Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 30th October 2018, 11:47   #1  |  Link
robinwatts

Amazon Fire TV (Gen 2 box) - ideas for encoding for 3d

Hi all,

I have an Amazon Fire TV box (gen 2, the 4K, h265 capable one), that I use to drive an Epson EH-TV5100 Full HD 3d projector.

I've ripped all my 2d DVDs and blurays to a NAS for playing through MrMC, and it's working brilliantly. (I use MakeMKV and then feed into Handbrake to compress to H265, q20, with audio passthrough).

This just leaves my 3d discs still to rip.

Has anyone figured out what the best encoding possible is for this box?

If I just use MakeMKV to rip 3d blu-rays, and play them back with MrMC I get 2d playback.

If I use MakeMKV to rip 3d blu-rays, and feed the resultant MKV into BD3D2MK3D, I can create half-SBS files that play back, but that reduces the effective resolution of the video by 50% (I get a 1920x1080 video, of which 960x1080 is fed to each eye).

Before I go ahead and rip all my movies in this format, is there a better option I can pick so as to get 1920x1200 to each eye?

Unticking the "half" option on the SBS stuff in BD3D2MK3d gives me a full-SBS file, but when I play it back under MrMC, I think it's halving the X-resolution to make it fit on screen.

The projector is clearly capable of doing 1920x1200 to each eye (it does it for 3d blurays played from the PS4 for example), and the Amazon Fire TV clearly has enough grunt for it (it's only half the number of pixels that a 4K movie would be), but there may be hardware limitations in there that I don't understand.

Any hints gratefully received, even if it's just to say authoratatively "this can't be done!" Thanks.
robinwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 10:19   #2  |  Link
frank
Banned

MrMC doesn't support 3D Blu-ray, look at their web site.
The MVC 3D mkv format generated by MakeMKV is not an industrie standard, the dependent view is embedded in specific NAL units with extended SEI messages.
Only few players support the 3D feature: PotPlayer, Kodi, PowerDVD 17...
Others only decode the basic 2D stream.

Last edited by frank; 4th November 2018 at 11:05.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 01:15   #3  |  Link
robinwatts

MrMC is a Kodi fork, so if Kodi supports it...

It certainly *will* play 3d stuff, just nothing better than half-SBS that I can find.
robinwatts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon fire tv, bd3d2mk3d, mrmc