Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th September 2015, 21:33   #32841  |  Link
XMonarchY

Yey me! I made NVidia listen, I think...

Here's my "Bug Report":
Quote:
Good morning, NVidia!

I would like to contact a higher-level technician to communicate a problem that affects GeForce drivers for Windows 10.

At the moment, there is only one Windows 10 driver (353.49 Hotfix driver) that supports required OpenCL extensions to run all the features of madVR renderer, which is a very popular, important, prominent, and well-known mainstream renderer in the field of HTPC's. Other drivers, such as the latest 353.62 WHQL driver does NOT come with appropriate OpenCL extension - "cl_nv_d3d9_sharing" or "cl_khr_dx9_media_sharing" , which are required for madVR's important features, such as NNEDI3 chroma upscaling, to work. Basically, the latest NVidia Windows 10 drivers lack D3D9 <-> OpenCL interop support!!!

NVidia Windows 7/8/8.1 drivers always came with these important OpenCL extensions and it is vital that NVidia re-introduces these extensions and D3D9 <-> OpenCL interop support in Windows 10 drivers.

Please understand that the issue is in NVidia drivers and lack of proper OpenCL extensions and D3D9 <-> OpenCL Interop support. The issue is NOT within madVR, which simply relies on OpenCL to provide the best quality rendering.

At the moment AMD drivers appropriately support D3D9 <-> OpenCL Interop in Windows 10, while NVidia Windows 10 drivers do not. This may affect people's decisions and push them towards buying AMD cards due to more complete OpenCL driver support for madVR.

I cannot stress enough the importance of inclusion needed OpenCL extensions in NVidia Windows 10 drivers.

Doom9, HTPC, and madVR communities would at least like to know whether NVidia plans of re-introducing appropriate D3D9 <-> OpenCL Interop support and extensions in future Windows 10 drivers.

Please visit this thread for more information - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

Sincerely,
Response:
Quote:
Hello ,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care. We're extremely sorry for the delay in getting back to you .

Your case is being escalated to our Level-2 team. The technician from the Level-2 team will review the case notes and will contact you as soon they can to assist or point you in the right direction.

Best Regards,
Abrar
NVIDIA Customer Care
And THEN:
Quote:
Hi Sergey,

The case was escalated to me. We have received reports of this issue and have replicated the failure in our lab. The bug has been escalated to our development team to investigate. Thanks for bring this to our attention.

Best regards,
Ray
I know I am not a beneficial contributor in this thread, but I'm trying , although I think madshi has a more direct communication with NVidia developers.

Last edited by XMonarchY; 9th September 2015 at 23:46.
Old 9th September 2015, 21:44   #32842  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Ok, if there really is no content at all, it makes of course sense to not slavishly stick to the specs.
that was about two years ago.

i'm pretty sure this will change again when the UBD is out.

and if you see a stream that's not correctly flag bring it up to the maker of the stream
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 08:48   #32843  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Does using a different (older or newer) GPU driver help, maybe?

I've updated to a new Windows 10 Beta driver and it didn't make a difference. Still getting inordinately long wait times when any type of image doubling is used. It actually skips 500-700 frames before I actually get an image on screen including using NNEDI3. With NNEDI3 I am still getting an embossed effect with the image. Also, I didn't notice until someone posted about it but, madVR isn't using FSE mode in FS only FS windowed. I tried switching to from using D3D11 to using D3D9 and that didn't make a difference either.
I also tried using a very, very old build of MPC-HC (actually JanWillem32's) and I am getting the exact same behavior as with the latest stable main branch build of MPC-HC.
Also thank you for not leaving Windows 10 users till later and addressing our issues now.
Old 10th September 2015, 12:34   #32844  |  Link
fedpul

madshi, I have been doing several tests and finally I was able to identify what was causing the crashes with JRiver MC 20. It was NNEDI. The instant I choose it as Luma Doubling, then stop the movie, then click play and it crashes instantly. Also I find another problem, DX11 windowed mode is very slow (at the point i can't even use Super-XBR) in comparison with DX9 windowed, there is no such difference in FSE.

My hardware is:
CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 GHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7870 OC @ 1100/1375 MHz

If you need more info, or want me to test more things just tell me.

Thanks
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 14:22   #32845  |  Link
Sunset1982

@ madshi

I updated madvr from 0.88.21 to 0.89.2 today. Now madvr crashes everytime I start a movie. Send you the crashlog via madvr.

when I reset to defaults, movie starts but I got a big red "out of memory" message on screen. When I set up my prefered options in madvr it crashes again.

reverting back to 0.88.21 does not cure the problem even if I reset to default settings...

Edit: problem solved. Wrong bios setting (PCI-E Lanes "16/0" instead of "Auto"; changed it to Auto solved the problem) Now everything works great with 0.89.2

Last edited by Sunset1982; 11th September 2015 at 13:21.
Sunset1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 14:29   #32846  |  Link
daert

I have a general question: does overlay work in d3d11? I mean: if I use d3d9, osd shows d3d9 fullscreen overlay, but if I choose d3d11, it shows d3d11 fullscreen windowed (without the "overlay")
daert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 14:36   #32847  |  Link
ibius

It does not.
ibius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 14:40   #32848  |  Link
Sunset1982

someone has a link to the registry hack or the thread page to force madvr to use nvidia gpu instead of onboard gpu?
Old 10th September 2015, 14:52   #32849  |  Link
daert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post
It does not.
Thanks
daert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 17:01   #32850  |  Link
CiNcH

I still have the failing DXVA processing with .2 when switching channels (1080i) with a subsequent switch-off of the deinterlacing.
Old 10th September 2015, 20:05   #32851  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

i have a strange problem with the new MADVR version...
ussually i double klick the media player, (mpchc) to go into fullscreen.

anyway, sometimes, mostly, when i go into fullscreen i only see 1/4 of teh picture. its like zooomes way in, and i cant seem to change it at all..

i have to restart the player like 8 times, till it goes correctly into fullscreen..
dunno what is doing this, but 0.88.21 works as it should...

if you need more infos i would be glad to post em..

greetz
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 20:32   #32852  |  Link

Not a big deal, but I noticed that the screenshot function in JRiver MC seems to grab the full frame rather than the crop.

As I understand it, the screenshot function is supposed to grab an unscaled image, so this is probably intentional, but I think I've only ever used the feature to grab thumbnails for videos so it would actually be preferable to grab a cropped & scaled image. (e.g. aspect ratio correction for anamorphic videos)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 20:56   #32853  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

@madshi: Take a look at this sample AR.ts madVR have troubles to detect black bars after aspect ratio change. Green lines mark wrong area.

Last edited by kasper93; 10th September 2015 at 21:06.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 03:45   #32854  |  Link
Magik Mark

I have a 10bit video. It turns out madvr doesn't do chroma upscaling anymore. Is there a way for madvr to REDO the chroma upscaling?
Magik Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 03:56   #32855  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
I have a 10bit video. It turns out madvr doesn't do chroma upscaling anymore. Is there a way for madvr to REDO the chroma upscaling?
I can assure you that madVR does chroma upscaling with 10-bit video. At least my experience with 10-bit video is normal with v0.89.2.

What makes you believe madVR is no longer doing chroma upscaling?
Old 11th September 2015, 04:54   #32856  |  Link
FreeFall

madshi,

Thanks for your continued development of madVR. I'm having trouble with a couple of videos using the new detect black bars function.

Using MPC-HC, keep aspect ratio is disabled and stretch to window enabled (video frame options).

This Pillarboxed Blu-ray Disc doesn't want to scale to the screen resolution (1920*1080).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4qayrnseh...test1.zip?dl=0

I'm not sure if you can improve things with this DVD, fast scene / AR changes, detection is a bit slow. The subtitles also get cut off.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5z81qo74ht...test2.zip?dl=0
FreeFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 06:44   #32857  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I can assure you that madVR does chroma upscaling with 10-bit video. At least my experience with 10-bit video is normal with v0.89.2.

What makes you believe madVR is no longer doing chroma upscaling?
I have 10bit x265. Pressing ctrl j does not indicate chroma upscaling. Using gtx 960 & dxva copy back in latest lav. Is there a setting that I'm missing? Only happening in 10bit x265. 8bit has no problem at all
Magik Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 07:38   #32858  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
I have 10bit x265. Pressing ctrl j does not indicate chroma upscaling.
Perhaps, video is 4:4:4 already? OSD screenshot would help a lot.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 09:36   #32859  |  Link
SweetLow

madshi, thanks for new option of disable scaling video of near view size from lazy people
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 09:57   #32860  |  Link
panetesan2k6

Hi everyone.

I wonder if someone could elaborate on why this happens:

I use my laptop to play media on my FullHD tv through HDMI, with MPC-HC and MadVR. The laptop being 1366x768, I don't clone or extend desktops, I rather make the TV the only screen when HDMI is connected. Usually I do one of these two things: Start up the laptop with the HDMI already connected, having to log in to Windows through my tv, or having the laptop on, connect the HDMI cable so the desktop moves to the tv.

Yesterday I watched smoothly several tv shows and today they played horrible, unwatchable, with heavy frame skipping. I didn't use the laptop for anything else, I didn't change anything... so I soon realized the what happened: Yesterday, I booted up the computer with the HDMI already connected, and today I hooked it up after the computer started up. So, I shut it down, started up again with HDMI already connected and it played all files as smoothly as yesterday.

Is this a driver related thing? MadVR showed the same info on both scenearios, apart from the frame skipping. I could make some screenshots.

Thank you.

Last edited by panetesan2k6; 11th September 2015 at 09:58. Reason: Thanking
panetesan2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling