Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th January 2019, 09:50   #54121  |  Link
madjock

Agreed on dialling back the chroma.

But just having a play this morning, and if I do set chroma to bilinear, and enable the HDR options in trade for performance, I get a slideshow in either D3D11 Fullscreen Exclusive or Fullscreen windowed and D3D9.

But if I come out of fullscreen exclusive or fullscreen windowed to just windowed it drops from the hundreds down to 21 ms ish ?

Does this make sense ?, should going from windowed to fullscreen exclusive or fullscreen windowed make that big a difference ?

I am using nVidia drivers 416.34.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 09:53   #54122  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
The MINIMUM card I'm going to get for an upgrade is a 2070 at this point.
Right now you'd be be better served by a 1080/Ti for madVR mostly due to the premium of the unused (for madVR) Tensor cores, otherwise if using it for gaming as well RTX makes some sense.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 09:57   #54123  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Right now you'd be be better served by a 1080/Ti for madVR mostly due to the premium of the unused (for madVR) Tensor cores, otherwise if using it for gaming as well RTX makes some sense.
You can't exactly buy a 1080/Ti anymore (at least around here), other then super expensive or used. And some people like their warranty.

New 2070s are cheaper then new 1080s here, nevermind 1080 Tis (in which case 2080s are also cheaper).
Old 7th January 2019, 12:08   #54124  |  Link
madjock

Just for clarification guys, and maybe to stop me pulling any more hair out.

If I use HDR tone mapping but have to select all the Trade for performance options to on, is this still better than allowing HDR passtrough ?
Old 7th January 2019, 12:31   #54125  |  Link
ryrynz

Personally I'd wait until the new release before evaluating this for yourself.. My guess would be yes, but it's going to depend entirely on your manufacturer's tone mapping for that particular model/firmware.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 12:45   #54126  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
If I use HDR tone mapping but have to select all the Trade for performance options to on, is this still better than allowing HDR passtrough ?
Quote:
My guess would be yes
Definitely not, although I haven't seen your TV. Use passthrough then.
Old 7th January 2019, 12:56   #54127  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Definitely not, although I haven't seen your TV. Use passthrough then.
It is nothing fancy at all
https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/65PUS6...ilight-3-sided

I did think I would be limited with chroma, but was a little naive about how much the tone mapping would hammer my 1050 GTX, it was a case of I could get better chroma settings and use passthrough, but was unsure what I would achieve by disabling the trade options comparable to passthrough, as it classed it as dumb on the OSD when you do this with the options ticked, and that used to be options in older madVRs.
Old 7th January 2019, 14:54   #54128  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMU View Post
FSE (greate picture)
FSW (dark picture)
TV (Samsung UE40NU7100) goes into the HDR mode in both cases.
It looks you are getting a different tone curve depending on whether you are using windowed or exclusive. I'm guessing madVR is sending the same values either way and either the GPU driver or display is misinterpreting something. Maybe the metadata isn't getting through correctly. I don't know how to correct it.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 14:57   #54129  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
I was thinking of going down the Windows 8.1 route, but that is a bit of a step back in some respects, and unsure what I would gain.

My problem just now is a new 4K TV, and working with only a 2GB 1050 card, I am messing about with either just Passthrough, or using the Shaders option with most of it disabled, so don't think I am gaining anything with it.

What does confuse things is the more I mess with things, the less I understand whether that be DX9/DX11/FSE and the likes now I am messing with HDR, as I think I have things sussed out but then I can try another 4K file and things change and I may get dropped frames, or skipping with nothing really changing apart from seeing the Qs suddenly dropping off then back up again when I am within the target of ms.

So I mess with things again, and out of nowhere I may get an issue again, so it is hard to know what is the best setting or what to do or not do at this point.

So right now I am using madVR as an HDR switch as such as I dont have the right amount of spare capacity in the card I have at the moment.
You should download GPU-Z and check your VRAM usage during playback. You only have 2GB to work with, which isn't a lot for 4K UHD content. At 1080p, I am using 2.5GB of VRAM with 4K content with a few settings enabled.

Network latency could also be an issue if the queues suddenly drop when playing certain files. Check to see if the video bitrate is higher with these files.
Old 7th January 2019, 15:00   #54130  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Just for clarification guys, and maybe to stop me pulling any more hair out.

You would have to test it. madVR should do a fine job of tone mapping. However, you risk double processing if the display also tone maps the result provided by madVR. I'd start with a target nits above your display brightness and work your way down as a test. Find some really bright scenes using the OSD as a reference for scene brightness and test with passthrough enabled and disabled.

Pixel shaders might be a bad idea with the limited amount of VRAM you have.
Old 7th January 2019, 15:41   #54131  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
You would have to test it.
All valid points in the last two replys.

I guess I may just bite the bullet and go for passthrough as to be quite honest I don't even know what to look for, have no idea what my peak nits would actually be.

I think now I actually have a 4K TV now, the miriad of options for setting up HDR settings/contrast and colour, unlike setting up to maybe get a comparable ISF setting by reading reviews, there is very little on what HDR should actually look like.

I have been following your now updated guide which is very informative, the hard part is a lot of it boils down to what we like to see on our screens, and HDR/4K is still so new to me I do not know what is actually good or bad, I have long since stopped understanding the BETA builds and the testing of madVR for HDR, and maybe I just need to let it go and go passthrough as stated before.
Old 7th January 2019, 15:42   #54132  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You can't exactly buy a 1080/Ti anymore (at least around here), other then super expensive or used. And some people like their warranty.

New 2070s are cheaper then new 1080s here, nevermind 1080 Tis (in which case 2080s are also cheaper).
Exactly what Nev said. Not to mention those tensor cores COULD have some usefulness in the future. And yes, I would use it for gaming, as well. Completely moot point right now anyway as I don't have the money but it's on the top of the list when I do.
Old 7th January 2019, 15:44   #54133  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
It is nothing fancy at all
https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/65PUS6...ilight-3-sided

I did think I would be limited with chroma, but was a little naive about how much the tone mapping would hammer my 1050 GTX, it was a case of I could get better chroma settings and use passthrough, but was unsure what I would achieve by disabling the trade options comparable to passthrough, as it classed it as dumb on the OSD when you do this with the options ticked, and that used to be options in older madVRs.
IMO you're better off with passthrough if you enable dumb tonemapping in the trade performance options.
Old 7th January 2019, 16:22   #54134  |  Link
zapatista

Hi Madshi,

thank you for your great program, it really improves the video quality on my 1080p display compared to other pc video players, or when using a stand alone bluray player (assuming the source video file is of good quality)

Q1) is there a way i can set my display max nits in madvr ?

i am using madvr on my win 8.1 pc to play some 4k hevc h265 rec2020 video files, which i output over hdmi to my 1080 display (which is accepting 1080p 12 bit 4.4.4 RGB full) .
in madvr settings i am using DXVA2 for down-scaling wich gives me a gpu load of 72% and uses 90% of my 3gb vram (the other custom pixel shader settings like SSIM cause a significant rate of frames being dropped and i get micro stutters)

some of the 4k video files are HDR (which i know is not part of the SDR specs), but my 1080 tv display has a spec of 380 nits (compared to most older 1080 displays only going up to 150 nits usually)

i know that some of the higher end stand alone 4k bluray players (like the samsung or panasonic) allow you to select a max nits setting when outputting the 4k HDR video to 1080 (for ex on the samsung player i would have been able to set it to 350 or 400 nits iirc)

can i similarly set a max nits setting in madvr for my 1080p downconversion output ? (i remember discussion about this taking place in the madvr forum, but cant find the settings)

note: i am aware most HDR movies can range from 500 to 1000 nits (or even higher w dolby vision ?), but my display relatively low 350 nits ability would be nice to be able to use for higher luminance detail available from some of these HDR source files

Q2) is there a simple way i can save my preferred presets for different resolution video files that i might be playing ? (eg 720p, 1080p, 2160 4k files etc)
- for my pc hardware i can use higher quality settings for 720p and 1080p files, but for 4k files i can only just play them and have to dial several settings down

Q3) when playing 4k files (with my limited settings ) my GPU reports 72 or 75% GPU load, and 93 % vram used for ex, but my i7 cpu is only at 20 or 25% load.
- is there a way i can offload some of the video tasks more to the CPU and then be able to enhance other settings in madvr that are GPU load dependent ?
i have tried different "video decoder" selections in mpc-hc, but it doesnt seem to alter this (am using dxva2-copyback as this was suggested by you in an earlier setup guide iirc)

pc specs: win 8.1 (64 bit) w most recent video drivers and updates, i7 4770k, 32 gb ram, 1060 3gb GPU
using mpc-hc 6.3 with madvr latest version
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 16:27   #54135  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
IMO you're better off with passthrough if you enable dumb tonemapping in the trade performance options.
Yes I think I have to really.

One more thing and I am unsure if there is an issue with madVR and my TV. The one easy thing I seem to have is NV HDR is ativated quite easily, which is a blessing on having read back over multiple threads on it not for some people due to drivers et al.

But if I select the OSD for the TV once activated, sometimes it says BT 2020 and SMTPE 2084, but mostly only if I change a setting in the settings side of the TV. The majority of the time it will say RGB for colour space and 2160p24, but sometimes it will say 2160p24SMTPE 2084 for video and BT.2020 for colour space.

it looks to be getting the right information from looking at the madVR OSD, so is this an issue with my TV not being very clever and I can just ignore it, or do I need to mess with drivers to get this correct information.
Old 7th January 2019, 16:33   #54136  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
Hi Madshi,
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...942#pid2238942

Have a look at this guide for the presets, under profiles.

Also the target peak nits under HDR, but would assume you have seen this ?

Last edited by madjock; 7th January 2019 at 16:49.
Old 7th January 2019, 16:34   #54137  |  Link
border.community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
If you use the display mode switcher in MPC-HC, you can add an audio delay that only applies to 23-24 Hz.
Thanks Warner, that's what I ended up doing in LAV settings. For some reason I thought a perfect custom timing in madvr would naturally fix that delay.
border.community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 17:53   #54138  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Yes I think I have to really.

One more thing and I am unsure if there is an issue with madVR and my TV. The one easy thing I seem to have is NV HDR is ativated quite easily, which is a blessing on having read back over multiple threads on it not for some people due to drivers et al.

But if I select the OSD for the TV once activated, sometimes it says BT 2020 and SMTPE 2084, but mostly only if I change a setting in the settings side of the TV. The majority of the time it will say RGB for colour space and 2160p24, but sometimes it will say 2160p24SMTPE 2084 for video and BT.2020 for colour space.

it looks to be getting the right information from looking at the madVR OSD, so is this an issue with my TV not being very clever and I can just ignore it, or do I need to mess with drivers to get this correct information.
Couldn't tell you on that one. For HDR content, it should be BT.2020 unless you have madvr tonemap and convert it to rec.709. But if you're doing passthrough, it should be showing at BT.2020. RGB is what madvr will output to. I don't know how you have your GPU driver set, but, it should also be set to RGB, as well, to avoid unnecessary conversions.
Old 7th January 2019, 19:51   #54139  |  Link
Damien147

Which one of these three gpu load readings I can trust?Gpuz gpu load goes up and down as you see and the other two are stable.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 19:58   #54140  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
I was thinking of going down the Windows 8.1 route, but that is a bit of a step back in some respects, and unsure what I would gain.
Performance wise, nothing.
Quote:
My problem just now is a new 4K TV, and working with only a 2GB 1050 card
The only way to achieve some kind of smooth playback with 4K and 2 GB VRAM is to lower the render and present queues until you're below the VRAM limit. Try something like present queue 3 or 4, render queue 5 or 6. If you're using DXVA/D3D11 native mode for the decoder, also lower the decoding queue to 7 or 8, as those modes use more VRAM too.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling