Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 14th May 2019, 20:26   #28501  |  Link
Blurayhd

Hi Guys I doing a copy of my Bluray disc that I have on my collection, just in case because last week I lost several Bluray movies but as I usually do time ago I make a copy from each of them (thank you Jdobbs for that) and another many I just make an MKV with audios and subtitles all just like the Bluray movie contain

So, the think is in my country the Bluray blank disc is very expensive so I wish to pass this MKV movies to a another MKV but this time can get some small archive and with BD rebuilder I tried with 1920x1080, intact audio with CRF setting to 20, all I wish to know is what number of CRF do you recomend for get the best quality maybe I can get but smaller archive?

And I can see thereīs an option for encoding the audio to AAC, if I do that, thereīs a way to recover from this AAC to the original audio?

Thank you in advance guys!!
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 21:24   #28502  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
And I can see thereīs an option for encoding the audio to AAC, if I do that, thereīs a way to recover from this AAC to the original audio?
What do you mean by "original audio?" Provide examples of types of what you have in the MKV files. For original Blu-ray discs, the audio will the lossless type. DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD.

When creating the MKV files, if you kept the original lossless audio, you will not be able to get that back if you convert to AAC. Even if you kept the lossy core when converting to MKV, converting that to AAC will cause the audio to be even lossier. Especially if you try and go back to DTS or DD. In other words, don't convert to AAC.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 01:47   #28503  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
What do you mean by "original audio?" Provide examples of types of what you have in the MKV files. For original Blu-ray discs, the audio will the lossless type. DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD.

When creating the MKV files, if you kept the original lossless audio, you will not be able to get that back if you convert to AAC. Even if you kept the lossy core when converting to MKV, converting that to AAC will cause the audio to be even lossier. Especially if you try and go back to DTS or DD. In other words, don't convert to AAC.
Thank you very much for your recomendation, and about the CRF what number to put there?

All this is because I have on my disc several MKVs that previously I make the backup but my budget donīt let me to buy so many Bluray disc, so that MKVs like I said I wish to keep in that way (no problem with that) but if thereīs is some option for reduce the size (I know Iīll get less quality than the original) but I have to be there some CRF number so Iīll can keep the most quality as possible?

I mean, in few words? I need this MKVs with the best quality that I can get but reduce the size

And if the MKV I can see some have DTS HD or DTS MA and I donīt need that because I donīt have a system audio, previously eventually Iīll convert that DTS MA to a DTS Core so I can get more video quality

Thank you for your pacience and I know now not AAC but know what CRF will helping me
Old 15th May 2019, 05:11   #28504  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I mean, in few words? I need this MKVs with the best quality that I can get but reduce the size
Video quality is subjective. It is what you'll tolerate.
Quote:
And if the MKV I can see some have DTS HD or DTS MA and I donīt need that because I donīt have a system audio, previously eventually Iīll convert that DTS MA to a DTS Core so I can get more video quality
I suggest telling BDRB to keep the core, so that it can attempt to figure out the best bitrate.
Quote:
Thank you for your pacience and I know now not AAC but know what CRF will helping me
I do all of my video encoding outside of BDRB. When I do that, I set the bitrate, not the CRF and use 2-pass encoding. Be sure and tell BDRB to use 2-pass. So, unfortunately I cannot suggest a value.

Are the discs you are attempting to make BD-ROM, i.e., they contain MKV files, or are you making BD discs with a menu? If you are making a disc with menus, then the files on the disc are not MKV, but M2TS. I don't think that BRDB can make BD-ROM discs with MKV files.

Whatever you are using as a source, you should not use MKV, or M2TS, files that have been previously encoded from the original Blu-ray discs. The process of recoding the recoded video will result in added encoding errors. You need to go back to the original Blu-ray discs and work from there.
Old 18th May 2019, 06:14   #28505  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Video quality is subjective. It is what you'll tolerate.

I do all of my video encoding outside of BDRB. When I do that, I set the bitrate, not the CRF and use 2-pass encoding. Be sure and tell BDRB to use 2-pass. So, unfortunately I cannot suggest a value.
First Thank you Mrvideo for your big pacience with me I really appreciate it

About MKVs each one without nothing, just the movie

And I really want to do that youīre saying I mean, the 2-pass encoding so far I know that option taking the static or ...I donīt know exactly the word, I mean that scenes where is not action or big movements and doesnīt take the same biltrate that the scenes that contains fully action etc and that one need the most biltrate so Bd rebuilder assign dependeing of that scenes the biltrate and decides the final size?

Or Iīm wrong with that?

If it is correct how to know what number to put on the first pass and sencond pass?
Old 18th May 2019, 18:39   #28506  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
And I really want to do that youīre saying I mean, the 2-pass encoding so far I know that option taking the static or ...I donīt know exactly the word, I mean that scenes where is not action or big movements and doesnīt take the same biltrate that the scenes that contains fully action etc and that one need the most biltrate so Bd rebuilder assign dependeing of that scenes the biltrate and decides the final size?
BDRB doesn't decide what bitrate to apply to various scenes. The x264 encoder does that via the two passes. What BDRB supplies is the resulting target to shoot for, be it a particular bitrate, etc. I personally supply a target bitrate. The CRF is used to target quality, for which the bitrate the computed. JDobbs can better explain what his thinking is for what he does.
Quote:
If it is correct how to know what number to put on the first pass and second pass?
The same number is used for both. The final result would be screwed up if the value was changed between passes.
Old 20th May 2019, 20:14   #28507  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Been forever since I used this, since my PC died. Now I installed to another and can't recall--how do I set BD-RB so that it does only extraction and remuxing? I just want to keep the original BD's video and audio without any compression or other alterations. Using Movie-only mode if that's important.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 23:08   #28508  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Been forever since I used this, since my PC died. Now I installed to another and can't recall--how do I set BD-RB so that it does only extraction and remuxing? I just want to keep the original BD's video and audio without any compression or other alterations. Using Movie-only mode if that's important.
Code:
FORCE_NOENCODE=1
in the configuration file
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 23:23   #28509  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Code:
FORCE_NOENCODE=1
in the configuration file
Thank you gonca! I might never have found this on my own!

FORCE_NOENCODE=n n = 0/1 - if set to 1, BD-RB will always use original video (sizing will not be checked)

Last edited by laserfan; 20th May 2019 at 23:26.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 23:39   #28510  |  Link
gonca

Don't forget to make sure that the audio doesn't get encoded
Code:
KEEP_HD_LPCM=n
Along with the other audio settings

Quote:
Do not convert DTS to AC3
Do not reencode AC3
Keep HD audio

Last edited by gonca; 20th May 2019 at 23:46.
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 18:20   #28511  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
I'm not sure if I've requested this or not, so I'll just do it, just in case I hadn't.

Allow for more characters in a menu item.

I've run into some show episode titles that are too long. And yet there is plenty of room on the screen, I only ever do a single column. Maybe a hidden menu option:
Code:
MENU_NUMBER_COLUMS=0    Max number menu item colums: 0=as needed (default). Setting to 1 will allow for more characters in the menu item. The more columns allowed, the less numbers of characters per menu item.
I'd like to see this as well. Just finished re-authoring each season of Cheers to Blu-ray.

Had to shorten a number of episode names due to the character limit. Well, I like to include the broadcast date for each as well. Would love to see the character limit increased. There's certainly plenty of screen real estate for it.

Last edited by Lowpro; 30th May 2019 at 21:31.
Lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 22:43   #28512  |  Link
Blurayhd

Hi guys I trying to pass my MKVs (that previously pass from BD50 to MKV 264 with MakeMKV) and the thing is when I play this MKVs encoding with alternate movie HEVC intact resolution the movie present some problems like codec or something because when I play on my TV I see some think like green pixels and another thinks just like when the movie is bad, and just for see what happens I tried with Handbrake and it do the job and I can see without problems but Handbrake for some reazon eliminate the lower and upper black bars so I watch in full screern, I want to use BD Rebuilder but I dont know what the image is bad?

Here is the log

Quote:
[18:02:47] Importing MKV: THE_LAST_JEDI_T00_(1)-024
- Preparing MKV for processing...
- Collecting audio/video streams from source...
- Building pseudo-BD source structure...
[18:19:32] Video import completed successfully.
----------------------
[05/23/19] BD Rebuilder v0.60.04
[18:20:51] Source: THE_LAST_JEDI_T00_(1)-024_00000
- Input BD size: 0.73 GB
- Approximate total content: [00:04:58.923]
- Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
- MOVIE-ONLY/ALTERNATE OUTPUT mode enabled
- Mode: MKV Container, HEVC, NO_RESIZE, Intact Audio
- Quality: Good (Very Fast)
- Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
[18:20:51] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [18:20:51] Processing: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
- [18:20:51] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
- [18:21:07] Reencoding video [VID_00000]
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 7,167 frames
- [18:21:07] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 1
- [18:27:21] Video Encode complete
- [18:27:21] Processing audio tracks
[18:27:21]PHASE ONE complete
[18:27:21]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [18:27:21] Building ALTERNATE OUTPUT Structure
[18:27:23] - Encode and Rebuild complete
[18:27:23] JOB: THE_LAST_JEDI_T00_(1)-024 finished.
here is the problem and like I said is happens with Bd Rebuilder, and please excuse me Jdobbs I hope dont breaking any rules

Iīll appreciate if you can help me

Last edited by Blurayhd; 23rd May 2019 at 23:22.
Old 24th May 2019, 03:31   #28513  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Hi guys I trying to pass my MKVs (that previously pass from BD50 to MKV 264 with MakeMKV) and the thing is when I play this MKVs encoding with alternate movie HEVC intact resolution the movie present some problems like codec or something because when I play on my TV I see some think like green pixels and another thinks just like when the movie is bad, and just for see what happens I tried with Handbrake and it do the job and I can see without problems but Handbrake for some reazon eliminate the lower and upper black bars so I watch in full screern, I want to use BD Rebuilder but I dont know what the image is bad? Iīll appreciate if you can help me.
What's your ultimate goal? Why not just start from scratch? Backup the original Blu-ray disc again, then use BDRB selecting the type of output that you want.
Lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2019, 05:12   #28514  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
What's your ultimate goal? Why not just start from scratch? Backup the original Blu-ray disc again, then use BDRB selecting the type of output that you want.
I just canīt believe I missed it I mean if I got you, youīre mean I can use the original disc that I can pass to some folder on disc and encode to MKV directly (thank you buddy, really)

But like I said before dear lowpro, weeks ago I lost serveral original Bluray disc from my collection, but months ago I decided to start to check the disc, see the surface etc and the mostly of those I lost I did an MKV backup from the principal movie, because that I have several MKVs movies collection that are taking serveral space on hard disc and I need it. Besides in my country buy a Bluray blank disc is very expensive and considering that movies are in MKV all I wish to know is how to do for reduce the size (I know, Iīll lost quality) but the less possible I can keep

I appreciate your pacience and thank you for read this Lowpro I really donīt have any intention to disturb, all I wish is to know
Old 26th May 2019, 00:58   #28515  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I think it's not a bug, but maybe it is? Has anyone else notice this? I've noticed it before with movie discs and I just went ahead and converted all I wanted to MKVs to imported and create a new disc.. I'm processing a TV Episode BD and an extra is possible to be blanked or not. I have it set to not be. So it should be processed, which it does. The processed output has the .M2TS, but when I played back the BD comes right back to that part of the menu without playing the M2TS. When I open the processed directory with BD-RB it sees the playlist, and will still preview the video.
Old 26th May 2019, 06:23   #28516  |  Link
MrVideo

@AmigaFuture: I'm confused. Why are you taking a BD, converting to MKVs and then creating a new BD? If your goal is to do a backup of the BD50 to a BD25, do just that, a backup. No need to go to MKVs first.
Old 27th May 2019, 00:44   #28517  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I did that. The extra doesn't play when a new BD-50 is made. But...after further checking, there's something "not right" with the file.. I can make an MKV of it, and have BD-RB import it, but even that doesn't play with PowerDVD 12 or my newer LG player. I'm doing more checking into what's happening.
Old 27th May 2019, 05:26   #28518  |  Link
Blurayhd

please excuse me guys thereīs some way to fix that problem that show you on http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=28513

Maybe I have to change some codec? I donīt know what to do

Thank you in advance!!
Old 27th May 2019, 19:30   #28519  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Maybe I have to change some codec? I donīt know what to do
Sorry, but I do not have a clue as to what is going wrong.
Old 27th May 2019, 20:32   #28520  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
@AmigaFuture: I'm confused. Why are you taking a BD, converting to MKVs and then creating a new BD? If your goal is to do a backup of the BD50 to a BD25, do just that, a backup. No need to go to MKVs first.
Found problem. Check PM.