Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 30th July 2021, 13:34   #30761  |  Link
musiclover

turning subtitle to default ON

I think I remember a time when right clicking on a subtitle in the stream window of BDRB would turn the subtitle ON by default. Is it correct to assume that this function has been removed? I, for one, am not able to get it working.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2021, 21:20   #30762  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
I think I remember a time when right clicking on a subtitle in the stream window of BDRB would turn the subtitle ON by default. Is it correct to assume that this function has been removed? I, for one, am not able to get it working.
I remember a time when this was possible as well. I'm thinking that perhaps the feature is only available under certain conditions. Not sure. That being said, I just use BDedit after the fact to turn a given subtitle on by default if need be. I also have a nifty little program I downloaded called "Set Default BD Tracks" which works with "movie only" streams created via tsMuxer. It provides for setting the default audio track and default subtitle track including whether you want the given title to play once or play repeatedly.
Lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2021, 22:25   #30763  |  Link
user404

I'm running BDRB on windows 8.1 not in/on a VM.

I have a gigabyte motherboard, the GEFORCE1660, and an i5 chip. This is setup as a HTPC however, the case is relatively small so the cooling isn't very good. Primarily because everything is so tight, I bought the 1660 to offload all the heavy lifting from the CPU to the GPU which I've got liquid cooled and when I use the GPU for tasks, it generally keeps the heat down more than when I use the CPU. It has kept the heat low for things like Plex, Jellyfin and xsplit/twitch.

My workstation and my laptop are both linux, thats what I use at work so I'm most familiar with it. I do run VM's in the workstation, maybe the confusion is that I said I have cross compiled software, in particular ffmpeg and a few others on a Linux VM for my windows 8.1 HTPC. I did this specifically because many devs are leaving behind win 7/8 in favor of only toolchains or compilers that work on Win10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
@user404

When encoding, there are times when you have to use AVISYNTH to modify the source in order to make it compliant (--avs). There are also some settings available in SETUP that require it. When I implemented NVENCC I added checks so that whenever possible it would use the GPU to perform those functions (eliminating the AVISYNTH requirement). But AVISYNTH is very powerful, and sometimes there is no choice except to use it (performing functions that aren't available on the GPU). When that is the case, you'll see the GPU usage drop and the CPU usage go up.

If I read your posts correctly, it looks like you're running BD-RB on a VM under Linux, is that right? If so, I have to say that running software that works closely with hardware (like NVENCC) can run into issues when implemented on a virtual machine. That makes compatibility a little hard to ensure, and very difficult to debug. You never know when an issue is related to the software or the VM environment. If you're not running it on a VM, then ignore this paragraph.
user404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2021, 06:10   #30764  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
You might be thinking of DVD Rebuilder.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2021, 13:11   #30765  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I just tried it. Before you start your job you right-click on a subtitle in the stream list and a popup menu appears. You then select "Turn subtitle on". After you do so, "[TURNED ON]" will appear next to the subtitle in the list.

But it is transient. If you exit BD-RB and reopen it -- you will have to select it again. On the other hand, turning it on and adding it to the BATCH list will hold the setting.

Did the popup menu not appear when you tried it?

Last edited by jdobbs; 31st July 2021 at 13:35.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2021, 16:04   #30766  |  Link
musiclover

@jdobbs
I tried it on different blu-rays but the popup menu does not appear. Will I have to make changes to the ini file?

Edit
Oh, I see now. It only works in movie-only mode. And I wanted to use it for a series blu-ray in full-backup mode.

Last edited by musiclover; 31st July 2021 at 18:08.
Old 31st July 2021, 20:55   #30767  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
@jdobbs
I tried it on different blu-rays but the popup menu does not appear. Will I have to make changes to the ini file?

Edit
Oh, I see now. It only works in movie-only mode. And I wanted to use it for a series blu-ray in full-backup mode.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. You can't do it on a full backup because it would require BD-RB to modify the code of the original. Interpreting the code stream, following all the alternative paths, and making modifications to each would be a pretty significant programming project.

Last edited by jdobbs; 31st July 2021 at 20:57.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2021, 22:30   #30768  |  Link
Lowpro

On a related note...
If you turn a subtitle track on by default using BDedit keep in mind that if multiple playlists are involved that change may carry over to the next playlist when playing the resulting Blu-ray. As such, you may need to update each playlist telling each whether you want a subtitle track turned on by default or not. At least that's what I've observed anyway. An example of this would be a TV series authored to Blu-ray where only certain episodes contain forced subtitles, the forced subtitles in each case being their own subtitle track. If you only want those subtitle tracks turned on by default you also need to set the playlists without a forced subtitle track to not have any subtitle tracks turned on by default.

Last edited by Lowpro; 31st July 2021 at 22:44.
Old 1st August 2021, 08:34   #30769  |  Link
musiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
On a related note...
If you turn a subtitle track on by default using BDedit keep in mind that if multiple playlists are involved that change may carry over to the next playlist when playing the resulting Blu-ray. As such, you may need to update each playlist telling each whether you want a subtitle track turned on by default or not. At least that's what I've observed anyway. An example of this would be a TV series authored to Blu-ray where only certain episodes contain forced subtitles, the forced subtitles in each case being their own subtitle track. If you only want those subtitle tracks turned on by default you also need to set the playlists without a forced subtitle track to not have any subtitle tracks turned on by default.
Is there a manual for turning subtitles on by default in the playlists using BDedit?
Old 1st August 2021, 16:27   #30770  |  Link
gonca

Do Quick_Play menus work with hevc, or am I messing up again?
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2021, 17:16   #30771  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Is there a manual for turning subtitles on by default in the playlists using BDedit?
I worked up a quick tutorial here. Enjoy!
Old 1st August 2021, 19:12   #30772  |  Link
musiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
I worked up a quick tutorial here. Enjoy!
Thank you Lowpro, that was very illuminating.
It's a shame there are not more of these manuals for BDedit. I find it a very difficult program to use and understand.

Last edited by musiclover; 1st August 2021 at 20:17.
Old 1st August 2021, 20:25   #30773  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Do Quick_Play menus work with hevc, or am I messing up again?
Yes. The menu itself is not HEVC, but it works with HEVC content.
Old 1st August 2021, 21:25   #30774  |  Link
gonca

Works fine
The software player seems to have issues but a burnt disc worked flawlessly
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2021, 03:03   #30775  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Works fine
The software player seems to have issues but a burnt disc worked flawlessly
Not sure what you are encountering with your software based Blu-ray player, but at times with PowerDVD 18 I'm not able to navigate a given Blu-ray menu with my keyboard initially and it's not specific to QP menus. It happens with retail Blu-ray's as well. Minimizing PowerDVD, then maximizing it again always resolves the issue.

Last edited by Lowpro; 22nd January 2022 at 11:04.
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:19   #30776  |  Link
Lathe

Oooooookay... well, I guess I need to make another $100 donation or something in order to get my question answered...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2021, 15:11   #30777  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Oooooookay... well, I guess I need to make another $100 donation or something in order to get my question answered...
I accept Paypal. Once the funds clear I'll answer your question. Thanks!
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:01   #30778  |  Link
abogard

Hello. I have a disc that comes with the theatrical version and the director's cut of a movie; however when I try to re-encode to a BD25 I only get the theatrical version files to show for re-encoding. There is a different playlist for each version and each of them has a set of different m2ts files to accomplish their goal, however BDRB is not displaying the files of the second playlist (director's cut) and they are not being processed. Since some of the files are shared between versions and I like to remove HD audio the result is a movie that suddenly skips sound because it changes from regular DTS to DTS-MA and then back. I really don't know if I made sense, but if I did I'd really appreciate any help. By the way I do have the MIN_M2TS_SIZE=0 and MIN_PLAYLIST_MINS=0 settings on.
abogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2021, 21:11   #30779  |  Link
spotswood

Quote:
Originally Posted by abogard View Post
Hello. I have a disc that comes with the theatrical version and the director's cut of a movie; however when I try to re-encode to a BD25 I only get the theatrical version files to show for re-encoding. There is a different playlist for each version and each of them has a set of different m2ts files to accomplish their goal, however BDRB is not displaying the files of the second playlist (director's cut) and they are not being processed. Since some of the files are shared between versions and I like to remove HD audio the result is a movie that suddenly skips sound because it changes from regular DTS to DTS-MA and then back. I really don't know if I made sense, but if I did I'd really appreciate any help. By the way I do have the MIN_M2TS_SIZE=0 and MIN_PLAYLIST_MINS=0 settings on.
Are you doing a full disc or movie-only backup? If movie-only choose Mode from the top menu and then "Other Movie-Only Playlist". The Directors cut should be the longer playlist, choose that one. BDRB should then show and process only that playlist. I do this all the time and it works great. Good luck!
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2021, 21:35   #30780  |  Link
spotswood

Quote:
You can also do this with MKVToolNix @ https://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html. Once you have your movie loaded you can highlight each subtitle track and then flag each as either default, forced, hearing impaired, commentary track etc. Works great. This of course implies you are backing up to .mkv. Have fun!
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote