Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 30th March 2019, 09:45   #1701  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Pixelisation happens usually when a non-I-frame is displayed and the reference I-frame is missing, damaged or not properly decoded. I suppose that VirtualDub jumps directly to the requested frame, without going first to the previous I-frame. It tries then to display the frame with the data in memory from the previous frame if has displayed, and of course it fails. If the codec used to decode the video doesn't create first an index file, the codec doesn't know where are the i-frames in the file, and it displays what it can, or, like most "standard" players, it shows the next I-frame and it is not frame accurate.

Note that AvsPmod (or any avisynth based player) can exhibit similar problems, if the codec doesn't create an index file first. Usually, the first time you play a movie decoded with a good avisynth filter, you have to wait a long time. It's because the index must be created. It's a pain, but at least, you have a good guarantee that the playback is frame accurate.

Last edited by r0lZ; 30th March 2019 at 09:48.
Old 1st April 2019, 08:41   #1702  |  Link
WSC4

I guess you are right on this. I ran VirtualDub with a TS file and under File Info it states Seeking: index missing. Loading the same video with AvsPmod and I can hear it loading and building. I re-muxed the file with tsMuxeR with quite a few different parameters, but it made no difference. As this has nothing to do with tsMuxuR, I'll visit the VirtualDub thread.
Old 18th April 2019, 16:38   #1703  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Combo 3D/2D discs

Been surfing unsuccessfully on this and feel someone in this thread will know: For a BD-50 disc like Avatar 3D Limited Edition where they show that both 3D and 2D versions are together on the one disc, is anything being sacrificed to this combination? It appears to have the DTS-MA audio...I am puzzled about whether to combine 3D and 2D on a single disc sacrifices bitrate, and specifically that the 2D track might not be as good as a single 2D Blu-ray???

Sorry, a newbie-ish question but for the life of me I can't find answers about this anywhere.

Last edited by laserfan; 18th April 2019 at 16:41.
Old 20th April 2019, 13:45   #1704  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Been surfing unsuccessfully on this and feel someone in this thread will know: For a BD-50 disc like Avatar 3D Limited Edition where they show that both 3D and 2D versions are together on the one disc, is anything being sacrificed to this combination? It appears to have the DTS-MA audio...I am puzzled about whether to combine 3D and 2D on a single disc sacrifices bitrate, and specifically that the 2D track might not be as good as a single 2D Blu-ray???

Sorry, a newbie-ish question but for the life of me I can't find answers about this anywhere.

I don't know this particular disc. However when you play the Base stream of the 3D MVC you get it in 2D and you shouldn't be loosing anything …..

I don't know whether a dedicated 2D version of the said disc is of better quality.
Old 22nd April 2019, 21:19   #1705  |  Link
ocean

@laserfan
Hi, what Sharc said is correct, the bitrate difference between the two versions on the Base stream is low, it is 23 Mbps for 2D and 21 Mbps for 3D version, however it is not the only parameter indicating the quality of the movie:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=186578
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:00   #1706  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Thanks guys, and for the link, though I did quickly get-in over my head technically. I have ordered the Avatar 3D-plus-2D-on-one-disc edition and will see for myself I guess at some point.

Though as I read that thread it seems "once you've seen a 3D version you'll never watch in 2D again" from many folks there! It's brand-new to me!

EDIT: I tripped across an old and very easy-to-understand explanation that elaborates on what Sharc said, here.

Quote:
...codec MVC... creates a "MAIN" file and a "Derived" file... The MAIN file is IDENTICAL to a standard h.264/AVC file (usually L, but could be R). The DERIVED file is a binary file that has encoded the difference between the L and R, much like P and B frames are "derived" from differences with the I frame... MAIN and DERIVED files are layed out on BD, where the MAIN file is kept in the standard STREAM folder as an M2TS file (for complete backward compatibility with 2D BD) [and] ...to maintain both backward compatibility AND efficiency, [using] multiple "Hard Links"...
And Sharc it does seem very highly unlikely doesn't it, that the base/main file would be built differently between 3D and 2D BD releases.

Last edited by laserfan; 26th April 2019 at 22:10.
Old 24th July 2019, 04:02   #1707  |  Link
no-one

For 3D Diy need to change from "insert sei and vui data if absent" To "Do not change SEI and VUI data" and Uncheck "Continually Insert SPS/PPS" ?
Old 30th July 2019, 11:49   #1708  |  Link
outgoing

Does this mean that the code has been released to continue developing tsmuxer?
https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer
Old 30th July 2019, 12:39   #1709  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by outgoing View Post
Exactly.
Old 30th July 2019, 14:45   #1710  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by outgoing View Post
And there's a dedicated topic about it here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176668
Old 31st July 2019, 06:23   #1711  |  Link
outgoing

Yup, I hadn't seen the new dedicated thread. Great news, hopefully the community can continue to develop it in the same line as before.
Old 7th August 2019, 12:12   #1712  |  Link
justdan96

If there are any bugs or feature requests please post them in the other topic, so I can collate them into the Todo in the repo!
Old 18th October 2019, 18:12   #1713  |  Link
HaDiHo

Sorry ... it does not have anything to do with 3D, but I'd like it if TsMuxer got an update that also allows UHD BDs
larger 70Gb to edit ...
But that will probably remain a dream

TSM2UHD is not nearly as good as the normal TS Muxer

Last edited by HaDiHo; 21st October 2019 at 13:04.
Old 19th October 2019, 09:13   #1714  |  Link
SpasV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDiHo View Post
Sorry ... it does not have anything to do with 3D, but I'd like it if TsMuxer got an update that also allows UHD BDs
larger 70Gb to edit ...
But that will probably remain a dream
Look here https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175120

Old 30th April 2020, 17:25   #1715  |  Link
Dasa21

tsMuxeR 2.6.16 problem with image format!

I am using the latest version of tsMuxeR 2.6.16. I have such a problem. When I convert Mkv to UHD with Bluray Uhd, when playing a bluray structure on a BD desktop player, I have a distorted image stretched on the TV! WHERE PLEASE BE ERROR?
Old 30th April 2020, 20:38   #1716  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasa21 View Post
I am using the latest version of tsMuxeR 2.6.16. I have such a problem. When I convert Mkv to UHD with Bluray Uhd, when playing a bluray structure on a BD desktop player, I have a distorted image stretched on the TV! WHERE PLEASE BE ERROR?
Please report the problems with the NEW tsMuxeR in its new thread,

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176668

This thread is "dead" and a moderator should lock it for good.
Closed Thread