Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th April 2011, 03:05   #1  |  Link
Applellial

19 ethernet wall jacks. what hardware?

I would like to install 19 ethernet wall jacks in my house in various rooms and over 2 floors (i don't like wireless) all converging in a single internet connection. There could be as many as 5 or 6 computers connected at the same time. is there a router which has 19 ports? I heard about something called a switch wich supposedly is cheaper than a router but I am worried about the dreaded "this ip address is in use" messages when connecting more than one Mac at a time. What would be the easiest way to hook up that many jacks? thanks much in advance.
Applellial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 12:24   #2  |  Link
AnonCrow

Exactly 19 ports ? Not likely. An abundance of 24-port switches and plenty of 20-port ones.
Might consider using a two or three 8/12/16-port routers , both connected to your DSL (or the 4-port switch you already have); depends on if you want an easily set-up internal network, or are happy doing any computer-2-computer networking via the internet rather than via the router.

Using ethernet over power adapters would be easier, but with that many connections (either many adapters or a 4 port router needed in most rooms) , not necessarily cheaper.

With that many concurrent connections needed, using NAT is pretty much a given.
AnonCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 13:58   #3  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applellial View Post
I would like to install 19 ethernet wall jacks
You need first a 24-port switch; and I strongly recommend a Gigabit switch e.g. DLink DGS-1024D is a nice one. While you're pulling wire, use CAT6 instead of garden-variety CAT5E.

Then you need a Router which connects to the Internet (has a WAN port) and connect it to your gigabit switch using a LAN connection. So you have 19 connections to the Gigabit switch, and a 20th connected to your Router, and you're golden.

As you'll want/need to move files between your connected home PCs, you'll be glad you went gigabit (though you may have to upgrade the LAN hardware on some of your PCs er I mean Macs)!
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 15:42   #4  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

For wall wiring you will want solid wiring rather than stranded, and shielded.
ramicio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 04:12   #5  |  Link
Stereodude

You don't want shielding cabling. It needs special shielded keystones / patch panels to work properly. You want solid in wall rated cable. Use a router + a 24 port gigabit switch.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 05:21   #6  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

Yea, OK, because having a shield is going to introduce noise without grounds tied together...rolling me eyes. This isn't CATV or stereo..there is no defined source end. Those metal-shielded jacks and plugs are for people who want to be the most anal they can be.
ramicio is offline   Reply With Quote