Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th July 2014, 17:13   #1  |  Link
Electron.Rotoscope

ffmpeg encoding for Quicktime 7 OSX playback

I'm trying to encode some video for use in ProTools on an OSX system, and I'd really prefer to use ffmpeg and x264, since they're so much better in practically every way. Unfortunately I can't get the Quicktime framework to recognize the video as being H.264 on OSX. Instead of H.264, it says Lavc55.68.100 libx264, and I think that's making programs on the QuickTime framework (ie ProTools) freak out and refuse to accept it.

My encode command is
Code:
C:\cli\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i "%~f1" ^
-pix_fmt yuv420p -sws_flags lanczos -s 1280x720 ^
-vcodec libx264 -profile:v main -preset medium -tune fastdecode -crf 20 -refs 1 -qmin 1 ^
-maxrate 3000k -bufsize 3000k ^
-c:a pcm_s16le ^
-f mov "X:\ffmpegout\for_mix_%~n1.mov"
and it seems to be totally fine in VLC and Quicktime for Windows (inspector window) but when I take it to an OSX system it plays in QT7 Pro but won't import in my client's ProTools. I suspect because it's not detecting as being H.264 (inspector window)

Has anyone seen this before, and knows a way around it? I know QuickTime is kind of garbagey, but unfortunately I can't tell the audio house to buy a new operating system or stop using ProTools, and I'd really hate to have to go back to Compressor just because of this.

Alternately: does anyone know if it's possible to put PCM into an mp4? Quicktime seems to accept it when it's in an mp4, but then I have to compress the audio and playback shuttle speed and CPU load take a hit on the client's end.

In case it matters, source video is DNxHD 175X, test rig is QT 7.6.6 on OSX 10.6.8. The ffmpeg encode looks like this when encoding http://pastebin.com/deN262jw

Last edited by Electron.Rotoscope; 14th July 2014 at 17:16.
Electron.Rotoscope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffmpeg, libx264, quicktime