Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 21st January 2019, 18:49   #421  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Wakaku

I have started to upgrade Matroska Tags editor.
My first step is to implement an Action Range option for all SimpleTag values (TagName,Language...etc). At the moment there is only an option for the language and for the current tab/file only.

The language can now be changed in all tabs for all(or other Action Range options) SimpleTags. When you like I could provide a test version...Windows or Linux(what is your OS)?
Next value is TagName, so you can change it in all tabs and set ROTATE as value for example.

And yes the Matroska Tags Profiles feature is a must now. After 100000 editions which I have tagged in the last years, I need now an automatic for this task.
I have shortly looked at mp3Tag and it seems to me there is a profile mask with some predefined names like Title,Interpret,Album and so on.
But I don't want to insert a profile mask, I could do the same like in the Disc Title Profiles.
You can set up all Tags,Tag,SimpleTag,Targets you need and this is then the mask. I think this is better as a fix coded mask because not all Matroska Tags elements are available in Mp3Tag mask.

Let me know what all you need and don't be shy to ask for crazy things :-)

I would like to change in the Option Bar the Settings button against a Play-File button like in Matroska Chapters editor to start quickly an mkv after I saved the Tags. Do you need this Settings button?
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2019, 08:46   #422  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Long reply from your friendly neighbor Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
I have started to upgrade Matroska Tags editor. My first step is to implement an Action Range option for all SimpleTag values (TagName, Language... etc). At the moment there is only an option for the language and for the current tab/file only.

The language can now be changed in all tabs for all(or other Action Range options) SimpleTags. Next value is TagName, so you can change it in all tabs and set ROTATE as value for example.
Sounds really good. I imagine it would be somewhat similar to the tab management enhancements context menu entries, and the context menu entries in the Matroska Tools main tab's left pane.

Quote:
And yes the Matroska Tags Profiles feature is a must now. After 100000 editions which I have tagged in the last years, I need now an automatic for this task. I have shortly looked at mp3Tag and it seems to me there is a profile mask with some predefined names like Title, Interpret, Album and so on. But I don't want to insert a profile mask, I could do the same like in the Disc Title Profiles. You can set up all Tags, Tag, SimpleTag, Targets you need and this is then the mask. I think this is better as a fix coded mask because not all Matroska Tags elements are available in Mp3Tag mask.
I definitely agree. If I understood correctly (and after reading the changes in rev1.12 for the Disc Title Profiles too), then the User would be able to create his pattern and save it as a profile for later re-use. Thus if I have to, then I could somewhat re-create Mp3tag's pattern as a profile for maximum compatibility.

Quote:
I would like to change in the Option Bar the Settings button against a Play-File button like in Matroska Chapters editor to start quickly an mkv after I saved the Tags. Do you need this Settings button?
Such would be a convenient addition. For example I could test the MKV after I add the ROTATE tag to the video track. If it is then implemented, then perhaps it could be easily put to the tab management right-click context menu too. Such Play button would also be convenient for the Chapter editors main tab, so it might as well be a universal button too.

Quote:
Mosu provided 3 sections of Matroska as external xml files. SegmentInfo, Chapters and Tags. With editing SegmentInfo you can change certain elements like the Title of an mkv. On my TODO list is also a SegmentInfo editor like Tags/Chapters editors but with a very low priority, because I don't need it for tagging. For me is the SegmentInfo interesting because of processing for Matroska menu.
I'm glad that cE would have its own "Header" tags editor in the future, so that both Header and XML tags could be conveniently edited in cE. Having used cE's XML tag editor, I imagine the Header editor counterpart would be as equally as powerful.

Quote:
It seams that ExoPlayer has implemented native rotation support for mkv files with the ProjectionPoseRoll element.
This is good news. I hope the other software players follow soon, especially MPC-HC. Though admittedly, the unofficial ROTATE tag already has a soft spot in my heart.

Quote:
When you like I could provide a test version... Windows or Linux (what is your OS)?
Well, I'm honored and also... super scared, since admittedly I'm just a User. Right now I am caring for my mother who is 75 years old who has both eye cataracts and glaucoma. Right now we are nearing the end of our eye drops prescription and if it ended up OK, then possibly a cataract operation/removal next week for one eye only. Then I think 1 week of more eye drops, then check up. Sooner maybe a week(s) or month(s), cataract removal for the other eye then similar eye drops again. Then far sooner, the glaucoma problem for one eye at a time again. All could end up 4 months or a year from now. All household chores even the simplest and easiest ones are all on my shoulders.

Therefore I can't promise any speedy testing, but I want to participate nonetheless. My OS is Windows 7 64-bit and confessedly my internet connection is only data-based and quite slow/expensive, for example 1 GB for 3 days. So I use the likes of uBO and ABP to block not just ads but also images and media to save data, and I take advantage of my ISP's occasional promos.

Quote:
Let me know what all you need and don't be shy to ask for crazy things :-)
All righty then. I'll try to arrange them from what I think would be easiest to hardest.

1. Emoji support

Ability to save Emoji as XML tags. Right now, only Mp3tag can add new, read existing (though displayed as empty boxes), and save them. Back in my Windows XP time, I was craving for unicode support in my programs, and when the time finally came that I transitioned to Windows 7, unicode support was more widespread. So I was just happy to save those CJK / Thai / Hebrew / Hindi / Arabic texts for example easily. Then maybe just this 2016 or 2017, the Emojis came (eg. emojis, smilies, hands, flags, etc). Some of those YouTube videos even have emojis midway in the titles.

MKVToolNix GUI's Header Editor can add emojis as Header tags, but after saving, the display is immediately changed to black triangles with question marks in the middle/center (mojibake?). Sadly, after remuxing with MKVToolNix, both the Header emojis (added by MKVToolNix GUI's own Header Editor itself) and the XML emojis (added by Mp3tag) are lost.

My way of verifying that both those Header and XML emojis are really correctly inside the MKV is viewing via MediaInfo's HTML view.

I tested with cE. It can load them as empty boxes, but after saving, the XML emojis are lost. When viewed by MediaInfo's HTML view, the result is similar to MKVToolNix after remuxing, which looks like middle dots.

My hunch is that Mp3tag saves them as or switches to UTF-16. Perhaps somewhat like UTF-8 for ID3 v2.4 and UTF-16 for ID3 v2.3. And so, I use Mp3tag as my final editor/saver if there are emoji tags involved.

I also tested remuxing with FFmpeg. Luckily those emojis I saved with Mp3tag are retained.

Hopefully it would be officially supported by Matroska some time, since Mp3tag supports it and FFmpeg can retain them after remuxing.

2. Open With, SendTo, desired main tab

Ability to open an MKV/Matroska file directly to a desired main tab (like into the Matroska Tools main tab, my favorite). For example if it could be done via a command line switch or an option which could be put in a shortcut (lnk), or maybe to be put first into a batch file then called by the shortcut. Then it could be put into the SendTo folder for example. In fact I asked something similar to this in the MKVToolNix thread.

Or perhaps a default behavior configurable by the User when using Windows Explorer's Open With context menu. MKVToolNix's default behavior when opening an MKV file as ease, is to open it in the Multiplexer main tab.

Well who knows, maybe cE will have its very own Explorer right-click context submenu like those of WinRAR's, 7-Zip's, etc, in the far future.

3. Consolidate XML-Indexes

Ability to consolidate the XML-Indexes into one. For example, if I have 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5... 1.10, then maybe a right-click context menu to join them all into 1.1. The default TargetTypeValue and TargetType could be both simply "are not using", or perhaps a choosing of the User.

It would be quite useful for scattered or disordered XML tags, so that I don't have to drag the SimpleTags one by one into 1.1. For example, in my own very old previous XML tags I embedded when I had back in time only MKVToolNix to use, after editing and saving them with Mp3tag, the XML tags became disorderly (but no tag or actual media file corruption), so cE is best used in such scenario as the final editor/saver. Perhaps Mp3tag got confused because of the TargetTypeValue numbers I used back then.

Maybe this is applicable or could be added to the potential Action Range options. Maybe this could be handled via profiles. Perhaps I would find out later on.

4. Cover display

This is probably hard and more approriate in the least priority section of the TODO list, especially for cE's future Header tagging support: Ability to display MKV/Matroska cover, even at least the first cover only. Mp3tag can display any existing Matroska cover (cover.jpg), delete them, but it can't add one yet.

This would be a convenient feature, for example if I have about 10-20 videos downloaded from YouTube and if they are all of unicode filenames (which I don't understand/can't read), then it would be hard for me (or the User) to identify the files after they are loaded into cE (for example dragging them all into the Matroska Tools). I often just embed the maxresdefault.jpg as the cover.jpg (if none then I resort to sddefault.jpg, then to hqdefault.jpg).

Or perhaps cE could tap Windows Explorer's own thumbnailing. I have Icaros installed for other formats like for MKV itself.

Anyway, if these features could not be implemented some time, then I am still very much okay. I am already satisfied with cE's current incarnation after all.

Last edited by Wakaku; 24th January 2019 at 09:51.
Wakaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 02:56   #423  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakaku View Post
I imagine it would be somewhat similar to the tab management enhancements context menu entries, and the context menu entries in the Matroska Tools main tab's left pane.
No.
The Action Range option can be set in the Combobox (All SimpleTag, All SimpleTag of a Tags, ... etc.). And now it works for all SimpleTag values and for all tabs(new checkbox).
For example you have 20 tabs with one SimpleTag each and you set in the first tab(or any other) the TagString value to ROTATE, it will apply to all other tabs/SimpleTag's.
I will provide soon a new version because I found a bug (an other reason is the chapter database).

Quote:
If I understood correctly (and after reading the changes in rev1.12 for the Disc Title Profiles too), then the User would be able to create his pattern and save it as a profile for later re-use. Thus if I have to, then I could somewhat re-create Mp3tag's pattern as a profile for maximum compatibility.
Yes and you can use all Matroska Tags elements. I have two ways in my mind for re-use a profile.
1. like Disc Title Profiles
In a tab exists Tags,Tag,SimpleTag nodes and all values from a profile will be used only

2. empty/blank
The entire structure and data from the profile is used.

Matroska Tags Profiles will be a bit more complex as the Disc Title Profiles but I am quite confident.

Quote:
If it is then implemented, then perhaps it could be easily put to the tab management right-click context menu too. Such Play button would also be convenient for the Chapter editors main tab, so it might as well be a universal button too.
In Matroska Chapters editor you have a hotkey in the TreeView, "P"(default) plays the file. Such a hotkey is then for Tags editor also available.
I could also add a new item in Tab-Header-Management popup menu but I think the hotkey is enough. But if you say "I need this", you get it, no problem.

Quote:
I'm glad that cE would have its own "Header" tags editor in the future, so that both Header and XML tags could be conveniently edited in cE. Having used cE's XML tag editor, I imagine the Header editor counterpart would be as equally as powerful.
I will do my best, maybe this year.
Here some info:
SegmentInfo has also 3 parts, I hope I'm right. Mosu can maybe say more.
One part can be edit with mkvpropedit, an other part can be read from xml files while mkvmerge mux a file and the last part can be written by mkvmerge(or any other mkv tool) only.

In an xml file is no element for the mkv Title this is a job for mkvpropedit.
In the new Matroska SegmentInfo editor you can edit two parts(xml and mkvpropedit) and I will add comments in the xml file to preserve values which are not provided by Mosu. So the idea, but this will take some time.

Quote:
This is good news. I hope the other software players follow soon, especially MPC-HC. Though admittedly, the unofficial ROTATE tag already has a soft spot in my heart.
MPC-HC is developed by clsid only and he has strict rules for updates, I don't think he will add this feature. Or maybe is this a job for the splitter too, then you have to ask nevcairiel to upgrade LAV Filters.
On the other hand like you said the soft variant works perfect and will stay for a long time/or ever.

Quote:
Well, I'm honored and also... super scared, since admittedly I'm just a User. Right now I am caring for my mother who is 75 years old .......
I keep my fingers crossed for your mother so that everything goes well during the operation and wish you lots of creative energy for the time to come.
Don't feel you set under pressure to test cE. cE is not a life saver your mother is most important.
I will provide a test version and you have all the time you need, and when there is no time, believe me I'm the last one which is angry about this.

Quote:
1. Emoji support

Ability to save Emoji as XML tags. Right now, only Mp3tag can add new, read existing (though displayed as empty boxes), and save them. Back in my Windows XP time, I was craving for unicode support in my programs, and when the time finally came that I transitioned to Windows 7, unicode support was more widespread. So I was just happy to save those CJK / Thai / Hebrew / Hindi / Arabic texts for example easily. Then maybe just this 2016 or 2017, the Emojis came (eg. emojis, smilies, hands, flags, etc). Some of those YouTube videos even have emojis midway in the titles.

MKVToolNix GUI's Header Editor can add emojis as Header tags, but after saving, the display is immediately changed to black triangles with question marks in the middle/center (mojibake?). Sadly, after remuxing with MKVToolNix, both the Header emojis (added by MKVToolNix GUI's own Header Editor itself) and the XML emojis (added by Mp3tag) are lost.

My way of verifying that both those Header and XML emojis are really correctly inside the MKV is viewing via MediaInfo's HTML view.

I tested with cE. It can load them as empty boxes, but after saving, the XML emojis are lost. When viewed by MediaInfo's HTML view, the result is similar to MKVToolNix after remuxing, which looks like middle dots.

My hunch is that Mp3tag saves them as or switches to UTF-16. Perhaps somewhat like UTF-8 for ID3 v2.4 and UTF-16 for ID3 v2.3. And so, I use Mp3tag as my final editor/saver if there are emoji tags involved.

I also tested remuxing with FFmpeg. Luckily those emojis I saved with Mp3tag are retained.

Hopefully it would be officially supported by Matroska some time, since Mp3tag supports it and FFmpeg can retain them after remuxing.
Very interesting, could you provide sample files? An xml tags with the Emojis, an mkv and so on?

Quote:
2. Open With, SendTo, desired main tab

Ability to open an MKV/Matroska file directly to a desired main tab (like into the Matroska Tools main tab, my favorite). For example if it could be done via a command line switch or an option which could be put in a shortcut (lnk), or maybe to be put first into a batch file then called by the shortcut. Then it could be put into the SendTo folder for example. In fact I asked something similar to this in the MKVToolNix thread.

Or perhaps a default behavior configurable by the User when using Windows Explorer's Open With context menu. MKVToolNix's default behavior when opening an MKV file as ease, is to open it in the Multiplexer main tab.

Well who knows, maybe cE will have its very own Explorer right-click context submenu like those of WinRAR's, 7-Zip's, etc, in the far future.
I know what you mean and when I understand this right, then I have to manipulate the Windows registry. Indeed I have a bit experience with this but,
coding and how it works under Linux I have to learn.
I don't like the idea that cE writes in the Windows/Linux registry. I don't like it also when other portable tools this do. But I will think about it.

Quote:
3. Consolidate XML-Indexes

Ability to consolidate the XML-Indexes into one. For example, if I have 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5... 1.10, then maybe a right-click context menu to join them all into 1.1. The default TargetTypeValue and TargetType could be both simply "are not using", or perhaps a choosing of the User.

It would be quite useful for scattered or disordered XML tags, so that I don't have to drag the SimpleTags one by one into 1.1. For example, in my own very old previous XML tags I embedded when I had back in time only MKVToolNix to use, after editing and saving them with Mp3tag, the XML tags became disorderly (but no tag or actual media file corruption), so cE is best used in such scenario as the final editor/saver. Perhaps Mp3tag got confused because of the TargetTypeValue numbers I used back then.

Maybe this is applicable or could be added to the potential Action Range options. Maybe this could be handled via profiles. Perhaps I would find out later on.
I'm not sure if I understand you.
Many SimpleTag's should move in one go into SimpleTag1.1 and all moved SimpleTag's are now Sub-SimpleTag of ST1.1.
Can make two screenshots before moving and after?

Quote:
4. Cover display

This is probably hard and more approriate in the least priority section of the TODO list, especially for cE's future Header tagging support: Ability to display MKV/Matroska cover, even at least the first cover only. Mp3tag can display any existing Matroska cover (cover.jpg), delete them, but it can't add one yet.

This would be a convenient feature, for example if I have about 10-20 videos downloaded from YouTube and if they are all of unicode filenames (which I don't understand/can't read), then it would be hard for me (or the User) to identify the files after they are loaded into cE (for example dragging them all into the Matroska Tools). I often just embed the maxresdefault.jpg as the cover.jpg (if none then I resort to sddefault.jpg, then to hqdefault.jpg).

Or perhaps cE could tap Windows Explorer's own thumbnailing. I have Icaros installed for other formats like for MKV itself.
Mmmh... also interesting. Is a cover.jpg an attachment only? Could you provide a small mkv sample please?
Old 25th January 2019, 21:12   #424  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Quote:
I keep my fingers crossed for your mother so that everything goes well during the operation and wish you lots of creative energy for the time to come. Don't feel you set under pressure to test cE. cE is not a life saver your mother is most important. I will provide a test version and you have all the time you need, and when there is no time, believe me I'm the last one which is angry about this.
Thank you. I will test these test versions whenever I can. I want to participate nonetheless.

Quote:
Very interesting, could you provide sample files? An xml tags with the Emojis, an mkv and so on?

Mmmh... also interesting. Is a cover.jpg an attachment only? Could you provide a small mkv sample please?
Yes I will download a video from YouTube (the smallest 144p and the smallest Opus available for easy downloading), mux it to MKV, then tag it with emojis, add the biggest thumbnail preview available as an attachment as cover.jpg, put my ROTATE video tag for fun, and compress it as 7z.

As far as I know, Matroska COVERs are just plain image attachments renamed to at least cover.jpg.

DOWNLOAD: My 7Z

Quote:
I know what you mean and when I understand this right, then I have to manipulate the Windows registry. Indeed I have a bit experience with this but, coding and how it works under Linux I have to learn. I don't like the idea that cE writes in the Windows/Linux registry. I don't like it also when other portable tools this do. But I will think about it.
I agree, no need to mess with the Registry. Though there is some sort of automatic behavior in Windows 7 (or perhaps all Windows OS'es) using the Open With context menu even for portable programs, that you are most probably aware of, but I might as well tell my story.

For example, let's say I have Windows Explorer opened at a particular folder containing an MKV file. I can right-click that MKV file then move the mouse down a little until I reach Open with, then Choose default program..., then Explorer will prompt for me to pick a program in Recommended Programs, or I could click the Browse button at the lower right, so I could browse for an EXE in the hard disk. Then I could go to cE's installation folder and pick cE's EXE.

After I pick cE's EXE, it would then be included to the Open With context menu list, of course the Recommended Programs too, and in the Registry, cE's EXE will be included there:
Code:
HKCR\Applications\chapterEditor.exe
It will have an entry like:
Code:
HKCR\Applications\chapterEditor.exe\shell\open\command
Which will have a commandline like below, which in fact is my installation drive and folder for my programs. Actually just a partition, not a secondary hard disk, so that I could safely reformat the C: and I don't have to reinstall my programs since they are separate in D drive. I always try to use DOS-sized, 8-character folder names.
Code:
"D:\MyFolder\software\aud-vid\mod\chapEdit\chapterEditor.exe" "%1"
I can do the same procedure to other EXE's of other programs, like media players and even a portable MKVToolNix GUI's "mkvtoolnix-gui.exe".

Now the default behavior of mkvtoolnix-gui.exe when using the Open With above, is that MKVToolNix GUI will open the MKV file into its default Multiplexer main tab. The only way to immediately open the MKV file into the other main tabs (eg. Info Tool, Header editor, Chapter editor) is via a commandline + CLI options pointing to the filename of the MKV. Without the filename of the MKV in the command line, then it would not work for the other main tabs. Thus my desire to quickly open to other main tabs instead is currently impossible.

When I do this to cE's EXE (chapterEditor.exe), the default behavior is "blank", its just like opening cE as ease. Of course I'm very fine with this current behavior, no need to change it. This is just my story for the "Open With".

Meanwhile a little back in the MKVToolNix thread, I asked there if there is a way to open an MKV in Windows Explorer directly into a desired main tab, for example if I want to immediately open it in Header Editor main tab instead of the default Multiplexer main tab. Perhaps a switch or option that could be put into a shortcut to the EXE or if a batch file is first needed as a bridge which would then be called by the shortcut instead. I was hoping for somehow I could create different shortcuts with different switches/options yet pointing to the same MKVToolNix exe, one for each main tab.

So in my original wishlist post here, I was hoping for a quick way to open the MKV file in Windows Explorer into cE's Matroska Tools main tab for example (my favorite main tab of cE), just like my post in the MKVToolNix thread above. Especially in relation to the plan to upgrade the separate cE CLI and/or the chapterEditor.exe's very own CLI functionality update.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I understand you. Many SimpleTag's should move in one go into SimpleTag1.1 and all moved SimpleTag's are now Sub-SimpleTag of ST1.1. Can make two screenshots before moving and after?
The SimpleTags from other XML-Indexes I could drag one by one into 1.1, though I was hoping for an easy two-click or right-click context menu function to combine all of them them into 1.1. Somewhat like the context menu of All nodes, where a User can quickly Expand, Collapse, even batch Delete.

Or maybe an ability to highlight as many SimpleTags from other Tags then drag and drop them all into 1.1. I'll try to include screenshots into the 7z. Again this is just one of my wishlist earlier, no need to implement this.

Quote:
In Matroska Chapters editor you have a hotkey in the TreeView, "P"(default) plays the file. Such a hotkey is then for Tags editor also available.
I just tested this play feature in cE 1.12. When the highlighter is currently at XML-Index 1, then the MKV will play after pressing P. But sometimes when the highlighter is at XML-Index 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.3, when the User presses the P hotkey, there is a chance the User might overlook, that the Edition Entry's Name is replaced by P's instead. Such might happen if the User clicked the Edition Entry or like the Start time areas in the left pane.

There's a blue clapper/play icon at the right of the right pane, I forgot about this (or I overlooked), it's convenient and already favorable.

Anyway if Matroska Tools would indeed have such play functions counterpart like that of Chapter Editors, especially the blue clapper/play icon, then I agree for their addition.

Quote:
I could also add a new item in Tab-Header-Management popup menu but I think the hotkey is enough. But if you say "I need this", you get it, no problem.
Well I guess I'll have a wish granted then After typing, I just thought or realized that somewhat I am a right-click context menu frequenter. I even overlooked that big blue clapper/play icon after all. So thank you in advance.

Last edited by Wakaku; 25th January 2019 at 21:15.
Old 26th January 2019, 00:49   #425  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Yes I will download a video from YouTube.....
As far as I know, Matroska COVERs are just plain image attachments renamed to at least cover.jpg.
Many thanks for the samples and screenshots.

Quote:
I agree, no need to mess with the Registry. Though there is some sort of automatic behavior in Windows 7 (or perhaps all Windows OS'es) using the Open With context menu even for portable programs, that you are most probably aware of, but I might as well tell my story.

So in my original wishlist post here, I was hoping for a quick way to open the MKV file in Windows Explorer into cE's Matroska Tools main tab for example (my favorite main tab of cE), just like my post in the MKVToolNix thread above. Especially in relation to the plan to upgrade the separate cE CLI and/or the chapterEditor.exe's very own CLI functionality update.
You are right, Windows set this registry entry and a para can be used. I know what you mean and the issue is, there is no cli support in cE.
It is on my TODO list.
cE opens the last used editor on start automatically and then should load the selected file from Windows Explorer. Maybe not so complicated and fast implemented.

Quote:
The SimpleTags from other XML-Indexes I could drag one by one into 1.1, though I was hoping for an easy two-click or right-click context menu function to combine all of them them into 1.1. Somewhat like the context menu of All nodes, where a User can quickly Expand, Collapse, even batch Delete.

Or maybe an ability to highlight as many SimpleTags from other Tags then drag and drop them all into 1.1. I'll try to include screenshots into the 7z. Again this is just one of my wishlist earlier, no need to implement this.
After I've looked at the pictures, it's clear what you mean. And additionally after moving SimpleTag's you have to delete the other Tag nodes(right?).
To move multiple nodes at once I have to implement multi-selecting and this was not so easy for Tab-Management but for Matroska Tags it would make to much work.
My first thought is, to have an option at the Tag and/or Tags level(at the moment exists no settings/option/elements - blank tab) to move all SimpleTag to the first Tag and delete the other Tag's.
It is a good suggestion and I have added to my TODO list.

Quote:
I just tested this play feature in cE 1.12. When the highlighter is currently at XML-Index 1, then the MKV will play after pressing P. But sometimes when the highlighter is at XML-Index 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.3, when the User presses the P hotkey, there is a chance the User might overlook, that the Edition Entry's Name is replaced by P's instead. Such might happen if the User clicked the Edition Entry or like the Start time areas in the left pane.

There's a blue clapper/play icon at the right of the right pane, I forgot about this (or I overlooked), it's convenient and already favorable.

Anyway if Matroska Tools would indeed have such play functions counterpart like that of Chapter Editors, especially the blue clapper/play icon, then I agree for their addition.

Well I guess I'll have a wish granted then After typing, I just thought or realized that somewhat I am a right-click context menu frequenter. I even overlooked that big blue clapper/play icon after all. So thank you in advance.
The hotkey for the TreeView works only when the Treeview has the focus, this means the selected/highlighted node is blue (gray if the Treeview has not the focus).
A user request was to select input fields after selecting a node, and I guess in your settings(cE-GUI) is this option activated. When you select a chapter the chapter name edit field gets the focus or the start time edit field if no chapter is present. You can deactivate this feature or use ESCAPE hotkey in the name edit field to set the focus back to the Treeview.

Play-File button comes very soon and a new popup menu item.
Old 27th January 2019, 03:00   #426  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

chapterEditor(cE) rev1.13 is available.
Windows
Linux

An important change has been added for uploading chapters.
Users had uploaded chapters multiple times as there were bugs in the chapter names
or other settings were not set correctly.
You can always edit your own uploaded chapters/titles! In the main menu there is an item: Edit chapters.
A warning is displayed if the same title name is used during the upload.
Of course there are the same titles on different discs and it is still possible to upload duplicate titles.

The Matroska Tags Editor had two bugs and there are some improvements.

Action range: this is now available for all SimpleTag values (previously only for the language).
Furthermore, the Action range can be applied to all tabs, even if the option "disabled" is selected.
Other tabs only change values of the same type if possible.
For example, the XML index must match/be present.

Code:
Change chapterEditor

added    &
fixed    *
improved #
changed  %

rev1.13 2019-01-27
// chapterEditor -> Tab-Header popup menu
& new item: play/open file
  - only for Matroska Chapters and Tags
  - Play Matroska files or open XML files

// Chapter Database
& before the upload is checked if the title(name) already exists
  - Titles that already exist should be edited
  - You can still upload several titles of the same name (differences like FPS or disc type)
  - a warning is displayed with the option to switch to "Edit" or still upload

// Matroska Chapters editor
# Play-File button: XML files are now also opened

// Matroska Tags editor
& Play-File button for Matroska files and open XML files
  - Hotkey in TreeView init "P" (Settings)

* If a group separator is selected in the Combobox TagName, the tag editor was not working properly

* it was possible to change the value String-or-Binary for official Tag names, which leads to incorrect xml files

# Action range: now for all SimpleTag values - previously only for the language
  - applicable to all tabs

# Help texts adapted for the file bar buttons - Append files and folders

% "Change languages for other SimpleTag's too" changed to Action range

Last edited by hubblec4; 27th January 2019 at 03:14.
Old 1st February 2019, 01:54   #427  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Wakaku

Here is the first test version of cE.

The first new feature from your wish list is point 3.(Consolidate). It was really easy to implement it and additional I have added an Action range to the "Tags", so you can consolidate multiple tabs and Tags.
The Action range is very simple, "All Tags" is the only one option.

Also the Targets has now an Action range, almost identical to the SimpleTag Action range.
And some bugs are fixed.

Code:
// Matroska Tags
& Action range for all Targets values
   - applicable to all tabs
   - also for target-UIDs (add, edit, delete, clear)

& Action range for Tags
   - for now only one option: All Tags
   - applicable to all tabs

& Consolidate all SimpleTag in the first Tag
   - Tag count, limits the number of used Tag's, "0" means all Tag's

* TagUID type was initiated incorrectly
   - if the type was not changed, TagTrackUID was always used

* In very rare cases cE crashed at the tab change

* The settings for an XML element were not loaded after pasting a copied/cut element into another tab/treeview

# Change the value for TargetTypeValue: in the editor and in the settings
   - the value for TargetType is no longer changed if "are not using" is selected

% rearranged a few components
Have fun while testing.
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:11   #428  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

I have just finished downloading now. Very excited, I'll be searching for my MKV's which may have scattered XML tags inside, thus it may take quite a long while. Thank you.

UPDATE:
Here are my remarks/test results so far: MYTEST1.7Z

Last edited by Wakaku; 3rd February 2019 at 06:00.
Old 7th February 2019, 01:22   #429  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Wakaku

I didn't checked that you uploaded your test result. Sorry for delay and many thanks for this test.

When cE crashes and a Windows message appear("Acess violation." (Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption)), you should close cE.
Many of the issues which you describe comes from data corruption. Not all processes in cE are handled with an exception handler.

Quote:
I might as well tell that, I think I also encountered this "Access
violation" abort message quite a few times ago when cE first had its
Tab Management enhancements introduced. But I can't reproduce such
earlier experience of mine. All I can remember is it most likely
manifests when I'm working with many tabs opened at once, for example
10-20 tabs or even more.
This was an issue which I have fixed.
Quote:
* In very rare cases cE crashed at the tab change
The issue was a re-select of the selected node to load the element settings.

I will fix fast as possible the Consolidate-issue.
Old 7th February 2019, 01:41   #430  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

The node structure was not re-build in the other TreeViews, that was the issue.

Here is a new test rev of cE.
Old 7th February 2019, 15:11   #431  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

I had added a hotkey in the VST to consolidate SimpleTag, init SHIFT + C. Adjustable in the settings.
Old 9th February 2019, 18:57   #432  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Just downloaded now, may take quite a long time again to test. I'll update this post after I'm done. Anyway, we're at 5th day after my mom's very first cataract surgery on one eye only for now. We most likely delay the second operation for the other eye, for perhaps more than one month from now as she didn't like the "pain" which she's still suffering up to this day.

UPDATE Feb. 11, 2019
So far so good. After repeated usage, I never encountered any abort, error or issue yet (single or simultaneous multiple files loaded). Consolidation works as intended and files can be saved. In fact I already used it to my actual MKV collection instead of those dummy MKV's. I will just keep using it.

Last edited by Wakaku; 10th February 2019 at 17:45.
Old 11th February 2019, 14:16   #433  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Thanks again for your tests. Nice to read that it works.
Old 16th February 2019, 16:38   #434  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Maximized window size

Just an issue about normal windowed mode and maximized. I tested on both rev1.13 and rev1.14 Test 2.
  1. Open cE, drag the edges of the window to a size and postion to the User's liking. For example a square box at the right part of the desktop area.
  2. Click Maximize.
  3. Close cE while still maximized.
  4. Re-open cE. The window size will now become as big as a "maximized" window instead of the previous normal window size which we set in step 1.
But if we first un-maximize the window before exiting, then cE will remember the normal window size we set in step 1.

Again, I'm using Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.

Last edited by Wakaku; 16th February 2019 at 16:41.
Old 16th February 2019, 19:11   #435  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

When you close cE the form height and width and position is stored to the ini-file. I know that is maybe not the best way because after re-open cE it is a maximized window and you have to resize and re-position cE on the desktop.

Me self never use the maximized window size, but I know what you mean and I will try to fix it.
Old 18th February 2019, 23:58   #436  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Matroska Tags Profiles Test

Hi Wakaku

Here is a new test version of cE.

I have fixed the cE's maximized-window issue, but it is more a workaround as then a total fix. I hope it is OK how it works.

Matroska Tags Profiles are almost ready and you can test it.

Like I wrote there is no extra profile mask, each tab itself is the mask and can be added as a new profile.
The Tags profiles are Matroska XML files which stored in a predefined folder. In this folder is a simple text file with all xml file names. This text file is needed for the order of the profiles, called "__MatroskaTagsProfiles.txt".
You have the possibility to add your own xml files to this folder and cE will add the new xml files/profiles while activate the Tags-Profile feature. You can also delete the files and cE deletes then the names from the profile.txt file later.

The path to the folder can be changed in the settings.
I have added a new folder with sub-folders in cE's Data folder as default Tags profiles folder.
Copy the Matroska folder from the cE.zip into cE's Data folder. (Make before a copy of your existing cE folder)

The profile name is also the file name and must be unique.

An action range is also available to apply or append a profile to all tabs.
Apply: Only the profile data will be applied to the Tags.
Append: The profile is added as new Tags

Have fun and let me know what you think or miss?

Last edited by hubblec4; 19th February 2019 at 21:58.
Old 19th February 2019, 07:42   #437  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Downloaded now. Will take some time to test as I am everyday always exhausted of taking care of the house, my Mom, and everything, which will be our lifelong scenario from now on. Anyway, the profile feature is already exciting . I will just update this post in the future as in the previous ones.

PS. I might as well tell that I just copied my existing stable cE installation (along with all its contents like the config) to a different folder (a duplicate), then I just overwrite with the test version EXE into the duplicate folder, so that I could just easily rename the stable and test folders whenever I want to use the existing shortcuts (*.lnk) I created in the Start Menu for example. So thank goodness for cE's portability.

UPDATE Feb. 19, 2019:

So far so good, no errors or issues. Profiles can be saved and reloaded, APPLY and APPEND, and All Tabs checkbox, single or multiple tabs loaded, work as expected.

The workaround for the "maximize" issue is good enough for me. Though I notice that it is indeed a little "different" in behavior compared to the usual Windows applications. If you are indeed going to tweak it, then I think it is enough to be placed at the low priority section of the TODO list.

UPDATE Feb. 19, 2019 #2:

Is there a way for the Apply profile to NOT overwrite the existing TagString texts (just the TargetTypeValue, TargetType, and TagName)?

Last edited by Wakaku; 19th February 2019 at 16:17.
Old 19th February 2019, 18:09   #438  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
UPDATE Feb. 19, 2019:

So far so good, no errors or issues. Profiles can be saved and reloaded, APPLY and APPEND, and All Tabs checkbox, single or multiple tabs loaded, work as expected.
Thanks for this quick test. (but I found a small issue)

Quote:
The workaround for the "maximize" issue is good enough for me. Though I notice that it is indeed a little "different" in behavior compared to the usual Windows applications. If you are indeed going to tweak it, then I think it is enough to be placed at the low priority section of the TODO list.
OK, and it is not delete from my TODO list. I think I have to change the storage behavior of the form values.

Quote:
UPDATE Feb. 19, 2019 #2:

Is there a way for the Apply profile to NOT overwrite the existing TagString texts (just the TargetTypeValue, TargetType, and TagName)?
Indeed it makes no sense to change an existing TagString text when the profile value text is empty.
I have fixed this and the text is now changed only if is not empty.
But all other values will be used. If this is OK then fine, but I understand you, to use not all values. Maybe I could add an option where you can select the values which have to used.

Here is a new test rev of cE exe only.

Last edited by hubblec4; 21st February 2019 at 16:15.
Old 21st February 2019, 07:19   #439  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Still so far so good. Thanks for the change in behavior of the Profile's Apply function to NOT overwrite if the TagString already has an existing text.

Quote:
Maybe I could add an option where you can select the values which have to used.
Yes, this would be great and makes the editor even more powerful if you are indeed going to implement such ability in the future. Though for now I am already happy for the currently updated behavior.

I just have a simple request perhaps for the next test version. It's for ease-of-use and ease for the eyes.

DOWNLOAD: my-request-01.7z
Old 21st February 2019, 15:12   #440  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Thanks for the change in behavior of the Profile's Apply function to NOT overwrite if the TagString already has an existing text.
That is not correct, the TagString text will be ever override if the profile text value is not empty.

Quote:
Yes, this would be great and makes the editor even more powerful if you are indeed going to implement such ability in the future. Though for now I am already happy for the currently updated behavior.
I have started to implement this feature. My idea is a simple popup menu where you can select the values you like to change/not change.

Quote:
I just have a simple request perhaps for the next test version. It's for ease-of-use and ease for the eyes.
Yes that makes also sense to display the TargetTypeValue in the Treeview.
The XML-Element column can be hide and therefore I prefer the TargetType/TagName column.
For example: ALBUM (50)

Tags
bluray backup, chapter editor, dvd2mkv, matroska menu, metadata, multi-edition-mkv, xml tag