Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th February 2019, 23:10   #54861  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you can load different LUT using profiles.
I understand that, but what I mean is , if I am using HDR->SDR Shader, outputing SDR.

Does my Lut have to be created differently , as in the setting photo in my previous post. by setting the source colorspace to rec2020,

OR does madvr shader output HDR->SDR in Rec709
Old 19th February 2019, 23:18   #54862  |  Link
huhn

no it doesn't this selection only depends on your screens settings.

if your screen only runs in bt 709 mode no point in making a bigger 3D LUT.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 23:34   #54863  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
no it doesn't this selection only depends on your screens settings.

if your screen only runs in bt 709 mode no point in making a bigger 3D LUT.
Well the screen is ever so slightly wider than 709.

My question is whether all the lut in the calibration tab are treated the same way, and indifferent to source colorspace ?
Old 19th February 2019, 23:48   #54864  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
I don't understand why you think something may be going wrong.

Whatever is happening isn't some trick that's eating your CPU cycles for no reason. However many CPU cycles is taken, that's the correct amount necessary to do what you've asked the computer to do.

There is no process virus here stealing CPU cycles.

Different videos, Different SEGMENT of the SAME VIDEO, different CPUs, different Graphics cards will ALL TOGETHER, exhibit Different quantities of processing consumption, You're not comparing apples to apples.

Between fullscreen and windowed, full screen scales luma through ngu, windowed does not.

As for GPU clock Not going up higher, I don't think it needs to, because that is a very low bitrate file and you're not upscaling it by very much.

For the CPU load change, Check your cpu in HWmonitor, I'm not sure, but see if all cores are clocked to the same frequency, maybe on the windowed smaller screen mode, some cores are clocked lower, so it represents higher % of utilization during that moment.
I don't think its that simple, there is something not setup right or something else. When I run MPC-BE I see one instance running and under that whatever video that is playing in task manager.

His picture shows MPC-HC and two instances of madVR for some reason.

https://postimg.cc/Js7C5n6c

EDIT : Ah the only way I could see madVR in task manager was to have the settings open and be playing a video, unsure how you can have two instances of that, but try closing down the settings as that may be eating up CPU cycles with a video playing ?

I also don't see madVR running on the screen though, so just set fire to the computer.

Last edited by madjock; 19th February 2019 at 23:58.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 00:02   #54865  |  Link
janos666

Quote:
But this tech vastly surpasses OLED's capabilities, because it will EVENTUALLY allow for Backlight blink motion blur reduction. (ULMB)
I don't see how. The OLED still wins in contrast ratio (1000/1000000=0.001 is roughly what you got from a fresh new or tweaked 9G Poneer Kuro, which is excellent but the OLED black is still noticably darker) and the peak white is roughly the same as well (well, yeah, the LG OLED cheats with the W sub-pixel but they have a few years to improve, the top-emission panels might reach almost 1000 nit with RGB - especially if they drop the W pixel and increase the RGB sizes). The LG panels will run at 240Hz this year which means 25% duty cycle is now possible (although I am not sure how usable because ABL already starts kicking in around 80 nit on fullscreen 100% white screen if you compensate for the 50/50% BFI with the OLED Light control and HDR is always cut to 50% light output with BFI - but pretty much the same applies to the LCD in HDR and roughly the same in SDR). And then the viewing angle distortion of LCD remains (well, of course the OLED burn-in remains there as well).
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 00:04   #54866  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Well the screen is ever so slightly wider than 709.

My question is whether all the lut in the calibration tab are treated the same way, and indifferent to source colorspace ?
the source colorspace is supposed to match madVR settings. it has to how else should this ever work. just giving madVR a BT 2020 3D LUt and load it as b 709 what'S the point of this?

i mean you are doing this calibration stuff for a while know. just try to think why an option is even there.

Quote:
OR does madvr shader output HDR->SDR in Rec709
i'm simply at a lost of word when i read this. why should it even support BT 2020 3D LUT way before HDR was a spec.

just take a step back and think.

if your screen has a meaningfully bigger colorsavce then BT 709 add a DCI P3 3D LUT. madVR will do the rest this option to load aDCI P3 3D LUT is not for fun in there and a DCI P3 3D LUT is defined by the source colorspace.
Old 20th February 2019, 00:12   #54867  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I don't think its that simple, there is something not setup right or something else. When I run MPC-BE I see one instance running and under that whatever video that is playing in task manager.

His picture shows MPC-HC and two instances of madVR for some reason.

https://postimg.cc/Js7C5n6c

EDIT : Ah the only way I could see madVR in task manager was to have the settings open and be playing a video, unsure how you can have two instances of that, but try closing down the settings as that may be eating up CPU cycles with a video playing ?

I also don't see madVR running on the screen though, so just set fire to the computer.
mine shows 3 processes too.
Old 20th February 2019, 00:17   #54868  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
the source colorspace is supposed to match madVR settings. it has to how else should this ever work. just giving madVR a BT 2020 3D LUt and load it as b 709 what'S the point of this?

i mean you are doing this calibration stuff for a while know. just try to think why an option is even there.

i'm simply at a lost of word when i read this. why should it even support BT 2020 3D LUT way before HDR was a spec.

just take a step back and think.

if your screen has a meaningfully bigger colorsavce then BT 709 add a DCI P3 3D LUT. madVR will do the rest this option to load aDCI P3 3D LUT is not for fun in there and a DCI P3 3D LUT is defined by the source colorspace.

You're assuming too many things

The madvr calibration boxes has one for rec2020 and one for rec 709.

The dispcal lut output has a source colorspace box for rec2020 and rec709.

I can't assume what madvr may require a different setting from dispcal when using the different boxes.

So , THAT'S WHY I ASK, does madvr expect a different generation setting for a lut put into those different boxes.

This is perfectly reasonable on my end.
Old 20th February 2019, 12:28   #54869  |  Link
alexnt

I uninstalled both mpc hc & be last night and madvr, too.
I also deleted madvr's folder, rebooted and then I run a registry cleaning. I also deleted mpc's folder left in program files.

I reinstalled mpc and downloaded another(older version 91.4) of madvr and extracted the folder in another drive(c: - had it on d: ).

When I started playing a movie and opened madvr settings I noticed that my settings where there(all of them, even the hd profiles in scaling) but madvr folder didn't have "settings.bin" when I extected it. As I understand it retrieves previous settings and maybe that is the problem. Is there in other location that madvr creates folders and profiles, so if I clean them will solve the problem.

I don't believe what is happening is normal. I said before that there is not such issue with my brothers rig with 4670k and 660ti.
Gpu does all the rendering and so cpu drops clocks.
I have a 4690k and r9 290 and I know(because I have seen it) that madvr did't behave with the same way in the past.
alexnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 12:34   #54870  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnt View Post
I uninstalled both mpc hc & be last night and madvr, too.
I also deleted madvr's folder, rebooted and then I run a registry cleaning. I also deleted mpc's folder left in program files.

I reinstalled mpc and downloaded another(older version 91.4) of madvr and extracted the folder in another drive(c: - had it on d: ).

When I started playing a movie and opened madvr settings I noticed that my settings where there(all of them, even the hd profiles in scaling) but madvr folder didn't have "settings.bin" when I extected it. As I understand it retrieves previous settings and maybe that is the problem. Is there in other location that madvr creates folders and profiles, so if I clean them will solve the problem.

I don't believe what is happening is normal. I said before that there is not such issue with my brothers rig with 4670k and 660ti.
Gpu does all the rendering and so cpu drops clocks.
I have a 4690k and r9 290 and I know(because I have seen it) that madvr did't behave with the same way in the past.
There is a registry entry but cant remember off the top of my head, but restore default settings will take it all back to default which is in the same folder.

Have you tried using MPC-HCs default renderer before madVR to see if the CPU spikes, as it maybe due to MPC rather than madVR ?

EDIT : https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...50#post1842150

Last edited by madjock; 20th February 2019 at 12:36.
Old 20th February 2019, 12:43   #54871  |  Link
alexnt

Quote:
There is a registry entry but cant remember off the top of my head, but restore default settings will take it all back to default which is in the same folder.

Have you tried using MPC-HCs default renderer before madVR to see if the CPU spikes, as it maybe due to MPC rather than madVR ?

EDIT : https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...50#post1842150
I deleted the key and I will test mpc without madvr when I get home. I cannot test via remote desktop right now.

EDIT: Do you believe that I have to uninstall lav filters, too?
I also use Codec Tweak Tool for wmc. Does it affect mpc in any way?

Last edited by alexnt; 20th February 2019 at 12:51.
Old 20th February 2019, 13:04   #54872  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
I deleted the key and I will test mpc without madvr when I get home. I cannot test via remote desktop right now.

EDIT: Do you believe that I have to uninstall lav filters, too?
I also use Codec Tweak Tool for wmc. Does it affect mpc in any way?
Unsure tbh, I would wipe it all and do one thing at a time, depends how much it bothers you.

Theres not many people chiming in, and I have not seen your LAV settings or madVR settings as such, so its tricky to diagnose if indeed it is a problem as can be seen others are saying its not.

If it was all working fine before, only you will know if you changed anything, drivers, settings and the likes, so as I said its a tricky one to diagnose.

As I said before the only instance I see madVR in task manager is when I have the settings open, did you try playing a video with it closed.

EDIT : Thats actually not true, I see two instances of madVR with a movie running but not underneath MPC-BE

Last edited by madjock; 20th February 2019 at 13:10.
Old 20th February 2019, 13:24   #54873  |  Link
alexnt

Quote:
Unsure tbh, I would wipe it all and do one thing at a time, depends how much it bothers you.

Theres not many people chiming in, and I have not seen your LAV settings or madVR settings as such, so its tricky to diagnose if indeed it is a problem as can be seen others are saying its not.

If it was all working fine before, only you will know if you changed anything, drivers, settings and the likes, so as I said its a tricky one to diagnose.

As I said before the only instance I see madVR in task manager is when I have the settings open, did you try playing a video with it closed.
lav settings:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...65#post1866165

I will take a madvr screenshot when I install it and set it as I had before i remove it.

madvr settings open automatically in tray when I play a video, do you mean to close it from tray?

I removed amd drivers, yesterday, with ddu and installed older drivers but nothing changed.

can you post a screenshot of mpc internal filters?
Old 20th February 2019, 13:31   #54874  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
lav settings:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...65#post1866165

I will take a madvr screenshot when I install it and set it as I had before i remove it.

madvr settings open automatically in tray when I play a video, do you mean to close it from tray?

I removed amd drivers, yesterday, with ddu and installed older drivers but nothing changed.

can you post a screenshot of mpc internal filters?
Ah ok, well the majority are using D3D11 and native, as in don't select the video card in the box, can't see that affecting the CPU though. Still don't get the madVR bit, its maybe that having the settings open when madVR is getting played as it on screen with the settings, but that could be a red herring, I also don't see the settings showing on your screen and usually it sitts on top of everything.

I am sort of out of ideas tbh, I still think its MPC-HC or BE that is using the CPU, and maybe it just does on your system for whatever reason. or something I am not aware about.

When you say load on the CPU is it constant ? As I said don't go just by the multipliers as mine stays quite high doing the littlest thing.

EDIT : I was getting about 6% max on my CPU and madVR did show up this time under BE whilst playing a video, I give up.

Last edited by madjock; 20th February 2019 at 13:36.
Old 20th February 2019, 13:52   #54875  |  Link
clsid

AMD r9 290 does not support hardware acceleration of HEVC/H.265, nor does it do 4K H.264. So that's the simple reason for high CPU usage.

To see whether acceleration is active, you should look at the settings of an active instance of LAV Video decoder. Accessing it either through its systray icon, or through menu>play>filters in MPC.

DirectShow filters are loaded by the player similar as a DLL. They do not run as a separate process. Madvr subprocesses in task manager are not the renderer itself, but helper processes. For example for restoring refreshrate after closing player.
clsid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 13:56   #54876  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
amd r9 290 does not support hardware acceleration of hevc/h.265, nor does it do 4k h.264. So that's the simple reason for high cpu usage.
doh !
Old 20th February 2019, 13:59   #54877  |  Link
huhn

restore default settings.bat

this resets madVR including the registry you can find it in the madVR folder.
next you are playing an HEVC file with an R9 200 series card? then the CPU has to do the work this GPU doesn't support HEVC. the video has to be decoded that'S not madVR job.

there are settings that can use quite a lot of CPU cycles.one would be black bar detection.

and don't recommend DXVA native with it madVR can't deal with interlaced content at all. as long as this isn't fixed it shouldn't be blindly recommended to user if there is an alternative that works with all kind of normal content.
Old 20th February 2019, 14:03   #54878  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
and don't recommend DXVA native with it madVR can't deal with interlaced content at all. as long as this isn't fixed it shouldn't be blindly recommended to user if there is an alternative that works with all kind of normal content.

You talking to me ? I never recommended DVXA thats what he had.
Old 20th February 2019, 14:07   #54879  |  Link
huhn

i messed up it's D3D11 native that can't deal with intelranced content.

DXVA is "fine" at least for interlanced content
Old 20th February 2019, 14:08   #54880  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
i messed up it's D3D11 native that can't deal with intelranced content.

DXVA is "fine" at least for interlanced content
Ah ok, well I guess thats where all these guides and comments mess things up, as usually its the first thing people recommend.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling