Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 14th August 2010, 02:09   #9201  |  Link
geomtchr

Some movie issues

I am having trouble with some movies using Bd rebuilder. They are, The Number 23, Stranger Than Fiction, and Pitch Black. All completed successfully but when I play the in my Panasonic DMPBD85 and DMPBD60. it just cycles back to the menu screen. All other movies have copied flawlessly. Ripped with ANY DVD. But Total Media Theater plays all three with no problems.
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7600]
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.7.0, Ok
- HAALI Splitter: Ok
- FFDSHOW: 3326, Ok
- WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
- BD Rebuilder v0.34.0.7, Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- MP4BOX: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok
geomtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 04:44   #9202  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomtchr View Post
I am having trouble with some movies using Bd rebuilder. They are, The Number 23, Stranger Than Fiction, and Pitch Black. All completed successfully but when I play the in my Panasonic DMPBD85 and DMPBD60. it just cycles back to the menu screen. All other movies have copied flawlessly. Ripped with ANY DVD. But Total Media Theater plays all three with no problems.
- FFDSHOW: 3326, Ok
- BD Rebuilder v0.34.0.7, Ok
Are you backing up to DVD-5/9 or BD-25?
Old 14th August 2010, 05:01   #9203  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknstiff View Post
I had the same problem, I was doing movie only and BD_RB didn't have any selectable audio even though you know there has to be something there. If I remember correctly, running it thru Clown_BD fails also, but I used tsMuxeR_GUI output to bluray format to finally get a 224K stream that BD_RB recognizes. Then if you set BD_RB to use 224 audio it comes out fine. (THIS IS FOR MOVIE ONLY OF COURSE). This kind of audio has shown up on a couple other foreign disks. Happy Encoding!
I must have is understood how to select the 224 audio. I used the 224 audio and BDRB encoded it fine but it was the director’s commentary.

I did used Tsmuxer to demux both and muxed the BDRB video back with the untouched master audio and it worked. It was 9g but that’s ok. One thing however this was the only encode that I have ever done that the picture was much worse than the original. As older movies go the original was also very grainy but noticeably better than the encode.
datman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 05:03   #9204  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post
I must have is understood how to select the 224 audio. I used the 224 audio and BDRB encoded it fine but it was the director’s commentary.

I did used Tsmuxer to demux both and muxed the BDRB video back with the untouched master audio and it worked. It was 9g but that’s ok. One thing however this was the only encode that I have ever done that the picture was much worse than the original. As older movies go the original was also very grainy but noticeably better than the encode.
With 9Gig in audio it's no wonder...
Old 14th August 2010, 07:17   #9205  |  Link
pasadena

Hi all and thanks to Jdobbs for his excellent work with BD Rebuilder.

PS. I apologise for the long post in advance and if this has been addressed previously. I have attempted to search and read this thread where I can to solve my issues.

Hardware/Software: DVDfab and AnydvdHD to rip movies, the latter where I can. Splash Lite, VLC, PowerDVD, Corel WinDVD Pro to test out my backups. I do movie only backups to DVD-5 for playback on my PS3 60GB. I use Win 7 Ultimate x64/Q9650/XFX5770 and a Pioneer BDR-205BK and BDC-202BK for ripping.

I am using the current build and have been since .04. I use AVIsynth 2.5.7, Haali Matroska Splitter and ffdshow-rev3507_20100707_x64. I set MPEG2 to libavcodec and VC-1 to wmv9. For bdrb, I set my output to a custom size 0f 4195mb to fit onto a fat32 file system, normal priority, highest (very slow), both one pass CRF and ABR encoding unchecked, use open gops for encoding and have selected 1 audio english track and english subtitles with limit to one track per language unchecked.

I have had no problems ripping my movies to the Hard Drive but have encountered issues with subtitles where I have not been able to enable forced subs to work or even to have subs working in the first place for foreign films through bdrb. These being 2012 and Kungfu hustle respectively.

Of late, BDrb has not been able to process Dark Knight and Nanny Mcphee. As well, Nanny Mcphee and the Big Bang and Clash of the Titans finish processing, plays back fine on a PC but get jerky video playback on the PS3, either from a passport connected to the PS3, playing it stored on the PS3 or streamed via PS3 Media Server. There's obviously something the way that these have been procesed that my PS3 seems to disagree on.

Nanny Mcphee (Region Free) and Nanny Mcphee and the Big Bang (Region B) is an AUS double disc blu-ray set.

Nanny Mcphee comes back with the following error:
-----------------------
[02:56:38] BD Rebuilder v0.34.07 (beta)
- Source: NANNY_MCPHEE_GLO
- Input BD size: 29.17 GB
- Approximate total content: [01:38:36.952]
- Target BD size: 4.10 GB
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Quality: Highest (Very Slow), Two Pass
- Audio Settings: AC3=1 DTS=1 HD=0 Kbs=640
[02:56:38] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [02:56:38] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00279]
- Error in attempt to extract audio/subs.
-
[03:05:40] - Failed to retrieve audio, aborted

I have ripped Nanny Mcphee twice with no probelms and plays back on a PC perfectly.

Dark Knight I get the following error:
-----------------------
[13:58:30] BD Rebuilder v0.34.07 (beta)
- Source: THE_DARK_KNIGHT
- Input BD size: 34.76 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:32:13.332]
- Target BD size: 4.10 GB
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Quality: Highest (Very Slow), Two Pass
- Audio Settings: AC3=1 DTS=1 HD=0 Kbs=640
- Resuming from previously started job.
[13:58:31] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [13:58:31] Reencoding: VID_00007 (1 of 1)
- [13:58:31] Collecting video information
- Source Video: VC-1, 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 218,981 frames
- Bitrate: 2,830 Kbs
- [13:58:31] Reencoding: VID_00007, Pass 1 of 2
- Encode failed. Retrying.
- Encode failed. Retrying.
- Reached retry limit. Aborting.
- BD-Rebuilder v0.34.07 (beta)
- FFDSHOW: 3071, not recommended version
[14:01:33] - Failed video encode, aborted

I have ripped Dark Knight twice with no probelms and plays back on a PC perfectly.

I am starting to think that backing up to BD-25 seems like the easiest option to bypass all these problems but the cost of BD-25 blanks is not exactly enticing YET. DVD-DL Verbatims are half the price but I'm going to run into the same problem as I am now by going to DVD-9.

Apart from Verbatim DL, what do u recommend for blank BD-25's? Are TDK BD-25's any good?

In the end, I need a solution where the wife or kids can chuck in a disc on the PS3 and start watching a movie. The DVD-5 option is ok but only limited to the PS3 and you have to go through menus to select the file on the disc to play it whereas BD-25 is the logical answer. Best case scenario I'd like to have both BD-25 and DVD-5. DVD-5 being that I can store the movie onto my 500gb PS3 and take the PS3 away on weekends or holidays and watch movie straight off the box.

Any helpful hints on what I need to set or what I have forgotten to set would be much appreciated and thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers
Pasadena.

Last edited by pasadena; 14th August 2010 at 10:07.
pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 08:34   #9206  |  Link
setarip_old

@pasadena

Hi!

According to High-Def Digest:
Quote:
Universal says the family fantasy/comedy 'Nanny McPhee' starring Emma Thompson, Colin Firth, and Angela Lansbury is coming to Blu-ray on August 17.
That being the case, you'll likely have to wait a few days for a response, so that the Doom 9 members who purchase it have a chance to try to process it...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 10:03   #9207  |  Link
pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@pasadena

Hi!

According to High-Def Digest:

That being the case, you'll likely have to wait a few days for a response, so that the Doom 9 members who purchase it have a chance to try to process it...
Hi and thanks for your response. This will give me a bit more time to experiment to see where and what's going wrong and also whether or not I want to commit down the BD-25 path.

Cheers
pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 11:06   #9208  |  Link
geomtchr

Some movie problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Are you backing up to DVD-5/9 or BD-25?
I am backing up to BD 25, Thanks
geomtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 14:36   #9209  |  Link
Capsbackup

@pasadena;

Quote:
PS. I apologise for the long post in advance and if this has been addressed previously. I have attempted to search and read this thread where I can to solve my issues.
Quote:
FFDSHOW: 3071, not recommended version
Quote:
Error in attempt to extract audio/subs.
You must have missed the very first post, page 1, same place you downloaded BD-RB.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 14:37   #9210  |  Link
worknstiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post

@Datman: When I did the movie, I had tsMuxeR (the only program I could find that would even acknowledge there was an audio stream btw) just pull the audio\video and save both untouched to a bluray format. (If I remember correctly the audio was 224k on the original disk to start with.) Then I used Clown_BD to make another bluray and to make sure what I fed to BD_RB was what I really wanted before I wait 10 hours to find I have a problem, LOL. Too many times I learned that the audio was wrong or had sync problems so an extra 20 minutes with Clown_BD is well worth it.
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 20:53   #9211  |  Link
DarWun

Potential Batch Encode Audio Bug

I noticed something odd the other night when doing a Full Disk BD25 backup of Date Night using BD-Rebuilder 34.07. I wanted to retain the first and fourth audio tracks, both of which are English tracks. The second and third tracks are alternative languages that I wanted to discard. After setting everything up I added the project to the Batch Queue. I added a couple other backups to run overnight and clicked on Batch Backup. Once the backup had started, I clicked on the Stream Tab to check something. I noticed that the first and second audio tracks were selected instead of the first and fourth. I stopped the backup, reloaded the iso image, and checked the Stream Tab. The first and fourth tracks were selected as I wanted. I hit the Backup button, and checked the stream tab again. The first and fourth audio tracks were still selected. I stopped the backup, cleared the Batch Queue and added the project to the queue. After clicking on Batch Backup, I went back to the Stream Tab. Once again the first and second audio tracks were selected instead of the first and fourth.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll check some of my other backups to see if they exhibit the same behaviour.
DarWun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 21:27   #9212  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
With 9Gig in audio it's no wonder...
no the total size was over 9g with the added audio.
Old 14th August 2010, 21:44   #9213  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknstiff View Post
@Datman: When I did the movie, I had tsMuxeR (the only program I could find that would even acknowledge there was an audio stream btw) just pull the audio\video and save both untouched to a bluray format. (If I remember correctly the audio was 224k on the original disk to start with.) Then I used Clown_BD to make another bluray and to make sure what I fed to BD_RB was what I really wanted before I wait 10 hours to find I have a problem, LOL. Too many times I learned that the audio was wrong or had sync problems so an extra 20 minutes with Clown_BD is well worth it.
no the main audio is DTS 1536 Kbps there is a 2nd audio track that is 224 that is the directors commentary. Perhaps its a different version.

Was the video bad? I'm not at all happy with this release.
Old 14th August 2010, 21:57   #9214  |  Link
worknstiff

@Datman: Was the video bad? I'm not at all happy with this release.

Considering that the movie was from 1987, it looks pretty good. I was pleased with the compressed copy (BD_RB to BD-9), it was as good as the original IMO.
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 23:48   #9215  |  Link
setarip_old

@pasadena
Quote:
Hi and thanks for your response. This will give me a bit more time to experiment to see where and what's going wrong and also whether or not I want to commit down the BD-25 path.
It would be more meaningful if you waited to do your experimenting with the commercial version that you'll/we'll be able to purchase on August 17. That way "jdobbs" (the author of BD-RB) will know that he/we are not dealing with phantom problems that don't exist on the commercial BluRay disc...
Old 15th August 2010, 00:02   #9216  |  Link
colinhunt

A question about optimizing performance, if I may. During Pass 1, I'm getting 30fps while CPU load hovers at 20-25%. This is with the highest quality settings with added "--tune film" tweaks to both passes. Is there anything I can do to speed up the first pass? There's lots of idle CPU cycles to be taken advantage of, after all.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 00:12   #9217  |  Link
setarip_old

@DarWun

Hi!
Quote:
I noticed that the first and second audio tracks were selected instead of the first and fourth.
(Just a guess) Did you happen to notice the Language labels as they now appeared? Were they labeled as the two English streams you'd selected?
Old 15th August 2010, 00:16   #9218  |  Link
setarip_old

@colinhunt

Hi!
Quote:
Is there anything I can do to speed up the first pass?
I believe setting BD-RB's "Priority" setting to the highest possible should make for an overall improvement in processing speed...
Old 15th August 2010, 00:33   #9219  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
I believe setting BD-RB's "Priority" setting to the highest possible should make for an overall improvement in processing speed...
For some reason I doubt it, to be honest. I'm running BD-RB at Normal priority and it's the only application running on the encoding rig (apart from Windows' own stuff, naturally). There's nothing stopping it from using more CPU that I'm aware of.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 00:53   #9220  |  Link
setarip_old

@colinhunt
Quote:
it's the only application running
Now that you've added this fact, I'd tend to agree with you ;>} - although there's still some background processes going on...

It would only take you a short while to test it.