Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 7th February 2014, 23:32   #1  |  Link
Matrix789

Create Lossless Blu-Ray With Menus From .ts Files

Hello, I have a soccer game in .ts format, divided in 3 files: first half, second half and extra time. The files are in 1080i, with two audio tracks, one with 2 channels and one with 6 channels.
Is there a way to create a bluray with menus without encoding the files? Or encoding but without quality loss and kerping both the audio tracks?
I apologize for my english.

Last edited by Matrix789; 8th February 2014 at 00:57.
Matrix789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 02:04   #2  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

As long as the files are perfectly Blu-ray compliant you can create a Blu-ray disc with basics menus and no re-compression using MultiAVCHD.
SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 16:03   #3  |  Link
walexago

From my experience, .ts files recorded from TV (air, cable, satellite) aren't compliant with Blu-Ray specs.

To be sure to get compliant files, you must reencode them.

Bye
walexago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 21:27   #4  |  Link
rik1138

If it's for personal use, you can always to mux them into a Blu-ray structure and play them on whatever player _you_ have. If it works, no need to transcode (but they may not work in every player).

But, another nice thing you can usually with HD cable captures when transcoding is removing the 2/3 sequence and convert 1080i to 1080p. I've done this to several of them and it works perfectly as the interlacing is usually a perfect 2/3 pulldown to convert 23.976 to 29.97. (That's for a feature film though that was originally 23.976, not sure about a live broadcast or something shot for TV, may not work as well...)
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 21:43   #5  |  Link
walexago

A true blu-ray compliant file needs not only to have compliant resolution or compliant framerate but also some others specs like profile level, keyframe, gap and so on.

If you are lucky your player will play your .ts file (in blurry folder) without problem but others player (or your next player) will not.

I also create blu-ray discs from my TV recordings (.ts files) but to be sure I reencode them with x264.
walexago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 22:34   #6  |  Link
rik1138

Yeah, that's why I said to test it on _your_ player if that's all you care about. I make many non-spec compliant Blu-rays for my personal use all the time, they play fine on a PS3 and Dune player, so that's all I care about as I'm not sharing them with anyone else or putting them on the internet. I've tried them on other players, and sometimes they won't work, but as long as they work on mine, I'm good...

But if you do want spec-compliant 'all-player' discs, then you will need to transcode them with Blu-ray specs in mind. Just depends on what you intend to do with the final product. If you absolutely do not want to add another generation of compression to the video, then find a player that will play more than just Blu-ray spec... There's lots of them out there.
Old 22nd February 2014, 13:53   #7  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik1138 View Post
I make many non-spec compliant Blu-rays for my personal use all the time, they play fine on a PS3 and Dune player, so that's all I care about...
I don't make a lot of these any more, just of special programs e.g. football games as the OP, and have not thought about the fact that the broadcast transport streams are not Blu-ray compliant--as with yours they play on my players.

But it is gratifying to realize that if I did get a player in the future that does NOT play these discs, I could rip-and-redo them for BD compliance if I had to. In the meantime I am happy to have the original broadcasts on disc without having to reencode them.

I've thought briefly about this in the past, but it's nice to have your reminder here rik1138.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:11   #8  |  Link
rik1138

Yeah, for me it's just movies that aren't available on Blu-ray (or things like concerts that likely will never come out on Blu), but have been broadcast on HD cable... Even if it's not blu-ray quality, it's still better than DVD (although sometimes you have to deal with an obnoxicon in the corner... ) If the Blu-ray ever gets released, I just buy that as it's pretty much always a better looking picture.

I usually transcode the 1080i ones to remove the pull-down to make them 1080p, but even then I use settings that aren't strictly blu-ray compliant to help preserve the picture quality as much as possible...
Old 25th February 2014, 17:17   #9  |  Link
Matrix789

What would happen if I put the content of a ts file in a mkv? Would be work better with the home players like wdtv?
Matrix789 is offline   Reply With Quote