Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 25th April 2010, 00:24   #1  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

[Moved to GitHub] VidCoder: Alternative HandBrake GUI for Windows

VidCoder has moved to GitHub

VidCoder is an alternative GUI for HandBrake on Windows.

As far as the encoding goes, it's full-featured: It's got all audio, video and container formats, filters, advanced x264 options, subtitles and chapters.

However it goes beyond the standard HandBrake GUI in some areas. I've been able to call directly into the HandBrake core libraries, rather than wrap the CLI as the current Windows client does. The result is I get instant static previews of the source material, just like in the Mac version. The preview instantly reflects changes in resolution, pixel aspect ratio and cropping. Other advantages include the ability to pause and resume an encode and the removal of those pesky console window popups at the start of every job.

Beyond the tighter integration to the core libraries, I've overhauled the entire UI, including the workflow and preset system.

You'll need .NET Framework 4 (only the Client Profile is neccessary).

I'd appreciate any feedback, posted to the GitHub site.

Interested in translating VidCoder to your own language? Help out at Crowdin.

Last edited by RandomEngy; 26th August 2020 at 22:24.
RandomEngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 00:31   #2  |  Link
odditory

I like this encoder a lot based on the test encodes I've done so far, and since the core handbrake devs seem to favor the Mac version, the Windows version doesn't get as much attention and that's where VidCoder comes in. It's definitely a lot more "tight" than the HB windows GUI, you won't see a DOS window for the encoding status nor a separate queue window - all these are in the same window since it's not just a front-end to the HandbrakeCLI like regular HB. I like the preview ability, since it's a major omission from HB's regular windows version but present on the Mac version.

it's got auto-updating built-in which is nice, and the updates seem to be coming pretty frequently. this is arguably the easiest to use x264 encoder GUI for windows out there right now. keep up the good work!

Last edited by odditory; 25th April 2010 at 02:31.
odditory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 00:46   #3  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Looking pretty good. I haven't used Handbrake recently, but if the HB devs have implemented the x264 tune/preset system in their GUI (e.g., a selectable Tune "Film" option rather than just deblock etc. sliders) you should consider doing it here. Otherwise, perhaps you could further improve on Handbrake's default GUI by doing so. Thanks!
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 01:21   #4  |  Link
stax76

Wouldn't be .NET 3.5 Client Profile be sufficient? That's the highest included in Win 7. Do you use any 4.0 features?
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 01:33   #5  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

I use IntPtr.Add (as a convenience) and there's a bug about data binding to radio buttons that's fixed in 4. There's also the nice stuff like named parameters and more useful overloads on stuff like Path.Combine(). Also I figured I'd just go with 4 out the gate so I don't have to worry about a framework upgrade for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
Looking pretty good. I haven't used Handbrake recently, but if the HB devs have implemented the x264 tune/preset system in their GUI (e.g., a selectable Tune "Film" option rather than just deblock etc. sliders) you should consider doing it here. Otherwise, perhaps you could further improve on Handbrake's default GUI by doing so. Thanks!
All the advanced options are the same as what you'd see in the HandBrake GUI. I'll look into the --tune option.

Last edited by RandomEngy; 25th April 2010 at 02:03.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:49   #6  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Encoding with Vidcoder now. I have used handbrake lately to do some encodes. I will be trying to create some now that fit the below specs.

Only one thing interface wise, when I had finished choosing my profile settings there isn't a "close" "finish" button to return to the main screen. Not major in the least. Oh and vbr for AAC and MP3 would be a sweet addition.

Cheers
flebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 17:39   #7  |  Link
odditory

Does the big red "x" in the upper right hand corner not work for you to close the settings?

personally i'd prefer that the ESC key also close it, but that's just me.
odditory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 03:14   #8  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post
Does the big red "x" in the upper right hand corner not work for you to close the settings?

personally i'd prefer that the ESC key also close it, but that's just me.
no doesn't bother me, i was just looking for a save and close option.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:03   #9  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

My impressions are very positive.The interface is IMO better than the original. And big thank you for eliminating the CLI window :-)

Some random thoughts:
- I have problems with subtitles (it also applies to Handbrake svn 3036 and 3154). Sometimes I can make them, sometimes (usually...) not which depends on the movie. What interesting it does not apply to the burn in subs. Handbrake 0.94 works without a hitch.
- the green progress bar could show how much of the job has been done (percentage)
- the destination selector could add mkv and mp4 extensions to the file if such container has been selected in advanced mode
- please make similar mechanisms of default calculating movie resolution like in avi.net. I know from my experience that most my inexperienced friends have problems with these calculations. avi.net assumes that the width of the encoded movie equals to the width of the source (like 704 or 720 in case of DVDs) and height is calculated this way to be in
proportion to the movie (like 1.78, 2.35 etc.)
Przemek_Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 08:21   #10  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

If you fiddle with the Encoding settings and close the window, your changes will still be persisted and will apply to any encodes that you make. You can go back and revert or save the changes later.

- The idea for ESC to close the settings window is good. I'm also planning on having Ctrl+S do a save.
- Like the idea of having the percentage displayed on the progress bar. I'll add that.
- Adding the correct extension based on the encoding settings is also a good thought.
- VidCoder does do automatic resolution calculation. Just make sure that Keep Aspect Ratio is checked. Choosing Loose or Strict anamorphic should also work.
Old 30th April 2010, 07:27   #11  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

Thank you!

I have one more suggestion, expressed by my friend. Can you make VidCoder be able to open iso image files like Fairuse Wizard did? My friend stores films in this way and she asked if this feature can be built in. I do not know how FairUse did it (the program was open source but AFAIK there were some problems with the sources, however, there were independent compilations like these made by Celtic_Druid). 7-Zip opens the files and it is open sourced so vidCoder could use the 7-zip libs.
Old 1st May 2010, 00:37   #12  |  Link
Washka

Oooo, great util. I try to encode small clip from MTV 720x576 to my mobile phone Nokia N86 8MP res. 320x240 as MP4 (x264)
first clip was encoded with 234 FPS but second clip with 25.2 FPS average.
Both are captured same day as MPEG2

edit:
anamorphis was on Loose and that slow down encoding like 100%
edit 2: Well. Mpeg4 FFMpeg 540 FPS and much better for phone.

That`s it :P

Last edited by Washka; 1st May 2010 at 01:14.
Washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 04:02   #13  |  Link
acrespo
Brazilian Anime Ripper

I can't load a DVD in Videocoder.
When I click on DVD/VIDEO_TS Folder of Source combo box the window "Search Folder" only show Desktop and Windows "drivers" folder. I don't know if it's because i have brazilian portuguese version of Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 here.
ATI TV Wonder Elite (active)
acrespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 19:00   #14  |  Link
m110s

Target size in video/quality is broken.
Encoding same movie with HandeBrake gave mi exact size but with Vidcoder it missed a lot.
Also, IMHO, visual appearance could be better. I prefer clean and simple look something like Simple x264 Launcher.
Keep on good work and I'm waiting for new verson to test it.
m110s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 23:35   #15  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

VidCoder 0.4.0 is out.

Added the keyboard shortcuts I was talking about.
As well as the automatic addition of the correct extension.
Also queuing up multiple video files or titles at once.

acrespo: I'll see if I can repro that.
m110s: Thanks for the report; I'll look into that. I've mostly been using the constant quality.
Old 1st May 2010, 23:49   #16  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Vidcoder crashes when trying to analyse this source file.

Code:
Format                           : Flash Video
File size                        : 15.8 MiB
Duration                         : 3mn 47s
Overall bit rate                 : 583 Kbps
Encoded date                     : Thu Apr 08 19:42:29 2010
rating                           : none

Video
Format                           : VP6
Bit rate                         : 500 Kbps
Width                            : 480 pixels
Height                           : 360 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
Frame rate                       : 30.000 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.096
Stream size                      : 13.6 MiB (86%)

Audio
Format                           : MPEG Audio
Format version                   : Version 1
Format profile                   : Layer 3
Mode                             : Dual mono
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 96.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
Stream size                      : 2.60 MiB (16%)
Writing library                  : LAME3.97 (beta)
Edit
Using version 0.4
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:07   #17  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

If it didn't give you a stack trace then it probably died somewhere in the HandBrake core. Does the same file fail to load in the official HandBrake GUI as well?
Old 2nd May 2010, 11:47   #18  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomEngy View Post
If it didn't give you a stack trace then it probably died somewhere in the HandBrake core. Does the same file fail to load in the official HandBrake GUI as well?
I have just used handbrake 0.9.4 and it loaded and encoded the file normally, no error.
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:43   #19  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

Quote:
Originally Posted by flebber View Post
I have just used handbrake 0.9.4 and it loaded and encoded the file normally, no error.
The thing is that AFAIK VidCore is based on the dev core rather than the stable one. It has some pros and cons.
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:56   #20  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Yeah, I've been working off the latest SVN. When it reaches a release point I'll leave the core files at a stable point. Unfortunately, this means that without the file I don't know whether it's due to it being a dev build or from the C# interop.