Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 5th May 2008, 09:26   #1  |  Link
angusmann

Video stutter when playing in full screen mode

Hi all. I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I'm running Vista Media Centre, with an NVIDIA 8400 card at 1360*768, 60Hz.
Using the latest NVIDIA drivers and ffdshow, downloaded early May, 2008.

When playing AVI's in full-screen mode, the video is very choppy. It freezes for a second or 2, stutters and then drops frames to catch up.

Playing the same video in window mode it looks just fine, even if the window is enlarged to fill the whole screen.

Strangely - if the video is playing in full screen mode (hence looks awful) and I use alt-tab to bring an ordinary window into focus over the top of the video, it plays fine. As soon as Vista Media Centre regains focus the playback is faulty again.

Any ideas where to start?

I tried replacing the video card with a 8500GT series - same problem, and changing to a different resolution makes no difference. I can't change the refresh rate - 60Hz is the only one available to me.
angusmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 18:24   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Have you tried turning off "Hardware acceleration"?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 14:18   #3  |  Link
coordz

I've had this problem as well with frames 'ripping' as thought screen isn't updated fast enough. This occurred with AVIs compressed with Xvid, x264, uncompressed BMP AVIs and quicktime MOV files. I'm using media player classic with 8800GTX 1920 x 1200 @ 60hz. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it only happens occasionally with some files and I've never investigated what to do to fix it other than play the file windowed. I've always put it down to a driver bug/hardware issue and am waiting patiently for nVidia to sort it out.
coordz is offline   Reply With Quote