Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 12th November 2017, 16:14   #26701  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
What does IGS_ENABLE=1 do? I do not see it described in HIDDENOPTS.TXT
It will force streams with IGS be reencoded. It just adds time since TSMUXER doesn't support IGS and BD-RB will have to do some magic to get it muxed. IGS is much more typical in menus than regular video, where they are generally small and BD-RB prefers to leave them intact.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th November 2017 at 16:28.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 16:24   #26702  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv-inRI View Post
How do I prevent BDRebuilder from recoding to make programming completely fill a BD-R? I have a bunch of TV shows I've recorded onto a DVD-recorder. I am then putting them on my computer HDD as MKV files (so I can change the AR which is set incorrectly by the DVD-recorder), and then I am importing 10 to 12 at a time to make one BD using Quick Play Backup. The files are about 1.7 Gb each so 10 should make a disc about 17 Gb. However, the process takes nearly 2 hours, and I end up with a BD that is 22.3 Gb in size.

I have added FORCE_NOENCODE=1 to my BDRebuilder.ini file. Is there something else I need to do to prevent it recoding? I don't think I care that it completely fills the BD. I just don't want a lot of recoding going on unnecessarily.

TIA.

SMK
If the input came from a DVD then it shouldn't need reencoding (unless it is at a resolution lower than 720x480/576). If size isn't an issue -- then just burn the original pseudo-BD structure after the import. The menu created during import is the same menu as you'd get from a follow on "Quick Play Backup". If there is a PSEUDO folder, look in it to see what changes are being made. If it is clear, then just delete the folder (although it won't hurt anything if you don't delete it).

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th November 2017 at 17:27.
Old 13th November 2017, 00:27   #26703  |  Link
RoyGBiv-inRI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
If the input came from a DVD then it shouldn't need reencoding (unless it is at a resolution lower than 720x480/576). If size isn't an issue -- then just burn the original pseudo-BD structure after the import. The menu created during import is the same menu as you'd get from a follow on "Quick Play Backup". If there is a PSEUDO folder, look in it to see what changes are being made. If it is clear, then just delete the folder (although it won't hurt anything if you don't delete it).
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

I presume the original pseudo BD structure is located in the "work" folder?

SMK
RoyGBiv-inRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 00:46   #26704  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

I presume the original pseudo BD structure is located in the "work" folder?

SMK
Yes -- unless you set it elsewhere in the INI file with the "IMPORT_FOLDER=" hidden option.
Old 13th November 2017, 01:55   #26705  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Thanks. I'll search around to see if I can try some other options.

SMK
Well, although BDRB natively re-encodes anything that isn't compliant, there may be a hidden option to turn that off. JD or one of the others here can tell you.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 15:44   #26706  |  Link
RoyGBiv-inRI

Quote:
I just tried it, and it worked fine. Thanks. This is just what I wanted.

SMK
RoyGBiv-inRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 16:10   #26707  |  Link
jdobbs

Wow. Have any of you ever tried encoding 2160p video to the 10 bit blu-ray standard with X265? I'm getting 1.22 frames per second. I'm close to making BD-RB work for UHD-BD -- but I don't know if it is worth it when it might take 39 hours for a single pass to encode a two hour movie.

This is on an 8 core AMD FX-8350 running at over 4Ghz. Does anyone else see better results?

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th November 2017 at 16:18.
Old 16th November 2017, 18:35   #26708  |  Link
bjones

jdobbs, I've encountered something I've never seen before, doing Cars 3 the resultant disk is for lack of a better word choppy. It's like a constant consistent stutter of the video ? I thought it might be x264 related so I redid it using FRIM and it's the same result. Then I thought maybe it was some kind of motion processing going on in the TV so I redid basically a direct copy of the original disk to a double layer BD RE and that copy behaved correctly exactly like the original. Also another oddity is that even though I tried to force a no re encode situation by making the target larger than the source it still re encoded things?

Logs attached, is there something I'm missing on getting a playable backup?
Attached Files
File Type: txt BD-REBUILDER.LOG.TXT (27.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: txt CARS_3.INF.TXT (9.5 KB, 14 views)
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 18:55   #26709  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
This is on an 8 core AMD FX-8350 running at over 4Ghz. Does anyone else see better results?
FX is obsolete. x265 works best on AVX2 cpus (2xFMAC256bit)

Overclocked six core 8700@5GHz is 3 times faster.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 18:55   #26710  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

@jdobbs i think the problem here will be your CPU/system A quick google shows that CPU was released in 2012 and x265 was only announced! in 2013 (let alone officially released). The cpu likely just doesn't support it officially. Current generation CPU's and GPU's DO however support it and i doubt those will be 1FPS since they are capable of uhd playback
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 19:22   #26711  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
FX is obsolete. x265 works best on AVX2 cpus (2xFMAC256bit)
That's kinda like saying i5 and i7 are obsolete -- making 90% of the computers being sold obsolete.

Yet the chart shows an FX-8320 running at 12.1fps -- about 10 times faster that I'm getting. The FX-8320 is slower than my processor in every benchmark I can find.

I'm guessing these times aren't using the settings required for UHD-BD or on an 2160p source. If that's the case -- none of these look like they would be up to the task.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th November 2017 at 19:32.
Old 16th November 2017, 19:53   #26712  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

If you thought a little bit longer then you would discover that it says FHD aka 1920x1080! Like I said before x265 loves CPUs with real AVX2 (2xFMAC256).
Besides You must have already forgotten times when encoding with x264 was also very painfully slow on 2 core cpus (Core 2 Duo@1.8GHz). People were also waiting a day or two to encode single movie with some decent quality settings.

AMD FX is obsolete. IPC for example is pathetic.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 16th November 2017 at 20:11.
Old 16th November 2017, 20:07   #26713  |  Link
jdobbs

This processor can reencode an entire Blu-Ray disc in under two hours with X264. It's a long way from "obsolete". It does 1080p (FHD) output using X265 at over 17fps (putting it at the top of your first chart). But, hey, let's not let things like FACTS clutter up the conversation.

So, just guessing, an i9 processor might get about 10fps on a UHD-HD 2160p encode. That would translate to about 4.75 hours for a two hour movie (per pass) -- and that's with an $1100 processor (and probably a $4000 computer)! A full backup would likely be twice that long.

The bottom line is that if I add UHD-BD backup capability to BD-RB, everybody is going to complain like hell no matter what processor they have. So I'm reconsidering whether it's worth the remaining effort. At most, for a typical user, it might only be useful for removing or modifying audio tracks to make it fit on a standard blu-ray without reencoding the video.

The testing was with --preset medium. I'll have to see what improvements I get with a lower preset.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th November 2017 at 23:54.
Old 16th November 2017, 20:15   #26714  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
The bottom line is that if I add UHD-BD backup capability to BD-RB, everybody is going to complain like hell no matter what processor they have. So I'm reconsidering it.
Just put a warning for those snowflakes and that's it.
Old 16th November 2017, 20:43   #26715  |  Link
jdobbs

I'd guess that 90% of the using audience is using processors lower than or slightly better than mine. $4000 computers are for the rich (which I'm not). Anyway, I tested it with --preset superfast and it runs at about 8.5fps, so I can at least test it without having to spend weeks encoding. I'll just keep working on it for now.

Does anyone out there have a reliable command line for X265 that always works for UHD-BD? And please don't suggest using just "--uhd-bd" -- as it results in a blank picture on my Sony UBP-X800 player after being muxed correctly (the muxing works with an original UHD-BD .hevc stream).

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th November 2017 at 20:46.
Old 16th November 2017, 21:32   #26716  |  Link
meadrocks

Is there any reason I can't use x265 ver 2.4 with BD-RB? I like the new enhancement "Lambda tables for 8, 10, and 12-bit encoding revised, resulting in significant enhancement to subjective visual quality.".
meadrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 21:47   #26717  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadrocks View Post
Is there any reason I can't use x265 ver 2.4 with BD-RB? I like the new enhancement "Lambda tables for 8, 10, and 12-bit encoding revised, resulting in significant enhancement to subjective visual quality.".
None that I can think of. Try it and see if it works...
Old 16th November 2017, 22:46   #26718  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Wow. Have any of you ever tried encoding 2160p video to the 10 bit blu-ray standard with X265? I'm getting 1.22 frames per second. I'm close to making BD-RB work for UHD-BD -- but I don't know if it is worth it when it might take 39 hours for a single pass to encode a two hour movie.

Ever considered using HW encoding?
If you post your settings I can try on my system

Code:
avs2pipemod\avs2pipemod64.exe" -y4mp W:\TEMP\Philips_Ultra-HD_Beach_Life_supershop-demo-3_temp\Philips_Ultra-HD_Beach_Life_supershop-demo-3.avs | "C:\Program Files (Portable)\StaxRip\Apps\x265\x265.exe" --crf 18 --profile main10 --output-depth 10 --videoformat component --transfer smpte2084 --range full --hdr --frames 3146 --y4m --output W:\TEMP\Philips_Ultra-HD_Beach_Life_supershop-demo-3_temp\Philips_Ultra-HD_Beach_Life_supershop-demo-3_out.hevc
With this cmd line I get about 4 fps, kind of slow

Last edited by gonca; 17th November 2017 at 01:16.
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 11:29   #26719  |  Link
geheim

I get around 4fps on my Intel i7 with x265 - and I don't care about speed, therefore I really hope you don't decide to drop UHD support, @jdobbs. And speeds will get better with future processors anyway

Perhaps there would be a way to integrate nvenc for NVIDIA GPU's as well?? With this you could increase the speed to more than 100fps - similiar to hw encoding with FRIM. Don't know how much work this would be though.

Anyway thanks for working on this at all
geheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 13:53   #26720  |  Link
fgm

Just follow Microsoft's credo... "build it and computer power will come"
fgm is offline   Reply With Quote