Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th December 2016, 22:57   #41541  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Guys,

Is there a way for madvr to run in PLEX?
Sort of. Use the Plex for Kodi addon and install Kodi DSPlayer. I'm not sure Plex for Kodi works with DSPlayer, though. DSPlayer needs SMB shares.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 23:02   #41542  |  Link
Warner306

Emby Theater uses madVR as its renderer.

Last edited by Warner306; 16th December 2016 at 23:20.
Old 16th December 2016, 23:24   #41543  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Is there a way for madvr to run in PLEX?
Why not just using the new "Plex Media Player" based on the player we can't write about (mpv) here?
https://nightlies.plex.tv/public-tes...esting/latest/
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 05:08   #41544  |  Link
MariaX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Another question... What is the limit on the best render time? 30, 40 ms...?
Quote:
To avoid dropped frames and/or presentation glitches the sum of the average stats "deinterlace" (if present), "rendering", and "present" must be a bit below the frame time, Y, in the line "v-sync [X] ms, frame [Y] ms". For example, progressive 29.97 fps video has a new frame every 33.37 ms so "rendering"+"present" needs to be a few ms below 33.37 ms. However, 23.976 fps video only has a new frame every 41.71 ms so you can use more demanding settings with lower frame rate video. Exactly how far below the frame time is required for glitch free playback is dependent on the system but a few milliseconds is usually sufficient.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171787
MariaX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 07:14   #41545  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaX9 View Post
If I understood correctly, in videos of 23,976fps the best time is always below 41.71 in rendering avg stats? Always without dropped (0) frames or presentation glitches.

Like here...

http://i.imgur.com/PzRQ99q.jpg

Old 17th December 2016, 08:03   #41546  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
If I understood correctly, in videos of 23,976fps the best time is always below 41.71 in rendering avg stats? Always without dropped (0) frames or presentation glitches.
Correct, though some dropped frames, delayed frames, or presentation glitches on startup or after seeking are OK.
Old 17th December 2016, 08:19   #41547  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
But in this scene, I find NGU high a lot better than Super-xbr 150, even NGU low is better. The pearls are more defined with NGU.
Defined isn't the word I'd use, more like over brightened or vibrant/dynamic. Personally I'm not a fan of what it does for chroma, it doesn't look that good to me in either animated or real world content.

madshi, can you allow 'chroma upscaling algorithm parameter' increase & decrease change super-xbr sharpness settings? madVR says there are no parameters.

Last edited by ryrynz; 17th December 2016 at 08:27.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 09:11   #41548  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Correct, though some dropped frames, delayed frames, or presentation glitches on startup or after seeking are OK.
yes. I saw it. I use ctrl+r to reset stats. 1 year ago I use madvr for the first time, but just now i getting a good idea how it works. Is amazong!
The only thing I can not do is that the old movies look good, without noise.

My TV (LG OLED EF9500) has an excellent player (LG Smartshare) but, very limited. (No internal sub ej) But the quality of reproduction is very good, especially in old movies.

Last edited by Oguignant; 17th December 2016 at 09:19.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 09:38   #41549  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Defined isn't the word I'd use, more like over brightened or vibrant/dynamic. Personally I'm not a fan of what it does for chroma, it doesn't look that good to me in either animated or real world content.
I think the process of downsampling the chroma tends to dim colors in fine details so NGU's brightening of them is usually correct if compared to an RGB or 4:4:4 original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
madshi, can you allow 'chroma upscaling algorithm parameter' increase & decrease change super-xbr sharpness settings? madVR says there are no parameters.
super-xbr doubles luma and chroma at the same time, without converting to YCbCr; separating them would cost performance.
Old 17th December 2016, 09:55   #41550  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I think the process of downsampling the chroma tends to dim colors in fine details so NGU's brightening of them is usually correct if compared to an RGB or 4:4:4 original.
Yeah I'm aware. Any good 4:4:4 ground truth around?

Quote:
super-xbr doubles luma and chroma at the same time, without converting to YCbCr; separating them would cost performance.
Ah, cheers.
Old 17th December 2016, 10:52   #41551  |  Link
Cinemancave

I am getting screen tearing in exclusive mode under Windows 7, regardless of the display I use (TV, projector, computer screen). The tearing goes away if I disable exclusive mode. What are the drawbacks of NOT running exclusive mode? My GPU is GeForce 1080.
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 12:11   #41552  |  Link
ryrynz

Main drawback is not being able to run 10 bit output but for many this doesn't do much anyway. Windowed mode is a lot better than it used to be, because of it's usability it's been my preferred output for quite some time.
So basically you're losing pretty much nothing beneficial. Set and forget.
Old 17th December 2016, 12:30   #41553  |  Link
Oguignant

Without so much noise or artifacts

Quote:

I keep asking for help. How to make these images look better? Without so much noise or artifacts? Is there anything I can do with madvr?

Last edited by Oguignant; 17th December 2016 at 12:52.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 12:49   #41554  |  Link
StinDaWg

^^ Jesus, post thumbnails please.

What you're calling noise/artifacts is just film grain. It's supposed to look like that...

Last edited by StinDaWg; 17th December 2016 at 12:52.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 12:53   #41555  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
^^ Jesus, post thumbnails please.

What you're calling noise/artifacts is just film grain. It's supposed to look like that...
Sorry! my mistake!
Old 17th December 2016, 13:48   #41556  |  Link
StinDaWg

Unless you ticked "add grain" under upscaling refinement. If so, then disable it. If not, then it's just how this particular video is supposed to look.

A lot of movies have heavy film grain, and some people don't like the way it looks. Personally, I love it, if that's the look they were going for.

Moarrr grain.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 17th December 2016 at 13:54.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 13:52   #41557  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Unless you ticked "add grain" under upscaling refinement. If so, then disable it. If not, then it's just how this particular video is supposed to look.
No, it is disabled. I do not use refinements.
Old 17th December 2016, 15:06   #41558  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:

A lot of movies have heavy film grain, and some people don't like the way it looks. Personally, I love it, if that's the look they were going for.

Moarrr grain.
It happens to me only with old movies. The tv player (lg smartshare) plays it much better, without so much noise/grain. Looks much better for me.
Some way to eliminate noise/grain without losing quality and definition? I tried denoise shader, but I did not get a good result.
Old 17th December 2016, 18:50   #41559  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
It happens to me only with old movies. The tv player (lg smartshare) plays it much better, without so much noise/grain. Looks much better for me.
Some way to eliminate noise/grain without losing quality and definition? I tried denoise shader, but I did not get a good result.
Do you have enhance details on?
Old 17th December 2016, 19:00   #41560  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Most TV's/players nowadays implement something called digital noise removal, which smooth over your image to varying degrees and remove grain, often at the cost of removing detail at the same time.

madvr doesn't currently have anything that removes grain from images. At least not yet. There should be custom scripts out there that do it that may or may not work together with madvr.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling