Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 6th May 2018, 09:05   #6041  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

"System exception - Illegal Instruction" ... sounds like either this is a build using a CPU instruction set (SSE etc.) not available in your CPU, or a corrupt DLL for yadifmod2? Or 32/64 bit mixed?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 09:19   #6042  |  Link
Melan

It's some mistake of the cover. Change of parameters in the bookmark "Filters" - "Deinterlacing" isn't forcing changes in the bookmark "Script".

Edit
I exchanged the library from the last update on older - yadifmod2 2016-07-05 0.0.4 -1 and then again deinterlacing is acting.

Last edited by Melan; 6th May 2018 at 10:14.
Melan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 22:32   #6043  |  Link
Zathor

Code:
2849                        scripts with high bit depth are converted to 8 bit when processed internally (e.g. for VideoPlayer). part II
2848                        scripts with high bit depth are converted to 8 bit when processed internally (e.g. for VideoPlayer)
2847 [AviSynth Wrapper]     added high bit depth support
2846 [Audio Encoder]        only use TimeStretchPlugin() if AVS+ is not used
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 14:32   #6044  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
Code:
2849                        scripts with high bit depth are converted to 8 bit when processed internally (e.g. for VideoPlayer). part II
2848                        scripts with high bit depth are converted to 8 bit when processed internally (e.g. for VideoPlayer)
2847 [AviSynth Wrapper]     added high bit depth support
2846 [Audio Encoder]        only use TimeStretchPlugin() if AVS+ is not used
Nice, the high bit depth preview works. Just a pity avs4x26x doesn't support native high bit depth yet

Last edited by Gser; 7th May 2018 at 14:38.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 19:28   #6045  |  Link
hello_hello

Should the HD Streams Extractor be capable of extracting/converting EAC3 audio in an MKV? Currently it appears not to. AC3 is fine, but not EAC3.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 20:42   #6046  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Should the HD Streams Extractor be capable of extracting/converting EAC3 audio in an MKV? Currently it appears not to. AC3 is fine, but not EAC3.
Good question - does eac3to support this?
Old 7th May 2018, 20:44   #6047  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gser View Post
Nice, the high bit depth preview works. Just a pity avs4x26x doesn't support native high bit depth yet
You can disable the 64bit tools so that 32bit x264 is used.
Old 7th May 2018, 21:29   #6048  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Good question - does eac3to support this?
Yes. But it may be buggy and like with other formats eac3to dropped behind the development of the decoders/encoders in ffmpeg.

So try eac3to cli (with and without -core switch). Then make report to madshi. (But don't hold your breath for a fix.)
http://bugs.madshi.net/
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 21:57   #6049  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Problem already reported:
http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=450

See also https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=14384
Old 8th May 2018, 00:23   #6050  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
It's possible the HD Streams Extractor needs educating in respect to EAC3. I've tried several MKVs containing EAC3 audio and the HD Streams Extractor shows the stream type as "unknown" and prevents it's selection for extraction. According to MediaInfo they were standard 5.1ch.

Zathor,
The "Enable Custom Options" option doesn't stay checked after closing the HD Streams Extractor as the rest of the items under the Settings menu do. Was that by design??

Cheers.

Last edited by hello_hello; 8th May 2018 at 00:26.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:54   #6051  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
You can disable the 64bit tools so that 32bit x264 is used.
Please allow me to read the label on my container of hard to swallow pills: "Only idiots use 10-bit x264". There, everybody is welcome to get offended now, my inbox is ready.

My main intention of course is to use x265.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:54   #6052  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

If you generalize your bias that much, I won't be surprised about opposition. Especially people encoding anime/cartoons with x264 enjoyed the advantage of higher internal precision to avoid banding in slight color ramps.

Using x264 with 32-bit code is not a great issue; using x265 with 32-bit code is a much greater one (missing several levels of assembly optimization). So let's hope that avs4x26x is still maintained and can be improved shortly.

"Der Techniker ist informiert." In the hope that 06_taro still exists.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 12:46   #6053  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
If you generalize your bias that much, I won't be surprised about opposition. Especially people encoding anime/cartoons with x264 enjoyed the advantage of higher internal precision to avoid banding in slight color ramps.

Using x264 with 32-bit code is not a great issue; using x265 with 32-bit code is a much greater one (missing several levels of assembly optimization). So let's hope that avs4x26x is still maintained and can be improved shortly.

"Der Techniker ist informiert." In the hope that 06_taro still exists.
Alas you have found out my target audience. I'm sure they are too busy marrying their body pillows to mind.
German anime is another matter though:https://youtu.be/JEBBvIsBAEs

Hmmm 06_taro's last forum activity is 28th April 2018 05:56, so he may still be alive.

Last edited by Gser; 8th May 2018 at 13:30.
Old 8th May 2018, 21:11   #6054  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
It's possible the HD Streams Extractor needs educating in respect to EAC3. I've tried several MKVs containing EAC3 audio and the HD Streams Extractor shows the stream type as "unknown" and prevents it's selection for extraction. According to MediaInfo they were standard 5.1ch.
When extracting from a blu-ray this format is called E-AC3 in the log and when using a MKV it is EAC3. So yes, this was unknown.

Quote:
The "Enable Custom Options" option doesn't stay checked after closing the HD Streams Extractor as the rest of the items under the Settings menu do. Was that by design??
No, it should save that. Let me check.
Old 9th May 2018, 13:50   #6055  |  Link
Zetti

MediaInfo v18.05 is released.
Zetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 20:28   #6056  |  Link
kalehrl

I just noticed in the x264 configuration dialog '--qpmax 69' entry which I didn't see before so I wonder why it is there?

EDIT: Got it sorted by loading defaults.

Last edited by kalehrl; 9th May 2018 at 20:56.
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 08:04   #6057  |  Link
THEAST

@Zathor, thank you for regular updates to MeGUI. I wanted to mention two observations:

1- Recently a confirmation has been added to the updater in MeGUI that for every single package that needs to be updated, it generates a message that the package is not available offline and asks the user if they want to download it from the internet. To be honest, I don't see why this confirmation is even required, especially for every single package. This forces the user to keep MeGUI on top throughout the update process and confirm the update of every single package manually. An option to disable this confirmation would be very much appreciated.

2- Extracting packages during update seems to be much slower than it should be on all of my machines. Extracting packages takes 10-15 seconds despite their small size, while extracting the same files directly using 7-zip takes less than a second. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that there is a minimum "animation time" for the bar that shows the extraction progress and even if the package is extracted before the bar finishes, the process does not exit before the animation reaches the end. Or maybe there is regular synchronization between the extraction process and the animation process, resulting in sub-optimal performance. Right now, on my machine, extracting the updates takes 5 times longer than downloading them.

Last edited by THEAST; 10th May 2018 at 10:22.
THEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 12:30   #6058  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetti View Post
MediaInfo v18.05 is released.
Thanks!
Old 10th May 2018, 13:27   #6059  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehrl View Post
I just noticed in the x264 configuration dialog '--qpmax 69' entry which I didn't see before so I wonder why it is there?[/IMG]

EDIT: Got it sorted by loading defaults.
It related to the 8 bit & 10 bit encoders being combined, but I think when 10 bit encoding is not checked in the encoder configuration, MeGUI should automatically change the qpmax value in the GUI to 69 and/or limit it to 69. I don't think it's good for a GUI to show you it's doing one thing when it's really doing something else, so personally I think MeGUI adding --qpmax 69 to the command line was a good thing.

Actually, the GUI is a little naughty when --no-psy is checked. Ideally that should disable the PSY strength options rather than let you configure them as I'm pretty sure x264 ignores them. It doesn't write them to the output stream when psy=0 (--no-psy).
Old 10th May 2018, 13:47   #6060  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAST View Post
1- Recently a confirmation has been added to the updater in MeGUI that for every single package that needs to be updated, it generates a message that the package is not available offline and asks the user if they want to download it from the internet. To be honest, I don't see why this confirmation is even required, especially for every single package. This forces the user to keep MeGUI on top throughout the update process and confirm the update of every single package manually. An option to disable this confirmation would be very much appreciated.
Correct, as you have disabled automatic updates there are some questions. I agree that it may be a bit too much, however you have disabled the automatic update check. Why do you not enable it if I may ask? If I understand the use case better it would help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAST View Post
2- Extracting packages during update seems to be much slower than it should be on all of my machines. Extracting packages takes 10-15 seconds despite their small size, while extracting the same files directly using 7-zip takes less than a second. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that there is a minimum "animation time" for the bar that shows the extraction progress and even if the package is extracted before the bar finishes, the process does not exit before the animation reaches the end. Or maybe there is regular synchronization between the extraction process and the animation process, resulting in sub-optimal performance. Right now, on my machine, extracting the updates takes 5 times longer than downloading them.
Thanks, known behaviour. I would not call it issue as it works - it is only a bit slow. To be honest I forgot about that topic as the prio is quite low. Maybe I will have a look in the near future.