Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 22nd January 2019, 22:56   #221  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVspace View Post
Thanks for the update. I was easily able to go back to the previous version so it wasn't too much of an issue. I'll go for 2.0.0.5
There should be zero conflict switching between version from 2.0+ and using your Settings file.
Old 22nd January 2019, 23:03   #222  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVspace View Post
Oh, this is my fault. I forgot to mention i use 264. That's my bad.

That's still helpful though especially if i do some x265 encodes. So if it's a default value it doesn't show up in the bottom where it shows --pass 1 and i'd have to custom change it to show up. I find out what the default values for a quick first pass are and then manually adjust it. I found the "custom first pass" section in the settings so i just need to find out what the default values for a quick first pass are and enter any adjustment. I didn't realize stuff like this --colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --range limited --no-info had much of an effect i have them all set to undefined i'll look more into this.
I no longer use x264, I just don't see the point.

The x264 doc hasn't been updated for years. Just Right click on the Text in x264 option(StaxRip) and it will show you the cli with it's default value(If argopt is proper typed out.)

colorprim is mainly triggers for videoplayers so it knows what settings to use when playing things back.

--no-info not sure if x264 has this option or not, It's just debug code. and it junks of the metadata.

THis is what I been using with x265, x264 should be similar.

Code:
--pass 1 --bitrate 140496 --output-depth 10 --limit-refs 1 --cu-lossless --aq-mode 1 --pmode --pme --colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --range limited --no-info --no-deblock --no-sao --psy-rd 1 --no-strong-intra-smoothing
Along with Medium Preset, 10Bit & Two Pass Mode(CBR Mode should never be used).

CRF is nice but you can not target a certain bitrate or size.
Old 24th January 2019, 06:48   #223  |  Link
AVspace

It's mainly the speed benefit i get when using x264 and i was able to find very solid setting with x264 that give me good results and a look i like from being able to use higher settings with the faster encoding time.

"The x264 doc hasn't been updated for years. Just Right click on the Text in x264 option(StaxRip) and it will show you the cli with it's default value"

Thanks again. That worked.
Old 24th January 2019, 22:50   #224  |  Link
dev84

Hello Revan654 thank You for keeping StaxRip alive, please tell me is Your 2.0.0. completely different software from original StaxRip 1.7.0 or is it compatible and old cfg files will work with new version or is it better to start it from zero and cfg it fresh?

Thx
Pawel
Old 25th January 2019, 00:29   #225  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev84 View Post
Hello Revan654 thank You for keeping StaxRip alive, please tell me is Your 2.0.0. completely different software from original StaxRip 1.7.0 or is it compatible and old cfg files will work with new version or is it better to start it from zero and cfg it fresh?

Thx
Pawel
cfg file hasn't been used for ages. Everything uses .dat / srip format.

You will need to start Fresh.
Old 25th January 2019, 01:26   #226  |  Link
dev84

ok, thx
Old 25th January 2019, 20:02   #227  |  Link
Revan654

Python has breaking very easily as of late. This is the second time it broke without me even touching it. It finally started to work once I installed numpy & Pillow.
Old 25th January 2019, 20:42   #228  |  Link
brucethemoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
Python has breaking very easily as of late. This is the second time it broke without me even touching it. It finally started to work once I installed numpy & Pillow.
You're using a portable python, right? Forgive me, its been a few months since I installed Staxrip, so I can't remember if it's an external dependency or included in the download.

Anyway, I've been fed up with Python too, which is why I love the portable install the VS Fatpack uses. It seems to be immune to borked system installs, and worst case, you can just delete the whole Python directory and restore it from an archive without hunting down other settings a regular install spreads through your system.
Old 26th January 2019, 00:03   #229  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post
You're using a portable python, right? Forgive me, its been a few months since I installed Staxrip, so I can't remember if it's an external dependency or included in the download.

Anyway, I've been fed up with Python too, which is why I love the portable install the VS Fatpack uses. It seems to be immune to borked system installs, and worst case, you can just delete the whole Python directory and restore it from an archive without hunting down other settings a regular install spreads through your system.
I had Anaconda installed since I needed Python Dev IDE, Since MS has no plans to update Python to 3.7 until VS 2019 gets released.

Flatpack is also almost triple the size of the base python.

StaxRip uses VFW for the preview window which requires access to the registry, It needs the python & VS registry keys. Yes you could add manually keys but it's not worth effort when install does all this work for you already. Nor the risk of screwing up your registry.

I wish there was a way to package VS into a single exe file and use it in that form. Don't think that is possible due to how VS works and how many external resources are needed.
Old 26th January 2019, 12:07   #230  |  Link
Schattenspieler

Quote:
You Can Grab New Builds at Here
Is what we want to download behind the "Artifacts" button? There is one StaxRip.zip with an executable and some libs and stuff in there.
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but there are no hints and the FAQ doesn't cover that.
Old 26th January 2019, 19:36   #231  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenspieler View Post
Is what we want to download behind the "Artifacts" button? There is one StaxRip.zip with an executable and some libs and stuff in there.
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but there are no hints and the FAQ doesn't cover that.
Artifact = Package Files. So, Yes.
Old 26th January 2019, 20:10   #232  |  Link
Schattenspieler

Sry, didn't know and the faq there doesn't give clues. I'm used to "artifacts" being usually unwanted visual or acustic leftovers from processing videos.
Learned smth. new today! (:
Old 30th January 2019, 11:06   #233  |  Link
sellers

Quote:
You Can Grab New Builds at Here

These will range From Beta to Final, But will not ladbrokes bonus code contain any External Files.
Thanks!

Last edited by sellers; 31st January 2019 at 08:17.
Old 1st February 2019, 09:49   #234  |  Link
Z'Hadum

Hello Revan654,
in the latest (test) Version (2.0.0.6):
It seems that importing the encoder options does not work correct:
For example if I import the following Commandline:
Code:
--crf 20 --preset slower --tune grain --level-idc 5.1 --rd 5 --ctu 32 --psy-rdoq 4 --aq-strength 0.9 --qcomp 0.65 --cbqpoffs -3 --crqpoffs -3 --vbv-bufsize 160000 --vbv-maxrate 160000
--pbratio 1.2 --rc-lookahead 80 --min-keyint 1 --keyint 240 --no-strong-intra-smoothing --psy-rd 2.5
The Option "no-strong-intra-smoothing" is not set.

Another very small issue:
it seems the psy-rd Parameter is not in your menu or I can't find it (I found only psy-rdoq).
Afaik in past versions this options had a dedicated switch

Last but not least: for your work.

regards
Z'Hadum
Old 2nd February 2019, 00:34   #235  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z'Hadum View Post
Hello Revan654,
in the latest (test) Version (2.0.0.6):
It seems that importing the encoder options does not work correct:
For example if I import the following Commandline:
Code:
--crf 20 --preset slower --tune grain --level-idc 5.1 --rd 5 --ctu 32 --psy-rdoq 4 --aq-strength 0.9 --qcomp 0.65 --cbqpoffs -3 --crqpoffs -3 --vbv-bufsize 160000 --vbv-maxrate 160000
--pbratio 1.2 --rc-lookahead 80 --min-keyint 1 --keyint 240 --no-strong-intra-smoothing --psy-rd 2.5
The Option "no-strong-intra-smoothing" is not set.

Another very small issue:
it seems the psy-rd Parameter is not in your menu or I can't find it (I found only psy-rdoq).
Afaik in past versions this options had a dedicated switch

Last but not least: for your work.

regards
Z'Hadum
psy-rd is in Other Menu at the bottom, It will only show up if it differs from the defaults(Defaults have changed recently).

Import function will only enable switches not disable them.
Old 2nd February 2019, 21:36   #236  |  Link
Vesdaris

Hey guys, I wanted to ask you, how is the quality of nvenc hevc 10 bit encodes on the latest nvidia gpus (Turing)?

If you set every setting to get the best quality out of it how would nvenc hevc 10 bit fare against a software hevc 10 bit? I don't care about the size being larger than hevc software endode coz it would be still smaller than x264 encode.=)

I know hardware encoders were notoriously bad once but afaik they have been getting better.

Thank you
Old 2nd February 2019, 23:35   #237  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

The nVidia Video SDK 9 required for Turing is not yet available (Coming Soon! ). So nobody can answer that yet.
Old 3rd February 2019, 00:02   #238  |  Link
IbrahimKh

Hi, where can I get the latest build (2.0.0.6)?
I have no idea where is the download button here https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Revan654/staxrip
and https://github.com doesn't have v 2.0.0.6
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:33   #239  |  Link
Vesdaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
The nVidia Video SDK 9 required for Turing is not yet available (Coming Soon! ). So nobody can answer that yet.

Ah I see.. I didn't know that.

What about Pascal's hevc 10bit encodes quality? Still unacceptable?
Old 3rd February 2019, 13:36   #240  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesdaris View Post
Ah I see.. I didn't know that.

What about Pascal's hevc 10bit encodes quality? Still unacceptable?
They are decent enough
Closed Thread

Tags
aac, hdr, hevc, nvenc, staxrip, x264, x265