Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2008, 20:06   #4961  |  Link
Henry The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
wav, mpa, ac3 and dts files only accepted as input???
Old 27th May 2008, 20:55   #4962  |  Link
nautilus7

Select "all files" and load your eac3 file (extension must be .ddp or .eac3)
Old 27th May 2008, 23:31   #4963  |  Link
SoleBastard

inflated flac files

I've been re-encoding some DTS-HD flacs that have been obtained from both blu-ray and HD-DVD with recent versions of eac3to. The original files are the ones that are created directly by eac3to and then them I re-encoded with 'flac 1.2.0a -8' using Foobar2000. The resulting files are usually way smaller (3.7GB -> 1.7GB and 2.0GB -> 1.5GB) while the bitrate and sample depth remains (about) the same. Why does eac3to creates these hugely inflated flac files?
Old 28th May 2008, 03:28   #4964  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoleBastard View Post
sample depth remains (about) the same
Thats probably why. Run both flacs through eac3to and see if they're the same depth or whatever else might have changed.
Old 28th May 2008, 07:06   #4965  |  Link
SoleBastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Thats probably why. Run both flacs through eac3to and see if they're the same depth or whatever else might have changed.
Sorry, I should have been more careful: The bitrate remains about the same (eg 5000 kbps -> 4990 kpbs, probably due to going from 'flac -5' to 'flac -8'), the sample depth remains 24 bit.

Last edited by SoleBastard; 28th May 2008 at 07:22.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:05   #4966  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
is it possible to extract a core from a DD+ track?
Blu-Ray DD+ tracks have a DD core. HD DVD DD+ tracks do not. Blu-Ray DD+ tracks are extremely rare, though. So generally it's safe to say that DD+ tracks do not have a core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanJake View Post
which aften-commandlines are used internally in eac3to for 5.1-AC3-encoding for the different audiostream-types.
None at all. I'm not using aften.exe, I'm using libaften.dll. So no command line, instead I'm calling exported functions from the dll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard99uk View Post
Thanks for everyone's help so far, but I'm still having problems decoding the audio. Here's the log.

Code:
[libav] No restart header present in substream 0.
[a04] The libav decoder reported an error while decoding.
Aborted at file position 12588386304.
Probably your source files are damaged. Please try to rerip them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
I suggest we split the eac3to thread into two separate threads; one for development and related topics and one for general questions. This thread is getting enormous and finding answers by using search is surely difficult if not like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.
If we started now we could easily do that. But how do you want to split this existing thread into two? Who would volunteer to walk through those hundreds of pages and decide which post belongs into which thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joniii View Post
I've got one .ddp track that won't decode to DTS. EAC3TO gives error (this track is not clean...). I've tried DelayCut (selected fix crc errors), I always end up with file that is only about 100 Mb, original is about 1 Gb. Am I doing something wrong or is this file unrepairable?
I suspect that it's not a DD+ track but a DD track. Where did you get the track from? What does eac3to report about this track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Then the Help should read simply "supports all legal AC3 bitrates"!!!
I've changed it to "use e.g. "192", "448" or "640" kbit/s for AC3 encoding" now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaja1 View Post
Got a missing sync byte error in Finding Neverland. What's does that mean? And is there any way to repair or avoid this error?
The best way to repair this error is to rerip the movie.

Quote:
Select "all files" and load your eac3 file (extension must be .ddp or .eac3)
delaycut supports drag&drop. It's oh so much easier than walking through all those file open dialogs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoleBastard View Post
I've been re-encoding some DTS-HD flacs that have been obtained from both blu-ray and HD-DVD with recent versions of eac3to. The original files are the ones that are created directly by eac3to and then them I re-encoded with 'flac 1.2.0a -8' using Foobar2000. The resulting files are usually way smaller (3.7GB -> 1.7GB and 2.0GB -> 1.5GB) while the bitrate and sample depth remains (about) the same. Why does eac3to creates these hugely inflated flac files?
My best guess is that in the Foobar2000 reencoded files the lowest 8 significant bits have been zeroed out. But I don't know for sure. You can do try this:

"eac3to foobar.flac eac3to.flac"

Does the file size go back from 1.7GB to 3.7GB this way? If yes, then I have to check out what's happening. If the file size stays at 1.7GB then Foobar2000 has manipulated the audio data while reencoding it. It would not be a big surprise! Because many of the open source flac decoders only support 16bit decoding. That means if you decode with Foobar2000 you probably lose anything over 16bit. Just guessing here, though...
Old 28th May 2008, 12:51   #4967  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
If we started now we could easily do that. But how do you want to split this existing thread into two? Who would volunteer to walk through those hundreds of pages and decide which post belongs into which thread?
Yes it's a daunting task. We have two options here as I see it: One, we could sift through the several hundred pages in this thread and try to divide them, and two, we could just start a new thread and direct all general questions to it. If we can come up with guidelines for what material would belong to which category I will re read through the entire thread and make a list for the moderators.
Old 28th May 2008, 13:12   #4968  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Yes it's a daunting task. We have two options here as I see it: One, we could sift through the several hundred pages in this thread and try to divide them, and two, we could just start a new thread and direct all general questions to it. If we can come up with guidelines for what material would belong to which category I will re read through the entire thread and make a list for the moderators.
Ok, sounds good. How about:

(1) eac3to - development (bugs and improvements)
(2) eac3to - help (how to use etc)

?
Old 28th May 2008, 13:59   #4969  |  Link
nautilus7

Where would these new threads be? Audio sub-forum isn't ok, i think...

Do you think that New and alternative a/v containers sub forum is the proper one?
Old 28th May 2008, 15:10   #4970  |  Link
Jaja1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaja1
Got a missing sync byte error in Finding Neverland. What's does that mean? And is there any way to repair or avoid this error?
The best way to repair this error is to rerip the movie.
Remuxed the file without problems to ts with tsmuxer. Remuxing the ts to mkv with eac3to worked fine as well. Checking some random points it seems at first sight that the mkv is okay.

Might your error checking be too harsh? Or am I potentially creating trouble using this path?

I tried to convert blu-ray Chicago to mkv and got an
Quote:
Unfortunately the Haali Muxer cannot handle this source file.
It doesn't contain enough seek/recovery points.
error.

Tried the -seektoIFrames option, but that resulted in the same error.
Quote:
eac3to v2.46
command line: eac3to "K:\Chicago [Blu-ray]\Chicago_1.m2ts"+"K:\Chicago [Blu-ray]\Chicago_2.m2ts" 1:d:\Chicago.mkv 2:d:\Chicago.ac3 -seektoIFrames
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M2TS, 1 video track, 5 audio tracks, 1:53:26
1: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
2: RAW/PCM, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
3: AC3, 5.1 channels, 640kbit/s, 48khz
4: AC3, 5.1 channels, 640kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
5: RAW/PCM, 2.0 channels, 16 bits, 48khz
6: AC3, 2.0 channels, 192kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
[v01] Extracting video track number 1...
[a02] Extracting audio track number 2...
[a02] Reading RAW/PCM...
[a02] Swapping endian...
[a02] Remapping channels...
[a02] Encoding AC3...
[v01] Muxing video to Matroska...
[a02] Creating file "d:\Chicago.ac3"...
Unfortunately the Haali Muxer cannot handle this source file.
It doesn't contain enough seek/recovery points.
Aborted at file position 2100903936.
I thought this option was introduced for these kind op errors or am I mistaken?

I made a small sample but eac3to complains that it cannot detect the format of the source file. Might this sample nevertheless be of help?
Old 28th May 2008, 15:45   #4971  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
Ok, sounds good. How about:

(1) eac3to - development (bugs and improvements)
(2) eac3to - help (how to use etc)

?
Sounds good. I think I should be able to do that. Problems will appear for the splitting though when bugs/improvements arise from questions. But I think I can handle it. I'll get on this tonight. The help thread will probably turn out to be a good 80 - 90 % of this current thread. Because of this I think the list I will make will consist of only posts to be moved to the new help thread. I will start the thread with a post and ask the moderators to append it with all of the posts in my list. This thread will then be kept as the development thread. Maybe the title will need to be modified to tell as much.

Sound good?

Quote:

Do you think that New and alternative a/v containers sub forum is the proper one?
Good point. This is along the same line as the topic which was running in this thread a while ago about changing the name of eac3to since it's not just an audio tool any more. The topic is already here so maybe it should stay. I think this is a call that should be made by a moderator. Also if the eac3to threads are moved then the GUI thread will need to be moved too.

Last edited by saint-francis; 28th May 2008 at 15:49.
Old 28th May 2008, 17:15   #4972  |  Link
Jaja1

This blu-ray tracklist contains a small error. The third track is DTS 2t channels.
Attached Images

Old 28th May 2008, 17:42   #4973  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Tried the -seektoIFrames option, but that resulted in the same error.I thought this option was introduced for these kind op errors or am I mistaken?
Each track number (1:, 2:, etc) gets it's own switches. Putting the -seektoIframes switch at the end is applied to track number 2, which is an audio track.

The correct command is:
Code:
eac3to "K:\Chicago [Blu-ray]\Chicago_1.m2ts"+"K:\Chicago [Blu-ray]\Chicago_2.m2ts" 1:d:\Chicago.mkv -seektoIFrames 2:d:\Chicago.ac3

Last edited by nautilus7; 28th May 2008 at 17:45.
Old 28th May 2008, 18:24   #4974  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:

That's a tough decision. eac3to does so many different things. Audio processing is still a very big part of eac3to. To be honest, I don't really know into which sub-forum it really belongs. Maybe we should let the mods decide?

Quote:
Sounds good. I think I should be able to do that. Problems will appear for the splitting though when bugs/improvements arise from questions. But I think I can handle it. I'll get on this tonight. The help thread will probably turn out to be a good 80 - 90 % of this current thread. Because of this I think the list I will make will consist of only posts to be moved to the new help thread. I will start the thread with a post and ask the moderators to append it with all of the posts in my list. This thread will then be kept as the development thread. Maybe the title will need to be modified to tell as much.
I'd suggest to do it the other way round to save the mods some work. Moving 10 - 20% of the posts is much less work than moving 80 - 90% of the posts!

Furthermore I think it would be helpful if both threads had a good introduction post like this thread currently has. So maybe I should start a new thread for development?

Quote:
Remuxed the file without problems to ts with tsmuxer. Remuxing the ts to mkv with eac3to worked fine as well. Checking some random points it seems at first sight that the mkv is okay.

Might your error checking be too harsh?
Nope. A missing sync byte is a very easy and reliable check. If the sync byte is missing, something is really wrong.
Old 28th May 2008, 18:36   #4975  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
I'd suggest to do it the other way round to save the mods some work. Moving 10 - 20% of the posts is much less work than moving 80 - 90% of the posts!
Right. Will do.

Quote:
Furthermore I think it would be helpful if both threads had a good introduction post like this thread currently has. So maybe I should start a new thread for development?
I think that the first page of this thread will be good for the introduction for the help thread so I'll just leave it here. When My list is done I'll let you know and you can start the new development thread with an introduction post that contains what you see fit.
Old 28th May 2008, 20:59   #4976  |  Link
Joniii

Quote:
Make sure your delaycut version is 1.3.0.0. If you get a lot of errors, then your track might be severely damaged.

Where did you get that ddp track and how did you demux it? Re-ripping the disc might solve the problem.
Got the same result every time i ripped that disc. Luckily you mentioned to someone to make sure that dd+ is named .ddp or .eac3, that solved my problem with delaycut .
Old 28th May 2008, 21:10   #4977  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
That's a tough decision. eac3to does so many different things. Audio processing is still a very big part of eac3to. To be honest, I don't really know into which sub-forum it really belongs. Maybe we should let the mods decide?
Since main purpose of eac3to is to convert HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs to matroska format, i believe it would better fit there. But whatever you/the mods decide doesn't really make any difference.
Old 28th May 2008, 21:57   #4978  |  Link
Jaja1

Quote:
Each track number (1:, 2:, etc) gets it's own switches. Putting the -seektoIframes switch at the end is applied to track number 2, which is an audio track.
I knew that

Thanks, it worked fine now.
Old 28th May 2008, 23:27   #4979  |  Link
73ChargerFan

DTS-MA to DTS

Die Hard 2

eac3to 00001.m2ts 2: diehard2.dts

M2TS, 1 video track, 5 audio tracks, 2:03:21
1: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
2: DTS Master Audio, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz, -9ms

encoded to dts with SurCode, but cannot mux into mkv. I got timing errors, no dts header found, bytes discarded, yada yada yada.

So I'm going the manual route:

eac3to 00001.m2ts 2: diehard2.wavs

QUESTION:
Do I need to specify the -9ms delay?

REQUEST:
A better set of instructions for use.

Thanks for the great program.
Old 28th May 2008, 23:41   #4980  |  Link
nautilus7

EVERY dts-hd audio track contains a simple dts core @ 1536 kbps. If that is the bitrate you want, don't encode with surcode. Just use -core switch to extract the core.

If you let eac3to do either demuxing or decoding of any track ,you'll see a mesage saying "applying delay". So the answer is no, you don't need to do anything regarding the delay.

Suggested command: eac3to 00001.m2ts 2: audio.dts -core
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to