Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 6th January 2022, 01:12   #1  |  Link
Danette

ffprobe Results And Batch Processing

First, this MPEG-2 Encoding section seems to be the best place to address ffprobe issues. If not, please let me know where, within Doom9, it belongs. I'd rather not have to join a new forum if I can get help here on Doom9.

My objective is to list the video and audio start times for all mkv files within a folder. The reason is that I want to identify sync problems, in the source files, without having to manually adjust by playing back through the likes of VLC, or another player.

I'm new to the ffprobe CLI and have been able to identify the audio and video start times with the following argument:

ffprobe -v error -show_entries stream_tags=rotate:stream=stream_type,start_time -of default=noprint_wrappers=1 "input.mkv"

However, I cannot figure out how to use this argument in an ffprobe batch process so that each file would be shown with the file name, followed by the two start times.

Alternatively, I have downloaded MediaFile's CLI files, hoping to use that as the GUI for showing the start times. However, every search for it's use seems to start with the assumption that the user already knows how to access the CLI function in MediaInfo. I don't have that basic knowledge, and cannot find any reference to doing so. Perhaps a step-by-step explanation for what to do once the CLI files are downloaded would help kick-start my using that, to solve the initial objective.

EDIT / UPDATE

In case anyone was interested in addressing this problem, please ignore it. I decided to use a stand-alone macro program (MacroExpress) to feed the CLI in a batch-type approach.

However, I am leaving the post up, primarily to report success in finding a way to identify audio sync issues without having to examine every file, at least regarding ~400 converted-to-MKV files I had ripped from DVDs. After scouring the web, I had had no success in finding a good approach to automatic identification of sync issues. Perhaps future searchers of this problem will stumble upon this approach to audio sync identification and find it helpful.

I decided to use ffprobe to find the start times for the video and audio streams, then use any significant differences for the delay or hasten values. I suppose that MediaInfo (CLI version) can do some of this, but I could find no guides for doing so. With ffprobe, if the sync problems weren’t clearly identified, it would return “Invalid frame dimensions 0x0”. When this happened, I could use the real-time VLC media player “Audio track synchronization” tool to manually find the sync offset values. Using ffprobe in this way resulted in every file having sync problems being identified (about 35 of the 400).

Last edited by Danette; 10th January 2022 at 02:56.
Danette is offline   Reply With Quote