Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 25th December 2023, 08:26   #161  |  Link
rwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
You could've said "this person made a mistake". People make honest mistakes, you know. Nobody needs a jerk who treats another person's mistake as an opportunity to be a rude twat.
I see this somewhat differently.

In my opinion, if there is something we do not need, its people that pretend they contribute facts but have themself no idea what they are talking/writing about and are thus generating unfounded rumors. And Indeed when I look around the Internet there are a lot of these people. There are people lurking this forum looking for information regarding video compression. They shouldn't have to fact check everything that is stated here - but with the amount of half-knowledged people posting here I guess they have to anyway. Here I would like to take moment to applaud oibaf for asking for a source for that statement from you above. There is also a difference between a mistake and a made up fact. Some would even argue that making up facts is a form of lying.

Now regarding calling a person out I think it does not matter how it is done foremost, but that it is done. There is nothing worse than leaving misinformation uncontested. How this is done is secondary and comes down to personal preference. I, for example, am a fanboy of clear and direct communication. I even have problems understanding what someone wants when sugar coating and gift wrapping is applied to objection.

I am sorry that you are upset about the way I brushed your statement - that Google and Mozilla don't want EVC because of EVCs Design and that it is possible to decode a Main Profile stream with a Baseline decoder - off, but that you then quote Wikipedia, come to the false conclusions based on that quote and then more or less admit that you have no knowledge about the matter at all is pretty disappointing regarding further discussion.

I am somewhat at a loss.
rwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2023, 09:43   #162  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwill View Post
Now regarding calling a person out I think it does not matter how it is done foremost, but that it is done. There is nothing worse than leaving misinformation uncontested. How this is done is secondary and comes down to personal preference. I, for example, am a fanboy of clear and direct communication. I even have problems understanding what someone wants when sugar coating and gift wrapping is applied to objection.
Nobody asked you to "sugarcoat" anything. You can be clear and direct and not be a rude twat at the same time. If you had said "made it up" instead of "pulled that one out of his rear" I wouldn't mind. Basic politeness should be a given and shouldn't take any effort on your part to achieve it.

This is more true in fuzzy subjects. For example, care to explain what do you mean by "decode"? Can an EVC Baseline decoder decode EVC Main in any capacity? Even with artifacts and dropped frames and such? Because that's "decodable". Also, that's what the whole "individually switchable coding tools" is supposed to mean, that you can skip stuff and still be able to decode the bitstream to some capacity. If ISO redefined the term you can see how it can be confusing.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 25th December 2023 at 10:02.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2023, 15:44   #163  |  Link
rwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
This is more true in fuzzy subjects. For example, care to explain what do you mean by "decode"? Can an EVC Baseline decoder decode EVC Main in any capacity? Even with artifacts and dropped frames and such? Because that's "decodable". Also, that's what the whole "individually switchable coding tools" is supposed to mean, that you can skip stuff and still be able to decode the bitstream to some capacity. If ISO redefined the term you can see how it can be confusing.
This is getting better and better with each post. Have a nice day.
rwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2023, 17:09   #164  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwill View Post
This is getting better and better with each post. Have a nice day.
Look man, if you are trying to pull of the "grumpy video engineer" vibe, let me tell you it's not working. You just come off as rude.

Anyway, I'll ask someone else in some other thread what that "individually switchable coding tools" thing actually means. We are off-topic anyway.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 25th December 2023 at 17:20.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 20:11   #165  |  Link
ksec

Any news on x266?
Old 19th March 2024, 21:04   #166  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post
Any news on x266?
Nothing. It's extremely delayed.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 23:31   #167  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Nothing from my side either... One of my colleagues even tagged the actual guys working on it on a post on LinkedIn but they never replied...
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vvc, x266