Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 29th May 2014, 12:24   #1021  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupene
Code:
Target output file already exists, going to delete existing file:
M:\BMF\1.mp3

C:/Users/balaban/AppData/Local/Temp/af3619121cd06397/lxp_lame.exe --nohist -q 0 -V 0 -m s M:\BMF\1.mp3 M:\BMF\1.mp3

Input file and Output file are the same. Abort.
porcupene,

I think I now I understand what is going here! You not only selected the "overwrite existing file" mode, but you also made the output directory the same the input directory.

That plus the fact, that your are converting to the same audio format as the input files are, results the in weird situation that the input and output files (paths) for this job are one and the same!

This makes LameXP detect that the target output file already exists (which is correct) and thus delete that file (as desired by the user). Only that it's actually also the input file!

Now, one could argue that this is simply a usage error, because the user is requesting the impossible. Nonetheless I will try to implement a workaround to detect and deal with this situation...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th May 2014 at 13:05.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 13:00   #1022  |  Link
mike20021969

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
If you find any showstopper bugs, then please report NOW
10 days have passed... it must be close now
mike20021969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 13:10   #1023  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
10 days have passed... it must be close now
As long as people continue nagging me with their strange problems, it won't happen soon
Old 29th May 2014, 13:17   #1024  |  Link
porcupene

Quote:
porcupene,

I think I now I understand what is going here! You not only selected the "overwrite existing file" mode, but you also made the output directory the same the input directory.
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. That's exactly what I'm doing.

I was just trying to replace in the same folder some flacs that had been encoded with "--compression-level-6" (or lower) with flacs that would be encoded with "--compression-level-8". I would normally end up with double the number of files and had to rename the new ones (because they would get a (2) in their name and manually delete the old ones) but then I stumbled upon the owerwrite option and said to myself: "Hey the program can do the renaming/deleting for me!"

You know the rest
porcupene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 13:35   #1025  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupene View Post
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. That's exactly what I'm doing.

I was just trying to replace in the same folder some flacs that had been encoded with "--compression-level-6" (or lower) with flacs that would be encoded with "--compression-level-8". I would normally end up with double the number of files and had to rename the new ones (because they would get a (2) in their name and manually delete the old ones) but then I stumbled upon the owerwrite option and said to myself: "Hey the program can do the renaming/deleting for me!"

You know the rest
Yeah, I see. But the input and output file necessarily need to be two distinct files. The new code should make sure we won't delete the original input file.

Please try with this version:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/muld...2.exe/download

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th May 2014 at 14:12.
Old 29th May 2014, 15:21   #1026  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Out of interest...

When generating FLAC encodes, would it be possible to add the 'Compression Level' (encoding settings) information to the files meta-data by default? In the same way this information is automatically added when generating APE encodes

Cheers
Old 29th May 2014, 15:52   #1027  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Out of interest...

When generating FLAC encodes, would it be possible to add the 'Compression Level' (encoding settings) information to the files meta-data by default? In the same way this information is automatically added when generating APE encodes
That's probably more a question for the FLAC developers. But from what I can tell, MediaInfo does not report such info for my FLAC files.

(Either because the 'compression level' is not stored in the FLAC file or MediaInfo doesn't reveal it. In either case, the required changes are beyond my power)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 30th May 2014 at 14:08.
Old 29th May 2014, 16:35   #1028  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
...But from what I can tell, MediaInfo does not report such info for my FLAC files.
Bummer...

A couple of weeks ago when I was trying to isolate some APE file playback issues with the Oppo hardware player, it was really useful knowing what APE 'Encoding settings' were used.

Having the same facility for Flac files would be even more useful, given their much greater appeal.

I wonder if the Flac developers would be interested in adding the info...
Old 29th May 2014, 21:31   #1029  |  Link
porcupene

It sort of works now, see the messages.
porcupene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 18:22   #1030  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.10 RC2:

Quote:
Changes between v4.09 and v4.10 [unreleased]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 with Update-2
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.6 (2014-04-25), compiled with MSVC 12.0
* Updated Opus libraries v1.1.x and Opus-Tools v0.1.8 to latest Git Master (2014-04-13)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.69 (2014-04-26), compiled with ICL 14.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.19.0 (2014-03-08), compiled with GCC 4.8.2
* Fixed a bug that could cause the cover artwork to be lost under certain circumstances
* Fixed "overwrite existing file" mode to NOT delete the input file
* Some more tweaks to the LAME algorithm quality selector
* Added command-line options to adjust the LameXP font size (see FAQ doc for details)
* Various bugfixes and code improvements
If you find any showstopper bugs, then please report NOW

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 27th June 2014 at 16:37.
Old 31st May 2014, 06:39   #1031  |  Link
Jeroi

Have to give you a Rep, pretty fast encoding and using all my threads but no hyperthreading support. Please add that then I can have 8 threads instead 4. Also the path chooser is bit tedious, could you please give a option to make exact copy of the folder to the output folder? Ie If I want to copy folder and make 128kbit I want evertyhing in the folder and files encoded with 128kbit. Now I needed to make my own folders and browse to the folder with the chooser, and album art's were not copied...
Jeroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 14:01   #1032  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroi View Post
Have to give you a Rep, pretty fast encoding and using all my threads but no hyperthreading support.
Actually there is no such thing "hyperthreading support".

With hyperthreading, there simply are twice the number of ("logical") CPU cores visible to the operating system than there are "physical" CPU cores. This allows for scheduling two threads per "physical" CPU core. The reasoning is that often a single thread doesn't fully utilize all the execution units of the CPU core. So by scheduling two threads on a single "physical" CPU core, these threads will share the available execution units, which can increase the utilization of these execution units and give a (small) overall speed-up. The only thing that an application must do in order to "support" hyperthreading is distributing the calculations among a sufficiently large number of threads - which may or may not be possible/reasonable.

(There even are some highly optimized applications, such as Linpack, where hyperthreading is harmful)

Quote:
Please add that then I can have 8 threads instead 4.
LameXP doesn't implement "multi-threading" on a per-thread basis, but by running multiple encoder instances (encoding jobs) in parallel. LameXP actually has zero control over how many threads a particular encoder (or decoder) will create. Anyway, the number of instances that will be run in parallel by default is inferred from the number of CPU cores. However, simply running one instance per CPU core is not a very good idea! On systems with a very large number CPU's this could easily result in HDD thrashing and actually slow-down the overall process. So we use some heuristic function that looks like this. In any case, you can manually set the number of parallel instances on the "Advanced Options", if you which to experiment.

Quote:
Also the path chooser is bit tedious, could you please give a option to make exact copy of the folder to the output folder? Ie If I want to copy folder and make 128kbit I want evertyhing in the folder and files encoded with 128kbit. Now I needed to make my own folders and browse to the folder with the chooser, and album art's were not copied...
LameXP will process all files that you have added to the "Source Files" tab and it will store the re-encoded files in the selected output directory. It certainly does not touch any unrelated files. Copying all (unrelated) files from all input directories, i.e. all directories from which the user has added at least one input file, into the output directory doesn't seem reasonable to me - even if we make it optional.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 31st May 2014 at 14:15.
Old 31st May 2014, 14:38   #1033  |  Link
mariush

Maybe add a separate option "Replace original file with the new encoded file" and maybe add a sub-option "Append ' - old version' to the file name of original file, instead of deleting it" or "Move original files to this folder : " ...

This way user can choose if he/she wants to risk losing the original file or not, let's say if he's paranoid and wants to double check if the new file is compressed correctly or not.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 14:59   #1034  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
Maybe add a separate option "Replace original file with the new encoded file" and maybe add a sub-option "Append ' - old version' to the file name of original file, instead of deleting it" or "Move original files to this folder : " ...

This way user can choose if he/she wants to risk losing the original file or not, let's say if he's paranoid and wants to double check if the new file is compressed correctly or not.
That sounds like a reasonable solution, though it's somewhat orthogonal to the current scheme of "select output directory" + "choose how to deal with existing files".
Old 9th June 2014, 13:12   #1035  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

v4.10 delay

Just to let you know: Things have been delayed because I have been sick with the flu. Spent most of the past week in bed.

Things are back to normal now, but a lot of work has accumulated over the week, which I need to take care of first. So further delay is to be expected...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 9th June 2014 at 13:39.
Old 10th June 2014, 03:53   #1036  |  Link
boyumeow

Please Take Good Care of Yourself, Flu nowadays has became different, and should not be taken lightly. Thanks and take care a lot.

Last edited by boyumeow; 10th June 2014 at 03:56.
boyumeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:54   #1037  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.10 has been released
https://github.com/lordmulder/LameXP/releases/latest

Quote:
Changes between v4.09 and v4.10 [2014-06-23]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 with Update-2
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.6 (2014-04-25), compiled with MSVC 12.0
* Updated Opus libraries v1.1.x and Opus-Tools v0.1.8 to latest Git Master (2014-04-13)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.69 (2014-04-26), compiled with ICL 14.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.19.0 (2014-03-08), compiled with GCC 4.8.2
* Fixed a bug that could cause the cover artwork to be lost under certain circumstances
* Fixed "overwrite existing file" mode to NOT delete the input file
* Some more tweaks to the LAME algorithm quality selector
* Added command-line options to adjust the LameXP font size (see FAQ doc for details)
* Various bugfixes and code improvements

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 24th June 2014 at 22:21.
Old 24th June 2014, 06:03   #1038  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

Thank you!
Przemek_Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 16:39   #1039  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.11 Alpha-1
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame...29/2014-06-27/

Quote:
Changes between v4.10 and v4.11 [unreleased]:
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.20.1 (2014-06-17), compiled with GCC 4.9.0
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.87 (2014-06-24), using libvorbis v1.3.4 and aoTuV b6.03_2014
* Updated Vorbis decoder to OggDec v1.10.1 (2014-06-25), using libVorbis v1.3.4
Old 4th July 2014, 02:20   #1040  |  Link
davexnet

I'm curious what switches it sends to the Lame encoder. I set it up to use Version 3.98.4 -
any issue there in terms of the generated switches and compatibility ?

My mp3 came out to be 5.39 MB. using compression/QL2 (default) and Advanced Option/High Quality (default).

However, when I executed Lame from the command line using the same WAV file, I get an mp3 of 5.44 MB.
Why the discrepancy ? Here's my command line:
lame.exe -h -V 2 samp8.wav samp8_cmd_v2qh.mp3
davexnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis