Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 9th May 2015, 21:42   #721  |  Link
videofan3d

Re: Library libmfxsw64.dll needs to be placed in any directory which is specified in PATH environment variable.

If FRIMSource64.dll works for you, than you have it placed correctly and FRIM Premiere plugins will work as well.
(Or just simply copy libmfxsw64.dll to "Windows" or "Windows"\system32 directory...)
videofan3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 22:34   #722  |  Link
l33tmeatwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofan3d View Post
Re: Library libmfxsw64.dll needs to be placed in any directory which is specified in PATH environment variable.

If FRIMSource64.dll works for you, than you have it placed correctly and FRIM Premiere plugins will work as well.
(Or just simply copy libmfxsw64.dll to "Windows" or "Windows"\system32 directory...)
I actually didn't need to place that anywhere at all for FRIMSource64.dll to work, it just worked.
l33tmeatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 16:44   #723  |  Link
RenderGuy2

videofan3d, thank you for FRIMSource64 (and your work in general). I believe this is the first x64 MVC source filter.
RenderGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 17:00   #724  |  Link
nel-son

i tested frimsource for the first time (windows 7 x64, avisynth 2.58 32-bit, frimsource 32-bit). i have this message in avspmod when i try to open the video.

Quote:
can't initialize intel media sdk session
this is the line i use. is there an error?

frimsource(codec="mvc", filename="name.264", filename_dep="name.mvc", layout="sbs", cache=24, num_frames=126240)
nel-son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 19:07   #725  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel-son View Post
i tested frimsource for the first time (windows 7 x64, avisynth 2.58 32-bit, frimsource 32-bit). i have this message in avspmod when i try to open the video.

frimsource(codec="mvc", filename="name.264", filename_dep="name.mvc", layout="sbs", cache=24, num_frames=126240)
You have incorrectly installed core library libmfxsw32.dll.
Put it into directory which is in your %PATH%
Old 13th July 2015, 09:06   #726  |  Link
tartak

FRIMSource kind of works for me (no errors but AvsPmod and virtualdub show weird pictures swirling around or breaking down into blocks - even though either left or right part is sometimes good). But FRIMencode returns "ERROR: Cannot initiate Intel Media Encoder - invalid parameters. ERROR: invalid video parameters (-15), src\pipeline_encode.cpp (1068)". This is without -hs/sw specified. However, if I use -sw option, I get "ERROR: Cannot initialize Intel Media SDK session."
avs file: FRIMSource(codec="mvc", filename="in.264", filename_dep="in.mvc", layout="sbs", cache=20, num_frames=1500)
encode command: FRIMEncode -avi -sbs 2 -i test.avs -viewoutput -o::mvc out.avc out_d.mvc -vbr 28000 40000 -u 1

Could it some how relate to Intel drivers? My monitor is on an NVidia card but there is an Intel graphic chip on the motherboard (drivers are inactive).

PS.
FRIMSource also returns "ERROR: Cannot initialize Intel Media SDK session." if I use platform="sw"

Last edited by tartak; 13th July 2015 at 09:16.
tartak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 21:27   #727  |  Link
rocket_robot

Hi @VIDEOFAN3D,

I am trying to use myFFInfo within the FRIMSource .AVS file. FFVAR_PREFIX does not exist. (as it is part of FFVideoSource) . I just wondered if there was something I could do with FRIMSource that would be similar to display frame number and frame type? Do you have a Variable with Frame type?

thanks in advance.
rocket_robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 06:38   #728  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartak View Post
FRIMSource kind of works for me (no errors but AvsPmod and virtualdub show weird pictures swirling around or breaking down into blocks - even though either left or right part is sometimes good). But FRIMencode returns "ERROR: Cannot initiate Intel Media Encoder - invalid parameters. ERROR: invalid video parameters (-15), src\pipeline_encode.cpp (1068)". This is without -hs/sw specified. However, if I use -sw option, I get "ERROR: Cannot initialize Intel Media SDK session."
avs file: FRIMSource(codec="mvc", filename="in.264", filename_dep="in.mvc", layout="sbs", cache=20, num_frames=1500)
encode command: FRIMEncode -avi -sbs 2 -i test.avs -viewoutput -o::mvc out.avc out_d.mvc -vbr 28000 40000 -u 1

Could it some how relate to Intel drivers? My monitor is on an NVidia card but there is an Intel graphic chip on the motherboard (drivers are inactive).

PS.
FRIMSource also returns "ERROR: Cannot initialize Intel Media SDK session." if I use platform="sw"
The problem can be caused by bad intel drivers in hw mode, and by an incorrectly installed or outdated version of the Intel lib in sw mode. The pixelisation problem with some (rare) BDs is well known and is caused by outdated versions of the intel lib.

I use libmfxsw32.dll v6.14.11.28 (28/11/2014) in sw mode with BD3D2MK3D without problem and as far as I know, it's the first version that has no pixelisation bug. Normally, that library should be either in your Windows path or in the current directory. Try to copy it in the same directory than your avisynth script, or in your system32 directory.

I don't have the intel hardware and therefore I don't know the problems related to the drivers, but I know that old drivers were also very buggy. Be sure to install the latest drivers. If they are correctly installed, they should work fine in hw mode, except perhaps with some models of the intel graphic chips.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 07:39   #729  |  Link
tartak

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
The problem can be caused by bad intel drivers in hw mode, and by an incorrectly installed or outdated version of the Intel lib in sw mode. The pixelisation problem with some (rare) BDs is well known and is caused by outdated versions of the intel lib.

I use libmfxsw32.dll v6.14.11.28 (28/11/2014) in sw mode with BD3D2MK3D without problem and as far as I know, it's the first version that has no pixelisation bug. Normally, that library should be either in your Windows path or in the current directory. Try to copy it in the same directory than your avisynth script, or in your system32 directory.

I don't have the intel hardware and therefore I don't know the problems related to the drivers, but I know that old drivers were also very buggy. Be sure to install the latest drivers. If they are correctly installed, they should work fine in hw mode, except perhaps with some models of the intel graphic chips.
Thanks, installing the latest Intel drivers (May of this year) did the trick! My setup works now, in hw mode. The quality is very good.

The remaining concerns:
1) FRIMSource does not work with platform="sw" ("Cannot initialize Intel Media SDK session"). Is this expected? libmfxsw32.dll version 6.14.11.28 is in Windows\system32
2) I am getting less than 3 fps (2.8 to be exact) at "-u 1". That looks very, very slow. Quoting from the thread on MVCenc: "Can expect 80 - 90 fps for high quality 3D MVC transcoding BD50 to BD25 on modern i7-4770K based system and no less of 60 fps on i7-3770K". I have i7-3770 (with lots of RAM and everything else). Could the FRIMSource be the bottleneck?

Last edited by tartak; 15th July 2015 at 18:09.
Old 15th July 2015, 20:15   #730  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
The remaining concerns:
1) FRIMSource does not work with platform="sw" ("Cannot initialize Intel Media SDK session"). Is this expected? libmfxsw32.dll version 6.14.11.28 is in Windows\system32
2) I am getting less than 3 fps (2.8 to be exact) at "-u 1". That looks very, very slow. Quoting from the thread on MVCenc: "Can expect 80 - 90 fps for high quality 3D MVC transcoding BD50 to BD25 on modern i7-4770K based system and no less of 60 fps on i7-3770K". I have i7-3770 (with lots of RAM and everything else). Could the FRIMSource be the bottleneck?

ad 1.
I just quickly tested following AVS script:

Code:
LoadPlugin("c:\Prj\IntelMedia\_exe\x64\Release_v1.25\FRIMSource64.dll")

FILE3D="c:\Prj\IntelMedia\_testing\PANY.m2ts"

FRIMSource(codec="mvc", filename=FILE3D, filename_dep=FILE3D, container="ts", platform="sw", \
              layout="SBS", cache=24, reload=true, num_frames=350, log_file="c:\Prj\IntelMedia\_testing\Z1.log")
i.e. in SW mode - and without any issues.
Seems that something is wrong in your environment setting. (path or whatever)

ad 2. ad performance:
encoding is not fast, in SW mode it is slow.
And on my i7-4770K Haswell 3.50 GHz 16 GB RAM I have never achieved 80 fps in -hw mode. Far far below this!
I don't know where the above mentioned quote is coming from, neither what were the conditions for its measurement.
Please keep on mind that that also disk access (2x 3 MB per each frame) takes its cost. Working on SSD is visibly faster.
3 fps in Full HD3D in -u 1 might be realistic.
(You can check -u 7 and compare)

Last edited by videofan3d; 16th July 2015 at 05:49.
Old 15th July 2015, 20:17   #731  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_robot View Post
Hi @VIDEOFAN3D,

I am trying to use myFFInfo within the FRIMSource .AVS file. FFVAR_PREFIX does not exist. (as it is part of FFVideoSource) . I just wondered if there was something I could do with FRIMSource that would be similar to display frame number and frame type? Do you have a Variable with Frame type?

thanks in advance.
Sorry, I have no clue what are "myFFInfo", "FFVAR_PREFIX", "FFVideoSource".

Please provide clear specific example what you are doing (and want to do) - then I can check.
Old 16th July 2015, 06:25   #732  |  Link
tartak

Quote:
ad 1.
I just quickly tested following AVS script:

Code:
LoadPlugin("c:\Prj\IntelMedia\_exe\x64\Release_v1.25\FRIMSource64.dll")

FILE3D="c:\Prj\IntelMedia\_testing\PANY.m2ts"

FRIMSource(codec="mvc", filename=FILE3D, filename_dep=FILE3D, container="ts", platform="sw", \
              layout="SBS", cache=24, reload=true, num_frames=350, log_file="c:\Prj\IntelMedia\_testing\Z1.log")
i.e. in SW mode - and without any issues.
Seems that something is wrong in your environment setting. (path or whatever)
As I indicated, the dll is in the path, in windows\system32. Anything else I could check on?

Quote:
ad 2. ad performance:
encoding is not fast, in SW mode it is slow.
And on my i7-4770K Haswell 3.50 GHz 16 GB RAM I have never achieved 80 fps in -hw mode. Far far below this!
I don't know where the above mentioned quote is coming from, neither what were the conditions for its measurement.
Please keep on mind that that also disk access (2x 3 MB per each frame) takes its cost. Working on SSD is visibly faster.
3 fps in Full HD3D in -u 1 might be realistic.
(You can check -u 7 and compare)
The quote is from the top of the thread on MVCEnc. In that thread, they gave a solution to the performance problem: activate Intel drivers by faking a display . Which I did and Intel Media SDK System Analyzer showed HW supported afterwards (before this procedure, it showed only SW was supported - even though FRIMSource was working only in HW mode!). Now, I am getting 40 fps at -u 1 (just slightly faster, 42 fps at -u 3)! The files are read from a fast enterprise-grade drive (file transfers are usually above 120 MB/s sustained) and written to a Samsung pro SSD - so the IO is fine.
I think I can do without SW working at this point. Nonetheless, I will try to do more tests, run dependency walker, etc.

PS. I have tried MVCenc on the same setup, with the same full HD3D, and got 60 fps, exactly as they claim. MVCEnc ran in HW mode and reported SW as unavailable.

Last edited by tartak; 16th July 2015 at 06:43. Reason: added test with MVCenc
Old 16th July 2015, 10:17   #733  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
1. As I indicated, the dll is in the path, in windows\system32. Anything else I could check on?

2. Now, I am getting 40 fps at -u 1 (just slightly faster, 42 fps at -u 3)! The files are read from a fast enterprise-grade drive (file transfers are usually above 120 MB/s sustained) and written to a Samsung pro SSD - so the IO is fine.
I think I can do without SW working at this point. Nonetheless, I will try to do more tests, run dependency walker, etc.

PS. I have tried MVCenc on the same setup, with the same full HD3D, and got 60 fps, exactly as they claim. MVCEnc ran in HW mode and reported SW as unavailable.
ad 1. This is strange, difficult to identify remotely.
Check if libmfxswNN.dll is not corrupted, or if there is no other (corrupted, old) somewhere on your PC which could be found before the actual one....

Ad 2. Maybe MVCEnc uses different internal frame processing .... (well, SW differs - some are faster, some slower, some better, some worse, more features, less features, .... )
Old 16th July 2015, 14:04   #734  |  Link
rocket_robot

Quote:
Sorry, I have no clue what are "myFFInfo", "FFVAR_PREFIX", "FFVideoSource".

Please provide clear specific example what you are doing (and want to do) - then I can check.
Hi, Basically I want to use FRIMsource in AVSPmod, it is a program to preview .AVS scripts.

I use it to compare screenshots of different encodes to the original. Usually with a normal source I would have the following:

Code:
Import("F:\Encodes\FFMS2.avsi")
Import("F:\Encodes\avisynth\plugins\myffinfo.avsi")
LoadPlugin("F:\Encodes\ffms2.dll")
ffvideosource("f:\encodes\00800 - 2 - h264 (left eye), 1080p24.h264")
#crop(0,20,0,-20)
myFFInfo("Source")
myffinfo is a simple script that pops some useful text on the output like frame number and Frame type (I,P or B).

When I swap ffvideosource to FRIMSource, myffinfo does not work, (as expected).

I think myffinfo uses internal Variables passed from ffvideosource like FFVAR_PREFIX and FFPICT_TYPE, as it contains the frame type.

I just wondered if there was anything like FRAME_TYPE available in FRIMSource that I could use to display on the screen.

Thanks for you time.

myffinfo script below

Code:
function myFFInfo(clip c, string "bonusText") {

varprefix = FFVAR_PREFIX
bonusText = default(bonusText, "")

c.frameevaluate("""
        fftempstring = ""
        varprefix = """" + varprefix + """"
        bonusText = """" + bonusText + """"""")

frameevaluate("""fftempstring = fftempstring + "Frame Number: " + string(current_frame) + " of " + string(framecount()) + "\n" """, after_frame=true)
frameevaluate("""fftempstring = fftempstring + "Picture Type: " + chr(eval(varprefix + "FFPICT_TYPE")) + "\n" """, after_frame=true)
frameevaluate("""fftempstring = fftempstring + bonusText """, after_frame=true)

return scriptclip("subtitle(fftempstring, lsp = 1)", after_frame=true)

}
Old 16th July 2015, 16:45   #735  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_robot View Post
Hi, Basically I want to use FRIMsource in AVSPmod, it is a program to preview .AVS scripts.

I think myffinfo uses internal Variables passed from ffvideosource like FFVAR_PREFIX and FFPICT_TYPE, as it contains the frame type.

I just wondered if there was anything like FRAME_TYPE available in FRIMSource that I could use to display on the screen.
I see - got your point.

Unfortunately, Intel Media SDK doesn't return FRAME_TYPE (I,P,B) during decoding (I didn't find a way how to obtain it - although there is internal structure.variable named mfxBitStream.FrameType which could according to its name contain such info, it returns always 0 during decoding ).

(During encoding you can specify requested GOP structure (forced I-frames), but as I realized, it also doesn't work perfectly - there was a bug in past in libmfxhwNN.dll so it worked only in -sw mode with libmfxswNN.dll)

Sorry...
Old 16th July 2015, 17:45   #736  |  Link
rocket_robot

thanks anyway, I may have a plan..
Old 18th July 2015, 20:40   #737  |  Link
tartak

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nel-son View Post

Quote:
can't initialize intel media sdk session

You have incorrectly installed core library libmfxsw32.dll.
Put it into directory which is in your %PATH%
I've finally figured this out. I have the same environment and the same problem. Many people complain of this on various forums.

I tried Dependency Walker to see if there are statically linked missing dll's. There was none (it did report a bunch of missing stump "api" dll's but this is a well known problem of the Walker itself). I checked the Media SDK documentation - "can't initialize intel media sdk session" seems as something that SDK Dispatcher would produce when it is unable to locate the software library. Then I tried the most direct way: I deleted all other instances of 32 and 64 bit libmfxsw library and placed both dlls into the same directory as Media SDK system analyzers. Both 32 and 64-bit analyzers reported the soft library as supported. Then I moved these two dll's into Windows\system32 (which is definitely and always in the %PATH%). This time, the 64-bit analyzer reported the library as supported but the 32-bit one - as not! The whole thing has become obvious - I had had it in the past. On a 64-bit system, Windows\System32 is reserved for 64-bit dll's, while 32-bit dll's are supposed to reside in SysWOW64. However, normally you will not have SysWOW64 in your path. When a 32-bit app seeks a library and tries to access System32 directory, it is redirected (by file system redirector) to SysWOW64 (unless it somehow triggers UAC). So, I moved libmfxsw32.dll to SysWOW64 and everything is fine now.

Bottom line: %PATH% is not what it seems on a 64-bit Windows. Put libmfxsw32.dll into Windows\SysWOW64.
Old 19th July 2015, 20:04   #738  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Smart! Indeed, SYSWOW64 is the directory for the 32-bit system DLLs, despite its name!
Thanks for the tip.
Old 19th July 2015, 20:59   #739  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:

Bottom line: %PATH% is not what it seems on a 64-bit Windows. Put libmfxsw32.dll into Windows\SysWOW64.
Interesting finding, thanks on behalf of everyone here

I have defined in my Windows (just accidentally, without any my intended intervention )

Code:
PATH=%SYSTEMROOT%\;%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Wbem\;%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\; ...
This is why everything always worked for me ...
Old 20th July 2015, 09:58   #740  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Strange %PATH% content. According to the theory, SYSWOW64 should never be specified directly. If you put it in your path variable, that means that it will be searched by the 64-bit programs as well as system32, and since it is supposed to contain only 32-bit libs, that's just a waste of time. And 32-bit programs will search SYSWOW64 two times. The first time because when they search system32, they will be redirected to SYSWOW64 by Windows, and the second time because SYSWOW64 is explicitly specified. Again a waste of time.

As explained by tartak, the 32-bit libs should be copied to the correct directory, SYSWOW64, and all 32-bit programs should find them without problem, without SYSWOW64 in the %PATH%. 64-bit programs cannot use a 32-bit library anyway and therefore there is no need to place them in system32.

My method is to place a copy of the library in the directory containing the avisynth script. That has always worked fine. And for BD3D2MK3D, since the rendering is made with a batch script (ENCODE.cmd), I add the directory containing the lib to the %PATH% in ENCODE.cmd. Again, that has always worked fine. I prefer to keep system32 and SYSWOW64 for the system files officially installed by Windows.

Tags
encoders, mvc