Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th July 2008, 16:46   #101  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
Yes, but only if i first massage the h264 with h264info.
I've got a thread here about it: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137517

I was hoping that your script would include some missing mencoder options that would eliminate that h264info step.

Haven't got that far yet, but that new version does run with ac3 copy and the ps3 options.

Will not be looking at this for another week (gotta travel now), but will get back to you eventually if it works with the PS3.
you think I should add the insertSEI and contSPS option to tsMuxeR when creating TS files for the PS3? Maybe that's what h264info is doing?

Last edited by microchip8; 9th July 2008 at 16:59.
microchip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 22:37   #102  |  Link
blaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1 View Post
you think I should add the insertSEI and contSPS option to tsMuxeR when creating TS files for the PS3? Maybe that's what h264info is doing?
Wish I knew. Maybe that would be a good place to start?

Anyway, can't help testing until I get back to my PS3 next week.
blaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 10:17   #103  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

ChangeLog for version 8.5.4
Code:
* Added support for DTS, MP3 and MP2 audio for the TS container
* Optimizations to the TS container batch exporting code
* iPod optimizations to the MP4 muxing code
* Enabled neroAAC and Vorbis audio support for the Matroska container
* Updated the audio part of the PS3 presets. Added audio copy support so a
user can just copy the AC3 stream and later on mux it into a TS transport stream.
Note that I'm not sure if the PS3 can play H.264 TS files since the PS3 doc only
mentions MPEG2 TS and PS
* Added tsMuxeR options "insertSEI" and "contSPS" as default when muxing to the TS container
* Small tunings to the ps3vp preset. Made it main profile instead of high profile -> ps3hqvp is already
high profile so no need for ps3vp to also be high profile
* Disabled weight_b for the anime presets. According to Dark Shikari (an x264 developer) it decreases
the effectiveness of multiref while providing no benefit
* Do not ask for FPS conversion or pullup/pulldown if the user forces an output frame rate
Old 11th July 2008, 20:54   #104  |  Link
nm

Quote:
* Updated the audio part of the PS3 presets. Added audio copy support so a
user can just copy the AC3 stream and later on mux it into a TS transport stream.
Note that I'm not sure if the PS3 can play H.264 TS files since the PS3 doc only
mentions MPEG2 TS and PS
It can play H.264 in both TS and PS, as far as I know. Transport and Programs Streams are specified in MPEG-2 Part 1 (PS is also in MPEG-1 Systems), so that's why the documentation mentions MPEG-2. They can carry various video formats, including H.264 and VC-1.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 21:03   #105  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Thanks for the info. I'm still doing a bit of research here. As I don't have a PS3 myself, I'm basically tapping in the dark and trying to guess which options are good for the PS3 and which break playback on it... :/
Old 18th July 2008, 16:08   #106  |  Link
blaz

Quote:
Well, I'm back and tried the latest h264enc TS options with h264 and AC3. Everything went smoothly, except the PS3 doesn't like the result, as usual.

But if I go back to the raw h264 created, and run it though h264info, and rebox it with the ac3 copy using tsMuxeR, the PS3 plays it fine.

It's something about the h264 files coming out of mencoder that h264info changes. No idea what it is though.
Old 18th July 2008, 16:15   #107  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

well, i have no idea what exactly to change so the PS3 can accept the files. There must be something that h264info is doing that i cannot reproduce here. I can only hope that a future firmware for the PS3 will make it more compatible
Old 18th July 2008, 23:55   #108  |  Link
blaz

Quote:
well, i have no idea what exactly to change so the PS3 can accept the files. There must be something that h264info is doing that i cannot reproduce here. I can only hope that a future firmware for the PS3 will make it more compatible
yup. The ps3 is way too picky for my taste. And being proprietary there's nothing you can do about it. Did try booting linux on it, but the linux audio drivers are only 2 channel so no surround sound.

By the way, I see you are running 64 bit linux.
Any idea how much 64 bit speeds up h264 encoding over 32 bit?
Mencoder's is running both cores on my cpu but it's still just a 32bit debian os.
Old 19th July 2008, 08:57   #109  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
Any idea how much 64 bit speeds up h264 encoding over 32 bit?
About 10%
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 01:14   #110  |  Link
noblewolf

Hi Everyone,
First off, the h264enc is awesome. It has helped me save lots of space on my file server. I am having one problem though and I keep getting a segmentation fault. Let me explain what I had to do. A friend of mine came for a visit and brought their camcorder along. I had problems getting to work with linux, so had to use windoze to get the files over. The only program I had was nero vision for the dv input. Since time was an issue, I just captured every tape to its own file. And would edit later. The files were HUGE. I have one for almost 22 gigs for 1.8 hrs of video. The files end in .avi but I believe there is some kind of nero encoding with them, that none of my editing software for linux can use. I get segmentation faults for almost every program I try, and both xine and mplayer can not play the audio. Is there a special script for h264enc to take that file and make it into a format I can edit with linux (i.e. openmovie editor, cinellera, etc.)

My machine specs are as follows:
E6600 (soon to be switched to a Q6600)
8 gigs of ram
500 gigs of HD space.

Any help on where to go from here? I am lost as to even look for a solution.

Thanks
noblewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 01:15   #111  |  Link
noblewolf

Silly me, I'm running Suse 10.3 x64 as my OS.
noblewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 17:23   #112  |  Link
Rasi

Am I right that if i want to have a final mkv with 2 (or 3) audio streams + 2 (or 3) subtitles, i will have to rip those manually, substract their filesize from final size in order to use h264enc?

If so - How can i archieve encoding the audio streams with them having the right delay and all?
Rasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 16:44   #113  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

ChangeLog for version 8.5.5
Code:
* Presets updates: most presets have been updated to reflect the recent
changes made to the subme system in libx264. The options 'bime' and 'brdo' have
also been removed as they are no longer available as separate options in libx264.
'bime' is automatically enabled if a preset uses subme >= 5, brdo has been included
into the subme system. Please upgrade your libx264 to the latest version if you
encounter problems when using the presets.
* Updated the 'preset.cfg' preset skeleton file
* Separated the 'normal' deinterlacers from the frame doubling ones
* More optimizations to the TS container code
* Disabled b_pyramid for the PS3 presets. Should increase compatibility with the PS3 a bit more
* Added Vorbis audio support for the OGM container
* denoise3d & hqdn3d: increased default denoising values to 3:2:3:2
* Removed path specification for MEncoder
* Cosmetics & cleanups
Old 19th October 2008, 15:00   #114  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

ChangeLog for version 8.5.6

Code:
* Updated the 'preset.cfg' skeleton file. Added support for psy_rd, Psychovisual optimization
* Improved subtitle handling for video file encodings. Now the user can select to hardcode a given
subtitle into the movie or import it into the MP4 and/or MKV container. Only two subtitle formats are
supported and have been tested: VobSub and SRT
* Added support for sample encoding and previewing. When encoding samples, one can specify the
start position and the duration in seconds for the sample. Sample encoding respects encoding passes
meaning if you execute h264enc in two-pass mode and want to encode a sample before the real encoding
starts, then the sample will also be encoded in two-pass mode with all the options and filters selected by
the user. Sample encoding can further be used to encode only specific parts of a video file or a DVD. In
regards to DVDs, sample encoding does not respect selected DVD chapters meaning the given start position
for the sample will overwrite the selected DVD chapter(s). This is a mencoder problem and there's nothing I can do about it.
* Presets update: most presets for portable devices have been renamed. Please read the man page or
execute 'h264enc --help' for more information
* Added two QuickTime presets - qt and qthq
* denoise3d & hqdn3d: implemented weak/medium/strong denoising presets
* Removed quantization parameters for the spp, uspp, fspp and pp7 deblockers
* Updated the crop preview code. Instead of sleeping for 15 seconds and then killing the PID value of mplayer,
use the -endpos option
* Updated the man page
Old 24th October 2008, 22:44   #115  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasi View Post
Am I right that if i want to have a final mkv with 2 (or 3) audio streams + 2 (or 3) subtitles, i will have to rip those manually, substract their filesize from final size in order to use h264enc?

If so - How can i archieve encoding the audio streams with them having the right delay and all?
Yes, you are right. At the moment, h264enc supports only one audio stream. If you want more, you'll have to add them manually. The same goes for more than one subtitles.

as for the right delay/synchronization, this can be a touch one. mkvmerge has an option to sync tracks (--delay). You may want to try that one. Sorry for late answer.
Old 26th October 2008, 08:40   #116  |  Link
Rasi

Quote:
Yes, you are right. At the moment, h264enc supports only one audio stream. If you want more, you'll have to add them manually. The same goes for more than one subtitles.

as for the right delay/synchronization, this can be a touch one. mkvmerge has an option to sync tracks (--delay). You may want to try that one. Sorry for late answer.
hmmm... i have to do it afterwards? *sigh*

I remember all the windows tools added the delay in mp3's filenames, so it was pretty easy to do this...
Old 28th October 2008, 15:42   #117  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

ChangeLog for version 8.5.7

Code:
* Improved DVD handling. Now there's a menu where the user can select the
input type: ISO image, VIDEO_TS folder or DVD drive
* Presets updates: updated the b_adapt option. It supports parameters. Also updated
the standard presets to use level 4.1 instead of 5.1 and enabled psy_rd (psychovisual
optimization) for all presets that use subq 6 or higher
* Added two Archos 605 presets (ar and arhq). The presets are directly lifted from AutoMKV
(thanks buzzqw) but are a bit modified to get a somewhat higher quality
* Added two Blackberry 9000 presets (bb and bbhq)
* Added two Blu-ray presets (bd and bdhq). When using these presets, h264enc can create
a Blu-ray disc structure if tsMuxeR is available on the user's system. Latest tsMuxeR version
for Linux is 1.7.3(b) which has a bug when creating a Blu-ray structure. h264enc has a workaround
for this
* Added access unit delimiters (aud) for the PS3, Blu-ray and HW compatible presets
* Set the field order of the tfields filter to auto detection
* Bugfix: when using the presets for the iPod/iPhone, h264enc didn't set the SAR to 1:1 when remuxing
to MP4. Bug was introduced due to renaming of the portable device presets
* Removed AAC object type complexity menu. AAC (FAAC) is best used in low complexity mode
* Small improvement to the TS container code. Always write the FPS value to the meta file when
muxing to TS. Also use mencoder/mplayer instead of MP4Box to extract video and audio
* Added extra strong denoising preset for the denoise3d & hqdn3d filters
* Implemented configuration file support. As of this version, h264enc automatically generates a config
file in its configuration directory. The config file can be used by the user to modify/set the paths to
various programs. This can be useful if the user has multiple executables of the same program(s) but
wants to use a specific one for the job. It can also be used to set the correct path to a program if the
program in question is not located in a standard location and cannot be found by the system. The configuration
file cannot be used to store encoding settings or other parameters! It is only meant for the tools needed for
the correct operation of h264enc. The config file will be generated in /home/user_name/.h264enc/config.
The config file has its own versioning system and will be automatically updated in case something changes
in future versions of h264enc
* Added -r option to reset the config file in case the user has made any changes to it and wants to restore
the original values of the config file
* Updated the man page
Old 10th November 2008, 16:26   #118  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

ChangeLog for version 8.5.8
Code:
* Added support for the aacplusenc AAC+ audio encoder from Matteo Croce
* Updated the MP4 & MKV batch exporting and muxing code to support the aacplusenc encoder
* Display elapsed time when encoding samples
* Added NAL HRD to the Blu-ray presets. This requires a patched x264 with the NAL HRD patch.
The patch along with install instructions can be downloaded from http://h264enc.sourceforge.net/download.html
* Added option nal_hrd to the 'preset.cfg' skeleton file
* In some cases it is possible for h264enc to leave its unique temp directory. Find those directories
and remove them if they are 15 or more days old
* Added support for deinterlacing at half frame rate. Useful for interlaced content that's running
at 50 or 59.940 fps (100i/120i)
* Updated the source_fps_func() function
* Removed support for the MP2, WMA and ADPCM audio codecs. No one uses these codecs in
combination with H.264 video
* Removed support for MPEG-2 AAC audio
* Reduced some code duplication in the set_output_filename_func() function by moving path
and extension checking into its own function
* SSIM and PSNR statistics are now enabled by default
* Removed the noise filter. No real use for it
* Updated the audio_resample_func() function
* Updated the check_audio_codec_func() function
* Updated the genconfig_func() function
* Updated the man page
* Updated the README.h264enc file
Old 13th November 2008, 11:11   #119  |  Link
Rasi

Hmm... i did this:

i dumped the subtitles and audio tracks i wanted and converted audio to vorbis.

I looked how big those files are together and substracted it from 1400
(1400 - 238 = 1162)

I said yes in h264enc when it asked for a certain fileseize and entered "1162"

After muxing the resulting file was 1300MB instead of 1400... is there a bug?

Last edited by Rasi; 13th November 2008 at 11:14.
Old 13th November 2008, 14:49   #120  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Hi Rasi,

Can you please give me the video length of the movie? I'm not really sure why this is happening. h264enc calculates the target filesize when encoding without audio as follows: TARGET_SIZE_IN_MB * 8192 / VIDEO_LENGTH_IN_SEC

The above formula will calculate the bitrate needed for the given target filesize. I have never seen it miss its target filesize.

Tags
h264enc, ipod, mencoder, ps3, xbox360