Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd December 2015, 16:55   #34841  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok, but how many displays, especially how many TVs support that?
TVs? Almost none, AFAIK (and see IRL). Only monitors - and i use this on monitors (first Samsung 959NF, then Dell 2707WFP) at my primary PC (to view short videos), not theater PC.

Quote:
You mean chinese or russian characters? Or what do you mean?
Russian(Cyrillic). But - ANSI CP is 1251 (and OEM 866) on my PC - and if you internally use AnsiStrings - it shall not be a problem, i assume.

Last edited by SweetLow; 23rd December 2015 at 17:15.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 17:53   #34842  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Sorry, but no.
No problem. I'm glad we have it in madVR though.

Different issue:
I'm instantly getting lots of dropped frames when I enable black bar detection for a HEVC 10 bit 4k 50fps video. Neither GPU nor CPU load is at max, so probably performance can be improved?
The video plays fine without it (except of some weird high bitrate locations).
CPU is a 4770k@4.1Ghz and GPU 780 Ti@1.2Ghz.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:11   #34843  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
If it's *soft* telecine then it should be played at 23p if deinterlacing is disabled. Are you sure it's 29p? If it is, then it's probably not soft telecined.
yes i'm sure it is soft telecine and the reported fps is 29.90 fps says source filter even with "if in doubt, activate deinterlancing".

some extra informations.
software decoding with IVTC sees 3:2.
quiicksync decoding with IVTC sees 2:2 (no repeat flags)

and there is no combed file in the whole source.

and ffmpegsource uses 23p for it.

Last edited by huhn; 23rd December 2015 at 18:13.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:15   #34844  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
Russian(Cyrillic). But - ANSI CP is 1251 (and OEM 866) on my PC - and if you internally use AnsiStrings - it shall not be a problem, i assume.
Should be unicode, but I'll check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I'm instantly getting lots of dropped frames when I enable black bar detection for a HEVC 10 bit 4k 50fps video. Neither GPU nor CPU load is at max, so probably performance can be improved?
Yes, I'm aware of the problem. It will be fixed soon(ish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
yes i'm sure it is soft telecine and the reported fps is 29.90 fps says source filter even with "if in doubt, activate deinterlancing".
That's just what the decoder reports, but not what madVR actually draws. Try frame stepping again, you should be seeing 24fps not 30fps.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:32   #34845  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
That's just what the decoder reports, but not what madVR actually draws. Try frame stepping again, you should be seeing 24fps not 30fps.
the issue is that madVR isn't switching to 23p if possible and madVR isn't using smoothmotion at 60 hz with these sources.
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:36   #34846  |  Link
dansrfe

OSD upscaling works great, however the text is hard to read when height is less then ~630px or within the smallest OSD size range.

Should peak luminance be set to 265nit for a 300nit (measured) display?

Last edited by dansrfe; 23rd December 2015 at 18:39.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:10   #34847  |  Link
huhn

set it to what's looks best to you.
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:46   #34848  |  Link
Marsu42
Huba Huba

Is there some non-linear stretch option with MadVR I'm not finding in the various options ... i.e. like ffdShow warped resize or Cyberlink PanoVision(tm)(r)(c)(wtf)?

If not, would it be possible to implement this - the various tv sets all seem to have a 4:3->16:9 non-linear stretch feature as it's so convenient for watching older content on a newer wide-screen display. The catch with ffdShow is that it's software-only and is stuttering esp. when enabling other post filters.
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:52   #34849  |  Link
py930828

Quote:
If it's *soft* telecine then it should be played at 23p if deinterlacing is disabled. Are you sure it's 29p? If it is, then it's probably not soft telecined.

Because HD DVDs and D-Theater captures are soft telecined and play perfectly with deinterlacing disabled. There are even some (rare) Blu-Rays with this mode. But if you want deinterlacing to be used for such sources, simply change your madVR settings to "if in doubt, activate deinterlacing". That's what that setting is for.

Sorry, but no. It's also not necessarily the final version yet. It's a work in progress. I already have some plans to further improve it, at least the anti-ringing part of it.

Your media player.

Don't attach pictures to this forum, they often don't get approved, or with very long delays.

Is that an Optimus laptop? Those are known to have certain problems. You could try installing a different driver version, maybe it helps.

I can't even see them because they're not approved (see above).

Yes. Forgot to mention it in the changelog.

It does for me. It says: "vsync 16.68ms, frame 16.68ms" with (DXVA) deinterlacing active and "vsync 16.68ms, frame 33.37ms" if I manually disable deinterlacing.

Your source filter simply doesn't deliver frames. I've told you before, the source filter should push frames until madVR blocks. But your source filter does not. There is NOTHING I can do to make the queues fill. It's the responsibility of your source filter. The key problem is that madVR's "delay" feature waits for frames to come from the source filter while the graph is still in paused mode. And in that mode it seems that your source filter doesn't send more than 1-2 frames. It only starts sending frames when playback in unpaused, and it never sends frames fast enough ("in advance") to allow the queues to fill.

I'm scaling the font size with the window/screen size now. I've tried many different fonts and spent many hours on this, trying to find a good solution. The biggest problem is that most fonts don't support grayscale anti-aliasing at smaller font sizes. The fonts must be rather big for them to start supporting grayscale AA. ClearType AA is supported at small font sizes, but looks terrible when transparently blended over the video frame as madVR does. So the font I'm not using (which is actually the Windows default GUI font) was the "best" compromise I could find. It's one of the VERY few fonts which supports anti-aliasing at smaller font sizes. Most other fonts look very thin and are thus also hard to read at smaller font sizes.

It's true that the font size is now allowed to get smaller if your playback window is very small. The purpose of that is to fit more of the stats into the window. If I didn't do that, the font size would be bigger which is easier to read, but a lot of the OSD content would then be cut off.

Ok, but how many displays, especially how many TVs support that?

Makes no sense to me that this would change anything related to HDR.

You mean chinese or russian characters? Or what do you mean?

Bigger is better, but 4 should work ok, too.

Higher CPU/decoder queue means more protection against CPU spikes causing the decoder queue to get empty. But usually the default should be fine.

That's the size of the present queue. If your GPU queue is set to 4 frames, probably it would make sense to reduce the present queue size to 4, too, except if you're using smooth motion FRC. The frame presented in advance are frames which madVR has already sent to Direct3D for presentation. So they're out of madVR's hands, and even out of the responsibility of the media player process. Usually this increases reliability against frame drops.

It would be good if you could make up your mind if you want support for your specific playback problems in this thread, or in your own thread, because if you ask in both threads, questions and answers might overlap, causing me more support work. Thanks.
Madshi, what is the difference between using DX11 or DX9? Does DX11 works better or?
py930828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:54   #34850  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Okay, so why does madVR not change the refresh rate to 24/1.001Hz or engage smooth motion (on a 60Hz display)? Forcing deinterlacing & film mode where it detects a 3:2 pattern on the clip seems to be the only way to get it to actually treat it like p23.976 content.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 22:26   #34851  |  Link
Warner306

Improving the anti-ringing of sharpen edges would be welcome. At 1080p -> 1080P, I like to use a small amount of sharpening to keep the appearance of the image consistent across all resolution profiles. I find sharpen edges looks the best when used alone because it doesn't alter image brightness, but it shimmers during panning scenes due to its ringing. It is really my last request after a year and a half of using madVR. Super sampling or another sharpening algorithm that resembles SuperRes would also be welcome.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 22:37   #34852  |  Link
Warner306

Also, I mentioned earlier that peak luminance should have a disclaimer next to this setting to the effect: "For HDR content mapping." Most people, like me, won't even know where to begin and would assume this applies to all content.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 00:22   #34853  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Improving the anti-ringing of sharpen edges would be welcome. At 1080p -> 1080P, I like to use a small amount of sharpening to keep the appearance of the image consistent across all resolution profiles. I find sharpen edges looks the best when used alone because it doesn't alter image brightness, but it shimmers during panning scenes due to its ringing. It is really my last request after a year and a half of using madVR. Super sampling or another sharpening algorithm that resembles SuperRes would also be welcome.
I agreed, supersampling is the best for sharpening.
This is why I still use avisynth at the moment.

@ madshi
I think it could be interesting to use upscaling refinement even without upscaling or add a similar option for post sharpening.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 00:36   #34854  |  Link
Kirk Lazarus

MadTPG

I guys,
I'm running madVR 0.89.17 on a Pc with Win7 64bit.

I use this HTPC on an OLED UHD LG TV.
This tv do not support directly 0-255 levels so I set madVR to work in 16-235.

I've done a simple test...

I used Calman 5 and madTPG like pattern generator and measured a full 21 steps grey scale. the result is this:

After that I turned back in madvr >> "color & gamma"

and I set brightness to +50.

When I set +50 I've madvr displaying a near black flashing bar test pattern.
The +50 have an evident effect on the flashing bars ...

I turned back in madTPG and with Calman I performed another grey scale read ...

the result is identical like before!!

Maybe I found a bug?

or it is normal that a brightness setting do not effect the patches reproduced in madTPG ???

thank you all for any clarification.
Kirk Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 02:32   #34855  |  Link
Aktan

Quote:
Your source filter simply doesn't deliver frames. I've told you before, the source filter should push frames until madVR blocks. But your source filter does not. There is NOTHING I can do to make the queues fill. It's the responsibility of your source filter. The key problem is that madVR's "delay" feature waits for frames to come from the source filter while the graph is still in paused mode. And in that mode it seems that your source filter doesn't send more than 1-2 frames. It only starts sending frames when playback in unpaused, and it never sends frames fast enough ("in advance") to allow the queues to fill.
Ah, I think I finally got it. Thanks for being patient with me. Also seems like setting an audio delay in MPC-HC doesn't help
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 10:57   #34856  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsu42 View Post
Is there some non-linear stretch option with MadVR I'm not finding in the various options ... i.e. like ffdShow warped resize or Cyberlink PanoVision(tm)(r)(c)(wtf)?

If not, would it be possible to implement this - the various tv sets all seem to have a 4:3->16:9 non-linear stretch feature as it's so convenient for watching older content on a newer wide-screen display. The catch with ffdShow is that it's software-only and is stuttering esp. when enabling other post filters.
madshi mentioned in the past that it might arrive but that it's not a priority for him. Personally I think that a configurable solution, as Lumagen scalers offer, can produce acceptable results by combining NLS with some cropping.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 12:45   #34857  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:

[code]
* fixed: DVD aspect ratio wasn't always shown correctly when using MPC-HC
Thanks a lot, it works now again.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 13:12   #34858  |  Link
bran

Hi guys, I have a question semi-related to madVR;

I have the flagship 65" JS9505 TV from Samsung, 10bit panel. Using HDMI via a Marantz SR6010 receiver and GTX980Ti so 10-bit and/or 4:4:4 RGB is supported.

However, seems like the current standard does not accept 4K @ 60Hz and RGB 4:4:4 coupled with 10-bit? At least I can't choose it in the nvidia control panel. If I go 4:2:2 I can choose 10 or 12bit.

What would your recommendations be? Go with 4K 60Hz RGB 4:4:4 8bit or Ycbcr 4:2:2 12bit (10bit in madVR)?
Not much (any) 10-bit content nowadays but in the future when HDR rec2020 comes, will that change the preferred settings?
Old 24th December 2015, 13:53   #34859  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

HDMI doesn't have enough bandwidth for 4K RGB 4:4:4 in 10-bit, only 8-bit, or lower refreshrate, or lower chroma.

Unless movies actually start being 60Hz or something at some point, using 24p in 10-bit is probably best.
Speaking of, I wonder if this is a viable setup and the resolution switcher can actually deal with it.... Switching between 60Hz 8-bit and 24Hz 10-bit automatically.
Old 24th December 2015, 14:25   #34860  |  Link
aufkrawall

According to AMD, there will be HDMI displays with FreeSync in Q1 2016.
Would it technically be a huge effort to change madVR's presentation logic to natively output the movie's framerate?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling