Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th June 2016, 12:11   #38341  |  Link
James Freeman

Thank you for 90.21.

HDR:
1. When I enable "measure frame luminance" the video freezes completely and not even Ctrl+J shows.
2. I don't think 120 and 180 should elevate the shadows, just treat them as all other modes. *No special recipe needed.

The "compress highlight" option is very useful (for me) also when disabled!
But that means that 120 and 180 should be treated as all other modes.

The "preserve Hue" is also very important because after compressing the highlights the color becomes more saturated than it should be in comparison to an HDR display.
So this option is a MUST and madVR does it very well.
But, I sometimes see some images where "preserve hue" is actually too abrupt in transition between the shades and looks worse than without it.
Usually the color is less saturated (sometimes completely white) with it enabled and the transition might be too steep from color to white...
I believe it is because the somewhat steep knee of the highlight compression algorithm. If the goal is not to compress below 100nit the knee must be sharp/steep.

Thank you madshi.
I am sure the HDR algorithm will continue to improve in madVR.

Last edited by James Freeman; 15th June 2016 at 12:37.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 12:51   #38342  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijunglist View Post
Is this just for Intel HD Graphics only or is it needed for nvidia and amd users as well?
It is a single DLL from the Intel Media SDK. It is a software decoder and works with both Intel and AMD processors. You do of course need a CPU that is fast enough to decode 1080p H.264 up to 60fps (2x24 or 2x30fps). No requirements regarding GPU, since it is a pure software decoder.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 21:39   #38343  |  Link
DigitalLF

MadShi i have asked you before about this but i can't get it to work. You told me that your overlay seekbar could be placed in active movie area when a movie is 2.35:1 did i understand you correctly? and if so how can i make this happen? the subtitles gets moved into active movie area with "zoom control, detect hc black bars, crop black bars", but i can't find any info about the seekbar.
Old 16th June 2016, 05:07   #38344  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post

I didn’t see this option in the HDR settings page. Where can I find this?
based on what madshi said i understand that:

if you check the compress highligths you are choosing the tone mapping option and if you uncheck the compress highlights you are choosing the clipping option
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 19:24   #38345  |  Link
Uoppi

What do the double and triple expanded tags do exactly - simply change black and white levels or also something else? And are both the black and white level changed by a similar amount when using these tags?

As the expanded tags have no effect on my setup for whatever reason, I'm trying to work around it using blacklevel and whitelevel tags to correct washed out picture (washed out blacks) on some videos.

It seems using blacklevel -30% seems kind of right so should I also use whitelevel -30% to "simulate" the expanded tags? Or should whitelevel maybe be increased to compensate? I know very little about how these settings are supposed to work.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 00:28   #38346  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you please retry with the next build (v0.90.21). If the problem still occurs, can you please create another debug log with the next build? Thanks.
Thanks madshi with 0.90.21 finally worked, but sadly 930m is not strong enough to handle super resolution plus some sharpener on supersampling...

Btw do you have plans to work on some motion compensate sharpener? On some movie specially on very fast motion scenes the sharpen options produces some bad effect like some contrast flashes thas look like the figures have some tremors, this effect can look as stuttering but is not
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 23:58   #38347  |  Link
mikecks

Hi. I am getting freezing/black screen when using NNEDI3 chroma(any neurons) on a GTX 970 with the latest nvidia drivers, using v0.90.21 and v0.90.20. Any ideas?
mikecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 00:07   #38348  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecks View Post
Hi. I am getting freezing/black screen when using NNEDI3 chroma(any neurons) on a GTX 970 with the latest nvidia drivers, using v0.90.21 and v0.90.20. Any ideas?

Which player are you using? Have the same problem using mpc be x64

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18th June 2016, 00:19   #38349  |  Link
mikecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Which player are you using? Have the same problem using mpc be x64

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MPC-HC nightly 1.7.10.234

*edit* to clarify, the sound continues playing it's just the video freezes up and the player becomes unresponsive.

Last edited by mikecks; 18th June 2016 at 00:22.
Old 18th June 2016, 07:11   #38350  |  Link
burfadel

MPC-HC Nightly 1.7.10.236 was made available on 06 June, try that? . If you use the nightlies, might as well use the latest.

The freeze issue sounds like a driver problem, I would suggest just try using Super-XBR upscaling instead , I believe it's a bit lighter on the GPU. You should balance the settings based on the content being played as well. Have you tried not using image doubling, and using:
Chroma upscaling:
super-xbr (sharpness: 150)
activate anti-ringing checked, activate SuperRes filter, strength 1

Image upscaling:
Jinc
activate anti-ringing filter, scale in sigmoidal light

(image downscaling have jinc, anti-ringing relaxed, scale in linear light, 25 percent anti-bloating)

Upscaling refinement:
SuperRes 1, linear light, anti-rining.

Under processing --> Image enhancements
thin edges (say, 2.5 strenth)
enhance detail (say, 1.5 strength)
AdaptiveSharpen at 1.0
anti-bloating at 25 percent
anti-ringing enabled.

I think you'll like that output. You can try playing around with the image enhancement stuff like different strength for enhance detail and thin edges. It isn't a solution to the issue of it crashing with NNEDI being used, but there are other options now that are much more GPU load friendly and produce excellent results, such as the settings I suggested.

Last edited by burfadel; 18th June 2016 at 07:14.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 08:59   #38351  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

Long time no use madVR, recently updated to 90.21, and found there are many color noises over the screen. OS is XP, and AMD card. Bug?
nijiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 12:20   #38352  |  Link
Telion

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.90.21 released
madshi, just wondering: how come such seemingly not so big changes lead to almost doubling of the filter's file size?
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 17:20   #38353  |  Link
octal9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecks View Post
MPC-HC nightly 1.7.10.234

*edit* to clarify, the sound continues playing it's just the video freezes up and the player becomes unresponsive.
having similar problem with gtx 950 with latest nvidia drivers and latest versions of mpc-hc (same poor performance using latest mpc-be nightly) - using any nnedi3 settings causes dropped frames - is nvidia still bad at handling opencl as in the past?

Last edited by octal9; 18th June 2016 at 17:22.
octal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 17:58   #38354  |  Link
duedel

I wonder why I'm dropping frames left and right with this configuration.
Footage is completely unwatchable, and I don't know why the performance takes such a hit, while my CPU and GPU aren't working to capacity.

Do you have an idea?
duedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 18:05   #38355  |  Link
mikecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
MPC-HC Nightly 1.7.10.236 was made available on 06 June, try that? . If you use the nightlies, might as well use the latest.

The freeze issue sounds like a driver problem, I would suggest just try using Super-XBR upscaling instead , I believe it's a bit lighter on the GPU. You should balance the settings based on the content being played as well. Have you tried not using image doubling, and using:
Chroma upscaling:
super-xbr (sharpness: 150)
activate anti-ringing checked, activate SuperRes filter, strength 1

Image upscaling:
Jinc
activate anti-ringing filter, scale in sigmoidal light

(image downscaling have jinc, anti-ringing relaxed, scale in linear light, 25 percent anti-bloating)

Upscaling refinement:
SuperRes 1, linear light, anti-rining.

Under processing --> Image enhancements
thin edges (say, 2.5 strenth)
enhance detail (say, 1.5 strength)
AdaptiveSharpen at 1.0
anti-bloating at 25 percent
anti-ringing enabled.

I think you'll like that output. You can try playing around with the image enhancement stuff like different strength for enhance detail and thin edges. It isn't a solution to the issue of it crashing with NNEDI being used, but there are other options now that are much more GPU load friendly and produce excellent results, such as the settings I suggested.
Thanks for the advice, but I found the solution to my problem.

I was using nvidia cuvid in the lav filters. I switched this to DXVA (copy-back) and then I was able to use NNEDI3 correctly. The issue of my pc becoming an oven is another matter all together. Thanks all.
Old 18th June 2016, 19:41   #38356  |  Link
XMonarchY

Could someone please point me to a guide on how to calibrate for HDR modes using hardware controls and madVR? Is it even possible with i1Display Pro? This is for LG OLED55C6P TV. I also need to figure out how to enable 4:4:4 RGB direct pass-through mode (also known as PC Mode) for games. There IS Gaming Mode - is that the true 4:4:4 PC mode? Any info on this TV would be greatly appreciated!
Old 18th June 2016, 23:32   #38357  |  Link
cyberscott

[QUOTE=

Footage is completely unwatchable, and I don't know why the performance takes such a hit, while my CPU and GPU aren't working to capacity.

Do you have an idea?[/QUOTE]
I've seen the exact thing with my 4K Samsung TV when playing video content at 60hz through madvr. My fix was simple, I simply set madvr to play at 59Hz and it worked perfectly.

Last edited by cyberscott; 18th June 2016 at 23:35.
cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 23:48   #38358  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Originally Posted by duedel View Post

Do you have an idea?
Hi, your rendering time is above frame interval.

For 60Hz you need to be below 16.67ms.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 00:54   #38359  |  Link
duedel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberscott View Post
I've seen the exact thing with my 4K Samsung TV when playing video content at 60hz through madvr. My fix was simple, I simply set madvr to play at 59Hz and it worked perfectly.
Thanks, didn't work for me sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
Hi, your rendering time is above frame interval.

For 60Hz you need to be below 16.67ms.
Yeah, looks like it. Time to fiddle with the madvr settings again, I guess
duedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 01:00   #38360  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duedel View Post

Do you have an idea?
fedpul is correct. I would recommend targeting something even lower, like 14.5ms or less, for the average rendering stat.

Are you using ordered dithering? Random dithering is a tiny bit faster. You might need to turn off AR.

edit: maybe bicubic 125+AR instead of lanczos 3+AR for luma downscaling?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling