Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 14th January 2015, 06:53   #721  |  Link
sneaker_ger

This is not the fault of xy-vsfilter/XySubFilter but of the splitter/container format. The subtitle in e.g. mkv is stored at 2:00 and if you skip to 2:03 it might not be read by the splitter and consequently never forwarded to xy-vsfilter/XySubFilter. New additions to mkv could be used to fix this but a patch for LAV splitter with support has not been accepted.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 07:13   #722  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
This is not the fault of xy-vsfilter/XySubFilter but of the splitter/container format.
So it would seem the fix is to simply remux with MKVToolNix 7.0.0+
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 07:28   #723  |  Link
sneaker_ger

You would also need a suitable splitter - I only know of the patched LAV build. Vanilla LAV does not. (I can imagine there may be other splitters which handle these situations better than LAV even without the new mkv features, though.)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 07:29   #724  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Internal MPC-BE Matroska Splitter support CueDuration and CueRelativePosition on seek.
Old 13th February 2015, 11:27   #725  |  Link
Neroldy

Wilbert

Maybe the xysubfilter didn't work fine for PGS subtitles in my laptop.
Here are two pictures about the xysubfilter and potplayer.
Attached Images

Neroldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 01:03   #726  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neroldy View Post
Maybe the xysubfilter didn't work fine for PGS subtitles in my laptop.
Here are two pictures about the xysubfilter and potplayer.
Try XySubFilter + EVR-CP in MPC-HC, since they made a change in their subtitle consumer a few months ago so this would no longer happen, and PGS aspect ratio and positions would be maintained (matching their internal ISR behavior). Currently madVR stretches the XySubFilter PGS bitmaps like your left attachment when subtitle aspect ratio doesn't match video aspect ratio (like cropped video). This behavior is actually somewhat intentional for text-based subtitles and the like, but it's ultimately up to the subtitle consumer to decide how fixed resolution PGS bitmaps are displayed. I'd suggest opening a bug on madVR's bug tracker if you find the current behavior undesired.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 03:39   #727  |  Link
Neroldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Try XySubFilter + EVR-CP in MPC-HC, since they made a change in their subtitle consumer a few months ago so this would no longer happen, and PGS aspect ratio and positions would be maintained (matching their internal ISR behavior). Currently madVR stretches the XySubFilter PGS bitmaps like your left attachment when subtitle aspect ratio doesn't match video aspect ratio (like cropped video). This behavior is actually somewhat intentional for text-based subtitles and the like, but it's ultimately up to the subtitle consumer to decide how fixed resolution PGS bitmaps are displayed. I'd suggest opening a bug on madVR's bug tracker if you find the current behavior undesired.

In my laptop, XySubFilter in EVR-CP + MPC-HC/PotPlayer doesn't work, it seems XySubFilter only works on madVR. Like you said, if I use this PGS to match a 1280x720 movie, everything is fine. But for 1280x534, it becomes terrrible.
Another problem is that if I use XySubFilter, the PGS didn't match the movie's original time code, the PGS is faster than the movie nearly 5s. And if I use PotPlayer/MPC-HC without XySubFilter, everything is fine...
Old 14th February 2015, 04:21   #728  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
In my laptop, XySubFilter in EVR-CP + MPC-HC/PotPlayer doesn't work, it seems XySubFilter only works on madVR.
Only MPC-HC and recent MPC-BE 1.4.4.65+ nightly builds support XySubFilter with EVR-CP. If you are sure you've disabled the ISR, yet XySubFilter still doesn't load with EVR-CP but does with madVR, you should ask in the MPC-HC thread and see if someone can help you. There is no reason that should be happening.

Potplayer does not support XySubFilter with EVR-CP.

Quote:
Like you said, if I use this PGS to match a 1280x720 movie, everything is fine. But for 1280x534, it becomes terrrible.
This isn't our issue, so you'd need to take this up with madVR or use XySubFilter with EVR-CP in MPC-HC 1.7.8 where this issue should have already been resolved. XySubFilter always sends PGS bitmaps at original size (1920x1080 for BD), at which point it is up to the subtitle consumer to decide how they are scaled to target resolution.

Quote:
Another problem is that if I use XySubFilter, the PGS didn't match the movie's original time code, the PGS is faster than the movie nearly 5s. And if I use PotPlayer/MPC-HC without XySubFilter, everything is fine...
I would need a sample which can reproduce that if you are talking about internal/embedded PGS subtitles.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 14th February 2015 at 04:46.
Old 14th February 2015, 08:28   #729  |  Link
Neroldy

Quote:
Only MPC-HC and recent MPC-BE 1.4.4.65+ nightly builds support XySubFilter with EVR-CP. If you are sure you've disabled the ISR, yet XySubFilter still doesn't load with EVR-CP but does with madVR, you should ask in the MPC-HC thread and see if someone can help you. There is no reason that should be happening.

Potplayer does not support XySubFilter with EVR-CP.

This isn't our issue, so you'd need to take this up with madVR or use XySubFilter with EVR-CP in MPC-HC 1.7.8 where this issue should have already been resolved. XySubFilter always sends PGS bitmaps at original size (1920x1080 for BD), at which point it is up to the subtitle consumer to decide how they are scaled to target resolution.

I would need a sample which can reproduce that if you are talking about internal/embedded PGS subtitles.

You are right, the XySubFilter works well with MPC-HC + EVR-CP.
In the second problem, the PGS is not embedded in the video file, it is just at the same folder with the video. And I make a test, if I use mkvtoolnix to mux the video and PGS into one mkv file, the problem will not happen. But if I extract the PGS subtitle track from mkv file, for example movie.mkv + movie.Chs.sup, then the problem will happen again.

Finally, I find that if the PGS is not in the mkv file and I do not jump to any time, just watch the video from begin to the end, everything will be fine. But if I jump to some scenes, the PGS maybe faster than than the video even the PGS is disappeared until I open this mkv file again. Because if I mux the PGS into mkv file and situation will not happen again, I can't upload sample. I think you can extract the PGS track from mkv file using mkvextract and try my step, maybe it will happen again.

Anyway, XySubFilter is really a great subtitle filter. I hope it can be better and better.
Old 14th February 2015, 10:11   #730  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

That sync issue when seeking external PGS subtitles is actually a known issue which was reported to us soon after it was implemented in XySubFilter back in 2013. Unfortunately, our external PGS support was a somewhat naive implementation, with our developer having only minimal knowledge of how the PGS parser/render code from MPC-HC actually functioned. It wasn't until a year later that MPC-HC got around to implementing proper external PGS support themselves, but at that point our developer had gone pretty much inactive. I haven't forgotten, we just haven't had anyone around which is capable of fixing this for quite awhile.

If you decide you want to disable use of external PGS with XySubFilter, you can remove sup from the HKCU\Software\Gabest\XySubFilter\General\load_ext_list registry key.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 14th February 2015 at 10:24.
Old 14th February 2015, 10:37   #731  |  Link
Neroldy

Quote:
That sync issue when seeking external PGS subtitles is actually a known issue which was reported to us soon after it was implemented in XySubFilter back in 2013. Unfortunately, our external PGS support was a somewhat naive implementation, with our developer having only minimal knowledge of how the PGS parser/render code from MPC-HC actually functioned. It wasn't until a year later that MPC-HC got around to implementing proper external PGS support themselves, but at that point our developer had gone pretty much inactive. I haven't forgotten, we just haven't had anyone around which is capable of fixing this for quite awhile.

If you decide you want to disable use of external PGS with XySubFilter, you can remove sup from the HKCU\Software\Gabest\XySubFilter\General\load_ext_list registry key.
Thank you ~~
Old 16th February 2015, 04:43   #732  |  Link
Neroldy

Maybe I find a little bug?
In the style settings of the subtitle renderer, the MPC-HC built-in is
Quote:
Angel (z,°)
Name:  MPC-HC.JPG
Views: 3898
Size:  13.8 KB
But the XySubFilter is
Quote:
Angel (z,?
Name:  XySubFilter.JPG
Views: 3790
Size:  13.7 KB
Old 16th February 2015, 06:05   #733  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Only a Cosmetic issue, but we could certainly fix that. It looks like the issue was introduced way back in 2011 when our Chinese developer used Visual Studio to re-save the resource file which caused a bogus conversion from English encoding to Chinese encoding.
Old 16th February 2015, 06:26   #734  |  Link
Neroldy

Quote:
Only a Cosmetic issue, but we could certainly fix that. It looks like the issue was introduced way back in 2011 when our Chinese developer used Visual Studio to re-save the resource file which caused a bogus conversion from English encoding to Chinese encoding.
Thank you ~
Old 17th February 2015, 23:00   #735  |  Link
Sm3n

o/ Oy cyberbeing,

thx for keeping it updated.

I saw this: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=253

I also noticed an issue and maybe it's related.
Dunno if the Relative output height feature (I asked you to release, remember?) is to resize or keep the 1080p scale no matter the resolution of the video you are watching, but everytime a cropped or a resized video is playing, the size of my srt is changing. And no matter the resizing mode I apply using avisynth.

Screen:

No Avisynth:

Upscaled using Avisynth:

Same sub on real 1080p uncropped:

You see? Is it possible to set a size for all the situations? so we don't need to configure a "2nd value" for cropped movie.

Hope you'll get what I meant and a fix is easily possible.
Sm3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 02:58   #736  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm3n View Post
I saw this: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=253

I also noticed an issue and maybe it's related.
Completely unrelated. That issue is specific to PGS subtitles only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm3n View Post
Dunno if the Relative output height feature (I asked you to release, remember?) is to resize or keep the 1080p scale no matter the resolution of the video you are watching, but everytime a cropped or a resized video is playing, the size of my srt is changing. And no matter the resizing mode I apply using avisynth.

You see? Is it possible to set a size for all the situations? so we don't need to configure a "2nd value" for cropped movie.
If you are talking about that "Relative output height" test build, I only vaguely remember the specifics. Though I believe that SRT should always have the same relative font size based on video height by default with even a normal build. The test build only readjusted shadow & borders sizes. Your scaled images are not the same output height. Your first and second screenshots have an output height of 339px, while your third one is 449px. That is why the subtitle size is ~33% larger. It sounds like what you are asking for is more like "Relative output width" rather than height.
Old 18th February 2015, 05:03   #737  |  Link
Sm3n

oh OK I understand.

Well, I believe there is no such feature yet...

May I ask you if is it something perhaps you can/want/would work on?
Would be awesome for sure. But if I'm the only one asking for it, no need to waste your time I guess. ^^'

thx for your time

ps: once again sorry for my basic english, folks
Sm3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 12:22   #738  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

After a few hours of trial and error, I think I finally figured out a way to do 'relative size' instead of only 'relative height' or 'relative width'. Yet since I'm more of the project manager and not an experienced programmer, I wouldn't be surprised if this implementation had bugs or performance issues.

Use the following test build at your own risk:
XySubFilter_Relative_Output_Size_Test3 [Removed]
This build contains a major bug which causes display issues with styled ASS subtitles even without overriding styles, unless this feature is set to "original video" (disabled).
The build has been removed.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 19th February 2015 at 08:11.
Old 19th February 2015, 00:33   #739  |  Link
ryrynz

Both BE and HC are displaying ASS subtitles differently from XYSubfilter. Could you look into what's going on with them?

Also I'd like to know how/why BE/HC have different shadowing on the subtitles, I tried changing the what I thought were respective settings, but there was no change.
I do prefer less shadowing, so if you could let me know what needs to be changed or even change the defaults (do Be and HC have it correct?) that'd be grand.

I think consistent results should be seen ideally between all three subtitle renderers.

Screenshots, Source file

Last edited by ryrynz; 19th February 2015 at 00:36.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 01:29   #740  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

VSFilter 2.39, MPC-HC VSFilter, MPC-BE VSFilter, xy-VSFilter, XySubFilter, and Libass (mpv) are all handling that sample correctly and consistently.

As for what MPC-HC ISR and MPC-BE ISR are doing wrong, it's probably a combination of not handling anamorphic scaling of layout in a vsfilter compatible way, along with not scaling \be to match the visual appearance of VSFilter output when scaled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I do prefer less shadowing, so if you could let me know what needs to be changed or even change the defaults that'd be grand.
There isn't any shadowing on that sample, only a 2px border and \be. If you reduce the border size in the script styles (HaruhiEDKan, HaruhiEDRo, HaruhiEDTL), it will result in a thinner outline appearance.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 19th February 2015 at 01:57.