Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th November 2013, 01:47   #1  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

MPC-HC Frame Step messed up by LAV bitstreaming

Hi folks,

I recently did a fresh Win7sp1 x64 installation on my PC, and installed the latest stable build (1.7.0, from September 29). It had been more than a year since I updated MPC-HC.

One of the things I like to do is frame-step one frame at a time through action sequences. I always configure the right arrow key to do this for me. Other than this I go with very default settings for MPC-HC. No external filters or anything exotic.

When I set the frame step key up in MPC-HC 1.7, initially it worked fine. But I noticed with the default configuration I was only getting stereo PCM output (via SPDIF) to my AVR. I configured the LAV audio filter to bitstream AC-3 and DTS (which are all my old AVR can deal with). Bingo. Proper AC-3 and DTS output to the AVR.

But, after doing that adjustment, frame-by-frame stepping is now very jerky. One or two steps might be OK then it will suddenly jerk forward several frames. It's unusable.

Turning off bitstreaming in the LAV Audio Filter properties solves the problem, at the cost of surround sound.

What's the proper fix for this?

Thanks in advance!

Marc
Frankenscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 02:32   #2  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

Oh... one more thing in case it has bearing on the case:

I've configured a 150 msec audio delay in the LAV audio filter properties. I need this to sync the audio with the video on my TV. Testing doesn't show this contributes to the problem (I get the issue whether or not I have this enabled).

I go via TOSLINK cable to the AVR, and via HDMI to the TV.

Marc

EDIT: I did further testing on a second system, and got the same effect, though only when using SPDIF HIGH DEFINITION output set as the device. Not using the plain SPDIF, just the high definition one. Using USB speakers, I didn't encounter the problem.

Last edited by Frankenscript; 4th November 2013 at 03:08.
Old 4th November 2013, 05:01   #3  |  Link
mindbomb

make sure you select one of the options prefaced with "directsound" if you are selecting the output in mpc hc

Last edited by mindbomb; 4th November 2013 at 05:17.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 12:49   #4  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

Hi Mindbomb-

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean in Options... Playback... Output... Audio Renderer?

It was set to "System default," so I changed it to the DirectSound Realtek High Def S/PDIF setting. No change in the frame step issue.

On my test system (which is also an AMD CPU and an ATI graphics card, but with no AVR actually connected to the SPDIF port), I can reproduce the frame step problem when set to the DirectSound SPDIF as well (though, of course I hear nothing).

However, on this test system, I've noticed it often (not always) switches to the ffdshow audio decoder instead of LAV when using my USB speakers, though I haven't intentionally made that selection. Where do you pick the decoder, in the current MPC-HC? It defaults to LAV for everything, usually, but when messing with stuff, sometimes ffdshow pops up.

Thanks in advance for your continued help. Somehow I run afoul of these weird fringe issues with disturbing frequency.

Marc
Old 5th November 2013, 02:47   #5  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

I hear there is a new 5.9.1 version of LAV... presumably MPC-HC will incorporate it soon. I've heard they did some audio decoder tweaks so maybe this will help my issue.

Another way I could go is to keep the LAV splitter & video decoder and configure some other audio decoder... since I'm just passing through S/PDIF probably any would do, as long as they have configurable audio delay (which I need to get proper lip sync).

Other than LAV, what's the current "in" audio decoder that gives lip sync. I think I've used AC3Filter in the past...

Marc
Old 5th November 2013, 12:45   #6  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

OK, I figured out that apparently MPC-HC has just the LAV decoders/filters built in and anything else needs to be set up as external. No big deal... Still it would be nice if this issue were fixed. Here's another thread, where someone was having issues with AC3. He was able to simply let it pass through, and it worked for him, but I need to use a decoder with configurable delay to get lip sync:

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/topic/1805-help-with-lav-filters-and-ac3/
Old 6th November 2013, 03:04   #7  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

Sigh. Today's nightly build with LAV5.9.1 didn't cure the framestep problem.
Old 12th November 2013, 12:35   #8  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

The problem turns out not to be with LAV, confirming nevcairiel's assertion. It's in the EVR-CP renderer of MPC-HC. Short term fix is to use the Sync renderer in MPC-HC instead of EVR-CP.

There's a ticket on it over on the MPC-HC Tracker:

https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/3688#

Tags
bitstreaming, framestep, lav, mpc-hc