Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 29th May 2018, 09:02   #21  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Can you attach here a x64 version to try?
It is part of vd2 package, here is sample I already inserted once in gammac thread http://virtualdub2.com/data/fish_balance6.webm
The filter name is "6-axis color correction" but I use it from "Master blend" filter to have interactive histograms at the same time.

Btw your photoshop result looks good to me, I don't think I could do any better. But I can't download your video, just get tons of ads.
Old 29th May 2018, 14:40   #22  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Btw your photoshop result looks good to me, I don't think I could do any better. But I can't download your video, just get tons of ads.
Tells me where to put it and I will.
Old 29th May 2018, 16:48   #23  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
To quote other programs, please suggest me something free or cheap with a good interface and output control. Premiere is not cheap
DaVinci Resolve (free version):

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/...avinciresolve/

Download links at bottom of that webpage. That's for the most recent beta (4) release of DR 15. I'd go with the last official (stable) release of DR 14.3 which can be downloaded from the BMD Support page - scroll down 'Latest Downloads' on the left:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/...lve-and-fusion

More than adequate pro-level color toolset for the job...well, the 'best outcome' in this case anyway.

I don't have personal experience color correcting/grading underwater video, but my two cents on this:

1. +1 on everything Poisondeathray said above.

2. Naturally, the primary 'focus of attention' is the 'anemone fish' (? Clown Fish), and to a lesser degree the foreground anemone bed it's frolicking in. So that should be the focus of color correction.

Not at my editing/grading PC just now but If I were to go at it with Resolve, I'd likely look at applying a series of HSL Qualifiers (color key/mask).

* First zoom in and pull a qualifier (as best) on the colored fins of the fish (taking multiple samples from different frames) and use the Color Wheels (master Offset primarily) to get as close as possible to the expected tint of orange.

* Create an 'Outside Node' from that (i.e. 'inverse mask' of the fish fins = everything else) and do the same again on the anemone (?) tentacles...likely more tricky to change that 'aquamarine' tint to a warmer palish pastel. Then either turn off the key on the anemone and live with whatever color change that manipulation has had on the background, or else create another Outside Node from that and work on the 'background' separately i.e. all but the fish fins and anemone tentacles. Depends on how well the tentacles can be isolated.

* Could also try tinting with a solid warm color (Layer Mode with Composite Blend set for 'Color') or as an External Matte, but I'm not optimistic it would achieve much other than 'muddying the waters'. Total color replacement would be very difficult to pull off.

I doubt very much that you'd be able to set a white balance sampling off the (assumed) white stripes on the fish. Of course you'd also need to play around with 'exposure' levels, contrast and saturation, globally and/or on the qualifiers, maybe adding at little 'mid-tone detail' (local contrast) on the fish/anemone or sharpening to taste (denoising only available in the paid Studio version). But that's the basic strategy I think I would try. If it achieves something close to acceptable, you could then think about more refined techniques - tracking the fish (or whatever) with qualified 'power windows' and applying subtle color changes with soft key points, but it hardly seems worth it in this case.

Quote:
Btw your photoshop result looks good to me, I don't think I could do any better.
I'd tend to agree with Poisondeathray. OK, it achieves better rendition of the fish coloring (as assumed) and takes that aquamarine tint off the foreground anenome clump, but the effect it has on the background - that washed out pinkish tone on sea bed especially - looks unnatural and is distracting.

Last edited by WorBry; 30th May 2018 at 05:28.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 02:07   #24  |  Link
WorBry

Quick stab at it with Resolve using the above strategy. Not sure what color the anemone in the foreground is supposed to be; as predicted, it proved difficult to swing it away from that aquamarine tinge completely.

Same again with a final light 'warm wash':

Maybe not accurate, but adds a bit more color contrast.

And just for kicks, with a little 'pseudo HDR' enhancement:

Well, maybe not.

Last edited by WorBry; 30th May 2018 at 06:12.
Old 30th May 2018, 09:07   #25  |  Link
shekh

Turns out after 5 garbage links it allowed to download.

This is how I like it:

shekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 13:54   #26  |  Link
WorBry

I'm thinking that's one of my images with some further levels/color adjustment, right ? Or was it using another method?

If mine, yes, I'd agree they are a tad on the dark side. Referencing the Histograms when I was doing it last night I was tempted to up the Gain, but they seemed OK to the eye. This morning, under natural lighting, they definitely look too murky. Such is the nature of color grading.

Last edited by WorBry; 30th May 2018 at 14:13.
Old 30th May 2018, 14:06   #27  |  Link
shekh

No, I took similar frame from original video and adjusted in vd. Brightness maybe, but also mine is closer to gray. I don't like dominant greenish tint
Old 30th May 2018, 14:19   #28  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Q), what depth was the clip taken at ?

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 14:45   #29  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
I don't like dominant greenish tint
I agree. Makes it a bit too mirky. I'll maybe have another go at it when I have some time.

As Stainless intimates though, depends somewhat on the depth.....not that I'm in any way an expert on sub-aqua color temperatures Used to dive a fair bit in my formative (single) years, but had no interest in videography/photography at that time.

Last edited by WorBry; 30th May 2018 at 15:10.
Old 30th May 2018, 15:06   #30  |  Link
shekh

Now if someone can enhance it, we have diving computer in this shot
IMO around 15..20m
Old 30th May 2018, 19:23   #31  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Q), what depth was the clip taken at ?
Don't tickle my crazy mind. I was about thinking to request a plugin that takes csv as input (time-depth) and invert curve of water color absorption based on depth. Such as Paralenz does indeed.

It would have a GREAT impact on all the diving cam users.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, it was at 15-20 meters. If you want precise value, I can get from diving computer.
Old 3rd June 2018, 04:48   #32  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
... I don't like dominant greenish tint
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
I agree. Makes it a bit too mirky. I'll maybe have another go at it when I have some time.
Another crack at it:

Edit: Noticed feint magenta tinge to the blues after posting. This one, a bit less:

Couldn't get a decent result using the previous 'sequential qualifier' strategy in Resolve. So opted for reconstructing the red channel (as best) with the RGB Channel mixer. Then just one qualifier to deal with some vibrant magenta coloration on the tips/edges of the anemone tentacles that stood out, followed by fine tweaking and levels/contrast adjustment with the primary color wheels, and a pinch of local contrast ('mid-tone detail'). Didn't mess with global Saturation too much as it only brought back the blue cast.

Better, surely....maybe, bearing in mind that I don't know what color the anemone is supposed to be ? Tormento did mention though that the fish is orange (the fins):

Quote:
...the two band variant is orange.
I guess that would make it the fabled 'Orange-Fin Anenome Fish'

Anyway, best I could come up with. Interesting exercise though.

Did you arrive at a workable solution Tormento ?

Last edited by WorBry; 3rd June 2018 at 05:23.
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:02   #33  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Did you arrive at a workable solution Tormento ?
Not an automatic or simply standardized one. Every video has its own color lack problems. Paralenz algorithm is cunny indeed. It could be nice to have that reverse water color absorption formula and use diving computer log to apply it.
Old 3rd June 2018, 14:04   #34  |  Link
lansing

A google search shows that the fish should be yellow, not orange
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 14:13   #35  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
A google search shows that the fish should be yellow, not orange
Some Orange ones here (as well as Yellow):- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Or...w=1280&bih=874

(Of course we dont know what was done to those images, but given the name [Orange-Fin Anenome Fish], they might well be often Orange)

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd June 2018 at 14:15.
Old 3rd June 2018, 17:05   #36  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Some Orange ones here (as well as Yellow):- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Or...w=1280&bih=874

(Of course we dont know what was done to those images, but given the name [Orange-Fin Anenome Fish], they might well be often Orange)
I really don't know guy's - I only surmised that it must an 'Orange-Fin Anenome Fish' after a web search for anenome fish with two stripes and orange fin coloration, and it appeared to fit the bill.

In my previous attempt at correcting it with Resolve, I put a qualifier key on the fish fins, deliberately pushed the color to orange and preserved it. In this last effort that was just the way the fin color turned out after all the channel mixing and secondary manipulation to achieve best possible overall balance and taking the white stripes on the fish as reference - which was about all there was to go on.

Whether the resulting orange tone is close to 'actual' or not, I guess only Tormento is in a position to judge in this case. Obviously if 'too orange' it's just a matter of qualifying the orange fins and moving to a more yellowish tint.

Last edited by WorBry; 3rd June 2018 at 17:28.
Old 3rd June 2018, 17:07   #37  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
It could be nice to have that reverse water color absorption formula and use diving computer log to apply it.
Presumably absorption would be based on depth of viewed object, and distance to camera from it (something like depth*depM+dist*distM).

Perhaps some large white object fixed at some depth eg 10m, and something tracking distance from the object up to say 100 m.
Repeat every 10m depth (up to 10,994 meters, the Mariana Trench would do nicely).

EDIT:
Quote:
I only surmised
Arh, so its not called the Orange-fin thingy.

EDIT:
Quote:
Noticed feint magenta tinge to the blues after posting. This one, a bit less:
I rather liked that one, nice.

EDIT: This gets some hits: "red spectrum absorption of sea water":- https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...ient=firefox-b

EDIT:
http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/La-...the-Ocean.html

Quote:
Light Penetration.

A certain amount of incoming light is reflected away when it reaches the ocean surface, depending upon the state of the water itself. If it is calm and smooth, less light will be reflected.

If it is turbulent, with many waves, more light will be reflected. The light that penetrates the surface is refracted due to the fact that light travels faster in air than in water. Once it is within the water, light may be scattered or absorbed by solid particles. Most of the visible light spectrum is absorbed within 10 meters (33 feet) of the water's surface, and almost none penetrates below 150 meters (490 feet) of water depth, even when the water is very clear.

Quote:
Light Spectrum.

Water selectively scatters and absorbs certain wavelengths of visible light. The long wavelengths of the light spectrum—red, yellow, and orange—can penetrate to approximately 15, 30, and 50 meters (49, 98, and 164 feet), respectively, while the short wavelengths of the light spectrum—violet, blue and green—can penetrate further, to the lower limits of the euphotic zone. Blue penetrates the deepest, which is why deep, clear ocean water and some tropical water appear to be blue most of the time. Moreover, clearer waters have fewer particles to affect the transmission of light, and scattering by the water itself controls color. Water in shallow coastal areas tends to contain a greater amount of particles that scatter or absorb light wavelengths differently, which is why sea water close to shore may appear more green or brown in color.
Quote:
MEASURING LIGHT TRANSMISSION

Scientists have developed several different methods and instruments to measure light transmission in water. The simplest measurement method involves the use of the Secchi disk, a white plate about 30 centimeters (12 inches) in diameter. It is fastened horizontally to a rope marked in meters. The disk is then lowered into the sea, lake, or other waterbody. The depth at which the disk is lost to sight is noted using the rope markings. This provides a rough estimate of the depth of light penetration.

A more sophisticated device for measuring light transmission is the nephelometer, which measures the scattering of incident (incoming) light by particles in the water. The optical backscatter meter and light scattering meter work in a similar fashion by projecting a light beam into the water. A detector on the instrument measures the amount of light that is scattered back into it.

The transmissometer measures light attenuation, or the sum of scattering and absorption of light in sea water. It projects a beam of light of a known wavelength over a known distance, and the data may be used to calculate the percentage of light that is transmitted at a certain depth.

The a-c meter has separate sensors to detect absorption of light by particles and total light attenuation. It functions in a manner like that of a transmissometer.

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd June 2018 at 17:35.
Old 3rd June 2018, 18:04   #38  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:

Arh, so its not called the Orange-fin thingy.
Dunno, it might be that one. There again, I'm not a marine ichthyology taxonomist (I had to look that one up )

Quote:
Edit: Noticed feint magenta tinge to the blues after posting. This one, a bit less:
Quote:
I rather liked that one, nice.
It was actually closer to neutral WB taking the white fish stripes as reference. That said a lot depends on the initial channel mixing and how close to neutral can be achieved with that in the first instance. Very twitchy fine tuning - slightest nudge to the channel values and it's of whack.

Incidentally, I created a 3D Cube LUT from the graded clip using Resolve's internal LUT creator. Reapplying it to the original clip though, the grade did not hold true.

Last edited by WorBry; 3rd June 2018 at 18:25.
Old 3rd June 2018, 18:17   #39  |  Link
lansing

Quote:

Most if not all of them looks yellow to me. And wiki said it is yellow as well.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 19:46   #40  |  Link
WorBry

Better compromise ?

That was using a qualifier key on the orange fins. Actually it proved impossible to get uniform isolation that worked throughout the clip - it would definitely require tracking the fish with a rotoscoped power window and modifying the qualifier at (many) soft key points. A lot of work.

Don't want to back at it, but I don't think I would have been able to turn the fins more yellow using just the channel mixer and primary wheels without fighting a green bias over the rest of the image, which is what I was laboring to avoid.

Shekh seemed to get there though.

Last edited by WorBry; 3rd June 2018 at 19:53.