Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 26th February 2021, 05:20   #18961  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyNutz View Post
That discussion does not cover how RipBot264 deals with 7.1 to 5.1.
No, you're right, but I did say "this might answer your question".

As RB uses FFMPEG, it would probably be the same, ONLY Atak can answer, for sure.

If you don't want to down mix 7.1, just use X Copy for the audio, OR mux it in later with MkvToolNix.
Old 28th February 2021, 20:48   #18962  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

why wave?

RB's default is to convert dts-ma and trueHD to wave. When the end result is to be AC3 or AAC, is there any advantage to the default wave conversion or am I better off demuxing the dts-ma and trueHD?
FuzzyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 01:15   #18963  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
RB's default is to convert dts-ma and trueHD to wave. When the end result is to be AC3 or AAC, is there any advantage to the default wave conversion or am I better off demuxing the dts-ma and trueHD?
Again, ONLY Atak can answer that...

However, how are you processing your movie files ??

Are they ripped disc's, downloaded .iso's, .mkv's or .mp4's ??

I think it depends on your process to whether RB converts to .wav.

I recall that it might convert to .wav if it's a ripped disc, but if it's already an .mkv / .mp4 you can choose X Copy for the audio, and it will retain original spec's.

If RB doesn't do what you want, you need to have a plan b, and that just might be demuxing / converting the audio to the type you want, then muxing it back in after RB's done what you want to the video.

With my 4K encodes, I ONLY process the video thru RB, and mux back the audio & subtitles with MKVToolNix.

Sorry to be the only one answering your questions....nobody else is !!!
Old 4th March 2021, 14:11   #18964  |  Link
Ryushin

Converting Subtitles Exhausts Memory

Not sure if there was an update to bdsup2sub++ that causes it to consume almost all memory which causes all applications to be killed or it almost consumes all memory and it does eventually complete, but the subfile is has a zero size. I'm burning in subtitles for my mobile versions.

Is it still necessary to convert sup to sub to burn in the subtitles. I've had issues with color conversion between the two when burning 10bit color.

Last edited by Ryushin; 4th March 2021 at 14:15.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 16:57   #18965  |  Link
Ryushin

BDSup2Sub.jar

Used BDSup2Sub.jar to convert sup to sub and it worked fine. Here is a link to the problem subtitle:
https://cloud.chrisdos.com/index.php/s/dsB4zrik8HFKd2N

So I've encountered about a dozen of these bad forced subtitles created from MakeMKV in the Game of Thrones. I think something might have been wrong with MakeMKV in creating these forced subtitle files. Using the BDSup2Sub.jar file and using the original full subtitle file and then just extracting the forced subs out of it into an sub file seems to work most of the time, but I had a stuck sub (never went away) and a missing sub. I tried doing the same thing with bdsup2sub++ and it created the appropriate forced subtitles.

I think this is an outlier issue Atak and I wouldn't spend any time on it. I'm just going to manually use bdsup2sub++ to created a forced subtitle file from the full subtitles file.

Last edited by Ryushin; 4th March 2021 at 17:43. Reason: Further details
Old 5th March 2021, 13:24   #18966  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Used BDSup2Sub.jar to convert sup to sub and it worked fine. Here is a link to the problem subtitle:
https://cloud.chrisdos.com/index.php/s/dsB4zrik8HFKd2N

So I've encountered about a dozen of these bad forced subtitles created from MakeMKV in the Game of Thrones. I think something might have been wrong with MakeMKV in creating these forced subtitle files. Using the BDSup2Sub.jar file and using the original full subtitle file and then just extracting the forced subs out of it into an sub file seems to work most of the time, but I had a stuck sub (never went away) and a missing sub. I tried doing the same thing with bdsup2sub++ and it created the appropriate forced subtitles.

I think this is an outlier issue Atak and I wouldn't spend any time on it. I'm just going to manually use bdsup2sub++ to created a forced subtitle file from the full subtitles file.
Hi Ryushin, there haven't been ANY updates, and the bdsup2sub in RB is pretty dated.

Have you had a look here :- https://www.videohelp.com/software/BDSup2Sub

You might have to find another process.
Old 5th March 2021, 19:15   #18967  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Hi Ryushin, there haven't been ANY updates, and the bdsup2sub in RB is pretty dated.

Have you had a look here :- https://www.videohelp.com/software/BDSup2Sub

You might have to find another process.
Yea, that is an older version than what is included in RB. RB has moved to a standalone executable so Java is no longer needed.

I'd like to see RB remove the need to convert sup to sub for the burning in of subtitles.
Old 6th March 2021, 00:28   #18968  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Yea, that is an older version than what is included in RB. RB has moved to a standalone executable so Java is no longer needed.

I'd like to see RB remove the need to convert sup to sub for the burning in of subtitles.
Yes, unfortunately I saw that it was older , and that's all there is.

So you must enable the conversion in "Setting's" to do this...what happens if you don't ??

Yes, I think there's a LOT of stuff that could be changed in RB, it's still got a fair bit of "legacy" type stuff from the "early day's", that's basically redundant or inaccessible.

I have to use convert ALL my subtitles to .srt.

So I have a whole extra process to go thru. (please don't suggest using some streaming app).

I watch all my movies off a USB stick, direct into the TV.
Old 6th March 2021, 01:37   #18969  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately I saw that it was older , and that's all there is.

So you must enable the conversion in "Setting's" to do this...what happens if you don't ??

Yes, I think there's a LOT of stuff that could be changed in RB, it's still got a fair bit of "legacy" type stuff from the "early day's", that's basically redundant or inaccessible.

I have to use convert ALL my subtitles to .srt.

So I have a whole extra process to go thru. (please don't suggest using some streaming app).

I watch all my movies off a USB stick, direct into the TV.

The conversion from sup to sub is done regardless of the "Convert Blu-ray to DVD Format". I don't have that checked.

I do convert my foreign movies subtitles to .ass format and I push the subs into the black bars. Though with HDR you don't burn them into the bottom bar as it changes the lighting for the scene. Otherwise, my subs are what come on the disc.

You can watch all your movies on a Nvidia Shield using Kodi or Plex. I have them all on my NAS and I watch them over my network. Not sure if it makes any difference watching from a filesystem on a USB stick or a network file system with the files residing on a NAS. NFS or SMB.
Old 6th March 2021, 09:51   #18970  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally stated by Pauly Dunne
(please don't suggest using some streaming app).
Quote:
You can watch all your movies on a Nvidia Shield using Kodi or Plex. I have them all on my NAS and I watch them over my network. Not sure if it makes any difference watching from a filesystem on a USB stick or a network file system with the files residing on a NAS. NFS or SMB.
C'mon Ryushin, I have no interest in having to run a pc or a server so I can watch movies, for me, it's just a waste of electricity. !!

I thought if anyone could relate to that, it would be you.

Quote:
The conversion from sup to sub is done regardless of the "Convert Blu-ray to DVD Format". I don't have that checked.
Well, why is that option available, then ???

Quote:
I do convert my foreign movies subtitles to .ass format and I push the subs into the black bars. Though with HDR you don't burn them into the bottom bar as it changes the lighting for the scene. Otherwise, my subs are what come on the disc.
Sounds like you go thru a lot more processes with subtitles, than I do , and I don't "burn" mine in, they are generally a separate file, named identical to the movie, and the TV's software uses that, IF I enable subtitles, or I'll mux them with MkvToolNix (I don't think that's considered as being burned in, does it ??)

Each to their own, I guess.

Cheers
Old 6th March 2021, 15:08   #18971  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
C'mon Ryushin, I have no interest in having to run a pc or a server so I can watch movies, for me, it's just a waste of electricity. !!

Well, why is that option available, then ???

Sounds like you go thru a lot more processes with subtitles, than I do , and I don't "burn" mine in, they are generally a separate file, named identical to the movie, and the TV's software uses that, IF I enable subtitles, or I'll mux them with MkvToolNix (I don't think that's considered as being burned in, does it ??)
Cheers
My server that has 36 drives in it does far more than just Plex. Firewall, DNS, email, web, security system, monitoring, etc. It the server that I run for my business and yes, it's always on.

Yes, muxing the subtitles in is not burning them into the video itself. I mux them in myself for my home theater files, but I burn them in for my streaming and mobile size versions.

As for electricity, there are little nas servers that spin the drives down when not in use and they only use 10-15 watts of power when idle.
Old 6th March 2021, 22:23   #18972  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Not sure if there was an update to bdsup2sub++ that causes it to consume almost all memory which causes all applications to be killed or it almost consumes all memory and it does eventually complete, but the subfile is has a zero size. I'm burning in subtitles for my mobile versions.
Have you tried Kodi on them?
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2021, 07:53   #18973  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
My server that has 36 drives in it does far more than just Plex. Firewall, DNS, email, web, security system, monitoring, etc. It the server that I run for my business and yes, it's always on.

Yes, muxing the subtitles in is not burning them into the video itself. I mux them in myself for my home theater files, but I burn them in for my streaming and mobile size versions.

As for electricity, there are little nas servers that spin the drives down when not in use and they only use 10-15 watts of power when idle.
Well, there you go, if it's always on, then for sure, it's a great setup.

However, I just couldn't do that !!!

I haven't got, nor planning to get a small NAS box.

You see, I download stuff on my laptop, and then simply copy to a USB stick, then watch on the TV.

If I had another system, then it would be more complicated, I'd still download on the laptop, copy to USB stick, then paste into NAS, then "stream" that to the TV, and to be honest, I haven't really got a WiFi network, other than the WiFi modem/router I use for my internet connection. And then there's the possibility of buffering...just don't need that.

I do have a fairly good LAN network, but I don't want cables all over the place, as the laptop is in completely different part of the house..I guess I could setup a "Powerline" line network....

Anyway, I'm happy with my process, that's the main thing.
Old 7th March 2021, 09:25   #18974  |  Link
misagh72

Hi Atak
Can u add NVEnc x264 or x265 to ripbot?

https://github.com/rigaya/NVEnc

Last edited by misagh72; 7th March 2021 at 09:32.
misagh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2021, 14:07   #18975  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by misagh72 View Post
Hi Atak
Can u add NVEnc x264 or x265 to ripbot?

https://github.com/rigaya/NVEnc
?????
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2021, 08:15   #18976  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

I assume he wants nvencc added as AVC and HEVC Encoders

@misagh72
Not likely that this will be happening I remember asking the same question a long time ago, there were good reasons why itīs not going to happen... Although recent HW Encoders on Nvidia Cards catched up a little in terms of quality, Software Encoders still are way ahead. controll over what the encoder actually does is more limited than with x265/264. Bframe support emerged with GEN20 RTX Cards (All Turing except 1650, which has the Volta Encoder with no b-frames), which is good...
mainconcept wrapped ffmpeg and rate control around the nvencc encoders (hybrid encoder for rtx by mainconcept, which seems to be what adobe has licenced), this implemeneatation could be interesting.. but its not free..

Since the hardware encoders are fast already, there is not much point in distributing the workload over several machines (although the slim and nice interface of ripbot certainly would be nice)...

If you want to go for HW-Encoding, get a Turing (Ampere is the same in that regard) card, use hybrid, as encoder, staxrip or whatever you like that uses nvencc on one machine, I easily get fps of several hundred with some machines. If you even use the decoders and hw-filters, a very small CPU will do, too...
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2021, 11:23   #18977  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@misagh72:

Nvidia GPU chipset compatibility provided, NVEnc may be able to encode H.264 video, but it is not the x264 encoder (which does not use Nvidia GPU features at all).
Nvidia GPU chipset compatibility provided, NVEnc may be able to encode H.265 video, but it is not the x265 encoder (which does not use Nvidia GPU features at all).

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2021, 02:27   #18978  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Distributed Encoding - Unable to open input file.

My client pc's can access RB's temp folder that's on my host pc via windows explorer, yet their EncodingServer windows all show "unable to open input file".
RB and all supporting software is installed on all pc's. I start ES manually on clients and then run RB only on host. No encoding process occurs. Results are same when firewall and virus protection are turned off.
Do I need to configure my router?
Do I need static IP's?
Is there a step by step guide? If not, why?
Are there any negative aspects of DE?

Last edited by FuzzyNutz; 10th March 2021 at 03:43.
Old 10th March 2021, 05:22   #18979  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
My client pc's can access RB's temp folder that's on my host pc via windows explorer, yet their EncodingServer windows all show "unable to open input file".
RB and all supporting software is installed on all pc's. I start ES manually on clients and then run RB only on host. No encoding process occurs. Results are same when firewall and virus protection are turned off.
Do I need to configure my router?
Do I need static IP's?
Is there a step by step guide? If not, why?
Are there any negative aspects of DE?
See if this helps :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...49#post1935949

and maybe a couple of posts prior to that one.
Old 10th March 2021, 08:08   #18980  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Distributed Encoding - How To

how do i set up distributed encoding?

Last edited by FuzzyNutz; 10th March 2021 at 08:10.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360