Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th February 2010, 17:13   #6801  |  Link
9020V

I am doing full backup mode. Recently, many backups don't have a title menu, it just starts playing the movie immediately, and the top/title menu buttons don't work. The pop-up menu functions fine, however.

Does anybody know what would be causing this?

I am reencoding for full-disc mode on BD25, and keeping HD Audio for blu-ray, and also selecting an AC3 track.
9020V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 17:58   #6802  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9020V View Post
I am doing full backup mode. Recently, many backups don't have a title menu, it just starts playing the movie immediately, and the top/title menu buttons don't work. The pop-up menu functions fine, however.

Does anybody know what would be causing this?

I am reencoding for full-disc mode on BD25, and keeping HD Audio for blu-ray, and also selecting an AC3 track.
That would have to imply a movie-only backup had been done. If something went wrong with a backup that might destroy the menu, you'd get a coaster, it would never result in automatic playing of the title -- you have to do that on purpose. One possible cause of a situation where you aren't getting what you think you are is if you are using batch mode. In batch the settings used for the backup are always what was there at the time a job was added to the queue. So its possible that someone might change the state of movie-only/full mode and mistakenly start a batch encode thinking that change would have an effect on the job already saved to the queue.

There are, by the way, discs out there that don't have a menu -- just pop-ups.

Last edited by jdobbs; 6th February 2010 at 18:04.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 22:45   #6803  |  Link
rizzo7883

Thanks for the help and info(jdobbs). And most of all A GREAT and easy to use program. I have used it 4 times and I have 4 successes. I am 4 for 4, on compressing A 25+ gig movie down to under 24 gigs so it fits on A BD-R25 "single layer" disc.
Basically saved me $13 A disc!! BD-R50 "dual layer media is at least 5 times more mooooolaa.

THANKS
rizzo7883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 22:57   #6804  |  Link
writersblock29

@9020V

These aren't Warner Brothers titles, are they? Most of the WB movies I have go straight into the movie, and only have a pop up menu. Check your original disk to see how it plays.
Old 7th February 2010, 17:30   #6805  |  Link
9020V

Quote:
Originally Posted by writersblock29 View Post
@9020V

These aren't Warner Brothers titles, are they? Most of the WB movies I have go straight into the movie, and only have a pop up menu. Check your original disk to see how it plays.
For example, do Constantine and Terminator 3 not have top menus?
Old 7th February 2010, 17:42   #6806  |  Link
Willobee

@jdobbs
Have you made a backup of Elton John the Red Piano BD? I tried backing this BD up full disc to BD25 keeping only the English subtitles and HD audio. When I played it back on my stand alone player the menu did not show the Play, Song Selection, Extras or setup choices and I was unable to get the disk to play. I made a movie only backup to BD25 keeping the HD audio which came out around 13.5 GB and it plays fine. I wonder why the main menu did not display properly. I have made quite a few full backups to BD25 and never had this problem. Do you have any ideas on why this may be happening
Willobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 19:46   #6807  |  Link
9020V

One other issue, when you select "keep HD audio for BD25 encoding" does the output options have to be set to "target size BD 25?"

I have been doing custom target sizes of 24000 MB since the BD 25 target sizes always severely undershoot. But everyone I do this on, the audio track that is displayed when I play the disc is "dolby digital 5.1!" How do I keep the HD audio tracks (such as DTS-HD MA).
Old 7th February 2010, 20:04   #6808  |  Link
9020V

Quote:
One other issue, when you select "keep HD audio for BD25 encoding" does the output options have to be set to "target size BD 25?"

I have been doing custom target sizes of 24000 MB since the BD 25 target sizes always severely undershoot. But everyone I do this on, the audio track that is displayed when I play the disc is "dolby digital 5.1!" How do I keep the HD audio tracks (such as DTS-HD MA).
To clarify my previous post, here's an example: The last backup I did, I had checked: limit to one audio track for each language, do not convert dts to AC3, and keep HD audio. Do not reencode AC3 and use 448 kbps were not checked. I only selected the DTS-HD XLL tracks (BD rebuilder would not select these itself, I had to select them all manually - bdr kept trying to select an AC3 stereo track). What I ended up with was dolby digital 5.1 640 kbps (according to the on-screen information display while it was playing), and some chapters had no audio at all (even though it said dolby digital 5.1)!

I checked it with BDInfo.exe and it confirmed that the DTS-HD XLL track had in fact been converted to 640kbps AC3 even though I had told BD rebuilder not to convert DTS to AC3 AND to keep HD Audio. Also, the audio track was blank for certain chapter (no audio).

Any idea what is going on?

Last edited by 9020V; 7th February 2010 at 21:02.
Old 7th February 2010, 22:06   #6809  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
For example, do Constantine and Terminator 3 not have top menus?
Answer your question without assistance - by playing your original BluRay discs...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 22:14   #6810  |  Link
9020V

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Hi!Answer your question without assistance - by playing your original BluRay discs...
Ok. Thanks.
Old 8th February 2010, 00:58   #6811  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

It will keep the HD audio on anything that is larger than a BD-9... so yes.

I have to be clear from my end -- in the hundreds of discs I've tested never once has BD-RB reencoded audio when it was told not to. So I have to believe it is something odd in the source or on your end. That is confirmed by your statement that DTS was never selected... if you select a language to keep -- BD-RB will keep EVERY track in that language unless you have told it not to.

Is this an original disc that we're talking about here? It sure sounds like there has been some preprocessing. What did you use to rip it?

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th February 2010 at 01:00.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 02:38   #6812  |  Link
Capsbackup

@9020V;
Are you using BD-RB in Batch mode?
If so, perhaps try it as a regular full backup.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 03:04   #6813  |  Link
9020V

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post

I have to be clear from my end -- in the hundreds of discs I've tested never once has BD-RB reencoded audio when it was told not to. So I have to believe it is something odd in the source or on your end. That is confirmed by your statement that DTS was never selected... if you select a language to keep -- BD-RB will keep EVERY track in that language unless you have told it not to.

Is this an original disc that we're talking about here? It sure sounds like there has been some preprocessing. What did you use to rip it?
The disc was ripped with AnyDVD. When I use BDInfo to scan the directory that it was ripped to, it shows the full structure with the HD tracks.

This was a very odd disc. When I launched BD Rebuilder, it did not select the DTS-HD track (it had a red X beside it). I told BD rebuilder this time not to just keep 1 track for each language, but it was still x-ed out. I had to go through each chapter and manually double click to remove the Red X beside the HD tracks. I am trying this again except this time I am keeping all the audio tracks. Before I burn this time, I'll check the folder with BDInfo to see what tracks are there. The only other thing I changed was that I told it not to reencode AC3 tracks (what is the purpose of this anyway? Does this reencode TrueHD tracks?).

I am not positive, but I believe I have had this problem with other discs too. Except for a few discs, everything seems to get converted to Dolby Digital 5.1 even if I tell it to keep HD Audio, but like I said, I never select BD25 target size, always custom. From what you are saying, the code allows for the keeping of HD audio tracks if the size is greater than 8500 MB, whether it's custom or BD25 target.

Edit: I think I found the problem. The HD audio track is not in English, and the only audio tracks I was telling it to keep were English tracks. However, previously I manually added the HD tracks, which were not retained, but were converted to DD 5.1. I don't know if this is a bug. Can somebody else try to make a project that only retains English tracks on the initial scan, then add the non-English HD audio track manually by double clicking it and see if it is reencoded despite the option to keep HD audio?

Last edited by 9020V; 8th February 2010 at 03:09.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:53   #6814  |  Link
Race Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post

Here's one for you jdobbs!

Try "Pan's Labyrinth" US release. It's DTS HD-MA 7.1. I did full to 25, with all relevant boxes checked to keep the MA 7.1 "as is" but I got a recode to DD5.1 640k.

So then I tried to do "movie only" to 25, keeping all sound & subs. The flick itself is only 19+GB, so BD-RB should've "picked it up & put it down", but once again, I get a DD5.1 recode! Here's the log from that:

====================================

[09:31:15] BD Rebuilder v0.31.06 (beta)
- Source: PANS_LAB
- Input BD size: 18.83 GB
- Approximate total content: [01:59:09.183]
- Target BD size: 23.39 GB
- Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
[09:31:22] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [09:31:22] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00006]
- [09:42:40] Reencoding: VID_00006 (1 of 1)
- [09:42:40] Collecting video information
- [09:42:40] Keeping original video (no reencode)
- [09:42:40] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
- [09:51:38] Multiplexing M2TS
[10:02:38]PHASE ONE complete
[10:02:38]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [10:02:38] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[10:17:48] - Encode and Rebuild complete
[10:17:48]JOB: PANS_LAB

=====================================

For the heckuvit, I then took that movie only output, opened the playlist with tsM & "added" the (4.37GB) demuxed DTS-HD track left behind in the WORKFILES folder. I outputted it as Blu Ray, burned it to RE & BOOM....., I now have the 7.1 track!

See ya!
Race Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 16:34   #6815  |  Link
jdobbs

I'll pick up a copy of "Pan's Labyrinth", do a BD-25 movie-only backup, and see what happens.
Old 8th February 2010, 20:24   #6816  |  Link
setarip_old

@9020V

You still haven't answered a very direct question asked of you by "jdobbs": " Is this an original disc that we're talking about here? "

Additionally, I'd ask you, what is the title of the BluRay and what is the region?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 22:18   #6817  |  Link
writersblock29

@9020V

Terminator 3 launches straight into the movie. I can't vouch for Constantine, however, since I don't have that title.
Old 9th February 2010, 05:33   #6818  |  Link
Bystander

I just tried the Blu-ray disc of 2L - The Nordic Sound. It has a DTS MA HD, LPCM, and DD. I have the option using the latest beta to pick the DTS MA or LPCM. If I pick the DTS MA HD track only (which is what I want) it processes 100%, but when I go to playback in TMT3 it reports DD 640kps with no extra audio to choose. Any ideas to fix this?
Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 14:17   #6819  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bystander View Post
I just tried the Blu-ray disc of 2L - The Nordic Sound. It has a DTS MA HD, LPCM, and DD. I have the option using the latest beta to pick the DTS MA or LPCM. If I pick the DTS MA HD track only (which is what I want) it processes 100%, but when I go to playback in TMT3 it reports DD 640kps with no extra audio to choose. Any ideas to fix this?
What does BDInfo say your backup has for the audio?
If this is not a BD-25 backup, BD-RB will not keep the HD audio. BD5/9 backups will not have HD audio.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 14:30   #6820  |  Link
Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
What does BDInfo say your backup has for the audio?
If this is not a BD-25 backup, BD-RB will not keep the HD audio. BD5/9 backups will not have HD audio.
I am re-doing the process as I type. My target size is 60GB so that it does not compress or shrink it down for BD-25. Will report what BD-Info reports when it completes in a few minutes.
Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote