Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd May 2018, 10:54   #50561  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I notice my composition rate is 23.976 while your's is 23.970. That is odd.
Yes but I don't think that is why my render queues go so low
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:25   #50562  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
its likely a feature they just don't care about whatsoever.
That's pretty much exactly what I believe actually
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:13   #50563  |  Link
svengun

Quote:
That doesn't seem right, I also have the BIOS and OS fixes for Meltdown and Spectre.

Did you turn the Windows game bar/game mode off again?

I am on 1803, 397.31, madVR v0.92.14 both 64 and 32 bit. MPC-HC and Zoom Player. Skylake X.

edit: I notice my composition rate is 23.976 while your's is 23.970. That is odd.
Hi Asmodian,

how do you get the (extra) detailed rendering stats ?

in your view , it looks like they unfold to show more , i don't see an option for that , neither in Options explained page

TIA, Sven
svengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:17   #50564  |  Link
strumf666

Here you go:
Quote:
Hidden Options
An empty folder or file in the madVR program directory with a specific name will trigger a hidden option, these are options you probably do not want to use.

BilinearSuperRes: Use a lower quality, but faster, mode for SuperRes.
DisableHdrBrightnessTweak: Disables raising the brightness of shadows which normally occurs when 'this display's peak luminance capability' is set to 120 or 180 nits.
DontRenderAfterStop: Stops madVR from rendering for 7 seconds after playback is stopped or paused. It may stop black screen flashing during seeks and play rate changes with specific players.
force full range input: Forces madVR to treat all input as full range.
KeepLastFrameOnStop: Prevents a black screen when stopping playback.
ShowBlackBars: Draws a green rectangle around the active video area, as detected by zoom control.
ShowRenderSteps: Displays every shader pass in the OSD with the rendering time for each one. Can slow down the overall rendering time due to needing to flush the GPU and wait for the rendering to succeed after every shader pass but this effect is very minor in recent versions. Only active when the OSD is being displayed.
YCbCr: Outputs YCbCr data instead of RGB, as if it was RGB.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:18   #50565  |  Link
huhn

it is in the option explained thread and it should not be used by default. as you can easily see it is no bug free at all.

you need to go to the madVR folder and create an empty folder called: ShowRenderSteps

just to give oyu an idea this was slowing down render with NGU in past and not only a little bit so don't use this regularly there has to be a good reason this is not a normal option.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:40   #50566  |  Link
svengun

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it is in the option explained thread and it should not be used by default. as you can easily see it is no bug free at all.

you need to go to the madVR folder and create an empty folder called: ShowRenderSteps

just to give oyu an idea this was slowing down render with NGU in past and not only a little bit so don't use this regularly there has to be a good reason this is not a normal option.
Thanks , I'll skip doing that then
svengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 16:08   #50567  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
No it is not that. As I said, same settings as before 1803 update...

Edit : The frames are not only dropping in the beginning, they are dropping during the entire episode.
I'm using a GTX 1070 so far the only issue I had is freeze whenever enable automatic full screen exclusive mode during full screen. Literally, no dropping frames, except I'm dragging the seek bar.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 16:28   #50568  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Nvidia custom resolutions? Drivers are buggy AGAIN, most of the latest ones bork custom resolutions. I even tried 397.40 and failed to stick so back to 385.28 I go. Nvidia suck at software.
Yea, it's already 5 or 6 nvidia driver versions since they broke custom resolution. Still no fix in sight.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:07   #50569  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

So no others here with the same issue with MadVr and Win10 1803 with low queues and dropped frames? I'm considering buying a Win 8.1 OEM lisence in order to have something that work and won't be broken with an OS update...
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:52   #50570  |  Link
ultrahd_hdr

as soon as you install windows 1803 a message popups advising you to fix your blurry screen,once you hit fix/apply you lose your current nvidia drivers,this is happening with 397.31,anyone else experiencing the same?
ultrahd_hdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 19:58   #50571  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
So no others here with the same issue with MadVr and Win10 1803 with low queues and dropped frames? I'm considering buying a Win 8.1 OEM lisence in order to have something that work and won't be broken with an OS update...
Actually, I can confirm this as well, but only when my GPU is pushed. For example: watching 720p60 to 1080p screen using

chroma NGU sharp (high)
luma NGU sharp (high) < SSim1D100 LL AR
chroma > Bicubic60 AR

Upload queue is fine, but render queue 2-3/8, present queue 0-2/6. Avg stats: rendering 9.16ms

If I lower it to NGU sharp (medium), queues goes back to normal. Avg stats: rendering 5.83ms.

Before the 1803 update, everything worked fine. If I overclock my GPU, the render queue is 'slightly' better, but still not normal. I tried DDU and clean install the drivers. I have not yet tried a fresh windows install.

Only thing I tried so far is turning off all the "Focus Assist" options, as I heard it makes alt-tabbing from a game to a browser can take a few seconds if ON.
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 20:05   #50572  |  Link
Asmodian

I don't remember seeing that when I upgraded either of my computers. Were you using something other than 100% scaling?

Quote:
This has been fixed in new versions, it changes rendering times only when the OSD is open and it slows them down only a very small amount. I like using it to know what processing steps are enabled.

Still, I also do not recommend it for everyone.
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:13   #50573  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

I use MSI afterburner to monitor my GPU > remoteserver > android app. Anyway, non-overclocked GTX 980 using 720p60 > 1080p upscaling (1.5x) then reduce using SSIM1D:

GPU : 75%
Power : 99% (I've increased the max to 125% power limit)
tons of frame drops

When I overclock:

GPU : 69%
Power : 104%
frame drops when render queue goes to 0-2 instead of 1-3 momentarily

NGU Sharp (med) + no-overclock:

GPU : 56%
Power : 71%
no frame drops and all queues normal

I tried changing some RCA settings and dithering settings to increase load from NGU Sharp (med), and the queue problems seems to trigger at around >75% GPU load and >90% Power load.

One thing that's strange is the Task Manager GPU load is always higher than MSI GPU load by about 6%.

EDIT: I was wrong, I can't trigger the queue problem with 23.976fps videos, only 60fps. I tried NGU sharp (very high) and GPU load 90%, power 104%, no queue problems. Could it be my CPU? 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz.

Last edited by Crimson Wolf; 2nd May 2018 at 21:19.
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:40   #50574  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
This has been fixed in new versions, it changes rendering times only when the OSD is open and it slows them down only a very small amount. I like using it to know what processing steps are enabled.
i said it was an issue.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:55   #50575  |  Link
Marin85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
I recently updated my HTPC (Win10) to the new April 1803 build and now when I put my videos in full screen exclusive mode, I get around 4 seconds of black screen, then when the video appears there are a few hundred dropped frames within a few seconds, and then the video finally plays smooth as normal. While this is all happening, the audio is still playing back at normal speed without interruption. So basically when I enter FSE, it takes like ~8 seconds to finally start playing back normal with zero dropped frames.
edit: Apparently it's Win10's new 'focus assist' feature which mutes notifications when doing select activities. When I enter FSE it thinks I'm playing a game and turns focus assist on. I turned focus assist off when playing games and it's fine now.
Thanks! I was having the exactly same problem after updating to 1803, and that fixed it. I would've never figured out it was the darn focus assist.
Marin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:58   #50576  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
i said it was an issue.
I just wanted them to know performance isn't a big problem now but it is still not for those who simply want a set and forget configuration.
Old 2nd May 2018, 22:16   #50577  |  Link
har3inger

Ditto on the weird queue behavior and the FSE freezing mentioned. I upgraded 2 machines to 1803 and they're both like that now. One's a laptop on R9 270x, the other an RX480. One day prior, they were both fine.

I've noticed that on FSE the queues fill normally, but on non-FSE they never fill to full unless the GPU load is extremely small. However FSE is unusable because of significant stuttering on maximizing.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 22:18   #50578  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrahd_hdr View Post
as soon as you install Windows 1803 a message popups advising you to fix your blurry screen,once you hit fix/apply you lose your current nvidia drivers,this is happening with 397.31,anyone else experiencing the same?
That feature is not what is doing this. Every major Windows 10 update release overrides some of the the nvidia driver files.
I don't know why Microsoft thinks this is a good idea and why nvidia doesn't care that this is happening every damn time.
Anyway, short story even shorter you need to reinstall the nvidia drivers after every major update.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 22:18   #50579  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

I reverted back to an older MadVr build here, version 0.92.4, and used NNEDI3 128 settings. My render and present queues are normal here, and that is with stats that is around ~30 ms too. I tested with SG-1 episodes again (480p) same as my previous screens. So... NGU problem with Win10 1803 build, or some other funky stuff?
Old 3rd May 2018, 00:02   #50580  |  Link
omw2h

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
In the latest Win10 there is a new power plan in Windows Power Settings called "Bitsum Highest performance" - might be worth checking our for those with issues using MadVr after upgrading.
They did add "Ultimate Performance" as they are calling it, if that is what you meant, it should only be present in Windows 10 Pro for Workstations as far as i know.
Fortunately there are simple ways to add it:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option1
omw2h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling