Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd January 2018, 15:28   #48581  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok. Was it ever launched twice? There's a chance in some cases madVR might activate 2 different profiles in quick sucession during playback start. If that happens, your JVC will probably only react to one of them, or not at all.
There is a chance for that to happen if the command on profile disable is sent just before or at the same time as the command on profile enable. Initially, I only used the command on profile enable. When I started noticing the issues, I tried to add the opposite command on the profile disable, thinking it might increase the chances for the command to get through if randomly it's not sent. In my further tests I'll go back to using only a command on each profile enable, to rule out a double command.

Quote:
These tests seem conclusive, but they're really not 100% reliable.
It's always good to test with the most reliable test that is possible (in this case "start notepad.exe"). Which you already did, so everything's fine.
100% agree, this is why I said the main reasons I can think of, I'm sure you can see many others when looking under the hood

Quote:
So can you confirm that in your test, sometimes Notepad shows up, sometimes it doesn't show up, but it never shows up twice? That would mean that madVR sometimes simply doesn't execute the command line, for reasons yet unknown.

How often does the problem occur? And how can I best reproduce it? Does simply starting playback of the *same* video file again and again already produce the error sometimes? Do I have to close the media player between 2 video file test runs, or can I keep it running, and the problem still occurs? What is your exact activation rule?
When I can (probably not before Thursday), I'll run more tests with just notepad.exe and using only the command on custom enable to rule out as many factors as possible and try to identify a pattern and I'll report back ASAP.

Thanks for agreeing to display the active LUT to the OSD, much appreciated. If you only display the line when a LUT is active, it shouldn't clutter the view of those missing out on MadVR's 3D LUT goodness.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 22nd January 2018 at 15:33.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 15:38   #48582  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
If you only display the line when a LUT is active, it shouldn't clutter the view of those missing out on MadVR's 3D LUT goodness.
Good idea!!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:13   #48583  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Since we have real 4K content now, maybe I should activate the trade quality option "scale chroma separately" by default, because it will give a pretty large performance boost for 1080p displays, with only a very small quality loss?
Seems a wise plan. The default settings should be optimized for performance to be compatible with as much systems as possible. Madvr is pretty much a requirement for HDR playback (in case of MPC-HC) so an good out-of-the-box experience is essential for novice users.

Will there be another Madvr release this week? Is the settings reset through the api already near top of your todo list?
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:17   #48584  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Will there be another Madvr release this week? Is the settings reset through the api already near top of your todo list?
Not sure when exactly, but I'm working on another release. Currently concentrated on fixing bugs and implementing small improvements. I've 17 small-ish things in my to do list (one of those is the "use RCA only if it comes for free" option you requested) with higher priority than the settings reset API, after that it's time for settings reset API... So it shouldn't be too long, but can't say when exactly.
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:39   #48585  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Testing with GPU consumption percentage is not good, either, IMHO. Because if you test with the most demanding content (4Kp60), it will make GPU usage percentage numbers look extra bad.
But it relatively reliably shows how far the GPU is from being pushed to its limits.
I know that I said that GPU usage reported by AMD's driver is garbage, but Creators Update 2 Taskmanager shows GPU D3D usage which should be reliable enough with just DX9/11 and HLSL shaders and I also always enforce full clocks with ClockBlocker.
It also matches the total rendertime quite well.

Quote:
No, that's not true at all, as far as I know. The only problem is with NGU, not with anything else. Furthermore, saying that madVR (or NGU) is slow with Polaris suggests that it's madVR's fault. You should really say that Polaris is slow with NGU, because previous AMD GPU generations had no problems with NGU at all. And Intel and Nvidia don't have any problems with NGU, either. It's just Polaris, which makes is unlikely that it's madVR's fault.
I totally agree with you on NGU, but I wasn't using it.
It's just that madVR doesn't seem to use the potential of the GPU well in general, I can provide you with more details via PM.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:59   #48586  |  Link
blackmickey

HDR Video + madVR + MPC internal subtitle renderer on SDR monitor

HDR Video + madVR + XySubFilter on SDR monitor

The latter is wrong color.
blackmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:05   #48587  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
It's just that madVR doesn't seem to use the potential of the GPU well in general, I can provide you with more details via PM.
Sure, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmickey View Post
HDR Video + madVR + MPC internal subtitle renderer on SDR monitor

HDR Video + madVR + XySubFilter on SDR monitor

The latter is wrong color.
Ouch. Can I have a small sample of this file, please? Just large enough for me to reproduce the problem.
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:23   #48588  |  Link
blackmickey

Quote:
Ouch. Can I have a small sample of this file, please? Just large enough for me to reproduce the problem.
HDR Sample

Last edited by blackmickey; 22nd January 2018 at 20:26.
blackmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:42   #48589  |  Link
Steffenhh
MPC-HC + MadVR + Lav

@Madshi, I can reproduce this:

When playing a hdr file and using "let madVR decide" under hdr settings, the image turn grayish/colorless when displaying subtitles.
When using "convert HDR to SDR via pixel shader math", the image maintains the colors when playing subtitles.
Steffenhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:53   #48590  |  Link
-Hitman-

Quote:
Ok, so v0.92.1 is one step down compared to v0.91.11. But you say there's another step down after v0.92.1 somewhere. Could you please check which exact version after v0.92.1 introduced the other step down? Also, it would be greatly helpful if you could make a copy of your "settings.bin" file *) from v0.91.11, v0.92.1 and v0.92.11, zip all 3 of them up and upload them to some file host (don't attach to this forum). Thanks!
I have only used 3 versions for this testing...
0.92.11 - not working - worst
0.92.1 - not working
0.91.11 - working

Never had this issue with any version prior to 0.91.11

Here are the files you requested, I've also added snips of each version showing the displays and idents - in the zip, so you can see the issue as is.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...20Settings.rar

Thanks for taking a look at this!

Last edited by -Hitman-; 22nd January 2018 at 21:00. Reason: added link
-Hitman- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 21:08   #48591  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
No it doesn't, that's what I told SamuriHL above.

If you change the frame rate to 23 for 1080p23FP in nVidia's CRU, it's not saved and the wrong default of 24p remains.
What's fp? Custom res works fine here. Let madVR change to the correct mode by playing a file, then fire up the control panel and edit the custom res for the current mode. I enter the same things as in the pic but for some reason NV control panel still says 24 in each part under display mode and timing resulting frame drop stats say somewhere around 3-5 hours.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 21:17   #48592  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Since we have real 4K content now, maybe I should activate the trade quality option "scale chroma separately" by default, because it will give a pretty large performance boost for 1080p displays, with only a very small quality loss?
This option is already ticked by default, unless you mean handling it some other way.
Old 22nd January 2018, 21:29   #48593  |  Link
jasonwc18

madshi,

Would you mind clarifying how to go about generating a 3D LUT for BT.2020 content mastered to the DCI-P3 colorspace (basically all UHD Blu-Rays thus far)? You mentioned before that DCI-P3 within a BT.2020 container is basically just DCI-P3. However, if I try to generate a 3DLUT for DCI-P3, wouldn't that result in wrong colors since my projector can only accept BT.2020? I've already generated a 3DLUT for D65/Gamma 2.4/Rec.709 with excellent results. I also did a quick manual calibration of SDR D65/Gamma 2.4/BT.2020 which gives pretty good gamma, greyscale and color tracking through 60-70% saturation, as expected, since the projector can't display higher. I plan to use this mode with madvr's HDR --> SDR tone mapping feature. However, I'm at a loss for how to generate a BT.2020 3D LUT. Both DisplayCal and Calman seem to target 100% saturation within BT.2020, which no current display technology can display. Is what I am trying to achieve currently possible? I've done some research online and all the guides for 3D LUT generation refer to Rec.709.

Last edited by jasonwc18; 23rd January 2018 at 19:41.
jasonwc18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 22:04   #48594  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
What's fp? Custom res works fine here.
FP = Frame Packed = 3D.

Custom res works fine here too in 2D, but it doesn't work in 3D.

Try to create a custom res for 1080p23 in 3D, and if you get it to work (i.e. to save the new parameters) and obtain better than a frame drop every 3-5 min in 3D, please post a step by step, because here it works with 4K23p but not with 1080p23FP (3D). I get one frame drop every hour or so in 2D thanks to custom res, one frame drop every 3 min in 3D because custom res are not possible in 3D, as far as I can see, either with MadVR or with nVidia CRU.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 22nd January 2018 at 22:08.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 22:44   #48595  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

When people talk about CRU, I always assume they actually talk about the powerful "Custom Resolution Utility" which lets you create custom EDIDs to override the rates you are interested in, not the NVIDIA control panel thing (which AFAIK is never really called CRU anywhere?). Using (the actual) CRU is a bit tricky as you may need to combine multiple tools to get the current EDID and then modify it with CRU to create an override, but people have reportedly tweaked 3D resolutions with it - its just not easy to do.
Old 23rd January 2018, 00:03   #48596  |  Link
ryrynz

Feature request, being able to customize saturation and hue settings a bit. Older anime can look a bit washed out, but I don't want to touch skin tones much or sometimes at all.
Anyone else keen on seeing a bit more flexibility here?

Also I'd like to see madVR being able to set preserve hue in HQ and restoring compressed highlights under 'let madVR decide' if required, or maybe these can be set as default? They improve HDR -> SDR picture quality considerably and don't cost a lot.
Old 23rd January 2018, 01:09   #48597  |  Link
brazen1

Once you set a custom resolution and enable it (either manually in nVidia Control Panel aka NCP or with madVR) are you still able to switch into 10/12 bit color depth?
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 01:48   #48598  |  Link
jasonwc18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Once you set a custom resolution and enable it (either manually in nVidia Control Panel aka NCP or with madVR) are you still able to switch into 10/12 bit color depth?
Yes. You first select a standard setting which offers 12 bit color. Then, when madvr switches modes to your custom setting (say 4K@23), it will use 12 bit color. When using HDMI 2.0, 12 bit color is not supported in 4K50 or 4K60 modes. However, the NVIDIA interface will allow you to choose 12 bit color for these modes. If you select 12 bit color for either mode, it will still use 8 bit at 4K50/60 because that is all that the HDMI connection will allow, but when you switch modes to 4K30 or below, it will use 12 bit color.
jasonwc18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 02:22   #48599  |  Link
brazen1

Yes, I'm aware of all that already. Thanks anyway. I had problems in the past with it. Haven't tried with new updates of everything recently though. (nVidia, LAV, madVR, MPC, etc.) I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Last edited by brazen1; 23rd January 2018 at 02:35.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 06:33   #48600  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi, comparing HDR content to SDR it seems like reds a bit off, for example on the HDR version of Blade Runner 2049 the word Replicants is red on the blu-ray but pink on the 4K with HDR -> SDR conversion.
Changing settings doesn't help, this is with high quality hue and compress highlights, I found that 250 nits to be somewhat comparable between versions.

I also noticed similar pink coloring on a Sony HDR demo with the glass blowing, I'm not expecting things to be dead on, but looks like there's some room for improvement?
It looks like madVR is the best for HDR-> SDR right now regardless.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling