretch off and continue to use the projectors stretch.

Still a bit confused why anyone even wants a notification on this one anyway, you visually see the stretch happening on the screen, you don't need to be also reminded of it with a notification on the top left corner....

This has been one of the main grips with projectors that use zoom memory, the notification comes up on the screen, everyone complains about it in the forums, they want an on/off button....
Old 1st April 2016, 22:42   #37331  |  Link
Asmodian

Every device should have an easy OSD on/off option.. but that is another dedicated button.

It would be nice to have for madVR.
Old 2nd April 2016, 01:56   #37332  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Every device should have an easy OSD on/off option.. but that is another dedicated button.

It would be nice to have for madVR.
Sure, if it happened, I'd prefer to be able to turn off different types of notifications. It is nice to have for profiles but annoying for notifications such as fullscreen exclusive mode.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 02:23   #37333  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Still a bit confused why anyone even wants a notification on this one anyway
You could always ask for a refund and besides mVR should come with a license for commercial use IMO, for instance the upscales I see in the news look like junk huh! They show you close-ups of dangerous ppl extracted from CCTV and you can barely see anything, these ppl should use NNEDI3+SR+SSIM duh

These notifications are indeed darn annoying but madshi doesn't mind them and we should consider that he's kind enough to share his work with us for free, he's the one to please and he seemingly likes them......someday in a few years an option to disable them might arrive, just don't hold your breath ^^

Last edited by leeperry; 2nd April 2016 at 02:25.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 03:04   #37334  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
You could always ask for a refund and besides mVR should come with a license for commercial use IMO, for instance the upscales I see in the news look like junk huh! They show you close-ups of dangerous ppl extracted from CCTV and you can barely see anything, these ppl should use NNEDI3+SR+SSIM duh

These notifications are indeed darn annoying but madshi doesn't mind them and we should consider that he's kind enough to share his work with us for free, he's the one to please and he seemingly likes them......someday in a few years an option to disable them might arrive, just don't hold your breath ^^
I cant ask for a refund when I didn't pay for madvr.

I certainly don't mind paying for anything especially AV. There is a whole bunch of people on forums that don't want to pay for anything, I even paid the optional fee for MakeMKV, the developer should get something for all his hard work, why should I expect anything for free in life???

I paid for JRiver as I was sick of the free Kodi with issues. If I had to pay for madvr bring it on, Im more than happy to pay for it. Madshi should be paid by all of us, whats wrong with that?

If Madshi wants to give me a button to turn off the notifications Ill pay today!
Old 2nd April 2016, 03:15   #37335  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Sure, if it happened, I'd prefer to be able to turn off different types of notifications. It is nice to have for profiles but annoying for notifications such as fullscreen exclusive mode.
Warner would you mind explaining exactly what Exclusive mode is doing for me please?
I noticed when I turn it off I get dropped frames, when its on everything sits on zero dropped frames.
The only thing I don't like about it is the flashing on and off when touching any settings....

But I really need to understand what else is it really doing for me beside stopping the odd dropped frames....

I do notice you have to use Window mode all the time don't you, even with Exclusive mode?
When I turn OFF window mode I get lots of dropped frames....
Still learning all this stuff...

But I must admit I have an image from heaven using madvr with Jriver
When I go to scope on my 145" wide screen using the RS600 projector its truly breath-taking, my image is 500% better than when I was using Kodi. Madvr has given me an image to die for, Im almost speechless watching all my 800 BDs over agin...Thank you madshi for this magic of yours!

However I will continue to use the JVC stretch as I don't want to see these notifications for A stretch using madvr. Im sure madvr probably does the stretch way better than the JVC but at this point in time I cant tell

Thanks to guys on this forum who have helped me, its a daunting task learning this new stuff and without you I probably may have given up...
Old 2nd April 2016, 03:40   #37336  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Warner would you mind explaining exactly what Exclusive mode is doing for me please?
I noticed when I turn it off I get dropped frames, when its on everything sits on zero dropped frames.
The only thing I don't like about it is the flashing on and off when touching any settings....

But I really need to understand what else is it really doing for me beside stopping the odd dropped frames....
Exclusive mode is a different way to use Direct3D, madVR has "exclusive" access to the screen so it has more control over how frames are displayed but nothing else can be displayed. This is why it usually has better performance. The flicker is simply how the GPU driver switches modes.

Quote:
I do notice you have to use Window mode all the time don't you, even with Exclusive mode?
Do you mean "enable windowed overlay"? This is also a different mode, this option does not affect full screen playback if "Full Screen Exclusive" is also enabled, Full Screen Exclusive is used when full screen instead. Windowed Overlay is not an exclusive mode but it is a fairly low-level hardware video overlay mode. It bypasses much of the OS, including the 1D calibration LUTs from the ICC profile and screenshots are impossible when using it.

Last edited by Asmodian; 2nd April 2016 at 03:45.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 04:27   #37337  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Exclusive mode is a different way to use Direct3D, madVR has "exclusive" access to the screen so it has more control over how frames are displayed but nothing else can be displayed. This is why it is usually has better performance. The flicker is simply how the GPU driver switches modes.

Do you mean "enable windowed overlay"? This is also a different mode, this option does not effect full screen playback if "Full Screen Exclusive" is also enabled. Windowed Overlay is not an exclusive mode but it is a fairly low-level hardware video overlay mode. It bypasses much of the OS, including the 1D calibration LUTs from the ICC profile and screenshots are impossible when using it.
Thanks for the response...
I did mean enable window mode.

Should the both be used together or not?
Enable widow Mode - yes
Enable Exclusive Mode - yes
Old 2nd April 2016, 11:58   #37338  |  Link
mueslibrown

Quote:

But I must admit I have an image from heaven using madvr with Jriver
When I go to scope on my 145" wide screen using the RS600 projector its truly breath-taking, my image is 500% better than when I was using Kodi. Madvr has given me an image to die for, Im almost speechless watching all my 800 BDs over agin...Thank you madshi for this magic of yours!

However I will continue to use the JVC stretch as I don't want to see these notifications for A stretch using madvr. Im sure madvr probably does the stretch way better than the JVC but at this point in time I cant tell

Thanks to guys on this forum who have helped me, its a daunting task learning this new stuff and without you I probably may have given up...
70mm please continue with your feedback. I too use Jriver with madVR and love it. Although your gripes might appear minor in the grand scheme of technical things from a commercial product perspective they are very valuable. I help create products and no matter how much more I want to show my prospective customers the art of the possible and to go beyond their reference of thinking - ultimately if its a pain to use or is just plain annoying it really doesn't matter how fantastic my product is ...
mueslibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 14:57   #37339  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
b) Do you consider the anti-bloating and anti-ringing options useful for SuperRes? I think anti-bloating might not be beneficial here, but I'd like to hear your opinion. Do you see any benefit in the anti-ringing option? SuperRes already didn't ring that much, so I wonder if the separate anti-ringing post processing option is worthwhile in your opinion or not?
Yes, anti-ringing makes a difference. It's not a huge difference but it avoids some ringing with SuperRes so I think you should keep this option.
Quote:
c) Do you consider the "anti-bloating" filter useful for SSIM downscaling? If so, which strength settings do you like?
I didn't find an example where the anti-bloating filter makes a difference vs simply a lower SSIM value.
Quote:
d) Which of the two anti-ringing options do you prefer for downscaling? (Edit: FYI, these options do *not* affect SSIM downscaling)
I didn't find an example where I found a difference regarding sharpness between these two options so I would choose the strict option to avoid ringing as much as possible. But I use a UHD TV so downscaling is not very easy to test for me, I don't have a lot of samples
Old 2nd April 2016, 20:09   #37340  |  Link
austonrush

Blank Screen

Hey Madashi, I'm getting a blank screen maybe 10% of the time when switching to fullscreen exclusive mode. The player does not crash but, it does freeze my whole computer for about 20- 30 seconds then suddenly it starts working. I've only noticed it since 90.16 was released.

I'm using the latest nvidia driver on windows 10 64bit, mpc-hc, lav and reclock

Anyone else run into this issue?

Last edited by austonrush; 2nd April 2016 at 20:14.
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling