Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 13th April 2021, 19:40   #24421  |  Link
clsid

MPC-BE Menu > Play > Filters

It is probably using "File Source (URL)", which may be caching the whole file before playback starts.

You can edit this registry key to change the source filter:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp
LAV = {B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2021, 04:56   #24422  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
MPC-BE Menu > Play > Filters

It is probably using "File Source (URL)", which may be caching the whole file before playback starts.

You can edit this registry key to change the source filter:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp
LAV = {B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}
MPC-BE 1.5.7.6005

Filters currently loaded:
- Default DirectSound Device
- XySubFilter (=> madVR)
- madVR Renderer
- Audio Switcher
- LAV Video Decoder
- LAV Audio Decoder
- LAV Splitter Source

I tried updating FTP Source Filter value data in the registry as suggested, but still takes 20 seconds to start playing a video.

Last edited by *MidnightWatcher*; 14th April 2021 at 05:16.
*MidnightWatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2021, 11:23   #24423  |  Link
biship

For me playing files from my Synology NAS it takes 5-7s before the video starts, and oddly, the screen is also blank for the first 5s of the video. I can hear the audio. All MKVs.
Old 14th April 2021, 14:28   #24424  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by biship View Post
For me playing files from my Synology NAS it takes 5-7s before the video starts, and oddly, the screen is also blank for the first 5s of the video. I can hear the audio. All MKVs.
It takes 5-7 second before playing, plus another 5 seconds for the video to be displayed? Curious -- is your connection "fast ethernet" (10/100) or gigabit (10/100/1000)? The blanking sounds like your display is adjusting to the frame/refresh rate. My JVC projector takes about 6 seconds, which is normal.

Last edited by *MidnightWatcher*; 14th April 2021 at 18:55.
*MidnightWatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2021, 22:02   #24425  |  Link
clsid

@nevcairiel
I am debugging a hang in m_pDXVA2Allocator->GetBuffer()
The free list is empty/null and m_lCount=m_lAllocated=23

I assume that this situation of all buffers being in use should not happen under normal conditions?
This problem occurred for a user with heavy GPU usage by Firefox. Could it be that a buffer is not freed (or re-used) when a failure occurs somewhere in the DXVA2 code (of FFmpeg)?
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 17:06   #24426  |  Link
VictorLS

Here's fp3.mkv (9 MB) https://TransFiles.ru/2t9vj well visible colorshift issue but this time it isn't decoder's problem because it's progressive so it's not mine reencoding issue.
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 19:24   #24427  |  Link
huhn

this file has a really low quality so what has this todo with lavfilter?
this should be a simple chroma luma channel mismatch by 1 frame.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 21:55   #24428  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
this file has a really low quality so what has this todo with lavfilter?
With LAVFilters-0.75.0-2 YADIF still doesn't work on Formula1.2019.Round06.Monaco.Race.Sat.Feed.1080i.H264.Multi.Language_fromMKVtsMuxerNotHDMVcompatible.ts to solve colorshift issue on such 4:2:2 SAT feeds on every videocard
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
this should be a simple chroma luma channel mismatch by 1 frame.
Seems you're right - each frame from two serial frames.

Last edited by VictorLS; 19th April 2021 at 19:10.
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 03:07   #24429  |  Link
brazen1

When I bitstream any audio format (incl DTS) with my AVR on, all is well and the AVR displays the correct format is decoding.
When I turn my AVR off I get down converted stereo audio through my 2 panel speakers and all is well.

However, DTS and DTS HD do not produce any audio with the AVR off using MPC-HC/BE which use LAV Filters.
I am able to play DTS audio with the AVR off when I use the Kodi internal VideoPlayer. Same with other players such as PowerDVD and DVDFab Media Player. Of course it's in 2chl which is fine.

I notice if I unselect DTS bitstreaming in the LAV Audio Configuration settings, both MPC players produce DTS audio (2chl) just like other players when the AVR is off.
This leads me to believe I have a problem with LAV Filters exclusively and I'm seeking help.
I'm using 0.75.0. I tried 0.71.0 and they had the same behavior.
I don't think the fix for me is to manually enable/disable DTS bitstreaming per AVR on/off state is it?
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 04:04   #24430  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
When I bitstream any audio format (incl DTS) with my AVR on, all is well and the AVR displays the correct format is decoding.
When I turn my AVR off I get down converted stereo audio through my 2 panel speakers and all is well.

However, DTS and DTS HD do not produce any audio with the AVR off using MPC-HC/BE which use LAV Filters.
I am able to play DTS audio with the AVR off when I use the Kodi internal VideoPlayer. Same with other players such as PowerDVD and DVDFab Media Player. Of course it's in 2chl which is fine.

I notice if I unselect DTS bitstreaming in the LAV Audio Configuration settings, both MPC players produce DTS audio (2chl) just like other players when the AVR is off.
This leads me to believe I have a problem with LAV Filters exclusively and I'm seeking help.
I'm using 0.75.0. I tried 0.71.0 and they had the same behavior.
I don't think the fix for me is to manually enable/disable DTS bitstreaming per AVR on/off state is it?
Try internal MPC-BE audio decoder.
Old 22nd April 2021, 05:38   #24431  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
Try internal MPC-BE audio decoder.
I changed to MPC audio renderer from DirectSound default and vice versa using MPC-BE. I unchecked LAV Audio Decoder. I ticked DTS for Internal Audio Decoder. I restarted title. No change.

I did the same with MPC-HC. No change. I unticked Allow bitstreaming and of course it worked since it's similar to turning off DTS in LAV audio. I can't find a similar Allow bitstreaming in MPC-BE but I want to bitstream when my AVR is on anyway understanding this is just a test.

Does this confirm that since internal decoder and external LAV decoder produce the same negative result, that something else is the root of my problem? Windows or NVidia HDAudio driver - except Kodi, PDVD, FAB players do work. Both MPC players? Maybe it's just exclusive to my system - I'm lucky like that Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 22nd April 2021, 07:35   #24432  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

MPC-BE audio decoder have options "Pass-through (S/PDIF, HDMI)".
Old 22nd April 2021, 12:56   #24433  |  Link
el Filou

What could be happening is that Windows caches the EDID information from the AVR stating that the HDMI sink supports DTS and your TV doesn't supports DTS but the info is not updated when the AVR is turned off. I don't know if that would be a Windows problem or an HDMI audio driver problem.
(Edit: maybe the other players distinguish between sink devices using the device name? Does the device change depending on whether your AVR is on or off?)

Does it also happens when you cold boot Windows with the AVR off?

Last edited by el Filou; 22nd April 2021 at 13:48.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 16:15   #24434  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
MPC-BE audio decoder have options "Pass-through (S/PDIF, HDMI)".
Yes, I know and they are all ticked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
What could be happening is that Windows caches the EDID information from the AVR stating that the HDMI sink supports DTS and your TV doesn't supports DTS but the info is not updated when the AVR is turned off. I don't know if that would be a Windows problem or an HDMI audio driver problem.
(Edit: maybe the other players distinguish between sink devices using the device name? Does the device change depending on whether your AVR is on or off?)

Does it also happens when you cold boot Windows with the AVR off?
You are correct. My panel does not support DTS but shouldn't something in the chain down convert to PCM or something the panel speakers can handle? It doesn't support ATMOS either but I get audio? Cold boot with AVR off makes no difference.

I don't know how to check possible device name change dependent on AVR state?
Old 22nd April 2021, 17:24   #24435  |  Link
el Filou

Normally, LAV's "Fallback to PCM if Bitstreaming is not supported" should take care of that, but maybe something is giving it a wrong information on whether DTS is supported?

I have no idea how to check if the device is identified differently, I don't use passthrough or ARC with my AVR, maybe someone else knows? But there must be a way for those other playback apps to accurately determine that DTS isn't supported while LAV decoder fails.

Maybe try this utility: https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm and compare what's displayed in the real-time and registry pages.
Old 25th April 2021, 20:41   #24436  |  Link
Tsukinyan

I've done a bunch of searching of a few different threads on this forum and I think I understand the difference between "Normalize Matrix" and "Clipping Protection", but I'm not 100% confident. I'm hoping someone can correct me or verify my thoughts below.

- Normalize Matrix = lowers the level of the entire audio stream across all channels to make sure no levels go above 1.00. Thus the distance between the lowest level and the highest level would be preserved. In practice, the volume difference between a character whispering in one scene and an explosion in a different scene would be the same with normalize matrix on or off.

- Clipping Protection = if a stream were to go above 1.00, instead play it at 1.00. Thus if the lowest level was 0.09 and the highest was 1.04 (difference of 0.95), clipping protection would make the highest 1.00 and the difference between lowest and highest level would be 0.91. In practice, the volume difference between a character whispering in one scene and an explosion in a different scene would be different with clipping protection on or off.

I'm making up numbers in those explanations, but I'm mostly trying to convey the theory behind the settings and not give realistic examples. That said, if my explanation of Clipping Protection is correct, would this volume difference actually be noticeable? I mostly watch at my desktop using high-end headphones connected to a fairly powerful AMP, so it's less important to me if the overall volume is lowered slightly. But it would bother me if I knew the difference between peak lows and highs was being modified (even if I couldn't notice it).
Tsukinyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2021, 07:21   #24437  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Normalize won't certainly reduce the volume (that usually happens only during a downmix of multi-channel audio to stereo, with or without Dolby ProLogic surround matrix, where a weighted sum of more than 2 channels may exceed 100% volume). It may as well rise it in case the peak of the source is below the target maximum (which you may set below 100%; rising volume is probable for stereo audio without dynamic compression). In general, normalization needs a look-ahead to discover the peak. For offline processing it may be the entire audio. In a real-time filter it may be a sliding window being pre-decoded before playing, but with a limited range, which may cause alternating loudness.

I am not sure which kind of implementation LAV Filters uses for Clipping Protection; I guess it is a kind of dynamic compression. There may be a simple filter which "flattens the peaks" per sample, or a more elaborate filter which dynamically reduces the volume of short audio blocks... "dynamic" is about what you mean as difference between levels, but there are standards to calculate it in decibels.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 26th April 2021 at 07:27.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2021, 22:40   #24438  |  Link
Asmodian

I think normalize matrix is very different from a normal normalize.

Normalize matrix is simply changing the weights of a downmix matrix so it is impossible for the downmix to go over 100% in any channel, isn't it? This is always quieter, but will never clip.

Clipping protection doesn't care what the lowest level is at all, it simply lowers the total volume to prevent clipping anytime the volume goes too high. This has the somewhat odd effect of causing the average volume level to be lower after a loud noise that would have clipped at the previous level. It is like a single pass normalize that decrease the total volume only of all audio past each loudest peak. So if there was a pretty loud noise 15min into a video, it might lower the gain to 0.96, but if later there was an even louder noise it might lower the gain again, e.g. from 0.96 to 0.87.

Dynamic range compression is entirely separate, both of these options do not do any range compression themselves and are only adjusting a global volume gain.

Last edited by Asmodian; 26th April 2021 at 22:44.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2021, 07:30   #24439  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Normalize matrix is simply changing the weights of a downmix matrix so it is impossible for the downmix to go over 100% in any channel, isn't it? This is always quieter, but will never clip.
I would agree.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2021, 08:17   #24440  |  Link
mogli

IIRC clipping protection just uses a limiter, i.e. goes down if the volume is too high but quickly goes back to full volume afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Clipping protection doesn't care what the lowest level is at all, it simply lowers the total volume to prevent clipping anytime the volume goes too high. This has the somewhat odd effect of causing the average volume level to be lower after a loud noise that would have clipped at the previous level. It is like a single pass normalize that decrease the total volume only of all audio past each loudest peak. So if there was a pretty loud noise 15min into a video, it might lower the gain to 0.96, but if later there was an even louder noise it might lower the gain again, e.g. from 0.96 to 0.87.
Why would anyone do that? One would eventually end up with the same volume as matrix normalization for most movies but could hear how the volume goes down over the playing time. No benefit at all but very annoying.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter