Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th December 2011, 22:03   #11701  |  Link
Xello

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxnet View Post
I posted up a couple of threads regarding the auto refresh rate in MadVr. I did some more testing and MadVR refresh rate does indeed work. Only on certain videos though. When playing Hancock the refresh rates stays at 60 instead switching to 24.

My chain is Nvidia Audio decoder
NVidia video decoder
MadVr

It may be that the decoder is the culprit, but not sure why the refresh works on some titles and not others. When I press control J the stats show 23.976 for all titles.

Might be a possible bug...

MAK
Not sure, I find the refresh rate changer is working fine, i'm just dying have an option where it changes only in fullscreen.

These are the modes I list in madVR:

1080p60, 1080p50, 1080p24, 1080p23, 1080i60, 1080i50, 1080i24, 1080i23

Also using Reclock 1.8.7.7.

Can you upload a sample of a file where it is not changing for you?
Xello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 23:23   #11702  |  Link
racerxnet

Xello,

What is your chain you are using? All my movies are DVD's ripped to the drive. No BlueRay at all. CCC does not list 23p as a output rate. 24 does show. If you have a DVD of Hancock give it a try and see what your results are. I just downloaded FFDshow and will try that. Using Reclock as well.

MAK
racerxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 23:40   #11703  |  Link
rahzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
That's been there also IIRC about since the 5000 cards came out. AFAIK no one ever figured out what it does, or that it makes any difference in any configuration, at least in the couple extremely long ATI 5000 threads at AVS.
Thanks.

So do most people disable it just in case?
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 00:11   #11704  |  Link
Plutotype

Quote:
Hi and Happy New Year,

I have a LG 42LD450 television and have been trying to use the auto refresh rate of 23.976 to 24.00 and 29.970 to 60 in MadVr/ReClock. When I submit 1080p24 and 1080p60, MadVr will only use the first resolution submitted in the box. The EDID does not list 24p as a standard resolution, but when changing the refresh rate in CCC I am able to output this rate of 24hz.

Here is what I want to do:

23.976 to 24.00 @ 1920 x 1080p 24 exit back to 60p when done
29.970 to 60.00 @ 1920 x 1080p 60 exit back to 60p

My set up is Nvidia audio and video decoder, MadVR, MPC-HC with Media Portal as the front end. I tried Autofrequency with no luck. I followed the guide several times.

WinXP SP3
QX9650 2 gigs ram

Any help would be appreciated in getting this to work.

MAK
Hi,
I think the issue is outside of madVR and we can assign this to faulty drivers. I dont have a Nvidia card to test for 24Hz playback back to 23Hz original, but CCC AMD HD5670 has never showed 23Hz in the refresh rate field ( when entered ) and instead everytime showed wrong value 24Hz ( although being actually set on 23Hz ).

Scenarios:
1. If I have the restore function ON in madVR, 60Hz original rate and madVR changes to 23Hz ( 1080p23 ), it works fine out there and back.
2. If I manually change the rate to 23Hz before opening player with a movie ( value is being showed as 24 during the playback ), going back to 23 after exiting the player has zero effect, because the value 24 is due to the driver bug already there.

Hope this helps.
Pluto
Old 30th December 2011, 01:46   #11705  |  Link
racerxnet

Quote:
Plutotype
Quote:
Hi and Happy New Year,

I have a LG 42LD450 television and have been trying to use the auto refresh rate of 23.976 to 24.00 and 29.970 to 60 in MadVr/ReClock. When I submit 1080p24 and 1080p60, MadVr will only use the first resolution submitted in the box. The EDID does not list 24p as a standard resolution, but when changing the refresh rate in CCC I am able to output this rate of 24hz.

Here is what I want to do:

23.976 to 24.00 @ 1920 x 1080p 24 exit back to 60p when done
29.970 to 60.00 @ 1920 x 1080p 60 exit back to 60p

My set up is Nvidia audio and video decoder, MadVR, MPC-HC with Media Portal as the front end. I tried Autofrequency with no luck. I followed the guide several times.

WinXP SP3
QX9650 2 gigs ram

Any help would be appreciated in getting this to work.

MAK
Hi,
I think the issue is outside of madVR and we can assign this to faulty drivers. I dont have a Nvidia card to test for 24Hz playback back to 23Hz original, but CCC AMD HD5670 has never showed 23Hz in the refresh rate field ( when entered ) and instead everytime showed wrong value 24Hz ( although being actually set on 23Hz ).

Scenarios:
1. If I have the restore function ON in madVR, 60Hz original rate and madVR changes to 23Hz ( 1080p23 ), it works fine out there and back.
2. If I manually change the rate to 23Hz before opening player with a movie ( value is being showed as 24 during the playback ), going back to 23 after exiting the player has zero effect, because the value 24 is due to the driver bug already there.

Hope this helps.
Pluto
Hi Pluto,

Thanks for the info. I can get the refresh rate to change on some movies but not others. I am looking for any clues as to why. Control J reads the rate at 23.976 on movies that work or not with Nvidia decoder. Arcsoft decoder reads 25.00 FPS and it does not refresh on any known movie to work. MPC's internal decoder does not even output any FPS when viewed with control J. Hence no frame rate switching either.

Movies that change refresh rate are 100% repeatable.
Movies that don't work are 100% repeatable in that they won't change refresh rates. This is all SD content ripped to the drive. I tried the disk as well and the results are repeatable as above. It appears to be a bug in Madvr. I will try another driver to be sure.

Thanks for the help so far.

MAk
Old 30th December 2011, 05:06   #11706  |  Link
racerxnet

Auto frequency change

Upon further testing tonight I found that whenever there was no vsync correction in Reclock there would be no auto frequency change from MadVR. It did not matter if the disk was ripped or not, the same results happen. I tried the latest AMD driver and the results were the same. All the new driver did was bork the desktop scaling. Back to 11.3 for me. FFdshow still shows 25.00fps and no luck. I am having limited success with Nvidia Purevideo decoders.

Not sure if Madshi can resolve this or not, but worth taking a look at. This is for SD DVD playback.

SD DVD @ 1920 x 1080p
Latest MPC-HC
Purevideo decoders
080 MadVR
WinXp SP3
ATI 4800 card
Intel QX9650

Thanks,

MAK
Old 30th December 2011, 17:09   #11707  |  Link
Xello

Quote:
Xello,

What is your chain you are using? All my movies are DVD's ripped to the drive. No BlueRay at all. CCC does not list 23p as a output rate. 24 does show. If you have a DVD of Hancock give it a try and see what your results are. I just downloaded FFDshow and will try that. Using Reclock as well.

MAK
I don't have that one. I don't actually have alot of SD content, almost all HD.

I'm also on an Nvidia card so probably different systems altogether here, but I'm using mpchc x32 with lav filter, lav audio decoder, lav video decoder and reclock. I'm not sure if my panel can switch to 23.x hz exactly or not but some things suggest setting this option so i just put in both 23 and 24, and reclock tends to be reporting 23.971hz as my refresh rate when watching stuff. Panel is Panasonic VT30.

I also have everything under the V-sync options in reclock config unticked, as per the guide on homecinema-hd.

Last edited by Xello; 30th December 2011 at 17:27.
Old 30th December 2011, 18:42   #11708  |  Link
HitomiKun

So after my little problem here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...67#post1544667

I passed the information to ffdshow devs like you told me madshi. They told me that it's impossible to fix this and that the container was badly muxed/encoded. I recommend you to check my bugreport here so you may could find a fix for this problem:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...roup_id=173941

Yamagata said that the problem could be fixed if madVR would get the fps rate after recieving the first 3 frames, thus allowing to switch to the right Hz rate. That would may be a good and secure way to get the right fps/hz rate. Just for future containers that muxed the same way.

I used to mux without extra typing the fps rate in MKVToolNix, since MKVToolNix did not complain about any errors and MediaInfo showed the right info. (I think that MKVToolNix did get the right fps, but it didn't store that information on its header) After I remuxed my video with additionally typing the fps rate in MKVToolNix, madVR chose the right Hz rate.
HitomiKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 19:04   #11709  |  Link
e-t172

I just noticed that my GeForce 9400 GPU is too slow to play 1080p30 content (on a 1080p display) using madVR with default options. So I need to lighten the load a little bit. The problem goes away if use 10-bit precision chroma *and* luma buffers, or if I disable dithering. Switching chroma upscaling algorithms doesn't seem to make much difference.

I have two questions:
- Is there anything else I can try to improve performance? Note that I'm using CUVID for decoding.
- If not, what's the best option between using 10-bit for chroma and luma, or disabling dithering?

Last edited by e-t172; 30th December 2011 at 19:23.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 19:11   #11710  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitomiKun View Post
So after my little problem here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...67#post1544667

I passed the information to ffdshow devs like you told me madshi. They told me that it's impossible to fix this and that the container was badly muxed/encoded. I recommend you to check my bugreport here so you may could find a fix for this problem:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...roup_id=173941

Yamagata said that the problem could be fixed if madVR would get the fps rate after recieving the first 3 frames, thus allowing to switch to the right Hz rate. That would may be a good and secure way to get the right fps/hz rate. Just for future containers that muxed the same way.

I used to mux without extra typing the fps rate in MKVToolNix, since MKVToolNix did not complain about any errors and MediaInfo showed the right info. (I think that MKVToolNix did get the right fps, but it didn't store that information on its header) After I remuxed my video with additionally typing the fps rate in MKVToolNix, madVR chose the right Hz rate.
The Windows MKVMerge GUI warns that inputting a value for FPS is mandatory with h264 streams otherwise it will assume 25FPS I believe. No such warning with the CLI?
Old 30th December 2011, 19:50   #11711  |  Link
JarrettH

There's something different in 0.80 that is completely messing up things for DVD playback. I start a DVD in Open Disc, it switches resolution, I get Macrovision Fail (monitor stays in 50hz), then I go Open Disc again and the DVD can play. I've also noticed very often menus can fail to navigate and MPC will utterly crash.

Last edited by JarrettH; 30th December 2011 at 19:54.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 20:04   #11712  |  Link
SamuelMaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
There's something different in 0.80 that is completely messing up things for DVD playback. I start a DVD in Open Disc, it switches resolution, I get Macrovision Fail (monitor stays in 50hz), then I go Open Disc again and the DVD can play. I've also noticed very often menus can fail to navigate and MPC will utterly crash.
That is strange, because I feel that 0.80 has fixed mpc-hc freezes and I was able to navigate DVD-menus, which was a pain before But, I quess these "fixes" are not related to madVR, so make sure you are using the latest version of mpc-hc
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 20:09   #11713  |  Link
JarrettH

I'm going back to 0.79 to double check...

Also, I noticed with Chrome or Aero Composition or something that I occasionally lose the min/max/windowed buttons for my Chrome session and the tabs will become unclickable and I have to right-click the quick launch icon to close window. The window will also It seems like madvr is doing a heck of a lot of work when switching resolutions in 0.80; it blanks out twice recomposing the screen and not very gracefully.

Edit: I just tried 3 DVDs that all previously crashed on menus with 0.80 and they work fine in 0.79. When it does happen the menu basically locks, the cursor does the spinning/timeout animation, MPC soon stops responding and I have to X it out.

Using 3931 of MPC and 3887 before that

@SamuelMaki yeah there were a lot of nice fixes I noticed myself too, I hope I can log something for madshi

Last edited by JarrettH; 30th December 2011 at 20:40.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 20:41   #11714  |  Link
Xello

Quote:
Also, I noticed with Chrome or Aero Composition or something that I occasionally lose the min/max/windowed buttons for my Chrome session and I have to right-click the quick launch icon to close window. It seems like madvr is doing a heck of a lot of work when switching resolutions in 0.80; it blanks out twice recomposing the screen and not very gracefully.
I had this. I ended up doing a system restore and installing mpc+filters again and I haven't had the problem since.

Under rendering > general settings, I have the top 3 options unticked, and every other option ticked, so that it only disables aero when in fullscreen mode. I'd rather not have to disable aero at all but with 24fps AVC i was getting major judder in fullscreen mode with aero active. This is on 0.80.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:45   #11715  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
I just noticed that my GeForce 9400 GPU is too slow to play 1080p30 content (on a 1080p display) using madVR with default options. So I need to lighten the load a little bit. The problem goes away if use 10-bit precision chroma *and* luma buffers, or if I disable dithering. Switching chroma upscaling algorithms doesn't seem to make much difference.

I have two questions:
- Is there anything else I can try to improve performance? Note that I'm using CUVID for decoding.
- If not, what's the best option between using 10-bit for chroma and luma, or disabling dithering?
e-t172,
are you forced to use CUVID? What's your CPU?
In the past I've noticed that using software decoding and leaving the GPU only to madVR gives me better results.
Sorry but I can't recommend which performance setting to enable in madVR.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 00:31   #11716  |  Link
e-t172

Well, I probably could use my CPU for decoding. Problem is, it would run near 100%, and given it's the stock Intel cooler, I would prefer to avoid the added noise.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 01:39   #11717  |  Link
SoBizarre

Quote:
Also, I noticed with Chrome or Aero Composition or something that I occasionally lose the min/max/windowed buttons for my Chrome session and the tabs will become unclickable and I have to right-click the quick launch icon to close window.

So it happens with Chrome too, huh? I thought it was Firefox bug.
Anyway, it seems that's side effect of desktop composition disabling/re-enabling added to madVR. It happens quite often, but I haven't found a way to reproduce it anytime I want.

There's another thing that puzzles me. With the help of AutoHotkey and simple script found on their forums, i made two executables for turning Aero off and back on.
One disables composition and waits for closing the message in order to re-enable it:
Code:
DWM_EC_ENABLECOMPOSITION:=1, DWM_EC_DISABLECOMPOSITION:=0
DllCall("Dwmapi.dll\DwmEnableComposition", "UInt", DWM_EC_DISABLECOMPOSITION)
MsgBox, Aero should be off. It should turn back on when 'Ok' is clicked.
The other one disables Aero and immediately re-enables it:
Code:
DllCall("Dwmapi.dll\DwmEnableComposition", "UInt", DWM_EC_DISABLECOMPOSITION)
DllCall("Dwmapi.dll\DwmEnableComposition", "UInt", DWM_EC_ENABLECOMPOSITION)
Although the latter one prevents taskbar from auto-hiding (I must execute it twice to have taskbar hide), it never causes disappearing of Firefox's control buttons. Not to mention the first script have no negative side effects whatsoever. The switching is done more or less the way described on Microsoft's site - script is calling dwmapi.dll. MadVR on the other hand is calling dwmapi.dll only to check if Aero is running, and then is calling uxtheme.dll to disable/re-anable composition (or so it seems - I checked it with API Monitor).

I'll risk sounding extremely stupid , but could it possibly be the cause of disappearing buttons in Firefox and Chrome?

Cheers,
SB
SoBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 02:57   #11718  |  Link
HitomiKun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
The Windows MKVMerge GUI warns that inputting a value for FPS is mandatory with h264 streams otherwise it will assume 25FPS I believe. No such warning with the CLI?
Nope, because I encoded with x264 and output the final file in a mkv container. MKVMerge GUI just gets the fps rate from it. (I'm encoding video and audio separately so I have to remux the finished file from x264.)

By the way...
I just updated my NVIDIA graphic driver to the newest beta driver (I had to because I had some lags and displaybugs in Battlefield 3) and automatic Hz rate change seems to have stopped working entirely. I'll try to reinstall madVR in a sec and see if that fixes the new problem.

Edit: Nope. Reinstalling didn't solve that new problem. Does madVR always need to be adjusted to a new (main) graphic driver update from NVIDIA/AMD?
The NVIDIA driver I currently use is version 290.53

I just tried a few files with different fps rates, even my container that was muxed badly, it stopped switching completely.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I just went through some logfiles I made and then deleted and readded the 72Hz mode for my screen. That solved the issue. Now back to this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...68#post1547868

Last edited by HitomiKun; 31st December 2011 at 03:23.
HitomiKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 15:14   #11719  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitomiKun View Post
I just updated my NVIDIA graphic driver to the newest beta driver (I had to because I had some lags and displaybugs in Battlefield 3) and automatic Hz rate change seems to have stopped working entirely. I'll try to reinstall madVR in a sec and see if that fixes the new problem.

Edit: Nope. Reinstalling didn't solve that new problem. Does madVR always need to be adjusted to a new (main) graphic driver update from NVIDIA/AMD?
The NVIDIA driver I currently use is version 290.53
I always seem to have issues getting presentation glitch free playback when running beta Nvidia drivers, which is very annoying because usually shortly after there is a WHQL release (every couple of months) there's a new big game release which then requires beta drivers to perform well.

That said, running the 290.53 drivers seems to have fixed an issue I've had for quite some time now, where MPC-HC would freeze up when switching to the next file in fullscreen exclusive mode. (never happened in windowed)

I'll have to check and see if MPC-HC intermittently freezing up when changing resolutions has been fixed too. (though the resolution switcher doesn't seem to work with DVD playback, so I still end up having to switch manually a lot of the time anyway)

It's annoying but I've just learnt to live with it, as I'm sure things will be fixed eventually.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 16:06   #11720  |  Link
KoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by abso View Post
Hi im new here and decided to sign up to ask some questions about madVR.
I installed madvr about a week ago and i rly like the improvement in picture quality. But i have one big problem. Since i installed madVR i get rly short micro judder from time to time (always at same place in a video). I checked my hardware and i only got 20% GPU and 40-50% CPU load. Also i dont have any droped/delayed frames or presentation glitches. I use mpc-hc, LAV, haali combination with madVR. If i run the movie with wmp 12 for example i get no judder at all.

If someone could mb help me with some settings to fix the judder. I am at a point where it is rly freaking me out ^^

PC is a 8800GTS 512 and a C2D @ 3,4 ghz 4GB ram
I'm also having micro-stutters with madVR, as opposed to EVR, for instance. It happnes not only with v0.8, but also with v0.79. I have not tried with older versions.

This happens on any 23.976 video material, played on a 60Hz (actually 59.6Hz) display monitor. And it's most visible on panning shots, or white-on-black movie end scrolling credits. In the other cases it probably still happens, but it doesn't jump out to me like in those two cases.

The playback chain is exactly the same in both cases: MPC-HC + Haali for mkv splitting + LAV filters for video and audio decoding:
- when using EVR as renderer, the flow of the video is smooth, although a little blurry
- when using madVR, the image is crisp, the flow is smooth until it suddenly jitters a bit, then smooth again, then it jitters again

This is very easy to reproduce with any 23.976fps mkv, on the movie scrolling credits, I believe.

Last edited by KoD; 31st December 2011 at 16:09.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling