Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 17th July 2015, 23:43   #1  |  Link
doomleox99

Best Video Source

Hi everyone, before anything else, english is not my first language so sorry if you see some mistakes in my writing.

I have some HD videos that I want to encode using MeGUI to 100MB files with a resolution of 1280x720.

I have a question and is very simple: SHOULD I USE 1080p or 720p AS SOURCE FOR ENCODING?

Which source will give me the best results regarding quality?

DOES IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?

I hope you understand me. Thank you all.
Old 18th July 2015, 12:23   #2  |  Link
colours

1. Don't spam all-caps, boldface or underlines. They make you look annoying.

2. Please mention where you got your 300 MB and 600 MB source files from, and why you're not encoding from the originals that those source files were transcoded from.

3. This is not a MeGUI-related question. It's not even an H.264 or x264 question. Your question distils into "which looks better; the 300 MB file, or the 600 MB file?", and the answer to that is most easily answered by looking at the files with your own eyes.
Old 18th July 2015, 13:27   #3  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

It is usually hard or even impossible to answer such question objectively. You should try and see for yourself. However there are a few things that I can say about your case.
If we assume that 720p and 1080p sources are similar except for the resolution and filesize, means encoded in a similar way, and none of them has any kind of unique issues...
then knowing that our "desired encoding result" will have 80% (or less) filesize compared to the smallest source, it is probably safe to assume that regardless of the source we'll use, we won't see any significant difference, if at all.
In other words, the final compression is so high that any kind of benefits that already highly compressed 1080p source might bring will probably be destroyed during encoding anyway.
However "does it make any difference" and "best result" are contradicting questions. If you really want "best possible" result, you obviously need to use "best possible" source.

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 18th July 2015 at 13:37.
Old 18th July 2015, 14:09   #4  |  Link
hello_hello

I think the golden rule would be to use the best quality source, and that mightn't be the same resolution each time.
Old 18th July 2015, 17:13   #5  |  Link
tebasuna51

@doomleox99

You can't open a new thread with the same content than other, deleted by you, with rule 6 transgression.
Thread closed.

Tags
100mb, best video source, encoding, source