Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 18th October 2019, 05:04   #821  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngnt View Post
I've been using this feature quite a lot. I would suggest that when using
"Export -> BDN xml/png" --> Export all
instead of presenting Desktop as default export directory, to use the current location of the idx/sub or sup file ?
That would be a big time saver.
Thanks for your great job!
@dngnt: thx for the info
I've tried to fix it here: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Does that work for you?

Last edited by Nikse555; 18th October 2019 at 16:09. Reason: Add original quote
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2019, 21:13   #822  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
I have the same problem as Verminaard.

But, after some testing, I think I found something. The tool may have an issue when text for hearing impaired are BOTH italic AND in double lines. I created a little .srt file (attachment) that should explain.

Thx for the info - latest beta updated: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Old 24th October 2019, 09:47   #823  |  Link
von Suppé

Hi Nikse,

When I load the test srt (which I uploaded) in your latest beta, the issue of adding double dashes is fixed, indeed. But it still adds a dash to the first line?
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 11:41   #824  |  Link
Zetti

Thanks for new release:
https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...ses/tag/3.5.11
Zetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 15:05   #825  |  Link
Nikse555

@von Suppé: SE prefers dialog dashes for both lines... but please do post examples if you find bugs

@Zetti: you're welcome, seems to be a nice and stable release!

Also, if you have transport streams (.ts) files with teletext, please do test latest beta version (use File -> Open.. and choose .ts file): https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Old 3rd November 2019, 19:03   #826  |  Link
dngnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
@dngnt: thx for the info
I've tried to fix it here: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Does that work for you?
I've tried your latest Beta and your 3.5.11 version with the export --> png/xml .
it now offers "Desktop" for default for the output.
Still, I would prefer the current location of the .sup or idx/sub file ( which is on a separate hard disk, and a specific directory) for the default.
When I import from...and then do the OCR and then save... the current sub file location is by default.
With the export feature, one should expect the same behaviour .

Thanks a lot for your versatile tool!

Last edited by dngnt; 4th November 2019 at 11:17.
dngnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2019, 15:35   #827  |  Link
von Suppé

Build-up of SUP

Hi Nikse,

I am figuring out how to to deal with some issues I run into when using another subtitle tool, regarding SUP --> XML/PNG conversion and vice versa. In doing so, but also for just wanting to know this now, I ask myself, how are BD SUP files build up?
Since SubtitleEdit can export to BD SUP, I wonder if you can make some things clear.

As for graphics, of course I can export SUP to XML/PNG and take a look at the .png images. Doing this with an image-editor, it tells me that it's "2D" (only 1 layer) and of course it carries opacity-data.
Again, this is after SUP --> PNG/XML conversion. Are the pictures in SUP indeed stored as "2D" PNG (or uncompressed BMP32) or is there more to them?

Also (this would be ages ago) I read something about the picture's I/O timings being defined differently, using framenumbers & framerate instead of time-codes such as used in SRT. Never giving it more thought at the time, but now it's more topical for me.

I hope you can shed more light - for a newbie, as this is the first time I go more deeper into SUP.
Old 20th November 2019, 12:26   #828  |  Link
Nikse555

@von Suppé: Some nice info about bdsup is available here: http://blog.thescorpius.com/index.ph...btitle-format/
bdsup does not have frame number (it does have a "frame rate" but that is mostly not used), so it's time based like SRT.
Each image has a palette with 255 colors and each entry also has an "alpha" (lumianance) - much like an 8-bit png.
A bdsup entry can have multiple images (but mostly don't)
Old 20th November 2019, 12:50   #829  |  Link
von Suppé

Thanks for the info, Nikse. I'll go read.
Old 2nd December 2019, 00:09   #830  |  Link
darksen

I've been using your program for a very long time and it is great. I always wanted to make a request, but I never registered here until some time ago.
I make a big use of the replace list with a lot of custom regex and other stuff and as such I have set it the best I could so I don't need/have to review every little change it does. My request is to split the message: "Fix common OCR errors (using OCR replace list)" into two messages, one pointing that the change is made using the default replace list and other pointing that the change comes from the user replace list. That way I can disable the changes I have to review and apply the changes I know I don't have to check (the ones coming from the user replace list) so in the second pass I go one by one checking them, because a lot of times I got more than 200 hundred entries in there and going one by one checking what has changed to disable the ones that shouldn't be applied is very time consuming, sometimes I don't have to disable anything because all comes from my user list so I just waste time checking each entry.
Please, if you can consider adding this it would mean a lot.
Thank you.
darksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 10:18   #831  |  Link
nekrovski

Hi,
I was working on a subtitle. Then I used Handbrake to burn in the subtitle in the video.
When I played the video, this showed up
https://i.imgur.com/I9BNR0H.jpg
When the video is played without burned in subtitles, but instead with subtitles from a separate .srt file from the video, it shows fine.
I opened the subtitles with Notepad and I noticed that this empty space highlighted here
https://i.imgur.com/fXB3ydT.jpg
confuses Handbrake.

Is there a way for Subtitle Edit to detect errors like this with the Fix common errors option?
I tried but couldn't find.
nekrovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 15:52   #832  |  Link
Nikse555

SE 3.5.12 is out

Can now read teletext from .ts / .m2ts files - includes any colors + top alignment (.ts reading should also be faster)
Tesseract updated from 4.1.0 to 4.1.1 + more pre-processing image settings

@darksen: Did you get a lot of false corrections? Perhaps that could be improved if you posted some.

@nekrovski: It's not really errors with whitespaces... you could re-save with SE via command line perhaps?

EDIT and off topic: Is it possible to change the thread name? I've tried to change the title in the first post, but the thread title still says "Subtitle Edit 3.5.10"...
Old 4th February 2020, 15:23   #833  |  Link
mkver

Now that I wanted to test the new teletext feature I directly stumbled upon the issue behind my ticket 1897 again: It should be possible to treat several transport stream files as one big file (in case a DVR only supports FAT32 and therefore splits files into pieces smaller than 4GB each).
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 05:02   #834  |  Link
arslan

new Serbian dictionary?

Hi Nikse,

would it be possible to implement the new Serbian dictionary and spellchecker, which is significantly more comprehensive than the current one?

(The new one is located here:
https://github.com/msmiljan/korektor
and here:
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/e...nd-hyphenation)

Thank you very much!
arslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 17:04   #835  |  Link
GCRaistlin

How can I use portable MPC-HC with Subtitle Edit? MPC-HC option is greyed out in Settings.

Feature requests:
  1. [Options - Settings... - Word lists] Double click on a pair in OCR fix list fills the fields beside 'Add pair' button with the corresponding values.
  2. [Options - Settings... - Tools - Fix common OCR errors - also use hard-coded rules] Make using hard-coded rules customizable. For example, replacing 'l' between uppercase letters with 'I' is surely needed while converting the first letter of the paragraph to uppercase may be completely unwanted.
  3. [Import/OCR Blu-ray (.sup) subtitle file...] Add the ability to disable spell checking while still using OCR fix list for selected language. This makes sense because some errors like "l instead of I after the dot" aren't being fixed by OCR fix list and hence force spell checking dialog to appear. But they may be fixed by applying a regexp in an external editor (for the mentioned error it would be "(?<!\w)l(?!\w)"). Applying regexps before spell checking saves a lot of time but to use regexps currently we need to OCR without error fixing and then call Fix common errors tool with only 'Fix common OCR errors (using OCR replace list)' option checked.
  4. Add the ability to use regexps to fix common OCR errors. It would be great to create a predefined set of regexps like the one above. I'm ready to share my own.
  5. Look for Settings.xml in the current (working) directory (i. e. directory that was the current when SE was laucnhed) instead of the directory where SubtitleEdit.exe is located. It would allow to have different settings for different cases or users.
Bugs (Import/OCR Blu-ray subtitle, OCR method: Binary image compare, Image database: Latin):
  1. Non-Italic dashes that are followed by Italic text are erroneously recognized as Italic (example). Also another bug with this example subpic: if Dictionary field is empty then the space after "Audience" is lost; if Dictionary is set to English then the space is preserved.
  2. "t ]" in Italic is recognized as "t]" with default "8 pixels is space" (example).
  3. '9' is recognized as '0' (example).
  4. Jumping to a subpic by typing its number in 'Subtitle text' area isn't working for #555: typing '5' repeatedly moves the cursor from #50 to #51, then to #52... #59, then to #500 and so on.
  5. 'Fix OCR errors' checkbox state isn't being saved.
OCR fix list (English):
  1. Why default OCR fix list includes "backseat -> back seat"? Is "backseat" really incorrect?
  2. Why default OCR fix list includes "lt -> it"? I believe it should be "lt -> It". The same thing with various lf-started pairs: one part of them has "If" as a result (which is correct), another part has "if" as a result (which is not).

Magically yours
Raistlin

Last edited by GCRaistlin; 18th March 2020 at 16:55.
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2020, 12:53   #836  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Hi all,

Since the update to 3.5.13, when I reload existing subtitles from a recent SRT, it doesn't load anymore the video which goes with it.

Can you please tell me how to restore this?

Thank you.
Lucius Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2020, 15:15   #837  |  Link
Nikse555

@arslan: thx, will be included in next update.

@GCRaistlin: A lot of input...
You probably need a 64-bit version of MPC-HC... but I would recommend that you try "mpv" as video player, as that seems to be the best option atm.
You can use "Ctrl+G" for go to sub#
'9' is recognized as '0'... Double click on the line in the list view, and use "Add better match".
5) Look for Settings.xml... that's what profiles were made for.
Regular expressions are already supported - see the english ocr fix replace list.
"backseat -> back seat"... yes, that seems like a bug, thx.

@Lucius Snow: SE 3.5.14 is out - and try "mpv" as video player (Options - Settings - Video player - Download mpv lib)
Old 19th March 2020, 09:59   #838  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
You probably need a 64-bit version of MPC-HC
I have both 32-bit and 64-bit portable versions installed. How SE recognizes that MPC-HC is (not) installed?

Quote:
'9' is recognized as '0'... Double click on the line in the list view, and use "Add better match".
That's what I've already done but isn't it an everyone's issue?

Quote:
that's what profiles were made for.
Profile on General tab? I don't see how to add a new one there. Also, changes seem to be written to the current profile without asking. For example I've changed 'Single line max. length' and the new value has been saved to 'Default' profile immediately.

Quote:
Regular expressions are already supported - see the english ocr fix replace list.
I don't see any regexps there (Words lists - OCR fix lists). Also, I mean support for manually applying regexps, not without asking.

Remove text for hearing impaired issues:
  1. It doesn't remove commas: "I am, uh, late" -> "I am, late". It is clear that it may be necessary commas but to leave them all - without the possibility to edit text right there - isn't a good decision, too.
  2. It's hard to identify a caption that needs to be edited after using this tool: only caption numbers are showed but the numeration will be changed due to the deletion of captions. So the only way is to write down a portion of the target caption text and then search it. Displaying of time codes (or/and log of applied fixes available after quitting the tool) would be great.

Now in List view Start time and Duration are displayed and available for editing. In some cases, editing of End time is preferable. Can you please add such a possibility?

The biggest trouble for me is though non-customizable hard-coded rules applying. To prevent making first letters uppercase I'm forced to perform a global replace with a regexp before Fix common errors and another global replace after.

Magically yours
Raistlin

Last edited by GCRaistlin; 19th March 2020 at 20:19.
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2020, 18:48   #839  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Quote:
@Lucius Snow: SE 3.5.14 is out - and try "mpv" as video player (Options - Settings - Video player - Download mpv lib)
Thank you.

I already use mpv but I installed it manually because it doesn't work from Subtitle Edit (error from a server with no SSL/TLS).

Same with 3.5.14.
Lucius Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2020, 21:49   #840  |  Link
Nikse555

@GCRaistlin: Do have have some examples where first letters are converted wrongly to uppercase via hard coded rules?
About the profile on General tab... click the "..." button the make new or delete profiles.
The double-click on word lists feature are available in latest beta.
About MPC-HC, you can use the "MpcHcLocation" in settings.xml or just a subfolder called "MPC-HC" in the SE folder, using the installer should also work (MPC-HC does not really have an API - SE actually just steals the video from the MPC-HC UI) - but just try mpv

@Lucius Snow: Hm, that works fine here... how can I re-create your issue with video not opening? Can you give more information? Is it all .srt files or only some. Video type? Do you have the video window open?