Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th January 2021, 09:00   #561  |  Link
zeus0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
@zeus0r - Try this: Set "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to 1 or 3 (madVR settings->rendering->windowed mode and/or exclusive mode) and/or enable VSYNC in the Nvidia drivers.
i'll try that, thanks!

// EDIT

lowering "frames presented in advance" doesn't help, still those super weird micro stutters.. but they only occur in fullscreen (FSE 10 bit), windowed everything is fine. any ideas?

Last edited by zeus0r; 6th January 2021 at 14:06.
zeus0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2021, 20:13   #562  |  Link
VBB

FSE shouldn't be used anymore. Do you see the stutter with Windowed FS? EDIT: If I read your answer above correctly, you already said it fixes it. So, yeah, use WFS instead
Old 7th January 2021, 14:39   #563  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Hi,

Does anyone know why my AVR is not showing in device list in madvr?
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2021, 19:32   #564  |  Link
VBB

What shows instead? The display?
Old 7th January 2021, 19:41   #565  |  Link
maxkolonko123

yes only display
Old 7th January 2021, 19:46   #566  |  Link
VBB

Ok, and is your display connected to the AVR or connected straight to the PC?
Old 7th January 2021, 23:37   #567  |  Link
maxkolonko123

I have two connections from my pc, one directly to display - TV one to TV trough avr depends if I want to use home theatre or no.

But either way it doesn't shows up devices list.

Just to make it clear about connections so 1: is pc hdmi out to TV hdmi 2: is pc hdmi out to avr hdmi in - > avr hdmi out to TV hdmi in

And the odd thing is sometimes it does shows up but mostly not, as we speak I have it on right trough avr and there is only display in devices list

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 7th January 2021 at 23:42.
Old 8th January 2021, 06:23   #568  |  Link
Asmodian

Perhaps the AVR can passthrough the TV's EDID? Have you tried with the TV's HDMI unplugged?
Old 8th January 2021, 09:01   #569  |  Link
maxkolonko123

but how this would happen? i have disabled cec in avr so it shouldnt work as passthrough, and then how avr would send signal to pc when hdmi out from avr is only to tv ?

actually you right, disconnected tv from pc and left just the avr to tv and its showed up : now i have avr in devices list + ? display connected to MRX 720 shall i use same settings my main display in madvr devices?

ok so i went into my avr identification tab - > output device tab and chose there current device connected to receiver LG TV so that should be all fine now

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 8th January 2021 at 09:08.
Old 8th January 2021, 19:57   #570  |  Link
VBB

Max, are you using a Yamaha receiver by any chance? I've seen them pass the EDID right through, like Asmodian suggested.

EDIT: I realized it's an Anthem. Not sure if they pass the EDID through or not, but it's possible.

Last edited by VBB; 8th January 2021 at 20:08.
VBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2021, 07:27   #571  |  Link
maxkolonko123

@VBB

It looks like this is whats happening, once i disconnected hdmi from pc to TV and just left AVR hooked to tv it did showed up in device list in madvr
Old 11th January 2021, 09:01   #572  |  Link
Kl3r

Hi! I'm currently using MPC-BE in its latest stable version. I have a simple 1080p screen (no HDR).

Is it interesting for me to install madVR?

Thank you !
Kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 20:05   #573  |  Link
VBB

Which video card do you have? madVR is very GPU intensive.
Old 12th January 2021, 00:49   #574  |  Link
Kl3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Which video card do you have? madVR is very GPU intensive.
RTX 2060 (CPU Ryzen 5 2600X).
Kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2021, 01:06   #575  |  Link
VBB

That's a decent card. Might as well give madVR a try
Old 4th December 2021, 12:16   #576  |  Link
Ultimathor

This post was originally posted on AVS in a incorrect thread. I’ve moved this post here as it’s both a computer setup question and general madVR question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimathor, post: 61229527, member: 9528157
I've been getting madVR up and running on a HTPC with a MSI 3060 TI Ventus 2x 8G OCV graphics card. I can get everything to work in madVR but am a little disappointed with the GPU performance. I need to put everything i medium to avoid micro stuttering. I can play 4K 23p HDR in high with rendering times around 29 ms and all the queues filled up and it looks amazing but there are micro stutters every 30 seconds or so. It helps a bit to remove the black bars but even with that, I have to set everything to medium under scaling to have a watchable quality.

I'm thinking that there might be something wrong with either my graphics card or my HTPC. Sometimes, when I make a change to a setting in madVR and press apply, the computer crashes and reboots. Today, I tried running the MSI Afterburner utility to see if I could gain a bit from OC'ing the card. About 40 pct. into the test, the GPU was 1845 MHz and the Vram was at 7000 MHz and the temperature was 63 degrees centigrade and the computer crashed. I rebooted and tried once more and the same thing happened again at the same progress in the test. So something in my systems is not running as it's supposed to, I think. The HTPC is an old system with a 3.2 GHz i5 Windows 10 Pro clean instal with the latest studio drivers from Nvidias site (472.47). In addition to this, there's the problem I was writing about in an earlier post, where HDR movies send HDR output to my Vertex2 despite the fact that madVR outputs DCI-P3 SDR material. It turns out that Claw has the same problem with his 3080 TI card.

I'm new to madVR so I'm a bit unsure as to how to troubleshoot the situation to determine if anythings faulty or I just have to live with the medium settings. Is this consistent with other 3060 TI owners' experiences?

I appreciate your thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn, post: 61230102, member: 8509242
500 PSU doesn't really mean anything a good 350 watt PSU can provide more power and "better" power than a 500 watt PSU.
so first ask for the PSU in use before he replaces it with anything.
because he has an old CPU he could have a really bad PSU or just a aged PSU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimathor, post: 61230860, member: 9528157
The PSU I have is an Inter-Tech Energon EPS-550W. Intertech is a German computer case and power supply manufacturer.

I bought the HTPC used and upgraded the graphics card. The guy I bought it from said that he'd upgraded the PSU a couple of years ago. It has only a 6 pin power connector so I had to use a 6 to 8 pin molex converter to connect to the graphics card.

I have read that madVR barely uses the CPU so I figured that it would be OK with an old i5 CPU. Do you think that could play a role?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCharky, post: 61230894, member: 9058249
It you don't actually drop frames, it's a known issue. In the madVR settings, go to rendering -> windowed mode settings, and set 'how many video frames shall be presented in advance' to 1.
Same for fullscreen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn, post: 61230908, member: 8509242
this is a 450 watt PSU sold as a 550. your GPU is only 200.
could be the PSU thanks to age it's not a good one anyway but i clearly have seen worse. i only judge the specification which is may or may not hold true.
the PSU is also a 4 rail PSU so the adapter can overload a rail.

if the i5 is technically working than your PC wouldn't crash speed is hard to judge because there are countless things you can do wit a PC at the same time but for madVR playback using hardware decoder it should be very very bored. if it is a 3000 series (and a mainboard support 3000 series features) or better i5 you should be fine for nearly all setup according to madVR features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimathor, post: 61230937, member: 9528157
[USER=9058249]@DocCharky[/USER], that was a great suggestions. I can now play 4K HDR 23p movies in high settings without micro stuttering.

As written above, I can now play 4K HDR 23p movies in high settings. However, if I try to pause the movie and move to a different time, the computer crashes and reboots. If I try to change the settings under scaling - algorithm to NGU Sharp very high - the computer crashes. After the reboot, I can play the movie at very high settings and with rendering time of around 30 ms but when I want to move to another time, the computer crashes.

The graphics card is a 3060 TI but I'm not sure if the motherboard supports all features as it's probably 7-8 years old. I only use the HTPC for madVR so there are not a lot of other things running at the same time. The CPU is an i5-4460.

I've ordered a new PSU and will try it out to see if that helps. If not, I'll return it and then I'll have to look elsewhere for the cause of the problem.
Ultimathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 12:51   #577  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Your PSU is insufficient for your GPU. Four 18A rails may work, but your PSU does not have the proper PCI-e connectors. Using SATA/Molex adapters is never a good idea

QB
Old 4th December 2021, 13:32   #578  |  Link
huhn

you should also check the event log just in case but even if your PSU isn't the issue replace that old unit is not a waist in this case as long as you don't order an really expensive unit or a really bad one.

adapter on a good one rail units is plausible but there are no decent PSU sold anymore without at least one PCIe 6+2 connector. if you can avoid them avoid them.

4 rails with 18 A would be 864 watts but that's the spec on that "PSU".
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 13:42   #579  |  Link
Ultimathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Your PSU is insufficient for your GPU. Four 18A rails may work, but your PSU does not have the proper PCI-e connectors. Using SATA/Molex adapters is never a good idea

QB
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you should also check the event log just in case but even if your PSU isn't the issue replace that old unit is not a waist in this case as long as you don't order an really expensive unit or a really bad one.

adapter on a good one rail units is plausible but there are no decent PSU sold anymore without at least one PCIe 6+2 connector. if you can avoid them avoid them.

4 rails with 18 A would be 864 watts but that's the spec on that "PSU".
Thanks for the input. I've ordered a new setup with a EVGA 750 GQ 80+ PSU (link). I expect that it will be be sufficient.
Ultimathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 14:29   #580  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Indeed that should be a good unit... Probably overkill, but a good PSU is never a bad investment.

QB