Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 20th July 2016, 17:57   #4241  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Could the remove option be singular all the time, or singular when right clicking on a single item and plural for multiple items?
I'll look into changing the texts based on the number of items selected. I won't shorten those entries to a simple "remove", though. I actually did use "remove" once upon a time, but users (beta testers? Don't remember exactly) were sometimes confused. Therefore I opted to make the entries state explicitly what they'd operate on.

Contributing to the decision were the translators who had sometimes had problems with a simple "remove" (and similar actions, e.g. "add"). They wanted or even needed to translate those differently depending on what those actions would work on. Using the more explicit "remove tracks" solved that issue, too.

The GUI's not entirely consistent in this regard, though. You've already pointed out one example:

Quote:
In closing, I'd like to point out the right click option in the Job queue labelled "Edit in corresponding tool and remove from queue" isn't called "Edit jobs in corresponding tool and remove from job queue".
In this particular case I opted for skipping "job" as the entry was very long already.

That being said there are probably still entries that aren't consistent with the ideas mentioned above. "Open in MediaInfo" is one such example; it's used in both the file's and the track's popup menu.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 20th July 2016, 17:58   #4242  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
So I thought.... the section down the bottom of the Merge pane where currently some information about running jobs is displayed.... to me it's crying out to function as a kind of "minimised" version of the Job Queue pane
I'm sorry, but that's not a direction I want to take the GUI in.

Old 24th July 2016, 17:33   #4243  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I have some Matroska files with srt subtitles that have problems with the Scandinavic characters. If I've understood correctly, this is because the character set has been set incorrectly when muxing. If I demux the subtitle track and open it in Notepad++, it detects the files as UTF-8 encoded.

Is there a way to remux or fix the Matroska files in some automated way or will I need to demux and then open the subtitle file in Notepad++, copy-paste the contents to a new file and then tell mkvmerge to expect UTF-8 encoded files?
Old 26th July 2016, 23:11   #4244  |  Link
agressiv
Registered Loser

trying to compile 9.3.1 on arch linux (multiple systems) - all get the same errors:

Quote:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmagic
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmatroska
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lebml
libmatroska 1.4.5-1,libebml 1.3.4-1, and file 5.28-1 are installed but I don't really know how to troubleshoot the rest. Any tips on pointing me in the right direction?
Old 27th July 2016, 18:05   #4245  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Huh… For what it's worth it works fine on my Arch (my primary development system is actually Arch Linux); I just compiled it successfully.

Maybe run ldconfig, make sure that the libraries are actually present in /usr/lib and that the symlinks are correct. If in doubt paste the output of "ls -l /usr/lib/lib{magic,ebml,matroska}*" and attach config.log to your post.

Old 27th July 2016, 18:11   #4246  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Is there a way to remux or fix the Matroska files in some automated way or will I need to demux and then open the subtitle file in Notepad++, copy-paste the contents to a new file and then tell mkvmerge to expect UTF-8 encoded files?
If they've all been broken in the same way (e.g. encoded from non-UTF-8 to UTF-8 twice) then it is possible to fix that automatically with a hearty dose of mkvextract (for extracting the affected tracks), iconv (for converting from UTF-8 to the other character set once), mkvmerge (for putting the original file and the modified subtitle track together again) and Perl scripting (or any other scripting language; for automating the whole process for any given number of files).

If you want to go down that road you should probably look at mkvmerge's JSON identification mode (e.g. "mkvmerge --identification-format json --identify source.mkv"). The output is trivial to use in any scripting language for which JSON modules are available, and it can be used to easily determine which tracks are actually text subtitle tracks.

However, if you're looking for a turnkey solution to such a particular problem then I don't know of any. The individual tools are all there, though, and the fact that all of them can be automated with nothing more than freely available scripting (or other programming) languages is one of the greatest strengths of such tools: you can make them do way more than their authors ever thought of themselves.

Old 27th July 2016, 19:08   #4247  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

It seems that the troublesome files are muxed with mkvmerge v8.6.1. At one point, I had to recover all my encoded files from my DVD archives, demux them (to encode the FLAC audio tracks to Opus to save space on my server) and batch mux them again. V8.6.1 was the latest mkvmerge version at that time. The archived version does not have the problem.

I'll take a look at your suggestion, thanks. I do some stuff with scripts so maybe I'll get things working at least semi-automatically.
Old 27th July 2016, 19:22   #4248  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

The character set handling hasn't really changed over the last year, it's almost the same in 8.6.1 and 9.3.1. Therefore I guess that either your sources were different (e.g. one set of sources did use BOMs while another didn't) or you used different settings in each case.

That being said, there's one particular bug fix that stands out and that might apply to your situation and explain what you're experiencing (though you haven't given enough details to know for sure). Citing the ChangeLog:

Quote:
2016-03-09 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: bug fix: the --sub-charset option is now ignored for
text subtitle files that start with a byte-order mark (BOM)
bringing the behavior in line with the documentation. Fixes #1620.

Old 27th July 2016, 19:29   #4249  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
…demux them … and batch mux them again
Just to point this out once more. You don't have and most likely never should demux all tracks if you're aiming to put them into Matroska later anyway. Valueable meta information is almost lost that way (e.g. timestamps, tags, track names, track language etc. etc.). Always only demux those tracks that you intend to re-encode, not the others.

Additionally the risk of the content being modified in undesired ways (such as your encoding issue) as there's no character set conversion involved at all when you mux from Matroska to Matroska.

Old 27th July 2016, 19:34   #4250  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Just to point this out once more. You don't have and most likely never should demux all tracks if you're aiming to put them into Matroska later anyway. Valueable meta information is almost lost that way (e.g. timestamps, tags, track names, track language etc. etc.). Always only demux those tracks that you intend to re-encode, not the others.

Additionally the risk of the content being modified in undesired ways (such as your encoding issue) as there's no character set conversion involved at all when you mux from Matroska to Matroska.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the future (but hopefully never ever have to recover everything again)

I think I demuxed all tracks because the order is not always the same, or there are PGS subs or SRT subs etc. I probably couldn't find a decent way to automate things so I went the easiest way.

One thing about those character sets. I recall that you changed some default behaviour related to that at some point, not so long ago, but reverted the change later. Do you happen to remember if that could have anything to do with the problem?

EDIT: Found the thing. The change was made in v8.6.0, then reverted back in v8.7.0. It affected all text files output by the tools, which probably caused my issue. I just happened to have bad luck there to use one of those versions with the change.

Last edited by Boulder; 27th July 2016 at 19:42.
Old 27th July 2016, 19:45   #4251  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the future (but hopefully never ever have to recover everything again)

Quote:
I think I demuxed all tracks because the order is not always the same, or there are PGS subs or SRT subs etc. I probably couldn't find a decent way to automate things so I went the easiest way.
Again, take a look at mkvmerge's JSON identification mode. Combined with any kind of scripting language this makes it nearly trivial to write scripts that do things only on specific tracks or track types or even only for specific CodecIDs — no matter how many there are or what their IDs are.

Quote:
One thing about those character sets. I recall that you changed some default behaviour related to that at some point, not so long ago, but reverted the change later. Do you happen to remember if that could have anything to do with the problem?
Ah that particular change. Indeed: in release 8.6.0 I changed mkvextract to NOT write a BOM for UTF-8 encoded files. The result was not that great on Windows as mkvmerge on Windows defaults to the system's local character set if none is given and no BOM is present. This meant that a roundtrip from Matroska → mkvextract → SRT → mkvmerge → Matroska required that the user specify UTF-8 as the file's character set (whereas mkvmerge would auto-detect it due to the BOM before the change).

I reverted that change with release 8.7.0, so in 8.6.1 the change was still present and may very well explain the symptoms you've described.

Old 28th July 2016, 01:36   #4252  |  Link
agressiv
Registered Loser

Code:
[agressiv@alienware mkvtoolnix]$ ls -l /usr/lib/lib{magic,ebml,matroska}*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jul 23 02:55 /usr/lib/libebml.so -> libebml.so.4.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jul 23 02:55 /usr/lib/libebml.so.4 -> libebml.so.4.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 150872 Jul 23 02:55 /usr/lib/libebml.so.4.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     17 Jun 17 19:55 /usr/lib/libmagic.so -> libmagic.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     17 Jun 17 19:55 /usr/lib/libmagic.so.1 -> libmagic.so.1.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 138392 Jun 17 19:55 /usr/lib/libmagic.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     20 Jul 23 03:00 /usr/lib/libmatroska.so -> libmatroska.so.6.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     20 Jul 23 03:00 /usr/lib/libmatroska.so.6 -> libmatroska.so.6.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 758832 Jul 23 03:00 /usr/lib/libmatroska.so.6.0.0
Edit: Getting it on a fresh install of Arch. Hopefully I'm just stupid.
Attached Files
File Type: txt config.txt (69.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by agressiv; 28th July 2016 at 02:31.
Old 28th July 2016, 10:50   #4253  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

You should really not use --enable-static during compilation. I don't support it outside of compilation for Windows with MXE.

Old 28th July 2016, 13:43   #4254  |  Link
agressiv
Registered Loser

Thanks, that was it. It compiled just fine when I removed the static binary setting.

I had 4 other arch systems to copy the binary too so I was just going to do that rather than compile it 5 times. I figured eventually the AUR package would be updated.
Old 28th July 2016, 13:49   #4255  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Ah, I see that the Arch packages haven't been updated yet.

In such a case I usually download the corresponding build files (click on the "source files" link on the upper right), adjust the version & checksum, run makepkg on them and copy the generated packages over to the other machines.

Old 29th July 2016, 19:06   #4256  |  Link
meridius75

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridius75 View Post
Hi all

Wanted to ask a question as I have been using MKV tool Nix for couple of years and now find that it introduces video errors into the picture when creating a new mkv.

I find this strange since I thought MKVToolNix did not alter the picture ?

I Rip my movies with MakeMKV and then dump the video into MKVToolNix To edit and remove some parts of the video and edit names and when I come to play back some films not all there seems to be video corruption for a spilt second.

I tried the movie that was created with MakeMKV and its perfect but MKVToolNix creates errors in the video picture sometimes.

Now I have noticed this in a few versions and its took months to figure out why some of my videos have these corrupt errors in the video.

Some videos I did years ago and just watched now and see the same thing.

So I kept two files the MakeMKV file and the MKVToolNix file and when I seen the error I went back and redid the video with MKVToolNix since the MakeMKV file was fine and no errors in the same video using MKVToolNix, its just random and happens just sometimes.

Its random when this happens and I don't know why its doing it but its very annoying because I have to redo alot of videos because of this and I don't use MKVToolNix that often now because its not reliable but need to use it.

can anyone help me or can I help you sort this problem out or does anyone know or had the same problem

thanks
Hi all did some more testing and if I use makemkv I never get these errors. I have tried a few movies and never get any video image corruption but if I use mkvtoolnix its 50/50 if I get video error corruption.

has anyone been able to nail down what is causing this.

thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 19:26   #4257  |  Link
jkauff

Hey Mosu, were you affected by the FOSSHub attack? Did the attackers try to infect your stuff?
Old 4th August 2016, 21:26   #4258  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

To the best of my knowledge my binaries weren't infected (even though the attackers definitely had access to them). This is based on:
  • a comprehensive, internal report by the FossHub admins to the authors who host their software there,
  • tweeks and other information from the group responsible for the attack,
  • media reports about it and
  • the fact that I haven't had a single user report any kind of infection in or malicious behavior from my binaries.

I am affected only insofar as the account database containing the passwords was compromised as well, and therefore my FossHub password might be cracked. However, as I don't re-use passwords across sites or accounts I'm not particularly worried about it.

I plan to write a more comprehensive blog post about his over the weekend including more details about what I know and infer and ways for users to verify that their downloads of MKVToolNix are legit. But as my users don't seem to be in danger I've been pretty relaxed about the whole issue.

Old 8th August 2016, 11:21   #4259  |  Link
Jamaika

Hi Mosu.
I would like to ask about the append files?
What are the differences in the specifications the matroska for H264 and HEVC. When a merger of two different files h264, eg. yuv420p and yuv444p this all is well. Decoder MPC/Lav plays both.
When a merger of two different files HEVC, eg. yuv420p and yuv444p this sees only the parameters of the first part. Is this the correct operation?

Last edited by Jamaika; 8th August 2016 at 11:36.
Old 8th August 2016, 11:23   #4260  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean with "this seens only the parameters of the open parts", and therefore I cannot really answer your question.

Closed Thread