Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th December 2011, 18:08   #1  |  Link
GL1zdA

Accelerated WMV3 on MPC-HC?

I have 2 computers with AMD Brazos (E-350). One is running XP, the other 7. MPC-HC plays most videos perfectly with DXVA. But there is one exception: WMV3. While it isn't a problem most of the time, some videos with high bitrate (~15 Mbps) will drop frames when rendered only on the CPU.

On 7 these videos will work with DXVA in WMP 12 because it can work with the Media Foundation AMD Playback Decoder (using VC1_VLD, what DXVA Checker reports). On XP they can be played with hardware acceleration using PowerDVD 11. Unfortunately I can't make the CyberLink Video Decoder work with MPC-HC - it will ignore it and fall back to its internal decoder (even if I add the WMV3 subtype manually, for some reason the decoder does not announce, that it supports it). I managed to get it working in GraphStudio (connected the video to the CyberLink Decoder and the to Video Mixing Renderer 9) - it renderes successfully and the CPU usage is low. I found a CLVD Pack, but I don't feel it's right to pay for pirated codecs, so I won't test it.

The question is: is there any way to make it work with hardware acceleration in XP without installing PowerDVD (or how to make the PowerDVD Decoder work with MPC-HC)?

Last edited by GL1zdA; 18th December 2011 at 18:57.
GL1zdA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 00:00   #2  |  Link
mindbomb

use lav splitter and the cyberlink decoder should work in mpc hc.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 21:07   #3  |  Link
GL1zdA

OK, I solved it. If someone is interested, here's what worked for me:
1) Extract VideoFilter from Data1.7z from PowerDVD 11 setup
2) Extract VideoFilter from Data1.7z form PowerDVD 11 Update setup (overwrite files extracted in the previous step)
3) Add CLCvd.ax as external filter in MPC-HC. Double click it's entry and enable DXVA (it wont be checked if you open the properties again, but this was what actually makes things work, otherwise MPC will always select its internal decoder or the WMVideo Decoder DMO).
4) Use default renderer.
It should now play most videos through CyberLink PowerDVD Decoder (PDVD11) with acceleration. But it would still ignore WMV3, so I had to add the subtype {33564D57-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} for MEDIAType_Video for PDVD11.

Last edited by GL1zdA; 19th December 2011 at 21:27.
GL1zdA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dxva, mpc-hc, pdvd11, wmv3