Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 26th March 2019, 22:38   #1  |  Link
asarian

Application x264.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware?!

Wut?! Never seen that before! Process hasn't crashed, and it can only be an OpenCL thing.

How do I unblock it, though?!

EDIT: I see x264 still use ca. 0.1% GPU (GPU - Copy). That must be the OpenCL stuff, so it doesn't seem the block was permanent. But I can't tell for sure.

Last edited by asarian; 26th March 2019 at 23:12.
asarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 23:58   #2  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Maybe right click on x264.exe and look at properties (some downloaded files have access blocked by system),

If says something like "This file has been blocked because it came from a different computer", click the UNBLOCK button.

Dont know if above will help at all, or if at all related, below link to similar thing, several posts bout it,
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...71#post1837271

There is a setting in PRO version OS's to automatically ignore/NotBlock files from internet/other_computers, some stuff on it in above link.
[EDIT: The block stuff is stored in NTFS Alternate Data Stream, copy to FAT32 and back again removes them, FAT32 dont have alternate streams.]

EDIT: Post #36 of above link shows the Properties dialog box and the Blocked type message.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...02#post1856802

EDIT: Think can also get similar to above message if file came from eg USB/ZIP file (rather than Internet).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th March 2019 at 00:21.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 00:13   #3  |  Link
asarian

^^ Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it's a 'downloaded from Internet' thing per se (and it wasn't blocked in Properties). Mid-encoding I simply got a notification "Application x264.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware." I must admit my machine was extremely busy at the time (100% load, and I tried to run DGIndexNV on top of that (on a HEVC stream). So, I may have run into a TDR issue (which value I, pre-emptively, had already set very high).

I paused my existing x264 process, started another, and it gave me no indication it couldn't use OpenCL. Then I resumed the running one. I also inspected the h264 encoded stream so far, but it contained no glitches.

I just want to make sure Windows 10 isn't perma-blocking x264 from using the GPU, though.
Old 27th March 2019, 18:30   #4  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Application x264.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware?!
I know that x64 systems require x64 drivers, perhaps an x86 x264.exe accessing x64 hardware is a bit naughty, does not though explain why it sometimes works ok. [assuming x264.exe is 32 bit]

I use an x64 program that for some reason will not work as is on W7 or W10 x64, the program NetSpeedMonitor by Florial Gilles though will install OK if you
right click on properties of the installer, and select "Run in compatibilty mode" (or words to that effect), might also have have to "Run this program As Administrator" in properties.
If you continue to have same problems, might be worth a try to see if resolves the problem.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 22:19   #5  |  Link
asarian

The error hasn't occured any more, and my machine has been rebooted since. Now x264 is using upward of 7% GPU (on an GTX 1080 Ti); so I think it must have been just a temporary lockout. Thanks for thinking along with me, though.