Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 21st December 2018, 15:49   #221  |  Link
Selur

Didn't know there is no defined raw format for those subtitles.
-> I will convert them to dvd subs (idx/sub). Thanks!
Old 25th December 2018, 16:36   #222  |  Link
kuchikirukia

I've been running into an issue:

If you split a mkv at say 1:00, but there's an .ASS subtitle line running from 0:59 to 1:10, MKVToolNix will keep the entire length of the subtitle line, which makes the length of the first part 1:10 even though your audio and video were cut at 1:00. If you try to append the split segments together again the video will not append seamlessly. There'll be a gap and the time on players will jump ahead when they hit the gap.

Is there a way to hard cut the subtitle line at 1:00 or just ignore it so this doesn't happen?
kuchikirukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2018, 17:00   #223  |  Link
sneaker_ger

No. Only way is to disable subtitles (and cut them externally with a different tool).
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 22:29   #224  |  Link
JackBauer

Defaulting subs and audio?

I just discovered this tool and I'm in love

Unfortunately though I can't figure out how to make the tool, by default, not select non-english audio and subs for when I multiplex.

Under Preferences: Multiplexer: Encoding items, I've selected the "only enable copying of tracks..." but when I load a mkv, all the other languages are still checked in the "copy item" column.

So I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding that configuration setting.

Some mkv's have a ton of subtitles, so I'm just trying to make it easier to strip some of them out rather than clicking on 20 lines. I figure there has to be a way, I'm just not getting it?

TIA
JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 22:42   #225  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

In the preferences, select the "Multiplexer" → "Enabling items" pane. There:
  1. Under "Enable copying of items by their type", make sure "audio", "video" and "subtitles" are actually selected (as this setting takes precedence over the language-specific setting insofar as deselecting e.g. "audio" here means audio tracks will never by selected, no matter their language and the enable-by-language settings).
  2. Under "Enable copying of items by their language":
  3. enable "only enable copying…"
  4. for "always enable copying…" select "video" but neither "audio" nor "subtitles" and
  5. select "English (eng)" in the language list.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 23:15   #226  |  Link
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
In the preferences...
That did it.... Thank you very much!
JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 23:29   #227  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

You're quite welcome.

Old 30th December 2018, 13:03   #228  |  Link
algorithm_colon

There's been some noise recently about this tool from Dolby which can create Dolby Vision mp4 files. I was able to create a profile 7 file from a UHD disc backup which played succesfully with DV on an LG TV.
I was wondering if there's anything in the code that might provide some clues for getting Dolby Vision into mkv - after remuxing the mp4 with mkvtoolnix all of the dolby vision information is lost.
algorithm_colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 13:20   #229  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by algorithm_colon View Post
... I was able to create a profile 7 file from a UHD disc backup which played succesfully with DV on an LG TV.
Are you able to upload a sample .mp4?
Old 30th December 2018, 14:24   #230  |  Link
algorithm_colon

Here's a 1 minute sample
Old 30th December 2018, 17:15   #231  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by algorithm_colon View Post
Here's a 1 minute sample
Nice one,

I can confirm that your Dolby Vision .mp4 contained sample does indeed work with my LG television and my OPPO UDP-203

MediaInfo detects the dedicated 'DVHE' meta-data as a separate video stream, which MKVmerge currently doesn't know what to do with. But this is a good start.

Perhaps you should also make jdobbs, the author of BD Rebuilder aware of information as he's intending to create an .m2ts muxer. Here's a link to his most recent post in his 'BD Rebuilder Beta' topic: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...38#post1861438

UPDATE: I've just managed to add an LC-AAC audio track to your .mp4 sample using 'My MP4Box GUI' (with a new build of MP4Box)...

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 30th December 2018 at 18:21.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 23:05   #232  |  Link
gonca

Here is a link to a small discussion on this
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewto...p?f=12&t=18602
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 17:55   #233  |  Link
J-Wo

Running v29 x64 on an i5-8400 with 16Gb ram and Windows 10 Pro. When multiplexing a 30Gb 4K movie, I noticed in the task manager that my memory seems to max out at 50% (e.g. 8Gb/16Gb). Just wondering if this is the expected behavior and/or limitation of MKVMerge?

Thanks!
J-Wo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2019, 10:58   #234  |  Link
mkver

Normally, mkvmerge takes way less memory; there are basically two possibilities why this could happen:
a) Your file might contain only few frames that are detected as keyframes by mkvmerge so that mkvmerge has to buffer a lot of material before it can write it again. If so, then your source material might simply not contain a lot of keyframes; or they aren't detected by mkvmerge. The latter case would be a bug.
b) There is a memory leak going on. This would also be a bug.
If you want to help, you should upload the source file (not the remuxed file) to the server described here and open an issue here.
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:18   #235  |  Link
algorithm_colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Nice one,

I can confirm that your Dolby Vision .mp4 contained sample does indeed work with my LG television and my OPPO UDP-203

MediaInfo detects the dedicated 'DVHE' meta-data as a separate video stream, which MKVmerge currently doesn't know what to do with. But this is a good start.

Perhaps you should also make jdobbs, the author of BD Rebuilder aware of information as he's intending to create an .m2ts muxer. Here's a link to his most recent post in his 'BD Rebuilder Beta' topic: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...38#post1861438

UPDATE: I've just managed to add an LC-AAC audio track to your .mp4 sample using 'My MP4Box GUI' (with a new build of MP4Box)...

Cheers
The dolby tool can do audio as well, but of course mp4 won't hold truehd, hence my interest to see if this could work with mkv
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:50   #236  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Start MKVToolNix GUI to a different main tab

Happy New Year everyone, and thank you for such a superb Matroska software, MKVToolNix. I just want to ask if there's a way, without loading any file, to immediately start MKVToolNix GUI to a desired main tab instead of the default Multiplexer tab. Like if I want it to start at Header Editor tab immediately. Perhaps a command line option which could be put into a shortcut or batch file. For example if I could create different shortcuts (or shorcuts to batch files) yet pointing to the same mkvtoolnix-gui.exe.
Wakaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:17   #237  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Not without opening a file in the wanted too, no. The existing options can be found here, but they only have an effect if a file name is given after them, too.

Old 4th January 2019, 09:46   #238  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Not without opening a file in the wanted too, no. The existing options can be found here, but they only have an effect if a file name is given after them, too.
OK thanks. Also thank you and everyone for considering Matroska rotation during playback. A really convenient and powerful container ability.
Wakaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 14:31   #239  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v30.0.0 released

Hey,

2019 is here along with the first release of MKVToolNix for the year, v30.0.0. It's on the smaller side wrt. the number of user-visible changes. It does contain a couple of usability enhancements for the GUI, though, that folks will hopefully appreciate.

Nothing has changed for package managers since v29.0.0.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Quote:
# Version 30.0.0 "Interstellar" 2019-01-04

## New features and enhancements

* mkvextract: WAV extractor: mkvextract will now write W64 files instead of WAV files if the file name extension is `.w64` or if the final file size is bigger than 4 GB, the file size limit for WAV files. Implements #2458.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: a new button was added next to the "destination file" controls. Clicking it shows a menu with the ten most recently used output directories. Selecting one of them will change the destination file to the selected directory keeping the file name. Implements #2468.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer (preferences): the ten most recently used values for the "relative output directory" and "fixed output directory" settings are now saved. The corresponding settings have been changed into combo boxes allowing quick access to those recent values.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer (preferences): the predefined split sizes and durations can now be customized in the preferences.
* MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor: added an option in the "Chapter editor" menu for appending chapters from an existing file to the currently open editor tab. Part of the implementation of #2439.
* MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor: added an action in the context menu for copying the selected entry and all of its children to another open editor tab. Part of the implementation of #2439.

## Bug fixes

* mkvmerge: all files opened for writing will now be flushed once before they're closed. This ensures the operating system actually writes all cached data to disk preventing data loss in certain situations such as power outages or buggy drivers in combination with suspending the computer. Fixes #2469.
* mkvmerge: AAC: under certain conditions 8 channel audio files were taken for 7 channel ones.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: removing a file added as an "additional part" will no longer cause a crash. Fixes #2461.
* source code: fixed compilation with Boost 1.69.0 after API-breaking change to the `boost::tribool` class. Fixes #2460.
Have fun

Old 4th January 2019, 16:34   #240  |  Link
manolito

Starting with this version 30.0.0 the old hack from this post:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...31#post1813131
to make the software work under Win XP is now history. The very latest version which works under XP after replacing the GUI with the old v. 10 GUI is v29.0.0. You can still download it here:

https://files.videohelp.com/u/172211/ToolNix_XP.zip

Cheers
manolito

/EDIT/
The archive was updated to also include the last Win7 compatible version (32-bit only)

Last edited by manolito; 20th April 2022 at 02:33.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska