Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 21st September 2009, 01:28   #5781  |  Link
dragonkeeper

I to was having the x264 crash with the following error msg:Assertion failed: dpb_output_delay < pow( 2, sps->vui.nal_hrd_parameters.i_dpb_output_delay_length but using the patched x264 exe that Atak linked to appears to have corrected this problem. Will know in 9 hr or so . Thx for all your hard work Atak.
On another note i recently upgraded my Media PC to a Phenom 9950 (2.6GHz BE Quad Core), 4 GB of 1066Ghz ram, ATI 4350 HD video card, and two 1TB Hard drives, OS Windows XP SP3 on a separate 40 GB drive. I'm getting about 4 fps while encoding first pass Is this the norm?
2. From what i have read in the forums upgrading to the 64bit version of XP will net me about a 10% performance gain. Does the same hold true for Windows 7?
3. How big of a gain can i expect if i over clock my system to 3GHz?
dragonkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 03:04   #5782  |  Link
kikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrder View Post
Well, it works that way for me.

Using .3. I had some issues with .4.
Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. When you load the M2TS, and you select the TrueHD audio stream, you do NOT have the option of 'copy stream' for an MKV, as that would require Ripbot to extract the core AC3 from the TrueHD stream. Instead, Ripbot decompresses the TrueHD to PCM (*.WAV) in the temp folder.

UNLESS, I'm missing something strange here, where perhaps my machine possesses a special TrueHD decoder for which you do not have on your system. That could explain what you think to be an AC3 extraction from the original stream.

Can any confirm what I'm talking about here?

Last edited by kikker; 21st September 2009 at 03:14.
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 07:57   #5783  |  Link
dragonkeeper

Help Quad Core is only getting 4fps@first pass and slighty over 2fps on second pass.

After spending most of the day reading the forums and searching the web, I am unable to find a resolution for my problem. Ripbot is running extremely slow. My system specs are as follows:
  • WinXP Sp3 (fresh install)
  • 4gb of 1066 ram
  • ATI 4350 HD video card
  • 2- 1TB hard drives (recently formatted\installed for this PC build)
HD content has been ripped to my hard drive. I am currently trying to convert Heroes 1080P HD DVD(VC-1 title) to mkv. Only converting one episode while i try to figure out best settings to use. Episodes are just under an hour in length. I demuxed the evo file using eac3to, and converted the AC3+ audio to AC3 audio using eac3to.
Encoding settings are as follow:
  • Profile=HD BluRay Consoles(no changes)
  • Mode=2-Pass
  • Lock Size=2000(I figure 2 gig is good enough for an hour of video @ this setting KPBS average 4800)
The issue is that the encode is taking what seems to be an abnormally long time. First pass ran at about 4fps and took almost 5 hours. Second pass is running at around 2fps with an eta of 8 hours. Form what I've seen in benchmarks and read in the forums i should be seeing much better performance than this. Any one have any thoughts as to where my problem my lies. By the way this is on my media PC and there are no other apps running(with the exception of VNC, I control the Media Center with a tablet PC) I also have terminated all unnecessary processes.
I am running RipBot264 v1.14.4, any thoughts on what could be causing my issue?
Old 21st September 2009, 07:58   #5784  |  Link
RainyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
send me 50 mb sample. Use DGSplit and www.mediafire.com
Thanks Atak but I managed to sort it. I used TS Muxer to remove the pulldown but instead of demuxing, remuxed into a new .ts which loaded into Ripbot with the correct framerate and running length. The only thing left is the audio as I'm trying to pair the DTS track from my DVD which is a few seconds shorter than the video and so gradually drifts out of sync. But I'll try using MKV Merge's stretch function and see if that does the trick...
RainyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 14:41   #5785  |  Link
wakebrder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikker View Post
Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. When you load the M2TS, and you select the TrueHD audio stream, you do NOT have the option of 'copy stream' for an MKV, as that would require Ripbot to extract the core AC3 from the TrueHD stream. Instead, Ripbot decompresses the TrueHD to PCM (*.WAV) in the temp folder.

UNLESS, I'm missing something strange here, where perhaps my machine possesses a special TrueHD decoder for which you do not have on your system. That could explain what you think to be an AC3 extraction from the original stream.

Can any confirm what I'm talking about here?
I'm making AVC-HD not MKV, could that be the difference?

TSMuxer has no problem extracting the core from HD audio and Ripbot264 uses TSMuxer so, what else would "Copy Stream" mean?

Could you comment on this Atak?
wakebrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 14:49   #5786  |  Link
PSPNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonkeeper View Post
2. From what i have read in the forums upgrading to the 64bit version of XP will net me about a 10% performance gain. Does the same hold true for Windows 7?
3. How big of a gain can i expect if i over clock my system to 3GHz?
2. Yes, around 10% or less.

3. In my experience, x264 scales rather linearly with clock speed (I am using an overclocked i7 920), so you should see at least 10% gain moving from 2.66 -> 3 GHz
PSPNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 15:14   #5787  |  Link
kikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrder View Post
I'm making AVC-HD not MKV, could that be the difference?

TSMuxer has no problem extracting the core from HD audio and Ripbot264 uses TSMuxer so, what else would "Copy Stream" mean?
Yes, it would be easy to extract the core, but this does not happen. Any TrueHD audio track you select will be demuxed to *.WAV, which is PCM, or uncompressed audio (think HUGE file size). Check it out for yourself in the temp folder. It is a *.WAV file and very big. You wouldn't want to 'copy stream' this *.WAV into a MKV, as that wouldn't make much sense. You *can* 'copy stream' it into an AVCHD, or Blu-Ray format, but it is larger than the original TrueHD, which also doesn't make much sense to do. That is why you have the 'copy stream' option for the AVCHD output. Just because you see 'copy stream' as an option does not mean it's extracting the core AC3 from the TrueHD source. But, as I said before, giving the user the option to extract the core AC3 would be a very easy thing to implement by Atak. Lastly, eac3to is extracting the streams in Ripbot, not Tsmuxer.
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 19:15   #5788  |  Link
dragonkeeper

@ PSPNut
Thanks for the confirmation, now if only I could figure what's dragging my system down I'll be good to go.
Old 22nd September 2009, 00:35   #5789  |  Link
wakebrder

Quote:
Yes, it would be easy to extract the core, but this does not happen. Any TrueHD audio track you select will be demuxed to *.WAV, which is PCM, or uncompressed audio (think HUGE file size). Check it out for yourself in the temp folder. It is a *.WAV file and very big. You wouldn't want to 'copy stream' this *.WAV into a MKV, as that wouldn't make much sense. You *can* 'copy stream' it into an AVCHD, or Blu-Ray format, but it is larger than the original TrueHD, which also doesn't make much sense to do. That is why you have the 'copy stream' option for the AVCHD output. Just because you see 'copy stream' as an option does not mean it's extracting the core AC3 from the TrueHD source. But, as I said before, giving the user the option to extract the core AC3 would be a very easy thing to implement by Atak. Lastly, eac3to is extracting the streams in Ripbot, not Tsmuxer.
You are correct. I have no idea what version this was changed in.

This does not make any sense to me why Ripbot would extract the core of DTS-MA, but not True-HD. Strange....

BTW, I sent you a PM.
wakebrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 00:59   #5790  |  Link
JohnnyB.Good

Using Windows Vista. Got an error with the latest version 1.14.4, 0% audio enconding error%. Settings Aftern 5.1 on a DTS Master audio track (The Thing) I tried reinstalling ffdshow... nothing, same error. Went back to 1.14.3 and it works beautifully.
JohnnyB.Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 01:52   #5791  |  Link
slow4mula

Quote:
After spending most of the day reading the forums and searching the web, I am unable to find a resolution for my problem. Ripbot is running extremely slow. My system specs are as follows:
  • 4gb of 1066 ram
  • ATI 4350 HD video card
HD content has been ripped to my hard drive. I am currently trying to convert Heroes 1080P HD DVD(VC-1 title) to mkv. Only converting one episode while i try to figure out best settings to use. Episodes are just under an hour in length. I demuxed the evo file using eac3to, and converted the AC3+ audio to AC3 audio using eac3to.
  • Mode=2-Pass
  • Lock Size=2000(I figure 2 gig is good enough for an hour of video @ this setting KPBS average 4800)
The issue is that the encode is taking what seems to be an abnormally long time. First pass ran at about 4fps and took almost 5 hours. Second pass is running at around 2fps with an eta of 8 hours. Form what I've seen in benchmarks and read in the forums i should be seeing much better performance than this. Any one have any thoughts as to where my problem my lies. By the way this is on my media PC and there are no other apps running(with the exception of VNC, I control the Media Center with a tablet PC) I also have terminated all unnecessary processes.
you posted system specs, but not the processor you are running which is what x264 uses to transcode.

you will get crap speed like that doing 1080p transcoding with an older cpu.

i tried a 1080p transcode from bluray->avchd on a core 2 duo laptop and i got crap speeds like that (2-4fps 2nd pass).

you need a core 2 quad at minimum and a core i7 setup if you can afford it.

my core i7 based xeon @ 4ghz ranges from 14-20 fps 2nd pass default settings when doing bluray->avchd @ 1080p to fit a dvd-dl disc. if i do a blu-ray to bd-r it is even slower (10-15fps).

i bet you are using an older dual core processor.

you gotta pay to play

fyi; you might have been looking at 720p benchmarks, which will be at least twice as fast as 1080p benchmarks. using that graysky 720p x264 benchmarks i get 100+fps first pass and ~40fps second pass.

Last edited by slow4mula; 22nd September 2009 at 01:58.
slow4mula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 01:56   #5792  |  Link
slow4mula

Quote:
i agree when selecting to output to bd-r backup size (23830) then "stream copy" should become an available option so ripbot will just demux unaltered hd audio (true-hd, dts-ma hd, lpcm). lpcm might have to be converted to w64 wav if tsmuxer will not mux the unaltered lpcm from a bluray. the only blu-rays i have run into that came with a lpcm track were the harry potter movies and nin halo 22.
Old 22nd September 2009, 03:45   #5793  |  Link
dragonkeeper

@slow4mula

Quote:
you posted system specs, but not the processor you are running which is what x264 uses to transcode
Thanks for the feed back.
I'm running a (Quad core) 9950BE at the stock 2.6GHz, will be overclocking to 3.0GHz when new cooler and video card arrive.
Old 22nd September 2009, 04:08   #5794  |  Link
TotalHavoc

Is there anyway to prevent the down conversion of DTS-MA 24bit to Flac 16bit? Can I just go into the Blu-Ray_ExtractStreams.cmd and delete -down16, then rerun that cmd file? If I do that what do I do next?
TotalHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 05:07   #5795  |  Link
8ternity

Quote:
  • 4gb of 1066 ram
  • ATI 4350 HD video card
  • Mode=2-Pass
What i can recommand you, install windows vista home premium 32-bit with sp1 preinstalled, and make all updates. for the machine you describe, it's an great os and much more stable!

i just change my processor dual core for an quad cores without reformating windows after make the processor upgrades and 1pass was pretty fast for 1080p (3h30 for 1-pass) more than 13fps

see my snapshot tryout

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...09#post1322609

btw
Old 22nd September 2009, 06:22   #5796  |  Link
dragonkeeper

@ 8ternity

Thx for the info.

Quote:
What i can recommend you, install windows vista home premium
I loath the Vista OS like I've loathed no other, I hardly ever use my laptop because of it (would have switched to a Linux flavor or even XP if i could have found drivers for nic card.) At least MS admits they dropped the ball on that one. Will be getting Window 7 Ultimate x64 as soon as it's released in states.

Quote:
(3h30 for 1-pass) more than 13fps
Very nice, I was guesstimating that i would be somewhere in the ballpark of 7 - 11 fps, 2fps is totally unacceptable considering that this hardware was purchased to make encoding my Blu-Ray and HD DVD collection possible. At this rate i could switch back to my Athlon X2 @ 2.8GHz and get a 30% speed increase.

I see that you were running Ripbot264 version 1.11.5.
  1. Have you done an encode with the latest version? (It may be me but it seems that some of the applications that RipBot uses are hit or miss with some processors cough, cough, AMD.)
  2. If so did you see any changes in your FPS?
I'm just curious to now if the version change is having an impact. I believe I was running 1.13.1 on my dual core, I'm no exactly sure as it's been about 6-8 months ago.

At the moment i'm preparing to run stress test (memtest86+, Sp2004, prime95) on the system to see if they reveal anything. I built this system about 5 moths ago and it's just been sitting collecting dust I don't remember running stress test at that time which is something i always do with new builds.

BTW: If any one is looking toi build a new HTPC from scratch look at the ASRock boards with Instant Boot. My system boots in under 10 seconds, it's pretty sweet.
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:57   #5797  |  Link
dragonkeeper

O.k total weirdness today. I have not made any modifications to my system and today for some strange reason I'm getting 13 - 15 fps on first pass, and 8.1 - 8.7 FPS on second pass. This is about 3 times faster that i posted previously. Has any one else seen behavior like this?
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:17   #5798  |  Link
PSPNut

Quote:
I have not made any modifications to my system and today for some strange reason I'm getting 13 - 15 fps on first pass, and 8.1 - 8.7 FPS on second pass. This is about 3 times faster that i posted previously. Has any one else seen behavior like this?
Yes, it was caused by my CPU overheating (fan fell off) and it underclocked itself.

Maybe yours was overheating previously?
PSPNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:00   #5799  |  Link
dragonkeeper

THX PSPNut, i believe that you are correct. My idle tmps are hovering around 45 degrees. During my last encode i noticed tmps reaching as high as 65 degrees. Hopefully my new cooler will be in today.
Old 25th September 2009, 01:37   #5800  |  Link
slow4mula

Quote:
THX PSPNut, i believe that you are correct. My idle tmps are hovering around 45 degrees. During my last encode i noticed tmps reaching as high as 65 degrees. Hopefully my new cooler will be in today.
those temps are normal for an intel quad core on air.

with the best aircooling an overclocked core i7 will go over 80 degrees celcius when overclocked at 100% load.

i need to use watercooling to keep my i7 920 @ 4.0 ghz at ~65C when under full load on all cores.

13/15 first pass and 7/8 second pass would be right about what i would expect @ 1080p. that's about what my old q6600 @ 3.0 ghz would spit out.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360