Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Old 16th October 2019, 10:53   #1  |  Link
markfilipak

No suitable Python 3.7 (64-bit) installation found

When I attempt install, I get
"No suitable Python 3.7 (64-bit) installation found."

I had previously installed Python 3.8 (64-bit), rebooted, and run it.

Is there something special I need to do?

Regards,
Mark.

Last edited by markfilipak; 16th October 2019 at 10:59.
markfilipak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 11:18   #2  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfilipak View Post
When I attempt install, I get
"No suitable Python 3.7 (64-bit) installation found."

I had previously installed Python 3.8 (64-bit), rebooted, and run it.

Is there something special I need to do?

Regards,
Mark.
Did you install python 3.7.x?
Old 16th October 2019, 16:46   #3  |  Link
markfilipak

I installed Python 3.8 (64-bit).
Old 16th October 2019, 16:55   #4  |  Link
ChaosKing

You need python 3.7.x. Vapoursynth (latest versions) wont work with other versions of python on windows.
Old 16th October 2019, 16:58   #5  |  Link
markfilipak

Okay. I'll regress to Python 3.7.

Thanks.

(Seems a little strange to me.)
Old 16th October 2019, 17:30   #6  |  Link
markfilipak

Sorry to be a bother. You see, I don't usually allow Windows to access the Internet.

The install failed.

I got this notice:
"Error sending request"
when I attempted to download the Visual C++ run-time.

Sysinternals Process Explorer says the notice is from
'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\is-QJPUU.tmp\VapourSynth64-R47.2.tmp'.
I added a firewall rule to allow the connection.
That failed.

I modified the firewall rule to allow
'D:\D\DownThemAll!\VapourSynth64-R47.2.exe'
to connect.
That failed.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Mark.

PS: The command line for the VC++ download is
'"C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\is-QJPUU.tmp\VapourSynth64-R47.2.tmp" /SL5="$60738,7539181,721408,D:\D\DownThemAll!\VapourSynth64-R47.2.exe"'

That's just about the strangest command line I've seen. :-)

Last edited by markfilipak; 16th October 2019 at 17:41. Reason: Addition
Old 16th October 2019, 17:59   #7  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Okay. I'll regress to Python 3.7.

Thanks.

(Seems a little strange to me.)
Major Python versions usually have some breaking changes. VS only supports one major version at a time. If you use Python for other things as well you can use pyenv or something to manage multiple versions.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 18:01   #8  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Sorry to be a bother. You see, I don't usually allow Windows to access the Internet.

The install failed.

I got this notice:
"Error sending request"
when I attempted to download the Visual C++ run-time.

Sysinternals Process Explorer says the notice is from
'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\is-QJPUU.tmp\VapourSynth64-R47.2.tmp'.
I added a firewall rule to allow the connection.
That failed.

I modified the firewall rule to allow
'D:\D\DownThemAll!\VapourSynth64-R47.2.exe'
to connect.
That failed.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Mark.

PS: The command line for the VC++ download is
'"C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\is-QJPUU.tmp\VapourSynth64-R47.2.tmp" /SL5="$60738,7539181,721408,D:\D\DownThemAll!\VapourSynth64-R47.2.exe"'

That's just about the strangest command line I've seen. :-)
I have no idea what might be going on there but you can always try the portable version if you don't want to use the installer.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 18:09   #9  |  Link
markfilipak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I have no idea what might be going on there but you can always try the portable version if you don't want to use the installer.
If the portable version relies on a VC++ run-time, then it will fail, too. If it doesn't, then why does the installed version rely on a VC++ run-time?

Would you like me to explain what's going on there?
Old 16th October 2019, 18:54   #10  |  Link
ChaosKing

If you have VC++ runtimes already installed then uncheck them in the vapoursynth installer.
Old 16th October 2019, 19:28   #11  |  Link
markfilipak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKing View Post
If you have VC++ runtimes already installed then uncheck them in the vapoursynth installer.
No, I don't have the VC++ run-times installed.

And I did uncheck '[_] Visual Studio 2019 Runtime' as an experiment. It changed nothing -- VC++ run-time was still required and failed the installer.

That command line is very, very strange.
A file named 'C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\is-QJPUU.tmp\VapourSynth64-R47.2.tmp' IS NOT created by 'VapourSynth64-R47.2.exe'. It doesn't exist, either during the (failed) installation or after.

Why do you need VC++?
Old 16th October 2019, 19:43   #12  |  Link
markfilipak

Well, I unchecked all the options in the installer and I installed it. ...or did I?

There is no executable. The 'Start Menu' 'Programs' 'VaporSynth (64-bit)' lists these:
Documentation (Online).url
Global Autoload Directory.lnk
User Autoload Directory.lnk
VapourSynth Website.url
None of them are programs.

What is going on?
Old 16th October 2019, 19:51   #13  |  Link
ChaosKing

There is no "Vapoursynth.exe". VS is a dll just like avisynth. Download vsedit https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170965 to make your life easier.
Or You could also download my VS portable pack (see signature link). It has everything you need to get started (inc. plugins/scripts), no installation needed. Start vapoursynth editor and open the test.vpy file.

Edit: the pack has also .bat examples for x264/x265

Last edited by ChaosKing; 16th October 2019 at 20:00.
ChaosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 22:01   #14  |  Link
markfilipak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKing View Post
There is no "Vapoursynth.exe". VS is a dll just like avisynth.
Well, I guess there's the problem. You see, I've never used avisynth. I'm coming from HandBrake, and as good as HandBrake is (except for the built-in presets, all of which produce some judder -- but not my custom presets), I'm frustrated by what it obviously does that is background/hidden and is not telling me about, and by it's lack of documentation. A fellow on #MPV named JEEB recommended VapourSynth. I'm trying to install (or whatever) VS so I can see what it is.

I've written/poached some ffprobe & ffmpeg commands to help me ascertain the container metadata & raw frame characteristics of various DVDs so that I can determine the type of source files: '480i24' (i.e., soft telecine, simultaneous odd/even fields) v. '480i30-telecine' (i.e., hard telecine, 2-3 pull-down, simultaneous odd/even fields) v. '480i30-telecast' (i.e., sequential odd/even fields). I can't see how anyone can begin a transcode without knowing such things -- the alternative is trial-&-error -- but HandBrake doesn't have facilities to input the source video characteristics. When I ask about this, I'm told that the decoder outputs what it outputs... in other words, there's no alternative except trial-&-error.

Quote:
Download vsedit https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170965 to make your life easier.
Or You could also download my VS portable pack (see signature link). It has everything you need to get started (inc. plugins/scripts), no installation needed. Start vapoursynth editor and open the test.vpy file.
Thanks much. I will download your offerings, with my sincere appreciation.

Regards,
Mark.

PS: Of your various offerings, what do you recommend? -- I don't know what your offerings are.

PPS: I'm running Win10 as Host OS, Linux as Guest OS. I do video work in Win10.

Last edited by markfilipak; 17th October 2019 at 04:45. Reason: additional PS
Old 17th October 2019, 04:43   #15  |  Link
markfilipak

I found 'test.vpy', loaded it, and did 'Script' 'Encode video'. Here's what I got
Quote:
2019-10-17 00:37:44.258
Ready to encode script D:/D/DownThemAll!/VapourSynth64Portablexs_2019_10_09/test.vpy
2019-10-17 00:38:32.444
Command line:
"D:/D/DownThemAll!/VapourSynth64Portablexs_2019_10_09/bin/x264.exe" --demuxer y4m --preset medium --crf 16 --output-depth 10 -o "D:/D/DownThemAll!/VapourSynth64Portablexs_2019_10_09\x264_10bit_video.mkv" -
Checking the encoder sanity.
y4m [error]: bad sequence header magic
x264 [error]: could not open input file `-'
Encoder seems sane. Starting.
Encoder started. Beginning encoding.
y4m [error]: bad sequence header magic
x264 [error]: could not open input file `-'
2019-10-17 00:38:32.561
Error on writing data to encoder.
Expected to write: 1382400 bytes. Data written: 0 bytes.
Aborting.
2019-10-17 00:38:32.623
Aborted encoding.

Last edited by markfilipak; 17th October 2019 at 05:44. Reason: Total Transformation
Old 17th October 2019, 05:42   #16  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Well, thanks, ChaosKing, but I'm sorry to say that I'm going to have to give up on VapourSynth. I looked at your stuff. I didn't know what it was, or what to download.

I guess my inexperience with avisynth is just too much to overcome.

Why didn't you start with avisynth?

I think it's easier to use, more people use it, more guides and help . For what you want to do with DVD processing, it works well, very mature, and has been used for years. In some ways for DVD processing, it's better than vapoursynth as the avisynth TIVTC plugin has more functions for field matching and decimation modes than vapoursynth's VIVTC.
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 06:05   #17  |  Link
markfilipak

Hi poisondeathray,

Thanks for contributing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Why didn't you start with avisynth?

I think it's easier to use, more people use it, more guides and help . For what you want to do with DVD processing, it works well, very mature, and has been used for years. In some ways for DVD processing, it's better than vapoursynth as the avisynth TIVTC plugin has more functions for field matching and decimation modes than vapoursynth's VIVTC.
May I ask a very basic question: What do these programs (or DLLs) do?

Some background, first...
I've been somewhat frustrated when attempting to transcode particular i30 special features. From the looks of the results, I'd say that the sources from which the videos were made were a mix of p24 movie clips (pulled down to i30) and 30fps TV interviews (sequential fields). For the clips, I can detelecine to find Joy. For the interviews, I would leave alone but HandBrake only outputs progressive, so there's some judder. But if I detelecine the whole thing, the interview judder is really bad.

I assume avisynth & vapoursynth would empower me to apply differing filters based on, for example, frame # ranges. Right? Well, if I knew more than I do, I could do that with ffmpeg, so why would I need avisynth or vapoursynth?

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Old 17th October 2019, 06:44   #18  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
May I ask a very basic question: What do these programs (or DLLs) do?
dll's are dynamic link libraries. In avisynth or vapoursynth they are just "plugins" or the code for specific functions or operations wrapped up nicely

These "programs" are just frameworks for video /image/ audio processing. Various types of processing tasks .

In your case here, inverse telecine, proper deinterlacing, but they can do a lot more, things like denoising, upscaling, enhancing, color correction etc...

Quote:
Some background, first...
I've been somewhat frustrated when attempting to transcode particular i30 special features. From the looks of the results, I'd say that the sources from which the videos were made were a mix of p24 movie clips (pulled down to i30) and 30fps TV interviews (sequential fields). For the clips, I can detelecine to find Joy. For the interviews, I would leave alone but HandBrake only outputs progressive, so there's some judder. But if I detelecine the whole thing, the interview judder is really bad.

That is known as VFR content. Mixed content frame rates. Those interview segments with motion in sequential fields are really 59.94 field/s interlaced. You would need double rate deinterlacing to 59.94p to preserve everything. The 23.976p sections would need to be inverse telecined.

Timecode (timestamp) based VFR means each section runs at it's proper framerate. 23.976p sections run at 23.976p , 59.94p run at 59.94p, and so forth . This type of processing is more difficult to do than "normal" DVD's, but there are guides on how to do it. The timecodes tell the player how long the frames display for, and keep everything in sync

Quote:
I assume avisynth & vapoursynth would empower me to apply differing filters based on, for example, frame # ranges. Right? Well, if I knew more than I do, I could do that with ffmpeg, so why would I need avisynth or vapoursynth?

ffmpeg is buggy with DVD processing. This has been demonstrated with clear evidence. Even though some of the same filters were ported from avisynth, the results are different on the same DVD. Most recently maybe a 1 or 2 years ago at videohelp. 6-7 retail DVD samples were posted and run through avisynth, vapoursynth or ffmpeg. A ffmpeg developer was there too (richardpl).

My theory is it has to do with either frame accurate seeks (Typically you'd use DGIndex in avisynth, it's frame accurate) , and/or that ffmpeg library/libavcodec version. FFMS2 versions of avisynth (based on the same ffmpeg libraries) can have problems with DVD too. This was demonstrated in another thread here. Very old versions of ffms2 seem to work, so that's where that library theory comes from.

Deinterlacing. ffmpeg doesn't have anything like QTGMC. Overall, QTGMC is the best general use deinterlacer by a fair margin . You also have other choices for edge cases. Handbrake doesn't have QTGMC either, it has basically equivalent to yadifmod with EEDI2 interpolation for it's higher quality mode (not as good)
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 07:30   #19  |  Link
ChaosKing

Quote:
I found 'test.vpy', loaded it, and did 'Script' 'Encode video'. Here's what I got
vsedit has a small bug. When you open the encode dialog the first time after app start it won't set the Header to Y4M (it shows no header). Just select another profile and then select the previous again or just set it to y4m by yourself.
Old 17th October 2019, 08:11   #20  |  Link
stax76

@markfilipak

staxrip is well suited for avisynth and vapoursynth beginners, it supports both avisynth and vapoursynth and also qtgmc for both and 200 other plugins and scripts. Any plugin or script can be integrated and any parameters can be used with the integrated code editor.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
64-bit, found, installation, python, suitable