Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th April 2017, 08:31   #43541  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
As I have CLEARLY stated - disabling any or all of the items related to Xbox Overlay, Game Bar, Game Dvr, Game Mode, FullScreen Optimizations has absolutely 0 effect on playback behavior that began to occur after Creator's Update.
And everything runs just fine for me. Your system must be borked.
Old 30th April 2017, 09:10   #43542  |  Link
Tsukinyan

It's not just Monarch. I, too, am having some issues. My problems arise when seeking further in anime. Audio plays but the image freezes. This only occurs while in full screen (I don't use FSE). More info available on request, but I don't think I have anything new to contribute other than confirming that Creator's Update messed with my clean MadVR installation.
Tsukinyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 10:26   #43543  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
And everything runs just fine for me. Your system must be borked.
Same here - the Creator Update had no noticeable impact whatsoever on madVR operation on my system. Whatever these issues are, they are definitely not universal.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 10:29   #43544  |  Link
ryrynz

Might just unblock updates and give creator's a shot on my system, can always revert. Was going to hold off a few months but since it's not a given I'll have problems I might as well try it.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 11:52   #43545  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Easier said than done: photo is the best I could do, with playback on pause.

Render times are around 18ms with MPC-BE x64 Bicubic75 for all scaling
Render times are around 45ms with MPC-BE x64 Bicubic75 for all scaling plus smoothmotion enabled.

I'm not certain, but the image looks a bit softer than I would expect, so I wonder if the process is throwing away lines and then scaling back up again for presentation because it does mention the image is 1920x1080 and it does present in a 1920x1080 window. However, it does sort of work.

I have to stop the LG OLED from orbiting the screen, otherwise the eye views swap after a time period. Also, because I'm driving the desktop effectively as 2D, the LG doesn't detect 3D and automatically switch into 3D mode with extra OLED Light, so I have to manually use a different preset to watch 3D. Apart from this, it works well because I can watch 3D and 2D just by putting 3D glasses on or removing them and the desktop doesn't change hugely.
i can't see your screen can you please upload it somewhere else?

and is this a 2 GB 1050?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 13:30   #43546  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

The Creators update definitely did some weird stuff on my laptop. It took a while for my GTX 1060 to even be supported by the new GeForce drivers (some sort of incompatibility with ASUS systems apparently), and now whenever I close the lid on my laptop the madVR image freezes. Resizing the window gets it moving again but it's a slideshow - I have to reopen MPC-HC to fix the problem. I don't have Game Mode or the Game Bar turned on so it isn't that, but I haven't tried going back to the pre-Creators Update drivers yet (378.92).

Edit: The problem also isn't consistently reproducible, unfortunately, so doing any tests is difficult.

Edit2: Hmm, I wonder if the latest cumulative update may have helped with that: "Addressed issue where running Win32 Direct3D applications or games in full-screen exclusive mode causes the system to become unresponsive when resuming from Connected Standby." Not quite what I was talking about, but maybe related anyway.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 30th April 2017 at 14:15.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 13:44   #43547  |  Link
IanD

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i can't see your screen can you please upload it somewhere else?

and is this a 2 GB 1050?
I'm not having any difficulty opening the attachment to my post, but it does say "pending approval", so perhaps no-one else can see it yet.

Yes, this is a 2GB GTX 1050

With more experimentation, I can get an OU 3D presentation that looks significantly sharper than line interleaved and an SBS 3D presentation that is between the two for sharpness with rendering times of around 20ms.

I can understand the SBS being less sharp because the individual 1920x1080 eye views must be scaled to 1920x2160 and stacked SBS for fullscreen presentation by the GPU, then in the LG they are unstacked and each scaled to 3840x1080 before being interleaved. This means 1080->2160, then 2160->1080 scaling which is redundant, whereas OU only requires a single scale of 1920->3840.

I suspect there is a bug in the line interleaved process where scaling is happening when it shouldn't: whether that is in the decoder, player or renderer I'm not sure.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 14:14   #43548  |  Link
huhn

without on image i can't tell you. the approval of attachment can take a while easily days and more.

but i can tell you that you will run out of Vram when scaling to UHD. 2Gb is not save for UHD usages.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 17:05   #43549  |  Link
BluesFanUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Ah... got it!

You cannot enable Game Mode for specific games without the Game Bar. Game Mode set to ON simply means "Allow the use of Game Mode" without enforcing it, but you have to use the Game Bar to actually select and activate Game Mode for whichever game. Launch any supported game, press Win + G to make Game Bar show up and there will be a "Enable Game Mode for This Game" box that you tick. That is what Microsoft says here - http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/...e-gaming-on-pc , although it says Game Mode may be activated for some games (the box already ticked), I never had that happen with my games.

What is weird is I think too few people are looking into the issue of Creator's Update causing dropped frames and glitches in madVR, even when Game Mode, Game Bar, and FullScreen Optimizations are disabled. I still can't use 23.970Hz without having severe frame drops and glitches, but I am fine at 24.000Hz. That only makes me lucky that 24.000Hz works, but for many others it does not.
FSE mode just creates a huge number of dropped frames for me, as well as the odd stutter during play back. With it turned off my videos play without a hitch. It's a really buggy feature all round IMO, best left untouched.

On another note, I now get random occassions when I open a video in PotPlayer, and it's a black screen, but the audio plays. Close, reopen, close, reopon, then the video plays (sometimes). With MadVR turned off it I don't get the same issue.

I can't pin point why it's doing it. Have uninstalled MadVR, PotPlayer and all the LavFilters, reinstalled PotPlayer and MadVR at its basic and it still happens.

I've got a feeling its this new Creators update from Windows 10. It's a seriously crap update, the start button has got all kind of bugs on it too. Maybe it's messed with my graphics drivers?
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 21:53   #43550  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanUK View Post
FSE mode just creates a huge number of dropped frames for me, as well as the odd stutter during play back. With it turned off my videos play without a hitch. It's a really buggy feature all round IMO, best left untouched.

On another note, I now get random occassions when I open a video in PotPlayer, and it's a black screen, but the audio plays. Close, reopen, close, reopon, then the video plays (sometimes). With MadVR turned off it I don't get the same issue.

I can't pin point why it's doing it. Have uninstalled MadVR, PotPlayer and all the LavFilters, reinstalled PotPlayer and MadVR at its basic and it still happens.

I've got a feeling its this new Creators update from Windows 10. It's a seriously crap update, the start button has got all kind of bugs on it too. Maybe it's messed with my graphics drivers?
They definitely did something to their graphics system because even new NVidia drivers now have the "Default Settings" (as in Windows 10 CU Defaults) and "NVidia Settings".

I get no stutters or micro-sttuters or out-of-sync video. What I do get are dropped frames + presentation glitches when playing 23.976p content using 23.970Hz refresh rate, something that never happened before. ReClock reports that everything is in sync, but madVR says there are dropped frames and glitches.

Luckily FOR ME, using 24.000Hz refresh rate (that my TV also supports) allows for issue-free playback of 23.976p content - no dropped frames or presentation glitches. The same goes for my 120Hz monitor - no dropped frames or presentation glitches when 120Hz is used. I have not checked if 59/60Hz has an issue yet.

Nobody knows what exactly causes Creator's Update issues like mine and yours and how to fix it. It probobly IS their new Game Mode / Optimization / FS Optimizations / Xbox Overlay system, but disabling and forcibly removing it did not resolve the issue.

I mean it could be that ReClock is incorrect and madVR is correct when displaying statistics data/info. I could be that madVR shows dropped frames, in reality there aren't any and its all smooth because I stated, I have no experience any jerkiness or weird motion when there is a dropped frame every 3 seconds... I don't know, but I do wish madshi would figure this out for the sake of madVR working on the latest OS with the latest update and those who are having similar problems. I was just lucky to "fix" mine if you could call it a "fix"...

On the other hand I did notice slight improvement in game FPS (benchmark-tested) and reduced driver latencies (LatencyMon) after the update.
Old 1st May 2017, 07:10   #43551  |  Link
creativeopinion

HDR passthrough to nvidia

Hi!

I'm not sure if my settings are correct but when playing HDR content my picture mode doesn't change so it stays at cinema pro. I thought it will automatically switch to HDR mode but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here. Thanks!

Sony KD55-9305XD
Nvidia GeForce 1070
Latest madVR 91.9
MPC-HC nightly version: 1.7.10.296

madVR is setup -> tv -> hdr -> passthrough HDR content to the display -> send HDR metadata to the display -> use Nvidia's private API
creativeopinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 08:41   #43552  |  Link
Ginnoji

How to pass through HDR metadata on Windows 10 1703

This is how I was able to get HDR videos to pass through the HDR metadata to my TV:

Software used:
madVR v0.91.9
LAV Filters 0.69.0-44
MPC-HC 1.7.11.13 x64
Nvidia display driver 381.89
Windows 10 1703

Nvidia Control Panel:
http://i.imgur.com/M5KxTx3.png

Windows 10 System settings:
http://i.imgur.com/23Mp535.png

Media player Windows properties:
http://i.imgur.com/CMDgYy2.png

madVR settings:
http://i.imgur.com/qoR6NV6.png
http://i.imgur.com/XpRAzbx.png
http://i.imgur.com/4Pl6Rk1.png

Image quality was similar to the TV's internal media player.
Choosing Nvidia's API or Microsoft's API didn't seem to have an impact on image quality.
I used a 980 Ti to conduct the above test.
Ginnoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 09:49   #43553  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Operating System? Nvidia driver version? Screenshot of madvr OSD during playback (ctrl+j)?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 10:06   #43554  |  Link
creativeopinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Operating System? Nvidia driver version? Screenshot of madvr OSD during playback (ctrl+j)?
Windows 7, x64
Nvidia Driver version: 381.89, release date 25/04/2017
OSD: https://www.sendspace.com/file/gkrisg
creativeopinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 11:53   #43555  |  Link
mueslibrown

Creators update applied yesterday - all working fine for me ...

JRiver MC22 22.0.97
Nvidia GTX 980
Madvr 0.91.8
Geforce 381.65
Lav Nightly 0.69.0-44
mueslibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 12:17   #43556  |  Link
ryrynz

Also just updated to Creators, changed NV control panel back to adaptive, re added the custom 24hz mode and it's running beautifully.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 16:50   #43557  |  Link
Knight77

Hi guys, semi-OT here: my HTPC is using a GTX1070, let's say 99% just for madvr/Kodi and music. My Nvidia drivers are ones of a January release and everything works fine, should I update anyway or since everything is running well just let it be? What's your opinion on this topic?
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 16:54   #43558  |  Link
Knight77

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeopinion View Post
Hi!

I'm not sure if my settings are correct but when playing HDR content my picture mode doesn't change so it stays at cinema pro. I thought it will automatically switch to HDR mode but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here. Thanks!

Sony KD55-9305XD
Nvidia GeForce 1070
Latest madVR 91.9

madVR is setup -> tv -> hdr -> passthrough HDR content to the display -> send HDR metadata to the display -> use Nvidia's private API
Same video card and same TV (mine is 65XD9305 but shouldn't make any difference) and everything works fine with those settings. Maybe is the video file?
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 17:28   #43559  |  Link
lunnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeopinion View Post
Hi!

Sony KD55-9305XD
Nvidia GeForce 1070
Latest madVR 91.9

Could also be related to the Nvidia Drivers version, what version are you on?
lunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 17:33   #43560  |  Link
lunnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
When a JVC projector receives HDR metadata it gets locked into HDR mode. This doesn't actually do anything other than turning off the dynamic iris and defaulting to a JVC predefined HDR-gammacurve. The major selling point for a JVC is the black levels, hence we want the dynamic iris. Also, custom gamma curves give better results than JVC's own solution so it's nice to have a user mode properly setup for HDR that doesn't default to a worse JVC curve.

The current go-to solution to get the best result with UHD material is to buy an HDFury Linker for 200$ in order to strip the hdr metadata before the JVC receives it. With Madvr, we are basically getting this functionality without having to buy a separate device.

All information can be found on avsforum.
Wow I totally understand now, thanks.
lunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling